PDA

View Full Version : Why I Hire Illegal immigrants

aGameOfThrones
03-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Who is employing them all?

Well, a guy I've known for years is one. He owns an east-coast landscaping and plant business with around 100 employees, at least half of whom are undocumented Mexican immigrants.

About a dozen years ago, one of his biggest competitors started using undocumented Mexican laborers. At the time, the landscaper’s firm suffered high turnover and low productivity, and finding employees to do the actual landscaping -- his company's bread and butter -- was difficult.

“We’ve never had anyone come in here looking for work,” he told me, on condition that I withhold his name. He found many of the Americans he has hired over the years to be unreliable and unwilling to work hard. Sometimes they quit; other times he has fired them.

Gradually, he started hiring Mexican laborers. All of them were able to provide Social Security numbers, though he understood they were bogus. “We have to have paperwork on these guys,” he said. “We just don’t have to have it be legitimate.”

The Mexican laborers live together in a poor neighborhood in a small city, drive to work together and take as many hours as the boss offers – seven days a week when possible. He pays them the same wages he pays Americans -- one top earner makes $25 per hour, well above the median U.S. wage. Because they're undocumented and most don't have their families with them, the men don't make much of a dent in the U.S. consumer economy. Instead, they send their savings home to their families in Mexico.

There are, of course, complications. The landscaper said he has paid thousands of dollars to coyotes and illegal services to secure passage back to the U.S. for workers who returned to Mexico to visit family. If his employees are stopped at the U.S. border and don't make it back to work, which is happening more frequently, he isn't charged. “I lost a key man," he said, "a skilled stone mason who couldn’t get back in the country.” If his employees do make it back to work, he said, they inevitably reimburse him for the coyote fees.

As the business grew, the landscaper's Mexican workforce also became his recruiting service. “The Mexicans are self-policing,” he said. “If a guy is not working hard, they get rid of him. I don’t even have to say anything. The only people I have to fire are Americans.”

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-03-12/why-i-hire-undocumented-workers?cmpid=yhoo

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Aaaaaand...BULLSHIT.

More Americans are too lazy to work, Mexicans work harder for less, drivel. At one time it may have seemed like this. In the last ten years some of the shoddiest work I have seen in dry walling and construction have been by Mexican workers. The company that builds houses for my ole lady's is in the process of firing a dry wall crew because it was substandard, cost a sale and had to be fixed. The homeowners association is in the process of putting out bids because the landscape company's Mexican crew rode the mowers against the edge of the structures causing damage.

Edit: And don't get me wrong. I know some outstanding Mexican workers. I also know some outstanding American workers.

Edit 2: Oh, and the Mexican crew shit in a five gallon bucket and left it onsite when the prospective buyers were taking a walk through.

Origanalist
03-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Americano's are lazy and soft. If the Latino's weren't here their lawns would never get mowed and their toilets would never get cleaned.

oyarde
03-13-2014, 11:09 AM
I mow my own grass and clean my toilet . People should try it , LOL.Frees up money for beer and ammo .

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 11:11 AM
I mow my own grass and clean my toilet . People should try it , LOL.Frees up money for beer and ammo .

Not only that but I mow others grass and clean others toilets on occasion. Extra beer and ammo!

Origanalist
03-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Not only that but I mow others grass and clean others toilets on occasion. Extra beer and ammo!

I hear mowing other peoples lawns can be quite dangerous to your health these days.

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 11:19 AM
I hear mowing other peoples lawns can be quite dangerous to your health these days.

I don't do it for charity. Unless asked. ;)

Cutlerzzz
03-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Let the market decide who people want to hire.

Origanalist
03-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Let the market decide who people want to hire.

And give the rest welfare.

Philhelm
03-13-2014, 11:34 AM

Wives should be used to mow grass and clean toilets. Frees up time to drink beer and shoot guns.

oyarde
03-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Wives should be used to mow grass and clean toilets. Frees up time to drink beer and shoot guns.
I have been explaining this to her.LOL

specsaregood
03-13-2014, 11:40 AM

I do my own yardwork; but this year I hired some guys I found on craigslist to deal with the leaves --they have to be at the curb at a certain date and we have a LOT of trees -- and I just didn't have time. Anyways I found some guys on craigslist advertising specifically that they didn't have any illegal immigrants and all employees were native born American citizens. It was clearly part of their marketing, the price was comparable. I decided to reward their ballsy marketing. It turned out to be a company run and staffed by a family of pineys. They did a good job for the same price as all the illegal hiring companies. I'm considering hiring them to do the yardwork this summer so I can spend the time with the kid instead.

