PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul endorses David Jolly in FL-13 special election

compromise
03-08-2014, 10:34 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/07/Rand-Paul-Does-American-Crossroads-Robocall-To-Thwart-Libertarian-Candidate

Hi, this is Senator Rand Paul. I'm calling to urge you to vote on Tuesday for David Jolly in the race for Congress. David believes in smaller government. He thinks it's the way to protect our liberty, and I agree, that's why I'm supporting him. He will go to Congress to ensure you, not the government, are making decisions for you and your family. Please remember to vote on Tuesday for David Jolly. Thank you.

compromise
03-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Looks like the NRCC want to defund this guy:

National GOP turns on Florida candidate

CLEARWATER, Fla. — Their frustration had been mounting for weeks. But by late January national Republicans had had it with David Jolly, their candidate in Tuesday’s nationally watched Florida congressional special election.

The candidate had just told the state’s top political reporter that he disagreed with an ad the party was airing against his Democratic opponent — a spot paid for with the nearly $500,000 the GOP had already spent on Jolly’s behalf.

“Are you f—-ing kidding me?” a senior National Republican Congressional Committee official told a Jolly staffer over the phone, according to two sources familiar with the conversation. Would the Jolly campaign prefer that the NRCC stop spending money in the race altogether? the official asked.

Over the past week, a half-dozen Washington Republicans have described Jolly’s campaign against Democrat Alex Sink as a Keystone Cops operation, marked by inept fundraising, top advisers stationed hundreds of miles away from the district in the state capital and the poor optics of a just-divorced, 41-year-old candidate accompanied on the campaign trail by a girlfriend 14 years his junior. The sources would speak only on condition of anonymity.

Publicly, both sides declined to discuss the dispute. In a brief interview here this week, Jolly shrugged off questions about how he’s conducted his campaign. Andrea Bozek, an NRCC spokeswoman said, “We don’t discuss internal conversations we have with campaigns,” but added that “local and national Republicans have been working around the clock to elect David Jolly on Tuesday.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/david-jolly-alex-sink-florida-special-election-2014-104397.html#ixzz2vOIYpQiF

compromise
03-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Some of Jolly's positions on the issues:

http://ccpcfl.org/Voter-Guides/2014/Doc4.html

1. What can Congress do to help return manufacturing jobs to the United States?
Jolly: End excessive regulations that act as a tax on businesses, dramatically reduce the corporate income tax, and eliminate laws that make it tough for domestic businesses to compete with foreign companies.

2. How should the federal government proceed in addressing the national debt?
Jolly: Balanced budget amendment and long-term entitlement reform that reduces mandatory federal spending.

4. Do you support a full and complete audit of the Federal Reserve?
Jolly: Yes.

8. Do you favor scaling back or ending the NSA’s domestic surveillance programs? If so, what changes do you propose or support?
Jolly: Yes, any surveillance of an American citizen without proper adjudication by a court should be illegal.

9. Do you favor a repeal of the indefinite detention provisions in the NDAA of 2012? Why or why not?
Jolly: The Constitution, specifically in the 4th Amendment, prohibits the indefinite detention of an American citizen and any law that conflicts with this I do not support.

14. Do you support a repeal of the Affordable Care Act?

16. In what way(s) should government be involved with marriage?
Jolly: Marriage is a matter of state law not federal.

18. Currently, one US Congressman utilizes social networking to promote government transparency by sharing every single vote he casts in Congress, and providing an explanation for that vote. Will you promise to provide a similar level of openness and accessibility to the votes you cast?

RLC Q&A with Jolly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4GAaRFIG8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4GAaRFIG8

Matt Collins
03-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Rand is a Republican... this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Besides, RON PAUL has endorsed some pretty bad people too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJqSLNy8ms

compromise
03-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Agreed, this endorsement was an excellent strategic move.

philipped
03-08-2014, 03:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJqSLNy8ms
This is not an incumbent we're talking about. I personally think in this election, Overby is a WAY better pick. I wish someone would give a legit explanation as to why he makes these kind of endorsements (Romney, Cuccinelli, Jolly).

compromise
03-08-2014, 03:51 PM
This is not an incumbent we're talking about. I personally think in this election, Overby is a WAY better pick. I wish someone would give a legit explanation as to why he makes these kind of endorsements (Romney, Cuccinelli, Jolly).

