PDA

View Full Version : College cancels diversity ‘happy hour’ after learning coordinators intended to exclude whites

aGameOfThrones
03-13-2014, 09:44 AM
South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) is located in Olympia, Washington. Amongst the many offices the college provides is the Diversity & Equity Center (DEC), which is described as place, “meant to be a safe, hate-free space for ALL students. It is a place where we can connect with our own communities while learning from other communities. It is a place dedicated to respectful learning, community building, and the appreciation of diversity.” So it’s with that in mind that many are wondering why a planned DEC “happy hour” focusingon diversity would seek to exclude white people, as KING 5 News reports.

Included in the email was a sentence that is especially gaining a lot of attention. It read, “If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community and yourselves, please feel free to do just that.”

After anger was expressed over this obviously exclusionary “diversity” event, the DEC canceled plans for it and apologized. That being said, while the DEC’s program coordinator, Karama Blackhorn, said she would have worded the email differently, she did tell KING, “That space is not for white people. That space is for people of color.” Ms. Blackhorn also told the station, "When trying to explicitly talk about race it can be a really difficult conversation for a lot of people. And, especially when trying to openly invite folks to build a space of solidarity.”

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/college-cancels-diversity-%E2%80%98happy-hour%E2%80%99-after-learning-event-coordinators-intended-to-exclude-white-people-203519152.html

White is also a color.

Spikender
03-13-2014, 10:21 AM
A coworker actually showed me this earlier, and I'll just kind of repeat what I said to him...

The woman in charge of their Diversity division is just a spoiled butch chick who knows not the first thing about racism or discussing race. She is a self-hating white person who probably was surrounded by white people most of her life and is simply too scared to bring up the boogeyman called race around anyone not of her color.

Truth is, I've talked to people of different races about racism and the differences between races all the time and it's fine. The only people who get riled up about it are self-hating whites and race pimps like Al Sharpton.

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 10:38 AM
A coworker actually showed me this earlier, and I'll just kind of repeat what I said to him...

The woman in charge of their Diversity division is just a spoiled butch chick who knows not the first thing about racism or discussing race. She is a self-hating white person who probably was surrounded by white people most of her life and is simply too scared to bring up the boogeyman called race around anyone not of her color.

Truth is, I've talked to people of different races about racism and the differences between races all the time and it's fine. The only people who get riled up about it are self-hating whites and race pimps like Al Sharpton.

She sounds bossy to me.

PaulConventionWV
03-13-2014, 10:41 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/college-cancels-diversity-%E2%80%98happy-hour%E2%80%99-after-learning-event-coordinators-intended-to-exclude-white-people-203519152.html

White is also a color.

Such a bizarre phrase, "people of color." It's as if white people lack something that the others have.

We're going right back to "coloreds only" and "whites only" signs, except this time, the intent is the exact opposite.

PaulConventionWV
03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
She sounds bossy to me.

Reported.

ctiger2
03-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Collectivists

Cabal
03-13-2014, 11:10 AM
I'm beginning to notice a trend here with these sorts of 'discrimination warriors'.

acptulsa
03-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Included in the email was a sentence that is especially gaining a lot of attention. It read, “If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community and yourselves, please feel free to do just that.”

After anger was expressed over this obviously exclusionary “diversity” event, the DEC canceled plans for it and apologized. That being said, while the DEC’s program coordinator, Karama Blackhorn, said she would have worded the email differently, she did tell KING, “That space is not for white people. That space is for people of color.” Ms. Blackhorn also told the station, "When trying to explicitly talk about race it can be a really difficult conversation for a lot of people. And, especially when trying to openly invite folks to build a space of solidarity.”

I thought it was determined a long time ago that 'separate but equal' was no cure for the evils of racism.

And did she really think canceling the event was a better thing than desegregating it?

Philhelm
03-13-2014, 11:37 AM
White is also a color.

Technically, white is the presence of all colors.

Origanalist
03-13-2014, 11:39 AM

We are the ultimate in inclusiveness.

Ender
03-13-2014, 11:44 AM

In the light spectrum, yes; in earthly pigmentation, white is the absence of all color.

angelatc
03-13-2014, 11:52 AM
“When trying to explicitly talk about race it can be a really difficult conversation for a lot of people,” Blackhorn told the NBC affiliate, “especially when trying to openly invite folks to build a space of solidarity.”

Yeah, conversations where everybody agrees with you is great for the ego, but not so much for anything else.

I seriously was shocked when I saw her picture though. It's posted at The Daily Caller, and Spikender pretty much described her properly. (I almost said nailed it, but nobody wants that.)

Someone in the comments there posted her phone # and email address too. Heh! http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/12/taxpayer-funded-community-college-bans-white-people-from-staff-happy-hour/

jkr
03-13-2014, 12:15 PM
raci$t

PaulConventionWV
03-13-2014, 02:53 PM

And yet, like black, white people aren't literally white at all.

Spikender
03-13-2014, 03:49 PM
The truth is that, while there are some blacks and people of other races that fight against racism, some of it legitimate, most of the cries of racism and most of the political correctness we deal with today are in fact from spoiled white kids who think they have to atone for the sins of people they didn't know and didn't grow up around. Of course, I use the term spoiled white kid to describe much more than what one thinks of as a "kid". Because there are plenty of self-hating adult whites too, but lord knows they grew up in places where they had little to know interaction with blacks or anyone who wasn't also a white person.

Sad part is, as long as they have a Democrat behind their name or call themselves progressives or liberals, they are taken seriously by people, and that saddens me deeply. It's how you end up with people like Joe Biden commenting on the state of race today, or saying how Obama is an articulate black man.

tod evans
03-13-2014, 04:08 PM
“If you want to create space for white black folks to meet and work on racism, white black supremacy, and white black privilege to better our campus community and yourselves, please feel free to do just that.”

