PDA

View Full Version : 81-Year-Old Great Grandmother Jailed Over Runaway Dogs

green73
03-14-2014, 01:55 PM
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/03/14/81-year-old-great-grandmother-jailed-for-2-days-for-pet-violation/

HARFORD COUNTY, Md. (WJZ)—An 81-year-old great-grandmother is placed behind bars for a minor pet violation committed nearly a year ago. The Harford County woman says she tried paying thousands of dollars in fines but couldn’t afford them.

As Gigi Barnett explains, the senior citizen says her punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

Mary Magdalene Root’s small dogs are her constant companions. So much so that the 81-year-old widow spent two nights in the Harford County Detention Center fighting to keep them.

“I’ve never had a crime. Never. Not even a traffic ticket,” Root said.

Back in May, Root says her pets somehow got loose from her yard several times.

A neighbor took pictures of the dogs running down the street and reported her to Animal Control.

The agency slapped Root with a $7,000 fine or she could spend nearly a year in jail.

“I’m struggling to pay my house taxes. I couldn’t pay it. It’s a different thing when you leave your dogs out and you don’t care. But I do care,” Root said.

But when the cancer survivor failed to show up at court on her doctor’s orders, a judge had Root arrested.

She was booked, fingerprinted and issued a striped jumpsuit. She waited to see a judge in a cell without her cancer medication.

“I sort of clutched my Bible. And was crying and went to sleep,” Root said.

Root’s defense attorneys asked the judge to let the senior citizen go. She had no previous criminal history and she was in failing health. The judge said no. Instead, he ordered her to pay a $2,500 bail. And if she was able to pay it and get out, then no animals would be allowed back on her property.

“She gave me the works. I feel like I’m a criminal, but yet I don’t feel like I’ve done anything,” Root said.

Then on the second night, a Good Samaritan paid the bond.

“There are very nice people out there. But then there are some people who are so struck on the strictness of the law. I don’t know whether maybe that needs to be looked at,” Root said.

But now she can’t go back to her home of 44 years. Under the judge’s orders, the dogs aren’t allowed.

But Root can’t give them up.

“I love them,” she said. “I was planning on coming down on the dogs. But my dogs, they keep my company and I love them.”

Root says she’s had an outpouring of support from people in the community. In fact, there’s a petition asking lawmakers to make cases like this a little more lenient for senior citizens.

“I don’t know if I’ll ever be the same. I can’t pull myself back,” Root said.

Root says she was taking care of her daughter’s four dogs at the time of her arrest. Now, she’s looking for good homes for the dogs.

LibertyEagle
03-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Sheesh. This crap is ridiculous. :(

Dr.3D
03-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Those bastards won't even let an old person die in peace with her companions. This is so sad I feel like crying.

mad cow
03-14-2014, 02:05 PM
The agency slapped Root with a $7,000 fine or she could spend nearly a year in jail.

That is way,way beyond ridiculous.

Dr.3D
03-14-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm thinking there is another reason. Perhaps the judge is in cahoots with an old folks home or something along those lines and they want to woman to pay them for the rest of her life.

Suzanimal
03-14-2014, 02:09 PM
A neighbor took pictures of the dogs running down the street and reported her to Animal Control.

The judge said no. Instead, he ordered her to pay a $2,500 bail. And if she was able to pay it and get out, then no animals would be allowed back on her property.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with people?:mad:

Then on the second night, a Good Samaritan paid the bond.

I'm glad she's out of jail (yay for the Good Samaritan), I hope the poor woman gets her dogs back.

Dr.3D
03-14-2014, 02:10 PM

I'm glad she's out of jail (yay for the Good Samaritan), I hope the poor woman gets her dogs back.

I hope the neighbor with the camera gets what's coming to em too.

aGameOfThrones
03-14-2014, 02:18 PM
and they tell me debtors prison don't exist anymore

aGameOfThrones
03-14-2014, 02:44 PM

I really hope an aids infected monkey makes sweet love to you... that you don't want.

Root’s defense attorneys asked the judge to let the senior citizen go. She had no previous criminal history and she was in failing health. The judge said no. Instead, he ordered her to pay a $2,500 bail. And if she was able to pay it and get out, then no animals would be allowed back on her property.

http://asset-3.soup.io/asset/2169/0362_321b.jpeg

Root says she’s had an outpouring of support from people in the community. In fact, there’s a petition asking lawmakers to make cases like this a little more lenient for senior citizens.

This is not acceptable either young or old.