oyarde
03-13-2014, 11:43 AM
I do my own yardwork; but this year I hired some guys I found on craigslist to deal with the leaves --they have to be at the curb at a certain date and we have a LOT of trees -- and I just didn't have time. Anyways I found some guys on craigslist advertising specifically that they didn't have any illegal immigrants and all employees were native born American citizens. It was clearly part of their marketing, the price was comparable. I decided to reward their ballsy marketing. It turned out to be a company run and staffed by a family of pineys. They did a good job for the same price as all the illegal hiring companies. I'm considering hiring them to do the yardwork this summer so I can spend the time with the kid instead.
The Pineys are probably hard workers .

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 11:44 AM

I'm sorry. I don't believe you. Media tells me that this is not possible.

Feeding the Abscess
03-13-2014, 12:04 PM

The people who hire others to clean their toilets and lawns value their time too highly to do those things.

John F Kennedy III
03-13-2014, 03:06 PM

Who needs a wife when you have Melisandre?

03-13-2014, 03:44 PM
It's anecdotal but my personal experience has been the exact same as the person in the article. The illegal Mexicans and Guatemalans I've come across work hard 12 hours a day 7 days a week, never complain and never cause any problems. They take care of their own, the ones who don't work hard just go back. Oh and yeah they do need to be instructed in US toilet habits. We found the new ones throwing TP in the trash can, apparently in Mexico that's how they do it, the sewers cant handle TP.

I think they all should be given green cards if they want to work but no social services unless they become citizens.

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 04:06 PM
The people who hire others to clean their toilets and lawns value their time too highly to do those things.

Or are simply unable to do it themselves.

VIDEODROME
03-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Maybe Americans are crazy enough to think they can actually have a life instead squandering on 12 hour days.

Also, many immigrants are probably doing this for more than just themselves. That is a big motivator for them to keep doing this to send money back to families.

I would like more details about why exactly this job is to horrible for Americans as well.

DamianTV
03-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Maybe Americans are crazy enough to think they can actually have a life instead squandering on 12 hour days.

Also, many immigrants are probably doing this for more than just themselves. That is a big motivator for them to keep doing this to send money back to families.

I would like more details about why exactly this job is to horrible for Americans as well.

Perhaps the owner came here illegally?

mad cow
03-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Also anecdotal:
When I retired,all 6 of my crew were born in Mexico or Central America.They had all been with me for 2 to 12 years and they were all legal,2 of them became US citizens while working for me.The penalties if they were not were severe so I would run their I-9's every year and copy them to hand to the armed,jack-booted thugs from the USCG who would board me without invitation,cause or warrant whenever the whim struck them.

We worked 16~18 hours a day,7 days a week,often for 2 to three weeks at a time at a very hard,dangerous job often in cold,wet,uncomfortable conditions with none of us guaranteed one penny when we left the dock,in fact you could return owing money for a trip,it has happened to me many more times than once.

They each made over $50,000 up to $90,000 a year for my last 5 years,sometimes less,sometimes a lot less,in previous years.Fishing's like that.

Most younger Americans don't want to work that hard,for any amount of money.

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 04:48 PM

I'm sure there would be plenty of Americans willing to work for the wages payed if when they cashed the check it magically transformed into 3x living expenses.

Suzanimal
03-13-2014, 04:52 PM

:o I cut the grass and clean the toilets.

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 04:58 PM
:o I cut the grass and clean the toilets.

Sigh. Music to my ears. If only I were younger, or you older, and we both were single. :p

oyarde
03-13-2014, 10:58 PM

Time , pfft :) , I drink beer and listen to blues while cleaning the toilet , while mowing I inspect my grounds , fruit and nut bearing trees , squirrel population ( emergency rations ) , converse with my songbirds ( they are very good listeners and understand my general disdain for the world in its current condition , no commie goldfinches or chickadees plot to steal from me :) ) I cannot pay someone for that , only I can do it correctly :) , I learned this from my Father as he did from my Grandfather . Time is overated or underated , as most do not know how to take time .When you are working , time is taking you . I know how to take time , I do not consider cleaning bathrooms or Landscaping work . Work is when you are slaving away for some asshole who , on the best day of said life , could not do what you do on your worst . I have done much work and fucked off a bit too .I am very good at both , LOL

2young2vote
03-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Also anecdotal:
When I retired,all 6 of my crew were born in Mexico or Central America.They had all been with me for 2 to 12 years and they were all legal,2 of them became US citizens while working for me.The penalties if they were not were severe so I would run their I-9's every year and copy them to hand to the armed,jack-booted thugs from the USCG who would board me without invitation,cause or warrant whenever the whim struck them.

