PDA

View Full Version : Study Blows Labor Shortage Claim Out Of The Water

Origanalist
03-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Large numbers of Americans, especially those with less education, continue to have difficulty finding work, undermining arguments that there is a “labor shortage” and need for increased immigration, a new study from the Center for Immigration Studies finds.
The report, provided exclusively to Breitbart News, shows that the employment situation of American workers has gradually declined over the past 14 years since 2000.

The number of working age adults who are not working has risen relatively quickly in the last 15 years. In 2000, 35.8 million native-born Americans between 18 and 65 years weren't working. In 2006, the number was 40.5 million. In part because of the recession, the number spiked, and it 2013, stood at 50.5 million people.

The percentage of American adults who are not working has also gradually increased, from 24.1 percent in 2000 to 25.7 percent in 2006 before spiking upward 30.8 percent in 2013.

The study found the decline in employment cut across all racial, educational, and demographic groups. While native-born African Americans and Hispanics are the hardest hit races and decreased education seems to exacerbate the problem, all Americans have seen a downward slope in employment attainment success since 2000.

“Congress is currently considering immigration reform packages that include work permits for those in the country illegally, as well as substantial increases in future legal immigration,” CIS’s Steven Camarota and Karen Ziegler wrote in the report. “Yet the latest employment data continue to show an enormous number of working-age Americans not working, particularly those with modest levels of education.”

continued...http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/12/Study-Blows-Labor-Shortage-Claim-Out-Of-The-Water

DamianTV
03-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Wow. Their solution to unemployment is to increase competition for existing jobs by increasing the number of people that are seeking a job. Lets "Spend" our way out of Debt!

Origanalist
03-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Wow. Their solution to unemployment is to increase competition for existing jobs by increasing the number of people that are seeking a job. Lets "Spend" our way out of Debt!

"Let the free market work" (with welfare )

FindLiberty
03-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Please don't break my windows.

Zippyjuan
03-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Large numbers of Americans, especially those with less education, continue to have difficulty finding work, undermining arguments that there is a “labor shortage” and need for increased immigration, a new study from the Center for Immigration Studies finds.

As far as I have heard, the claimed labor shortage is not at the lower end of the "skill scale" but in skilled labor.

“Congress is currently considering immigration reform packages that include work permits for those in the country illegally, as well as substantial increases in future legal immigration,” CIS’s Steven Camarota and Karen Ziegler wrote in the report. “Yet the latest employment data continue to show an enormous number of working-age Americans not working, particularly those with modest levels of education.”

The work permits are generally for skilled workers.

Ronin Truth
03-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Isn't there always a severe shortage of experienced college grads under 40 who will work very hard and very cheap?

jkr
03-13-2014, 12:26 PM
americans
under
siege

economic warfare

MarkoH
03-13-2014, 01:28 PM
There isn’t any kind of worker shortage, skilled or otherwise. If an employer will pay enough eventually the workers will come.

Some employers would rather destroy the country by immigration than raise wages.

Immigration is causing a massive transfer of wealth from labor to capital, that is, from those who work for a living to those who live off their investments.

There’s nothing wrong with people living off their investments, just so they don’t try to live better by ruining the country for those who live by working.

Here’s a webpage that shows how immigration is affecting politics for the worse:
Cultural Marxists On Parade (http://ariwatch.com/CulturalMarxistsOnParade.htm)

Danke
03-13-2014, 01:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

Mini-Me
03-13-2014, 03:57 PM
The "skilled labor shortage" claims are based on out-of-touch management demanding excessive credentials and experience for jobs that don't really need them. For instance, if your posting for an entry-level engineering job making $50k/year requires a Master's degree and 10 years of experience (5 years with such very particular technologies that you have to have already done the exact same job before), then yeah, there's a shortage of "qualified" applicants. What's happening is that human resources departments were downsized during the "Great Recession," and the first people to go were the ones who were smart and sane enough to push back against silly "pie in the sky" requirements and wish lists coming from managers. (Management prefers yes-men and yes-women.) As a result, companies post buzzword-laden job openings where they want senior-level professionals who require essentially no on-the-job training, who not only have industry experience but have probably already worked the same job before, and who are willing to work entry-level jobs for entry-level salaries...and people wonder why new college graduates have trouble finding jobs they're "qualified" for.

kahless
03-13-2014, 04:54 PM
The "skilled labor shortage" claims are based on out-of-touch management demanding excessive credentials and experience for jobs that don't really need them. For instance, if your posting for an entry-level engineering job making $50k/year requires a Master's degree and 10 years of experience (5 years with such very particular technologies that you have to have already done the exact same job before), then yeah, there's a shortage of "qualified" applicants. What's happening is that human resources departments were downsized during the "Great Recession," and the first people to go were the ones who were smart and sane enough to push back against silly "pie in the sky" requirements and wish lists coming from managers. (Management prefers yes-men and yes-women.) As a result, companies post buzzword-laden job openings where they want senior-level professionals who require essentially no on-the-job training, who not only have industry experience but have probably already worked the same job before, and who are willing to work entry-level jobs for entry-level salaries...and people wonder why new college graduates have trouble finding jobs they're "qualified" for.

