PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry: Marijuana Decriminalization is a Conservative Issue

compromise
03-13-2014, 01:45 PM
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/rick-perry-marijuana-decriminalization-conservative-issue/#axzz2vsDM431A

“You don’t want to ruin a kid’s life for having a joint,” said Texas Governor Rick Perry during a Tuesday taping of “Jimmy Kimmel Live.”

The governor touted decriminalization as a way to reduce the size of government. “We’ve been able to shut down a prison in the state of Texas — that’s conservative, man!” Perry said to loud applause, the Christian Post reports.

Perry is on to something. William F. Buckley, Jr. was an early and passionate advocate of drug legalization. A majority of CPAC 2014 attendees said they supported the legalization of marijuana.

Cabal
03-13-2014, 02:00 PM
cannabis*

jkr
03-13-2014, 02:11 PM
in texA$$?

hah ahahaha

good luck with that one!

HOLLYWOOD
03-13-2014, 02:57 PM
populist politicians, go whichever way the wind blows... Rick Perry 2010:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Governor/Rick_Perry_Drugs.htm Medical marijuana OK for California, but not Texas

[On states' rights], there's a movement I disagree with, while appreciating the desire of Californians to decide for themselves--this is the issue of marijuana consumption. A few years ago Californians legalized the limited medicinal use of marijuana, but the Supreme Court struck this law down in Gonzalez v. Raich, claiming that the federal government has the power to regulate activity that would have a substantial effect on interstate commerce. Now, I am not sure the people of Texas would want to go down this road.Keeping in mind that in 2008, less than 1% of the 847,000 marijuana-related arrests were carried out by federal law enforcement, it sure seems unlikely that there could be adequate resources at the federal level to actually tell California how to live their lives. In other words, Californians may well be telling the federal government to "bring it on," we'll handle this how we want to handle it.
Source: Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry, p.164-165 (http://www.ontheissues.org/Fed_Up.htm) , Nov 15, 2010

mad cow
03-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Maybe the DEA was that third Federal agency he wanted to shut down.

Legend1104
03-13-2014, 10:47 PM

That is why we will win. When they realize they can't beat our ideas, the politician in them will make them join us to save themselves. We will win each issue little by little just like we first lost them IATA first.

muh_roads
03-13-2014, 11:02 PM
http://media0.giphy.com/media/rl0FOxdz7CcxO/giphy.gif

Somebody needs to make a new one with weed symbols flashing instead.

Keith and stuff
03-13-2014, 11:38 PM

Thanks for sharing! +Rep

Brett85
03-14-2014, 10:00 AM

He still didn't say here that he supports legalizing marijuana, even for medical reasons. He just said that he supports decriminalization, which means that the penalty for marijuana use or selling marijuana would go from prison time to a fine or something like that.

muh_roads
03-14-2014, 10:42 AM
He still didn't say here that he supports legalizing marijuana, even for medical reasons. He just said that he supports decriminalization, which means that the penalty for marijuana use or selling marijuana would go from prison time to a fine or something like that.

Anything that minimizes the welfare queen's ability to bust down peoples doors and bring violence to peoples homes where none previously existed is a good thing. Saying weed is bad is like saying god made a mistake. It was designed to grow abundantly for a reason.

Spikender
03-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Slick Perry biting off the marijuana train.

Oh well, I'll take his words but not the man. The more voices calling for less penalties for marijuana the better. Baby steps on a nationwide level, baby.

dillo
03-15-2014, 01:27 AM
Apparently jumping on the bandwagon is a Rick Perry thing. I thought Perry had Big Pharma ties though, this seems counter intuitive to that.

unknown
03-15-2014, 06:11 AM
I thought it was a Libertarian issue?

Spikender
03-15-2014, 06:14 AM
My biggest problem with talking about marijuana decriminalization and all that jazz is what that means for people jailed over it...

Will they be released? Or will they continue to rot in jail when it finally happens?