PDA

View Full Version : KY-Cop may face charges for shooting neighbor's dog

Anti Federalist
03-12-2014, 10:25 AM
He didn't say the magic words and wasn't on "official" duty.

Lexington officer who killed dog could face cruelty charge; internal investigation launched

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/03/11/3133947/lexington-police-officer-who-shot.html#storylink=cpy

A Lexington police officer faces an internal investigation and might be charged later this week with animal cruelty, authorities said Tuesday.

The Scott County Sheriff's Office said deputies had asked the Scott County Attorney's Office to review the case, in which officer Jeff Brangers shot and killed a neighbor's black Labrador Saturday as it walked away from his property. Brangers, a Scott County resident, keeps chickens on his property about five miles east of Georgetown.

Scott County Sheriff Tony Hampton said Tuesday that Brangers might be charged with second-degree animal cruelty later this week.

Conflicting statements attributed to Brangers caused the sheriff's office and the county attorney's office to consider filing a charge, Hampton said.

State law says, "Any livestock owner or his agent, without liability, may kill any dog trespassing on that owner's property and observed in the act of pursuing or wounding his livestock."

Brangers initially told a sheriff's deputy that the dog was in a crouched position and looking at his chickens. But he later said that he shot the dog as it was walking away.

In that instance, if the chickens were not being pursued or wounded, Brangers would not have been within his rights to shoot the dog.

"When the dog's walking away, that changes that," Hampton said.

Dog owner Brian Geary must sign a complaint, which must also be signed by a judge. Once that is done, Brangers would be served a court summons to appear in Scott District Court, Hampton said.

Geary said Tuesday that he intends to press charges. Second-degree animal cruelty is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $500 fine.

Also Tuesday, the Lexington Division of Police said it has started an internal inquiry into the dog's shooting.

Lexington police spokeswoman Sherelle Roberts confirmed the inquiry Tuesday afternoon.

Brangers, 39, joined the Lexington police force in 2012.

Geary, who also raises chickens on his property, said in an interview on Monday that Angel, a 12-year-old Labrador, had never bothered poultry in the past. Geary said Brangers told him, "I have a right as a property owner to protect my property from threats, and I perceived her as a threat. ... Your dog was on my property. I eliminated the threat."

"If he didn't catch her chasing chickens, he had no grounds to the shoot the dog," Geary said Monday. "That's my whole premise."

Spikender
03-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Only animal cruelty?

Fuck that, if I can get charged for assaulting a police officer if I strike a police dog, I want my best friend to have the same kind of protection.

Either way, at least this bilge-blower is being charged.

Dr.3D
03-12-2014, 10:41 AM
If the dog was on his property and involved in molesting his chickens, he had every right to shoot it. Been there done that.

People who care about their dogs should make sure they keep them safe at home.

Schifference
03-12-2014, 11:03 AM
if the chickens were not being pursued or wounded, Brangers would not have been within his rights to shoot the dog.
In this sense dogs are more protected than humans.

Anti Federalist
03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
If the dog was on his property and involved in molesting his chickens, he had every right to shoot it. Been there done that.

People who care about their dogs should make sure they keep them safe at home.

Yes, and perfectly legal and within your rights to do so.

In this case however, his story changed, and the dog was walking away and hadn't bothered any of his chickens.

PaulConventionWV
03-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Only animal cruelty?

Fuck that, if I can get charged for assaulting a police officer if I strike a police dog, I want my best friend to have the same kind of protection.

Either way, at least this bilge-blower is being charged.

Second-degree animal cruelty. I'm not sure how that differs from first-degree, but it's a pretty tame charge.

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that they even took the time to charge him. Good on them.

Mani
03-12-2014, 07:12 PM
He was protecting chickens not himself.

Had he said, i feared for my safety, the poor dog could have been running away for its life and he could have chased it and gunned it down and walked away without a second thought.

Philhelm
03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Is this an Onion article?

Spikender
03-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Everyone who is talking about protecting chickens didn't read the article.

Dog didn't do anything to his chickens in either version of his story. Even if the man's initial story was the factual retelling of events, since when was looking at something grounds to shoot? Do some of you honestly believe that staring at some chickens is grounds to shoot a dog to protect them? The dog was just looking in a direction, if that's reason enough to blow the dog away, there are no words for y'all.

DamianTV
03-12-2014, 08:12 PM
There's NO Rule of Law... when the crime that is charged, not based upon what law was broken, but by who committed it.

^^^ That ^^^
(didnt even come from this thread)