There!

Now it's politically correct......:rolleyes:

RandallFan
03-13-2014, 06:12 PM
It made me think of Rand Paul talking about outreach and his black outreach. Voters with piercings and tattoos.

JK/SEA
03-13-2014, 06:45 PM
fuckin' crackers...

no cheeseburger for you..

seyferjm
03-13-2014, 06:46 PM
"...she graduated from The Evergreen State College in 2010 with a major in "women, gender and sexuality studies.”

Lolololol, wow.

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 06:48 PM
"...she graduated from The Evergreen State College in 2010 with a major in "women, gender and sexuality studies.”

Lolololol, wow.

I've heard people go into psychology because they have issues to work out with themselves. So, I could see this...........

fisharmor
03-13-2014, 07:10 PM

Once at work a couple of the black guys explained to me why so many black guys go for white women.
Apparently they know that a white chick who would sleep with a black guy is already a freak.

This other time I got pretty plowed at a users' conference and announced too loudly in front of customers I was leaving to go downtown with all the black guys. (It was literally all of them.)
I didn't get in trouble for that.

Later that same night I pointed out that you could see Venus even downtown because it was it was at its brightest, and then I said something about how the ancients named the brightest star after the goddess of love.
Then one of the guys says "You know, I don't want to sound racist, but white people just know shit that black people don't. I mean, if I knew that I'd be throwin' that shit at chicks all the time, 'Yeah baby, the brightest star is named for love'".
I replied that white people might learn this stuff, but they don't ever apply it that way.

Spikender
03-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Once at work a couple of the black guys explained to me why so many black guys go for white women.
Apparently they know that a white chick who would sleep with a black guy is already a freak.

This other time I got pretty plowed at a users' conference and announced too loudly in front of customers I was leaving to go downtown with all the black guys. (It was literally all of them.)

Later that same night I pointed out that you could see Venus even downtown because it was it was at its brightest, and then I said something about how the ancients named the brightest star after the goddess of love.
Then one of the guys says "You know, I don't want to sound racist, but white people just know shit that black people don't. I mean, if I knew that I'd be throwin' that shit at chicks all the time, 'Yeah baby, the brightest star is named for love'".
I replied that white people might learn this stuff, but they don't ever apply it that way.

See, that's what I'm talking about. That sounds exactly like how I am when it comes to the topic of race, and how most people that I choose to associate with are about race as well. It's just another minor difference. Sure, different races do have different ways of operating, because that's how we're raised. Getting along isn't so hard if you just talk about the differences honestly instead of stoking animosity between races by separating them, like this chick was trying to do.

I just feel like these people live in a different world. If she was serious about addressing racism in this country, she needs to start at institutionalized racism, like our justice system or law enforcement. There are also issues with black culture that I could talk about, but I don't feel that I should. I have discussed those issues with a lot of my friends before and gotten their perspectives on it. Lots of black people want to change the culture that has grown up around them that obsesses over money and crime, but they're just not given the opportunity to for various economic and social reasons.

Really, I could have an entirely different discussion just about that, but I don't want to derail the topic.

And I wanted to +rep you, but apparently I've gotta wait...

Silly rep system! Always standing in my way from spamming people rep.

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 07:28 PM
See, that's what I'm talking about. That sounds exactly like how I am when it comes to the topic of race, and how most people that I choose to associate with are about race as well. It's just another minor difference. Sure, different races do have different ways of operating, because that's how we're raised. Getting along isn't so hard if you just talk about the differences honestly instead of stoking animosity between races by separating them, like this chick was trying to do.

I just feel like these people live in a different world. If she was serious about addressing racism in this country, she needs to start at institutionalized racism, like our justice system or law enforcement. There are also issues with black culture that I could talk about, but I don't feel that I should. I have discussed those issues with a lot of my friends before and gotten their perspectives on it. Lots of black people want to change the culture that has grown up around them that obsesses over money and crime, but they're just not given the opportunity to for various economic and social reasons.

Really, I could have an entirely different discussion just about that, but I don't want to derail the topic.

And I wanted to +rep you, but apparently I've gotta wait...

Silly rep system! Always standing in my way from spamming people rep.

Covered. ;)

mad cow
03-13-2014, 07:34 PM
I mean, if I knew that I'd be throwin' that shit at chicks all the time, 'Yeah baby, the brightest star is named for love'".

You could also mention to the chick at the bar that Venus rhymes with Penis in order to steer the conversation in a more romantic direction.

Actually,this has never worked at all well for me but I thought I would throw it out there in case one of y'all might have better luck with it.

James Madison
03-15-2014, 07:02 PM

Thing is, most white guys are effeminate beta-males these days.

jkr
03-15-2014, 07:43 PM
ahhhh
graduates (from Evergreen State with a major in "women, gender and sexuality studies.”)
huh!
g00d gawd yawll
whut r thy g00d 4
absolutly
BULL$HIT

SAY IT AGAIN

aAAHHHHHHH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWmlRNfLck

tod evans
03-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Thing is, most white guys are effeminate beta-males these days.

There are plenty of effeminate boomers too....:mad:

James Madison
03-15-2014, 07:52 PM
There are plenty of effeminate boomers too....:mad:

Yeah, but they aren't afraid of women.

DamianTV
03-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Where I live, I certainly feel like the excluded minority because I only speak English. In California, Whites ARE already the statistical minority.

juleswin
03-15-2014, 08:04 PM
She should just let go off this white guilt shit. It will kill whatever is left of your career

Paulbot99
03-15-2014, 08:25 PM
“If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community and yourselves, please feel free to do just that.”

Did she just recommend they form a KKK chapter? ;)