I had a few laughs reading Dice and Monster for the NYC metro area seeing a couple of low to mid level IT type jobs posted for a low 50K/year requiring an MBA from a top tier school. I am guessing whoever posted the ridiculous requirements is just following their HR rule of posting to the outside but really have someone already in mind. When no one applies they can say we tried to recruit but since we cannot find anyone we can hire X internally or pay an H1b sponsorship they had in mind.

The market can be very deceiving to those not looking very closely at the jobs postings. Dice for example shows about 10k total jobs in the NYC metro area. Yet if you look closely 90% of the jobs posted on these sites are all recruiting agencies. If you look at the identical job descriptions you find the same position posted multiple times by different recruiting firms. It gives the appearance that there are more jobs then there actually is.

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 05:02 PM

http://media0.giphy.com/media/gRxjhVNfFgqI0/giphy.gif

tod evans
03-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Kill welfare, instant workers..........

DamianTV
03-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Kill welfare, instant workers..........

Force retirement age to 29 years old. Yes, twenty nine. Logans Run. Instant job openings.

SMH

Ronin Truth
03-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Kill welfare, instant workers..........Or maybe a major increase in incidents of armed robbery.

Brian4Liberty
03-13-2014, 06:18 PM
As far as I have heard, the claimed labor shortage is not at the lower end of the "skill scale" but in skilled labor.

:rolleyes:

"Jobs Americans won't do..." The list is almost endless, according to the US Chamber of Commerce and other interests.

FindLiberty
03-13-2014, 07:22 PM
http://images4.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/82701_medium.jpg

kahless
03-13-2014, 07:25 PM
:rolleyes:

"Jobs Americans won't do..." The list is almost endless, according to the US Chamber of Commerce and other interests.

Sounds like bullshit, an excuse for increased immigration, h1b's, etc.

GunnyFreedom
03-13-2014, 07:51 PM

The work permits are generally for skilled workers.

As a highly skilled tech worker I call BS. Everywhere I look the skilled tech labor market is in high glut. I'm doing twice the skill level work as I was doing in the late 90's early 2k's, and only making about 70% of what I was back then. If there were a 'labor shortage' in my sector, there would be increased demand, and therefore an increase in the cost of that labor.

phill4paul
03-13-2014, 07:56 PM
As a highly skilled tech worker I call BS. Everywhere I look the skilled tech labor market is in high glut. I'm doing twice the skill level work as I was doing in the late 90's early 2k's, and only making about 70% of what I was back then. If there were a 'labor shortage' in my sector, there would be increased demand, and therefore an increase in the cost of that labor.

Well, see, that's the problem you lazy American. Can't believe you won't work for 40%.

GunnyFreedom
03-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Well, see, that's the problem you lazy American. Can't believe you won't work for 40%.

LOL ya stupid me, don't I know there is a labor shortage going on? I should take my 40% and be glad it's not worse! :p

PS - I really really hate Keynesianism.

William R
03-13-2014, 09:48 PM
bump

Origanalist
03-14-2014, 07:38 AM
//

Brian4Liberty
03-14-2014, 09:49 AM

I once offered to do a programming project for $25/hr. It was in a specialized area where I had experience, and I guarantee no import programmer had that expertise. They sent the project to India instead. Sticking with your "group", whatever that might be, is often the most important factor. A highly qualified American can offer lower rates and better service, but people doing the hiring or recruiting often have their own agenda.

The labor shortage is a false creation. And it's getting the the point where there is no price difference either. It's like turning the Titanic with a paddle. The mindset and propaganda will continue because is is now an engrained meme or paradigm.

oyarde
03-14-2014, 09:57 AM
I once offered to do a programming project for $25/hr. It was in a specialized area where I had experience, and I guarantee no import programmer had that expertise. They sent the project to India instead. Sticking with your "group", whatever that might be, is often the most important factor. A highly qualified American can offer lower rates and better service, but people doing the hiring or recruiting often have their own agenda.

The labor shortage is a false creation. And it's getting the the point where there is no price difference either. It's like turning the Titanic with a paddle. The mindset and propaganda will continue because is is now an engrained meme or paradigm.
Pretty much . The US is the new Saudi , high unemployment and bringing in foreign workers to do the work .

HOLLYWOOD
03-14-2014, 10:07 AM

I just got done talking to a pal of mine in HR for a fortune 500 company... Awhile back they made (required by law) to announce a "Restructuring" which would layoffs about 2500 American workers. It was communicated to media and to the government as, the restructuring was just eliminating some jobs and creating news jobs and the corporation would have about the same amount of employees at close of fiscal year.

Now for the truth, they laid off the U.S. programmers and engineers and transferred those positions/jobs in R&D and sustaining engineering, to their overseas Bangalore, India division/HQ on the cheap. Don't have to pay for ObamaCare or all the taxes/regulations/liabilities of the U.S.