PDA

View Full Version : The retired FL cop that shot a moviegoer for texting sent a text of his own.

phill4paul
03-14-2014, 07:13 AM
Curtis Reeves Also Was Texting Prior To His Fatal Gunshot In Florida Theater
WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. (CBS) -- Curtis Reeves, the Florida man accused of fatally shooting another movie-goer in a dispute over the victim texting in the theater, sent a text of his own before the movie started, according to recently released court documents.

The Tampa Bay Times reports that the documents show that Reeves, 71, who is charged with second-degree murder and is being held without bail, received a text from his son, Michael, telling his father that he was running late for the 1:20 p.m. showing of "Lone Survivor" on Jan. 13. Reeves reportedly texted back that he and his wife were in their seats.

According to the newspaper, the court documents reveal that when Michael Reeves finally got to the theater about 15 minutes later, his father had already shot Chad Oulson, who had been sitting in the row in front of him. Authorities say Reeves became upset with Oulson for texting with his daughter during the previews and shot him after an argument between the two.

Reeves, a retired police captain, pleaded not guilty to the charges against him. He has maintained that he shot Oulson in self-defense after the man attacked him.

According to the arrest report, witnesses told police that Reeves "confronted the victim about texting during the movie previews and went to advise management. When the defendant returned additional words were exchanged between the victim and the defendant and the victim turned and threw a bag of popcorn at the defendant. Witnesses advised they did not observe any punches being thrown. The defendant removed a handgun and shot [Oulson] in the chest."

The Times reports that Reeves is being held without bail and his next pre-trial hearing is set for July 9.

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_14038.shtml

roho76
03-14-2014, 07:17 AM
Just-Us was served.

GunnyFreedom
03-14-2014, 07:17 AM
The really sad thing is that I am totally not surprised.

specsaregood
03-14-2014, 07:24 AM
The really sad thing is that I am totally not surprised.

What are you not surprised about?

Also, I don't see the relevance. He sent the text BEFORE the movie started, not during. I don't think anybody has ever gotten upset about people texting before the movie.

GunnyFreedom
03-14-2014, 07:26 AM

Also, I don't see the relevance. He sent the text BEFORE the movie started, not during. I don't think anybody has ever gotten upset about people texting before the movie.

His murder victim also sent and received all his texts before the movie started.

specsaregood
03-14-2014, 07:29 AM
His murder victim also sent and received all his texts before the movie started.

Thx, well it certainly seems relevant now.

aGameOfThrones
03-14-2014, 07:32 AM

I don't think anybody until Curtis Reeves has ever gotten upset about people texting before the movie

PaulConventionWV
03-14-2014, 07:33 AM
He feared for his life. Popcorn lung is a serious condition.

phill4paul
03-14-2014, 07:45 AM
"He just shot a man."
"Let's throw him to the ground and get a coupla boots to the head in!"
"He says he is an ex-cop."
"Oh, that's different. C'mon ex-officer Reeves. Let's go take a stroll to the squad car. Take your time. Ya need some water? Let me get you some."

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnZc_ZpEcucnsR677hKl5J36gJOrPCw VKq-dvuhI4u2BgBgM5WmQ

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTT5WHNM-vNM064ZHv3RWbE_S3Jn9hfLXVBTcmlMgV6226Ned04

"Let me get that door for ya. Watch your head getting in, you don't want to hit it against the frame."

http://media2.abcactionnews.com//photo/2014/01/14/Curtis_Reeves_20140114064731_320_240.JPG

Spikender
03-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Cops are hypocrites.

Cops are liars.

Cops are worthless.

aGameOfThrones
03-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Cops are hypocrites.

Cops are liars.

Cops are worthless.

"They provide a service."~ Nigel Travis CEO of Dunkin' Donuts

surf
03-14-2014, 10:19 AM
I don't think anybody until Curtis Reeves has ever gotten upset about people texting before the movie

except me, though i'd never confront anyone about it in a theater. you smartyphone folks do kinda piss me off with your focus on the palm of your hand rather than the rest of the world. and if you're on your goddamn phone when in the bathroom and i'm taking a leak, i'll let you know that I hate you for it.

i'm getting old.

but to get out a gun rather than just throw-down.... that is effing pathetic.

Thor
03-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Typical cop... do as I say, not as I do...

Schifference
03-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Movie Rage! Coming soon to a theatre near you.

Schifference
03-14-2014, 10:30 AM
I remember reading something about guns not being allowed in theaters around the time of the Batman killing. I wonder if that theatre had a no gun policy.

pcosmar
03-14-2014, 10:57 AM
I remember reading something about guns not being allowed in theaters around the time of the Batman killing. I wonder if that theatre had a no gun policy.

Cops,(and retired cops) are exempt.

pcosmar
03-14-2014, 10:57 AM

pcosmar
03-14-2014, 10:58 AM

Double post glitch AGAIN.

but it bears repeating.

Pericles
03-14-2014, 10:58 AM

Laws are for the little people.

Schifference
03-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Laws are for the little people.
Do you mean Just Us?

limequat
03-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Wait, Reeves' wife was there too?

Dr.3D
03-14-2014, 02:26 PM
As usual, the criminals are the only ones with guns in a "Gun Free Zone."

Brian4Liberty
03-14-2014, 03:16 PM

Thx, well it certainly seems relevant now.

AFAIK, the (deceased) guy was texting during the previews, so usually the lights have been lowered at that point. But the actual movie had not started.

Cissy
03-14-2014, 05:23 PM
One expectation for me, another for thee....

OR

Texting is not a privilege for peasants, only for lords and knights of the realm!

