PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Judge Issues Ruling That Could Give Anonymous Online Commenters Second Thoughts

RonPaulFanInGA
03-08-2014, 09:10 AM
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/03/05/philadelphia-judge-issues-ruling-that-could-give-anonymous-online-commenters-second-thoughts/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A Philadelphia judge has ordered philly.com to reveal the name of an anonymous commenter, in a defamation suit brought by electricians’ union leader John Dougherty.

An attorney in the case says it could have a broad impact on incendiary online comments and those users, sometimes called “trolls,” who post them anonymously.

The anonymous defendant in the suit, disguised by the nonsense name “fbpdplt,” called Dougherty a name in the comments section of an article on the website, one of the properties in the media group that also owns the Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News.

The website is not a party to the suit but it received a subpoena, more than a year ago, for information on the commenter. Its attorney, Eli Segal, says, “the company went to Court to make sure that the defendant received notice and an opportunity to be heard.”

aGameOfThrones
03-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Lori Hollywood • 3 minutes ago
Did a little research. The commenter called Dougherty a "pedophile", which is more than just a "name". I'm not fond of union leaders, but unless there is any verifiable evidence that he abuses children, that crosses a line and would be defamation, not free speech. It's different than voicing an opinion, even in vulgar terms.

Lori Hollywood • 10 minutes ago
Was the name true?

JhoffaX Lori Hollywood • 3 minutes ago
Yes, it was..

Mr. Dougherty's own mother confirmed that he molests bears in the woods with his face and behind.

CPUd
03-08-2014, 12:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBWbpTJRqk

nobody's_hero
03-08-2014, 01:57 PM
This guy summed it up quite well.

How on Earth does anyone defame anybody these days? Did he/she/it (for the transgendered) accuse Mr. Dougherty of being a moral, God fearing, sober, great father, married to the same women and never cheated on her? I mean I thought for it to be defamation it had to be untrue. Everybody is POS in America these days.

lol

I think defamation suits are a load of bunk anyway. It implies rather arrogantly that anyone even gives a **** who you are, which on the internet, is quite rare. If I were a judge I'd start serving a tall cold glass of 'get over it'.

DamianTV
03-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Lawsuits, Fines, Penalties, Imprisonment, Penalties, Self Censorship, Filter Bubbles that enable Individualized Propoganda, all enabled by the destruction of Privacy. Without the ability to privately organize and discuss the problems, there can be absolutely no chance of a Revolution. At that point, the only hope is the system that controls and owns you collapses under its own weight.

Christian Liberty
03-08-2014, 05:20 PM
This guy summed it up quite well.

lol

I think defamation suits are a load of bunk anyway. It implies rather arrogantly that anyone even gives a **** who you are, which on the internet, is quite rare. If I were a judge I'd start serving a tall cold glass of 'get over it'.

not to mention that libel, while distasteful, is not an NAP violation.

HOLLYWOOD
03-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Only government and their partner corporations can slander and lie... even charge the propaganda of lies to the taxpayers.

Hmm, this sounds sooooooo familiar, I wonder what I can find: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06/abby-huntsman-jon-china-video-ron-paul-supporters_n_1190360.html

Abby Huntsman Livingston: Ron Paul Supporters' Jon Huntsman Attack Ad Is 'Vile' (VIDEO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZeVqj-t1U0

aGameOfThrones
03-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Lori Hollywood • 3 minutes ago
Did a little research. The commenter called Dougherty a "pedophile", which is more than just a "name". I'm not fond of union leaders, but unless there is any verifiable evidence that he abuses children , that crosses a line and would be defamation, not free speech. It's different than voicing an opinion, even in vulgar terms.

Hahaha, I didn't say it.