We worked 16~18 hours a day,7 days a week,often for 2 to three weeks at a time at a very hard,dangerous job often in cold,wet,uncomfortable conditions with none of us guaranteed one penny when we left the dock,in fact you could return owing money for a trip,it has happened to me many more times than once.

They each made over $50,000 up to $90,000 a year for my last 5 years,sometimes less,sometimes a lot less,in previous years.Fishing's like that.

Most younger Americans don't want to work that hard,for any amount of money.

The bold is what this is actually about. Many young Americans don't know how to, or don't want to, work physical jobs. I can tell you that out of all of my friends, I am the only one who can do hard physical work all day. That could be because I grew up in a pretty white collar city, but I think it has more to do with this current generations negative mentality towards physical work. American companies are hiring foreign workers FOR A REASON, and that reason is a mix of reliability, money, and work ethic - things that many Americans people do not meet the criteria for if my personal experiences are an example.

Its interesting, because American businesses are quick and efficient, but that doesn't mean the workers are. It is common in other countries for services to take WEEKS, ones that we would expect to be done in a few days here in the USA. I think the business mentality is what pushes for speed here in America, the problem is we have a worker base that is very typical in the world of workers. So you have this demand for good, reliable labor, and a lack in supply. What does that cause? A shortage, one that must be filled. It isn't all about pay in this situation, sometimes its just about getting the job done and that requires a reliable labor force.

fr33
03-14-2014, 12:41 AM
I can identify with this article and it's getting worse with each new generation of Americans. I see it happening. The trend for "citizens" has been to shun physical labor. They teach it in the schools: you MUST get a college education, or else be a failure. I employ a few people and a college education means nothing to me.

There are almost no young people that show an interest in this line of work and the decent older workers are hard to be found. It takes a lot of hiring, firing, and quitting.

Minimum wages, unions, and the "education" system has ruined this country. I have no problem with folks that choose to hire migrants. My experiences have been that it's easier to identify with the "illegals" more often than the white trash that they compete with.

Does your kid aspire to change tires, dig ditches, or pick crops for even 1/4 of his adult life? I'll accept that maybe even you do, but does your kid?

Carson
03-15-2014, 08:33 PM
The Unnamed coward in the original post article is hiring illegal aliens because he is lazy and a lowlife like the government officials that aid and abet his operation.

The hard working Americans hire legal workers.

I've heard the criminals in business can shave around 20% off of their quotes because of cost savings like taxes, health care, and other social services that are passed on to honest people.

They are doing a disservice to their country and their neighbors. We've all seen this country slip into being a third world status. Having to compete with the criminals in business is forcing honest people in to criminal activity to compete.

Imagine that. The government hammering us down to where they have something on all of us to keep us in line.

Next they will be wanting another trade agreement to subsidize the looting of our resources to export them out of the country to their even cheaper labor.

Origanalist
03-15-2014, 10:02 PM
I can identify with this article and it's getting worse with each new generation of Americans. I see it happening. The trend for "citizens" has been to shun physical labor. They teach it in the schools: you MUST get a college education, or else be a failure. I employ a few people and a college education means nothing to me.

There are almost no young people that show an interest in this line of work and the decent older workers are hard to be found. It takes a lot of hiring, firing, and quitting.

Minimum wages, unions, and the "education" system has ruined this country. I have no problem with folks that choose to hire migrants. My experiences have been that it's easier to identify with the "illegals" more often than the white trash that they compete with.

Does your kid aspire to change tires, dig ditches, or pick crops for even 1/4 of his adult life? I'll accept that maybe even you do, but does your kid?

EBT cards are hip. Physical labor, not so much.

VIDEODROME
03-15-2014, 10:42 PM

Imagine someone in their mid-twenties was happily working for you right now doing labor for whatever you pay. They could be a first generation American working legally and everything changing tires or picking crops or even cleaning toilets.

What do many such people want for the future? A better life for their kids, if they can't do better for themselves as well. They might even bust their ass hard for you everyday, because damnit their kids will go to college.

I think you're up against a difficult part of human nature as well as politics.