PaulConventionWV
03-14-2014, 05:51 PM
except me, though i'd never confront anyone about it in a theater. you smartyphone folks do kinda piss me off with your focus on the palm of your hand rather than the rest of the world. and if you're on your goddamn phone when in the bathroom and i'm taking a leak, i'll let you know that I hate you for it.

i'm getting old.

but to get out a gun rather than just throw-down.... that is effing pathetic.

It bothers you that much what someone else does in their own free time? Wow, get a life.

RonPaulMall
03-15-2014, 11:54 PM

No, the jerk that got shot was texting during the previews. As in after the lights had gone off, and the shouldn't really be necessary but is because we live in a world of uncivilized savages PSA instructs everyone to turn off their cell phones so they don't disrupt everyone else has already been played.

One of the major mistakes people make is that they think manners are only the expression of happy ideas. There’s a whole range of behavior that can be expressed in a mannerly way. That’s what civilization is all about — doing it in a mannerly and not an antagonistic way. One of the places we went wrong was the naturalistic, Rousseauean movement of the Sixties in which people said, ”Why can’t you just say what’s on your mind?” In civilization there have to be some restraints. If we followed every impulse, we’d be killing one another. - Miss Manners

GunnyFreedom
03-16-2014, 03:19 AM
No, the jerk that got shot was texting during the previews. As in after the lights had gone off, and the shouldn't really be necessary but is because we live in a world of uncivilized savages PSA instructs everyone to turn off their cell phones so they don't disrupt everyone else has already been played.

One of the major mistakes people make is that they think manners are only the expression of happy ideas. There’s a whole range of behavior that can be expressed in a mannerly way. That’s what civilization is all about — doing it in a mannerly and not an antagonistic way. One of the places we went wrong was the naturalistic, Rousseauean movement of the Sixties in which people said, ”Why can’t you just say what’s on your mind?” In civilization there have to be some restraints. If we followed every impulse, we’d be killing one another. - Miss Manners

Previews are not the movie. If you have some kind of negative impulse that you have to reign in because someone decides to text during the previews, then you have much deeper problems than just manners. That's just you thinking you have the right to command the planet and trying to dominate and control the world around you with no thought or care for the other beings in it. That is sociopathy. You are not the god of this universe, that is above your pay grade.

GunnyFreedom
03-16-2014, 03:29 AM
AFAIK, the (deceased) guy was texting during the previews, so usually the lights have been lowered at that point. But the actual movie had not started.

Correct, the movie had not started, only the advertisements. If I were sitting there and saw someone texting during the previews, the most I would do is have a quick passing thought of "I hope this guy doesn't do this during the movie." No annoyance, no upset or anger, it wouldn't bother me one iota. Now, say the guy keeps texting during the movie then I'm possibly (probably) going to politely ask the guy to stop that or take it outside.

I get people getting angry over texting during the movie. Myself I'm not a sociopath or a psychopath so minor annoyance is about all that would manifest. I don't get people getting angry about texting during previews AT ALL. Not even a 'minor annoyance.' They are the PREVIEWS for goodness sake! You don't pay $12 to sit down for 10 minutes to watch the previews and then leave when the movie starts, and any preview that shows up on the big screen can be accessed for free (legally!) online. Someone who is so socially maladjusted as to flip out over texting during previews shouldn't oughtta leave their own bedroom without direct psychological supervision.

LibForestPaul
03-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Who goes to movies to watch a movie? If I wanted to watch it, I would wait for blu-ray and my 60" LED.

FindLiberty
03-16-2014, 12:41 PM
As if it's a movie plot, once the lights dim all the way down, the legal purge can begin.

"For all the good it does..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onlg-nGFA-s

Mani
03-17-2014, 03:41 AM
Correct, the movie had not started, only the advertisements. If I were sitting there and saw someone texting during the previews, the most I would do is have a quick passing thought of "I hope this guy doesn't do this during the movie." No annoyance, no upset or anger, it wouldn't bother me one iota. Now, say the guy keeps texting during the movie then I'm possibly (probably) going to politely ask the guy to stop that or take it outside.

I get people getting angry over texting during the movie. Myself I'm not a sociopath or a psychopath so minor annoyance is about all that would manifest. I don't get people getting angry about texting during previews AT ALL. Not even a 'minor annoyance.' They are the PREVIEWS for goodness sake! You don't pay $12 to sit down for 10 minutes to watch the previews and then leave when the movie starts, and any preview that shows up on the big screen can be accessed for free (legally!) online. Someone who is so socially maladjusted as to flip out over texting during previews shouldn't oughtta leave their own bedroom without direct psychological supervision.

I'm all out of rep for you Gunny.

This is my feeling as well. The Previews are ONLINE the same time they are at the movie theater. WTF. And you can choose which preview version you want to see as often they make a couple of them for a movie trailer. And some of those 10 minutes of previews are ADS, like actual PEPSI/Mountain DEW or other shit ads or charity promos or other junk ads. These are commercials.

Who the hell would get pissed over texting during a PREVIEW!?!?

In fact, depending on the cinema, AFTER ALL The damn previews/ads are finished, THEN they do a little announcement for one last chance to turn off your cell phones. Some cinemas I've been to it's like 30 seconds just sitting their after all the previews are done with a sign on the screen saying, "Please turn off your phones now..." ...and nothing....just a pause for a while.....And then you see a bunch of phone lights go out across the cinema.

Or I've seen the quirky little video announcement come on again AFTER the PREVIEWS, to jokingly say turn off your phones.

So I really don't have a problem with anyone texting during a preview...especially when a lot of cinemas actually give you time AFTER the previews to turn off the phones.

And regardless if the cinema adds that 30 second video or announcement AFTER the previews or not (which I've seen at more than half the cinemas I've been to), It's the FUCKING PREVIEWS! COMMERCIALS!! WTF!? As Gunny just said.

Henry Rogue
03-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Did they let the ex-cop finish watching his movie?