Note: don't know if the piece of shit judge is jew, but liked the gif and movie to find another one

Philhelm
03-14-2014, 03:49 PM
This is low even for the justus system. Vile fucks.

invisible
03-14-2014, 04:00 PM
This sort of stuff is extortion, plain and simple. Years ago, someone let one of my dogs loose from the yard. Unhooked the chain that fastened his collar to a steel cable run between two trees. They left a pointed stick, which was apparently used to fend off the more protective of the two, who was still where he should have been. I went to look for him, and encountered a cop behind the police station not far from my house. Asked the cop if he had seen my dog, describing him and explaining that someone had let him loose. The cop had him in the back of a cop car (at least he had the windows open a few inches), gave him back to me, and wrote me a "dog at large" citation. I went to court to contest the citation. In reading the actual ordinance, I discovered that the court would have prove intent. So I showed up in court with the pointed stick, and the dog's chain to show that he was securely fastened. The cop attempted to tell the judge that my dog appeared to be "thin and malnourished" (which was a lie). I objected on the grounds of irrelevance, and the judge sustained. I explained how the dogs were fastened to their run when they were let out, explained the pointed stick, etc. Then I read a copy of the actual ordinance, and explained that the city had no way of proving that I intentionally just let my dog wander freely around town. Case dismissed.

I imagine that other people in this same situation wouldn't necessarily be so savvy, and can get stuck with fines and such pretty easily. My question in this case is, how did the dogs get loose from this lady's yard? Pretty convenient that a neighbor just happened to be around with a camera at the right moment. This one smells like a setup.

Anti Federalist
03-14-2014, 04:22 PM
This is a police state.

Where heavy handed and draconian punishment is meted out in an arbitrary and deliberately cruel fashion in order to make a point.

What point is that, you ask?

You are the servant, and we are the master.

Does not make it better or right or justifiable, just a clear statement of what the fact is, here in 2014 America.

The bigger question is "what are we going to do about it" especially in light of the fact that the majority of your fellow citizens are, not just content with the ways things are now, they've made it clear that they want more of this.

Sheesh. This crap is ridiculous. :(

Those bastards won't even let an old person die in peace with her companions. This is so sad I feel like crying.

That is way,way beyond ridiculous.

Dr.3D
03-14-2014, 04:29 PM
This is a police state.

Where heavy handed and draconian punishment is meted out in an arbitrary and deliberately cruel fashion in order to make a point.

Does not make it better or right or justifiable, just a clear statement of what the fact is, here in 2014 America.

The bigger question is "what are we going to do about it" especially in light of the fact that the majority of your fellow citizens are, not just content with the ways things are now, they've made it clear that they want more of this.
This was one fellows answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbG9i1oGPA

TomtheTinker
03-14-2014, 04:51 PM
This is a police state.

Anybody who know me, knows I am no conformist.

I'm getting older now and have many battle scars because my unwillingness to fold.

Recently I have conformed more than I would like to admit and it has left a bad taste in my mouth and a shadow over my spirit.

Situations like these remind me on why while in the face of a bully you don't back peddle...you stand your ground

I'm truly sick of this shit it makes me sick..we should be ashamed of ourselves for our inaction.

Anti Federalist
03-14-2014, 05:02 PM
This was one fellows answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbG9i1oGPA

Here is another:

http://i.imgur.com/ZTSq3Jw.jpg

Cissy
03-14-2014, 05:20 PM
The judge should be in jail.

Suzanimal
03-14-2014, 05:24 PM
The judge should be in jail.

With the neighbor and that infected monkey.

Henry Rogue
03-14-2014, 06:41 PM
She must have been arrested by "one of those ""goood"" cops". You know the ones that care about you.

DamianTV
03-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Not only can we obviously see "Guilty until proven Innocent" but also "Criminal until proven otherwise" mentality all over this situation. Laws, Fines, Convictions, and Imprisonment for even more Non Crimes.

Dr.3D
03-14-2014, 07:14 PM
What this woman is going through reminds me of this episode of Bonanza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9jQim6_0pw
It makes me cry tears of happiness, every time I see the ending.

SeanTX
03-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Imposing draconian fines for minor violations is the perfect way to get more people dragged deeper into the bowels of the JustUs system. Can't pay the outrageous fine? Voila, what was just a ticket turns into a warrant for your arrest, and jail time. So a lot of people who are not really criminals will get some cage time, or pay out a lot of $$$, either way it's a win-win for the state. More butts in jail means more federal money, more profit for the private jails/prisons, etc.

$7000 for dogs getting loose? I would have imagined a ticket/fine for that wouldn't be much more than $200 or so (I'm guessing some of the $7K was late charges, surcharges, etc). Of course if the dogs had bit somebody while loose the woman should be liable for making things right with any victims, but that doesn't seem to have happened here. At most her "punishment" should have just been a small fine, and even that doesn't seem necessary in this case.

