PDA

View Full Version : Vice magazine reporting inside Crimea, crazy $&^@!

BenIsForRon
03-08-2014, 01:19 AM
Really interesting, a more in depth look than what you're seeing elsewhere. Journalist has balls of steel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNKsLlK52ss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y57vy4vWb-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnpXASPd1h4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGSrcYLsOMI

CPUd
03-08-2014, 01:58 AM
If either side does decide to start shooting, they will first have to shoot the singing nuns in between them.

Occam's Banana
03-08-2014, 03:17 AM
If either side does decide to start shooting, they will first have to shoot the singing nuns in between them.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be mown down in the crossfire ...

Spikender
03-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Wow, these videos were great, thanks for sharing. I've seen Vice before, but I hadn't checked out a lot of the latest videos.

Snew
03-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Vice videos are freakin' awesome. A lot of their journalists must be absolutely fearless!

Nolan
03-08-2014, 07:59 PM
I stop watching as soon as the text said Russian "invaded" Crimea. Vice is using the neocon language as far as Crimeans are concerned. Is Russia's occupying of Crimea categorized as an "invasion" if Crimea allowed Russia to enter? No bloodshed had been done to the Crimean people, so can it be called an invasion?

Vice is paid for by Mudoch, and that in itself lost all its credibility. It's ironic though that Vice see itself as progressive when its investor is playing both sides.

silverhandorder
03-08-2014, 09:51 PM
FYI small inside info for you guys. My relatives in Crimea telling me there isn't a person in the city who is not voting pro-russian. The Russians in Crimea are unified in their support for Russia. That covers Yalta, Sevastopol and Simferopol. I think that is representative of the entire island. The only opposition is coming from tatar people who were oppressed by russians in Crimea.

RonPaulMall
03-08-2014, 10:45 PM
I stop watching as soon as the text said Russian "invaded" Crimea. Vice is using the neocon language as far as Crimeans are concerned. Is Russia's occupying of Crimea categorized as an "invasion" if Crimea allowed Russia to enter? No bloodshed had been done to the Crimean people, so can it be called an invasion?

Vice is paid for by Mudoch, and that in itself lost all its credibility. It's ironic though that Vice see itself as progressive when its investor is playing both sides.

You should not have stopped watching. Video does an excellent job displaying just how reasonable the Russians are behaving and totally undercuts the neocon propaganda. The one line by the reporter sums it up perfectly, "the most chill occupation ever". :D

WM_in_MO
03-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Vice does a great job of providing unique coverage.

fr33
03-08-2014, 11:05 PM
FYI small inside info for you guys. My relatives in Crimea telling me there isn't a person in the city who is not voting pro-russian. The Russians in Crimea are unified in their support for Russia. That covers Yalta, Sevastopol and Simferopol. I think that is representative of the entire island. The only opposition is coming from tatar people who were oppressed by russians in Crimea.

Then as a libertarian, I can identify with the tatars. People all around me vote for idiotic statism.

silverhandorder
03-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Then as a libertarian, I can identify with the tatars. People all around me vote for idiotic statism.

I can identify with anyone who is oppressed and outnumbered. Tatars are in a unique position though. They want to reclaim what they lost and they have a government of their own not recognized by Crimeans. Local Russians fear them because they are so organized. I remember as a baby of being scared with stories of how they are back stabbers and bloodthirsty.

gwax23
03-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Those Oppressed souls!!! They Cheer for Russia!!?? INVASION I TELL YOU

BenIsForRon
03-11-2014, 08:13 PM
A couple more videos released. The last one is pretty scary. Russian troops are getting more bold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlLN9E2kcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdBeGwXgoqI

GunnyFreedom
03-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the vids, I hadn't caught #6 yet

gwax23
03-11-2014, 08:37 PM
I like Vice only fr its footage and images not really for its commentary. They are trying desperately to make the Russians look bad. They arent even attempting to be unbias (they dont have to be unbias but dont claim to be unbias when you clearly are) Not just for this issue but slews of others. They are quite leftist in outlook, I mean they are run by a bunch of stuck up elitist arrogant hipsters and yuppies from Brooklyn....

klamath
03-11-2014, 08:40 PM
The guy that is in charge of Crimea is soviet not Russian. He was a trained soviet military officer that lost his commission in the red army when the soviet army collapsed.

2young2vote
03-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Wow. There are many things to take away from these Vice videos, and I feel that they are probably a bit more objective than the MSM simply because of their style, of showing the raw footage.

1. The Ukrainian military were VERY open, even going so far as to allow him to walk around their base, climb in their APCs, and film almost everything they do.

2. The Russian side seems to be VERY closed - something i'd expect from the US military as well.

3. He states at about 7:50 in the 6th video that the Berkut was the name of the group (the riot police) that were battling the protesters in Kiev. These riot police, once the riots were over, went back home to Crimea and were reinstated by the Russians to man the checkpoint that he got confronted at.

I'm confused, were those riot police Ukrainians who simply switched sides once Crimea had been taken, or were they on Russia's side all along?

BenIsForRon
03-11-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm confused, were those riot police Ukrainians who simply switched sides once Crimea had been taken, or were they on Russia's side all along?

I have no idea. Maybe they had pretty close ties to the previous Ukranian government, which itself had close ties with Moscow.

Spikender
03-11-2014, 10:56 PM
I like Vice only fr its footage and images not really for its commentary. They are trying desperately to make the Russians look bad. They arent even attempting to be unbias (they dont have to be unbias but dont claim to be unbias when you clearly are) Not just for this issue but slews of others. They are quite leftist in outlook, I mean they are run by a bunch of stuck up elitist arrogant hipsters and yuppies from Brooklyn....

So stuck up and arrogant that they literally put their lives on the line to show us what's going on around the world.

Save your own biases, please.

And in the latest two videos, the Russians did nothing to not make themselves look bad. They literally grabbed and questioned them and accused them of having arms when they didn't.

I watch VICE for the footage and images as well, and they show that this is a very complicated situation. As far as I can see, the Russians are being covered fairly thus far and you're just looking for any little thing to criticize them on.