PDA

View Full Version : Grieving Cal. mom takes down cross on road after group’s protest, more appear

Origanalist
03-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Published March 07, 2014FoxNews.com

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/U.S./cross4.jpg

A grieving California mom who, under pressure from an atheist group, went to the site where her son was killed to remove a memorial cross was met at the scene by a throng of supporters who planted crosses of their own.

"They said they have to take that one down," Doug Johnson, a Riverside resident who traveled to the site with his daughter and six home-made crosses, told The Riverside Press-Enterprise. "But they didn't say anything about putting another one up."

AnnMarie Devaney agreed to remove a 5-foot cross she put up on the side of a road in Lake Elsinore to honor her 19-year-old son Anthony, who was struck by a car and killed two years ago, the paper reported. The American Humanist Association in Washington, D.C., caught wind of the cross and sent her a demand letter dated March 4 calling for her to remove it. The association said that its placement on city property violates the constitutional separation of church and state.

continued....http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/07/grieving-california-mom-takes-down-cross-on-road-after-groups-protest-more/?intcmp=obinsite

kcchiefs6465
03-12-2014, 08:36 PM
The stupidity knows no bounds.

Paulbot99
03-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Freedom from Being Offended. :rolleyes:

2young2vote
03-12-2014, 09:05 PM
The constitution does not require separation of Church and State on the local level. Heck, it doesn't even require it on the federal level. Do these people get a high every time they see a cross?

Ender
03-12-2014, 09:21 PM
The constitution does not require separation of Church and State on the local level. Heck, it doesn't even require it on the federal level. Do these people get a high every time they see a cross?

Correct.

There is absolutely NO reference to separation of Church and State in the Constitution.

It says that "Congress shall make NO LAW" concerning religion and the free exercise thereof.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievance

Technically, the American Humanist Association has broken constitutional law by not allowing the free exercise of this woman's religious beliefs.

Paulbot99
03-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Correct.

There is absolutely NO reference to separation of Church and State in the Constitution.

It says that "Congress shall make NO LAW" concerning religion and the free exercise thereof.

Technically, the American Humanist Association has broken constitutional law by not allowing the free exercise of this woman's religious beliefs.

But... But... A letter Thomas Jefferson once wrote!

2young2vote
03-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Correct.

I don't think they broke any law. They are an organization and not a government body. They can ask whoever they want to do whatever they want. I'm surprised she didn't refuse. I've looked on this Humanist website and these people are a bunch of wackos. It is their mission to eliminate religion from society. Their slogan is literally "Good without a god."

Paulbot99
03-12-2014, 09:44 PM
I just get the feeling that they would not be afraid to use the law to suppress religion by force. Maybe they'd advocate atheism taught to children in school.

fr33
03-12-2014, 10:25 PM
If the road was privately owned it would probably be bad business to have virtual headstones strewn about. Just sayin... If I die in a car wreck, I want my family to put up a strobe light with sound effects.

Am I wrong to think that this "put a memorial up at a crash site for several years" is a relatively new thing? I really started to notice it about 10 years ago. Before that, not so much.

Feeding the Abscess
03-12-2014, 10:57 PM
I live in Lake Elsinore. Guess I should have essentially camped out by the site to get interviewed by every news outlet possible.

But really, I commented about how this would be a non-issue if the roads were privatized; that the road owner would then decide if memorial displays could be placed on road sides, and which icons would be acceptable if vigils were allowed. I also said something about the atheist group merely trading a religious figure for the state.

It got one like. Banal Jesus freak and statheist comments got dozens.

Origanalist
03-12-2014, 11:07 PM
If the road was privately owned it would probably be bad business to have virtual headstones strewn about. Just sayin... If I die in a car wreck, I want my family to put up a strobe light with sound effects.

Am I wrong to think that this "put a memorial up at a crash site for several years" is a relatively new thing? I really started to notice it about 10 years ago. Before that, not so much.

It's nothing new, at least around here. But it has become a little more common.

Origanalist
03-12-2014, 11:07 PM
I live in Lake Elsinore. Guess I should have essentially camped out by the site to get interviewed by every news outlet possible.

But really, I commented about how this would be a non-issue if the roads were privatized; that the road owner would then decide if memorial displays could be placed on road sides, and which icons would be acceptable if vigils were allowed. I also said something about the atheist group merely trading a religious figure for the state.

You're either with us or the terrorists.

VIDEODROME
03-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Maybe vampires drive around that corner and complained

donnay
03-12-2014, 11:14 PM
AnnMarie Devaney agreed to remove a 5-foot cross she put up on the side of a road in Lake Elsinore to honor her 19-year-old son Anthony, who was struck by a car and killed two years ago, the paper reported. The American Humanist Association in Washington, D.C., caught wind of the cross and sent her a demand letter dated March 4 calling for her to remove it. The association said that its placement on city property violates the constitutional separation of church and state.

There is no constitutional separation of church and state. They must have been talking to Sheila Jackson Lee.

Cissy
03-12-2014, 11:42 PM
It's a shame folks like that choose to focus on what offends them than on what is symbolized---a fellow citizen died in a tragic accident.

Natural Citizen
03-12-2014, 11:45 PM

Privatized roads is tyranny waiting to happen. Not a good idea in my opinion. Especially given the Technological and Information Age we live in. Cripes, I think we already have some foreign interests who own some of our roads or tollways.

fr33
03-12-2014, 11:53 PM
Privatized roads is tyranny waiting to happen. Not a good idea in my opinion. Especially given the Technological and Information Age we live in. Cripes, I think we already have some foreign interests who own some of our roads or tollways.

The majority of private tollways were built using tax dollars then sold to private corporations. They are also subject to public traffic laws. Private roads aren't tyrannical. The shared monopoly that some private roads have with the government are. Are you more likely to be tyrannized when you enter a public road/parking lot or a private one?

Philhelm
03-13-2014, 05:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R21uFSWV6Qc

chudrockz
03-13-2014, 05:09 AM
Freedom from Being Offended. :rolleyes:

Yep. As an atheist, what this group did to a grieving mother is absolutely disgusting.

Voluntarist
03-13-2014, 05:55 AM
xxxxx

Voluntarist
03-13-2014, 06:33 AM
xxxxx

Danke
03-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Looks like that group has their work cut out for them:

http://fiscalofficer.cuyahogacounty.us/img_fiscalofficer/en-us/VetCemeteries.jpg

oyarde
03-13-2014, 10:29 AM

I am getting my toll booth ready :) For fun , I intend to buy the roads around my Leadman that works for me @ works house and charge him to enter and leave , LOL

Philhelm
03-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Looks like that group has their work cut out for them:

http://fiscalofficer.cuyahogacounty.us/img_fiscalofficer/en-us/VetCemeteries.jpg

Especially since the government creates more crosses than every Christian church combined.

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 11:32 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQrllFUyB02wsOyNNWvfwtINGEcCE_i-G7ZxSj93tTeFmTjxiRwg

Ender
03-13-2014, 11:46 AM
But... But... A letter Thomas Jefferson once wrote!

Funny how a personal POV is now dictated as constitutional. ;)

Pericles
03-13-2014, 12:19 PM
It's a shame folks like that choose to focus on what offends them than on what is symbolized---a fellow citizen died in a tragic accident.

They are just happy that his carbon footprint was reduced.