However, most people will pay reasonable fines, taking away the chance to cage them if they can't or won't pay the extortion fee to avoid being kidnapped.

Anti Federalist
03-14-2014, 07:33 PM
nor excessive fines imposed

Never heard of it - Judge Friendly

Imposing draconian fines for minor violations is the perfect way to get more people dragged deeper into the bowels of the JustUs system. Can't pay the outrageous fine? Voila, what was just a ticket turns into a warrant for your arrest, and jail time. So a lot of people who are not really criminals will get some cage time, or pay out a lot of $$$, either way it's a win-win for the state. More butts in jail means more federal money, more profit for the private jails/prisons, etc.

$7000 for dogs getting loose? I would have imagined a ticket/fine for that wouldn't be much more than $200 or so. Of course if the dogs had bit somebody while loose the woman should be liable for making things right with any victims, but that doesn't seem to have happened here. At most it should have just been a small fine (if that) . However, people can pay for reasonable fines, taking away the chance to cage them if they can't pay the extortion fee to avoid being kidnapped.

Danke
03-14-2014, 07:44 PM

$7000 for dogs getting loose? I would have imagined a ticket/fine for that wouldn't be much more than $200 or so. Of course if the dogs had bit somebody while loose the woman should be liable for making things right with any victims, but that doesn't seem to have happened here. At most it should have just been a small fine (if that) . However, people can pay for reasonable fines, taking away the chance to cage them if they can't pay the extortion fee to avoid being kidnapped.
When I was growing up in the cities, my friend's dog ran freely throughout the neighborhood. The father was a VP at General Mills.

Everyone loved him. It was funny all his loot we would find in his doghouse.

SeanTX
03-14-2014, 07:47 PM
When I was growing up in the cities, my friend's dog ran freely throughout the neighborhood. The father was a VP at General Mills.

Ah, the good 'ol days, before the Baby Boomer control freaks took over. A lot of this has to do with their "we have to do this/that to protect the children" nonsense -- we can't have kids learning how to deal with things like loose dogs. And they can't have dogs pooping all over their precious lawns either.

fr33
03-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Shoot the dogs, leave the woman alone. She isn't able to take care of her dogs properly so they run off and trespass. The neighbors could have taken care of their property and her property all while not involving the state.

fr33
03-14-2014, 09:34 PM

I've had neighbors' dogs chew the ears and noses off of cattle and run cattle through fences. I didn't love those dogs. I took them out.

LibertyEagle
03-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Shoot the dogs, leave the woman alone. She isn't able to take care of her dogs properly so they run off and trespass. The neighbors could have taken care of their property and her property all while not involving the state.

Or perhaps, instead of acting like an ass, offer to come over to help her fix her fence, or whatever needs to be done so the dogs can no longer escape from her back yard.

These particular dogs hadn't hurt anything or anyone. Why kill them?

fr33
03-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Or perhaps, instead of acting like an ass, offer to come over to help her fix her fence, or whatever needs to be done so the dogs can no longer escape from her back yard.

Some people are nicer and more tolerant than me. A bit of advice; keep your dogs off the property owned by people like me. I'm not obligated to put up with the bullshit. It might sound harsh but I've seen many a dog that was dropped off out here in the country to starve to death because the owners thought it was humane to do so.

Spikender
03-14-2014, 10:41 PM
A year jail over her dogs getting out and a seven thousand dollar fine?

Sometimes I pray that this is all a fantasy site and that all this stuff isn't happening that you guys share on here. But then I seek out these stories by clicking on links or searching, and I find them.

Damn.

SeanTX
03-15-2014, 08:41 AM

This didn't happen out in the country, so no need for a trashy redneck solution, like that guy offered. I've helped elderly neighbors whose dogs got out get them back, but then you have jackasses who would rather call animal control or shoot. Of course if they are attacking your livestock or something like that you may have to do whatever you have to do -- but that wasn't the case here.

phill4paul
03-15-2014, 08:49 AM

+rep

moostraks
03-15-2014, 09:10 AM
Sad story. This is why I prefer living in an urban situation between businesses. We have had more peace here then we had in suburban neighborhoods or the country. Animal control is a government control arm for those that have pets just as Social Services controls parents of children and the elderly. They have no problem seizing the property of the elderly and I wonder what motive there was for the judge to impose such a sentence with no consideration or remorse. Seems as though he was angling to drive her off the property if he knew the pets meant that much to her. My heart goes out to her.