PDA

View Full Version : Tillis takes local GOP straw poll

Mr.NoSmile
03-10-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm expecting some or all of the following reactions:

1. People write off this poll because Brannon didn't win.
2. People accuse the poll of being fixed in Tillis' favor (would it have been fixed had anyone else won?)
3. People say that polls don't matter at this point.

In any case:

A straw poll was conducted at the beginning of the event, with the results tallied and announced prior to Tillis’ speech. The straw poll results were as follows: U.S. Senate winner was Tillis with 73 percent of the vote, followed by Mark Harris at 16 percent and Greg Brannon with 6 percent.

McHenry won 80 percent of the U.S. Congress vote over Richard Lynch. Lincoln County Clerk of Courts results showed Candy Burgin winning with 57.6 percent, Fred Hatley with 25.7 percent and Alex Patton at 16.6 percent.

http://www.lincolntimesnews.com/2014/03/10/tillis-takes-local-gop-straw-poll/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=tillis-takes-local-gop-straw-poll

lib3rtarian
03-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Regardless of the state or county, anytime you see "Lincoln Reagan Day Dinner", that's where the wealthy establishment types gather to hobnob. In any straw polls there, the establishment types usually vote for fellow establishment types, unless someone or some group go out of the way to spend a bunch of money to stack the dinner (which doesn't often happen with cash-strapped underdog candidates and is often not worth the money spent).

Oldsouljer
03-11-2014, 04:59 AM
Regardless of the state or county, anytime you see "Lincoln Reagan Day Dinner", that's where the wealthy establishment types gather to hobnob. In any straw polls there, the establishment types usually vote for fellow establishment types, unless someone or some group go out of the way to spend a bunch of money to stack the dinner (which doesn't often happen with cash-strapped underdog candidates and is often not worth the money spent).

As was the case in the NCGOP Hall of Fame dinner which Tillis also won handily.

GunnyFreedom
03-11-2014, 05:17 AM
I'm expecting some or all of the following reactions:

1. People write off this poll because Brannon didn't win.
2. People accuse the poll of being fixed in Tillis' favor (would it have been fixed had anyone else won?)
3. People say that polls don't matter at this point.

In any case:

http://www.lincolntimesnews.com/2014/03/10/tillis-takes-local-gop-straw-poll/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=tillis-takes-local-gop-straw-poll

lol I take it you do not attend many Lincoln Day Dinners? :) There is no more staid example of status quo establishmentarianism than a Lincoln Day Dinner. Also, poll was taken at an event where only Tillis spoke, and Tillis was the primary draw for the event in the first place. The event itself was a fundraiser, held about 20 miles from Tillis's home. If we held a Ron Paul rally and took a poll on who should be President, I wonder who would win? :rolleyes: Even Dennis Kucinich wins straw polls with those odds! :D

I'm not sure what you are on about here, but it doesn't sound very well thought out...

Mr.NoSmile
03-11-2014, 08:50 AM
lol I take it you do not attend many Lincoln Day Dinners? :) There is no more staid example of status quo establishmentarianism than a Lincoln Day Dinner. Also, poll was taken at an event where only Tillis spoke, and Tillis was the primary draw for the event in the first place. The event itself was a fundraiser, held about 20 miles from Tillis's home. If we held a Ron Paul rally and took a poll on who should be President, I wonder who would win? :rolleyes: Even Dennis Kucinich wins straw polls with those odds! :D

I'm not sure what you are on about here, but it doesn't sound very well thought out...

Huh. That's one way of looking at it. Another, the one I'm taking, is that many people here downplay polls where folks we like don't win, regardless of circumstances. Try not to look too much into what's not there.

Bastiat's The Law
03-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Brannon is tied with Tillis now boys! All bets are off. :D

Guitarzan
03-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna be that guy and remind folks that, you know, Ron Paul won the Straw Poll in both 2010 and 2011 and look where that ended. The base here is mostly young folks- these are not the people who are the decision makers or king makers within the GOP. They're the small base that isn't responsible for bringing in big money. So yeah, while it may be a nice, temporary thing to gloat about, we've been down this road before. Let's not forget that many still see McConnell, Boehner, Rubio, Christie, Graham and so on as the 'faces' and voices of the GOP.

Alrighty then.

RandallFan
03-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Tillis is not going to win 80% of the vote in the statewide primary. He will be lucky to get 40% to avoid a runoff.

devil21
03-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Lincoln County? LOL You mean the county that's known to be so corrupt that their last Sheriff resigned amid allegations he was involved in criminal activity and rumors fly now that his replacement is even more corrupt?

Tillis has been invited to all the Charlotte and surrounding county Lincoln/Reagan dinners to speak "on legislative issues", while no other Senate candidates were invited to speak. Glen hit the nail on the head in his posts above. Those polls are basically just another version of stacking the deck by shutting out opposing voices.

eta: at our precinct convention, Tillis had a bunch of stuff on the tables (bumper stickers, cards), yet Brannon's representative speaker got as much, if not more, applause than Tillis' rep. Brannon had no table swag at all. Fact is, no one likes Tillis.

GunnyFreedom
03-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Huh. That's one way of looking at it. Another, the one I'm taking, is that many people here downplay polls where folks we like don't win, regardless of circumstances. Try not to look too much into what's not there.

So, your 'test case' to determine whether we treat straw polls differently based on whether or not we like the results, is to provide an example of one of the straw polls that is obviously and legitimately one of the most blatantly biased straw polls in the State? Sounds to me like you are cherry-picking the sources in order to intentionally provoke the very reaction your are predicting.