Lucas Overby cannot win. This is a very close race and Jolly seems to be at least somewhat liberty-leaning, so it makes sense to back Jolly.

Cuccinelli was an excellent choice. People in the liberty movement supported him long before Rand's endorsement. Sarvis was just a liberal masquerading as a libertarian.

RandallFan
03-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Jolly has been gifted a chance to call the Democrat racist and for cheap labor. Though the racist accusation wont win votes, the cheap labor taunts will.

Mr.NoSmile
03-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Weren't there a bunch of people here pulling for Bircher? Now it's all in for Jolly?

compromise
03-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Weren't there a bunch of people here pulling for Bircher? Now it's all in for Jolly?
Bircher was purer, more of an Amash/Massie-style candidate, but he lost the primary. Jolly seems like more of a fellow traveller than a true liberty candidate. He was more conservative than Peters in the primary.

philipped
03-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Lucas Overby cannot win. This is a very close race and Jolly seems to be at least somewhat liberty-leaning, so it makes sense to back Jolly.

Cuccinelli was an excellent choice. People in the liberty movement supported him long before Rand's endorsement. Sarvis was just a liberal masquerading as a libertarian.
That doesn't answer my question but I appreciate it.

compromise
03-09-2014, 06:01 AM
That doesn't answer my question but I appreciate it.

He made this endorsement (and Cuccinelli) to prevent the LP splitting the right of center vote and giving the Democrat victory over a somewhat liberty-minded Republican.

devil21
03-09-2014, 02:31 PM
http://www.davidjolly.com/issues

Defense & Foreign Policy

We are the greatest nation on earth because of the sacrifice of those who have served and those who continue to serve in our Armed Forces. Our nation is safer today because of our men and women in uniform who have taken the defense of liberty to our enemies and protected us here at home. We must preserve our military strength, and we must ensure that our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines, including those serving in the Guard & Reserves, are equipped with the most advanced tools and technologies necessary to execute their mission and return home safely. We also must advance a foreign policy that protects the strength of the United States of America, and ends the pattern of this Administration negotiating away our leverage. We must stand by our allies who fight with us against terrorist cells around the globe, and allies like Israel who advance stability and freedom in increasingly unstable regions.

Big ol interventionist.

compromise
03-09-2014, 05:02 PM
http://www.davidjolly.com/issues

Big ol interventionist.

As is his Democratic opponent.

The differences are on economic and civil liberties issues.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
03-09-2014, 10:17 PM
1. Rand can't endorse a Democrat.
2. Appparently the national party has abandoned Jolly. So if Rand endorses and Jolly wins, a Congressman will owe Rand more than he owes the RNC(C). Which is good.

Mr.NoSmile
03-10-2014, 09:50 AM
1. Rand can't endorse a Democrat.
2. Appparently the national party has abandoned Jolly. So if Rand endorses and Jolly wins, a Congressman will owe Rand more than he owes the RNC(C). Which is good.

He'd have to win first. And given how Cuccinelli was abandoned by the national Party and didn't end up winning, and how there's a lot of pressure on Sink to win, it could be tight.

compromise
03-10-2014, 10:08 AM
He'd have to win first. And given how Cuccinelli was abandoned by the national Party and didn't end up winning, and how there's a lot of pressure on Sink to win, it could be tight.

The national party also abandoned Sanford and there was a lot of pressure on Colbert-Busch to win in that race. Rand endorsed and earned himself a strong ally.

compromise
03-10-2014, 10:24 AM

Watch the RLC video edited into the 2nd post, he isn't a bad guy. Rand has never endorsed anyone remotely like Lamar Smith.