Mr.NoSmile
03-11-2014, 04:04 PM
So, your 'test case' to determine whether we treat straw polls differently based on whether or not we like the results, is to provide an example of one of the straw polls that is obviously and legitimately one of the most blatantly biased straw polls in the State? Sounds to me like you are cherry-picking the sources in order to intentionally provoke the very reaction your are predicting.

How is it cherry picking when I've only picked one source, when cherry picking would involve multiple? And what's there to determine? You can't tell me that there aren't cases where people on these forums discount polls because they don't swing toward the candidate they like. 'Christie's leading? Huckabee's on top? This poll can't be right!'

And still sounds to me like you're looking too much into what's not there. Try dialing it back.

devil21
03-11-2014, 04:10 PM
How is it cherry picking when I've only picked one source, when cherry picking would involve multiple? And what's there to determine? You can't tell me that there aren't cases where people on these forums discount polls because they don't swing toward the candidate they like. 'Christie's leading? Huckabee's on top? This poll can't be right!'

And still sounds to me like you're looking too much into what's not there. Try dialing it back.

Perhaps you should understand that polls are often created to sway public opinion, not report public opinion.

Why are you here? What are you doing to help Liberty candidates win office? Can't remember reading a single positive post from you on RPF.

Mr.NoSmile
03-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Perhaps you should understand that polls are often created to sway public opinion, not report public opinion.

Why are you here? What are you doing to help Liberty candidates win office? Can't remember reading a single positive post from you on RPF.

And as I've said, this is one poll. Never called it the end all, be all poll. And really, don't stray off topic with the whole 'Why are you here' just because I've posted something people disagree on- which isn't exactly new for a forum or this particular forum. I'm glad to know you're apparently tracking my posts (Something to do in your free time, I'm assuming?) to see if I've written anything that fills people with sunshines, lollipops and rainbows. Funny, I can't remember what I posted two months go, but neither that nor you reading any positive posts of mine have anything to do with this particular thread. And I spread word online, if you really must know.

devil21
03-11-2014, 05:49 PM
And as I've said, this is one poll. Never called it the end all, be all poll. And really, don't stray off topic with the whole 'Why are you here' just because I've posted something people disagree on- which isn't exactly new for a forum or this particular forum. I'm glad to know you're apparently tracking my posts (Something to do in your free time, I'm assuming?) to see if I've written anything that fills people with sunshines, lollipops and rainbows. Funny, I can't remember what I posted two months go, but neither that nor you reading any positive posts of mine have anything to do with this particular thread. And I spread word online, if you really must know.

There is no straying off-topic here. The uselessness of this thread has already been explained by some of us very familiar with the subject matter. Do you have anything else to add to help Brannon win election or can we just expect more Debbie Downer threads intended to demoralize a motivated grassroots base?

lib3rtarian
03-11-2014, 06:35 PM
There is no straying off-topic here. The uselessness of this thread has already been explained by some of us very familiar with the subject matter. Do you have anything else to add to help Brannon win election or can we just expect more Debbie Downer threads intended to demoralize a motivated grassroots base?

For some reason, Mr. NoSmile, is very anti-Brannon. See this (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?441773-I-had-a-long-talk-with-Brannon-today&p=5380747&viewfull=1#post5380747) as an example.

devil21
03-11-2014, 06:49 PM
For some reason, Mr. NoSmile, is very anti-Brannon. See this (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?441773-I-had-a-long-talk-with-Brannon-today&p=5380747&viewfull=1#post5380747) as an example.

He's just another of the shills sent here to disrupt and bring negativity on behalf of his paymasters. A positive thread? Have no fear, Mr. NoSmile will along shortly to tell you how it doesn't matter. Negative thread? Mr. NoSmile will be along shortly (assuming he didn't start it) to tell you how it matters so much!

lib3rtarian
03-11-2014, 06:55 PM
He's just another of the shills sent here to disrupt and bring negativity on behalf of his paymasters. A positive thread? Have no fear, Mr. NoSmile will along shortly to tell you how it doesn't matter. Negative thread? Mr. NoSmile will be along shortly (assuming he didn't start it) to tell you how it matters so much!

And hence his name.

Mr.NoSmile
03-11-2014, 07:33 PM

Oh yes...questioning why pointing out something that most people on this forum already know and accept is very anti. Oh, and really? The whole 'paymaster' and 'shills' line? No wonder the term conspiracy theorist is used so frequently- people are so paranoid. How dare I post something you don't agree with? How dare I not just be the eternal optimist. We're all such saps, aren't we? And if we're really going to go after usernames on a forum- seriously? How old is everyone?- devil isn't exactly the most inviting name.

Please enlighten me as to whom my paymasters are, devil, since you seem to know everything about me. No? Nothing? Then don't say something you can't back up.

devil21
03-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Oh yes...questioning why pointing out something that most people on this forum already know and accept is very anti. Oh, and really? The whole 'paymaster' and 'shills' line? No wonder the term conspiracy theorist is used so frequently- people are so paranoid. How dare I post something you don't agree with? How dare I not just be the eternal optimist. We're all such saps, aren't we? And if we're really going to go after usernames on a forum- seriously? How old is everyone?- devil isn't exactly the most inviting name.

Please enlighten me as to whom my paymasters are, devil, since you seem to know everything about me. No? Nothing? Then don't say something you can't back up.

Awww looks like we hurt his feelings. Maybe a different forum would be more to your liking?

William Tell
03-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Boys....boys........

Mr.NoSmile
03-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Awww looks like we hurt his feelings. Maybe a different forum would be more to your liking?

Nah. This one'll do. You can put up with me, though. Won't take much effort since you seem to be fond of my 'negative' post history.