Rand's endorsement appears to be tipping the balance in this race:

Not much more can be said about Tuesday’s special election in Florida’s CD-13, other than that i will be one of the closest elections in years. Republican David Jolly has been surging of late, but many feel that if the Libertarian candidate in the race would have dropped out before his name would have been put onto the ballot, Jolly would now be enjoying a comfortable lead over Democrat Alex Sink. What does it say when the Libertarian Party’s favorite politician, Senator Rand Paul, endorses and makes Robo-calls for Republican David Jolly, and not the Libertarian in the race? Automated calls with Paul’s voice have been buzzing phones in Pinellas Country, which I am assuming are being made to take back support and pry away support from the Libertarian in the race. Sink’s campaign has been dinged for her support of he unpopular and job-killing Obamacare, which will probably be the reason she loses this race, if she loses it. Jolly will most likely win the race by a margin of 2-5 points. But then again, he may win it by a lot more, as polls have historically been proven to be off their mark. We all saw what happened in the 2004 Presidential election between President Bush and John Kerry, where exit polls had Kerry crushing Bush.
Read more at: http://www.shark-tank.com/2014/03/10/libertarians-should-listen-to-rand-paul-david-jolly-surges/ | The Shark Tank

philipped
03-10-2014, 06:03 PM
I mean, if Jolly can be on the same side as Amash, Massie, Labrador and the rest in the house then let it be. But if I was in District 13, my vote would go to Overby. It's either a GOOD libertarian-Republican, Tea Party Republican or LP pick for me.

compromise
03-11-2014, 01:45 PM
I mean, if Jolly can be on the same side as Amash, Massie, Labrador and the rest in the house then let it be. But if I was in District 13, my vote would go to Overby. It's either a GOOD libertarian-Republican, Tea Party Republican or LP pick for me.

With Rand's backing, Jolly will could well win by a margin of 1-2%.

supermario21
03-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Jolly is on his way to a 2-3 point win with the Libertarian pulling 5-6% in a district won by Obama the past 2 presidential elections.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Jolly wins.

http://enr.votepinellas.com/FL/Pinellas/50891/125048/en/scrolling.html?rnd=0.1615621007513255

225 of 225 Precincts Reporting

Percent Votes

David W. Jolly (REP) 48.43% 88,294

Alex Sink (DEM) 46.56% 84,877

Lucas Overby (LPF) 4.83% 8,799

WRITE-IN 0.18% 325

Libertarian candidate failed to ruin it.

eleganz
03-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Jolly wins.

http://enr.votepinellas.com/FL/Pinellas/50891/125048/en/scrolling.html?rnd=0.1615621007513255

Libertarian candidate failed to ruin it.

lol, good for Rand. Also good for us, the guy is not that bad, he gets ndaa, nsa and all that other jazz. Glass half full people.

MichaelDavis
03-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Fantastic. The two bellwethers for 2014 were the San Diego Mayoral election and the FL-13 congressional election. Both were areas narrowly won by Obama in 2012 only to be won by Republicans in special elections. 2014 is shaping up to be a great year. Hopefully we can retake the Senate in 2014 and the presidency in 2016. Then, and only then, can we restore a smaller and more managable government, like repealing Obamacare.

RandallFan
03-11-2014, 06:24 PM
I wonder how many voters voted against Rubio and the GOP position on Ukraine when voting.

devil21
03-11-2014, 06:29 PM
lol, good for Rand. Also good for us, the guy is not that bad, he gets ndaa, nsa and all that other jazz. Glass half full people.

How can you possibly reconcile his blatantly interventionist foreign policy statement with also being for reigning in NDAA, NSA, etc? They all go hand in hand. Any candidate that pushes interventionism is automatically suspect in all other areas. "War is the health of The State", after all. "All wars are banker wars" too.

Good for Rand I guess, since he should get a small bump for his endorsement, but I don't want to see him endorsing hawks becoming a trend.

compromise
03-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Overby was another liberal in Libertarian clothing. Glad Jolly won.

Should Florida accept federal money to expand Medicaid? Overby said yes; Sink said yes. Jolly said not unless there is a guarantee the money can’t be taken away.

Overby said he was in favor of getting the cost of health care down.

“Some parts of Obamacare are good,” he said. “But there needs to be less focus on insurance and more on reduced costs.”

Overby said he supported the plan recently passed by the Senate to delay insurance rate hikes for four years to allow time to work on “real solutions.” He supports expanding the public option and more involvement by private insurers.

NIU Students for Liberty
03-12-2014, 04:14 PM
"We also must advance a foreign policy that protects the strength of the United States of America, and ends the pattern of this Administration negotiating away our leverage. We must stand by our allies who fight with us against terrorist cells around the globe, and allies like Israel who advance stability and freedom in increasingly unstable regions." - David Jolly

Fuck this guy.