PDA

View Full Version : SC Deputy Shoots and Kills Tied-Up Labrador Retriever During Welfare Check

SeanTX
03-07-2014, 10:22 AM
"Well, she got what she deserved the dog shouldn't have been running around off its leash! " -- oh, wait, it was leashed, on its master's own damned property , doing its job (protecting the home from bad guys). Another case of a person calling the police for their "help" , resulting in state-sanctioned violence.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/05/3307997/dog-on-leash-shot-and-killed-by.html

YORK COUNTY, SC — Alice Renee McGlone says her cats Rhett Butler and Tara will have to go on without Scarlett –– her 9-year-old Labrador retriever –– after a York County Sheriff’s Office deputy shot and killed the dog when, he says, it charged him aggressively on Tuesday.

McGlone’s friend Ron Montana buried Scarlett on Wednesday afternoon in her backyard, under a tree, on Clara Street in Rock Hill. Montana and McGlone say they’re outraged that the deputy used lethal force.

But, sheriff’s officials say the deputy had no choice but to protect himself from the dog.

“He hated to have done what he did but we teach our officers that they need to protect themselves in all situations,” said Capt. Allen Brandon. “It’s regrettable what happened.”

Scarlett was a friendly dog and warmed to strangers easily, McGlone said. After adopting the dog from a shelter at six weeks old, she and Scarlett were “inseparable.”

On Wednesday, Scarlett’s body was covered by a teal blanket in McGlone’s yard. Before Montana buried the dog, McGlone knelt beside Scarlett and held her paw.

Montana and McGlone say they don’t understand how a deputy felt so threatened by Scarlett that he shot her.

On Tuesday, two deputies went to McGlone’s house just before 4 p.m. after McGlone’s daughter called police to say she hadn’t heard from her mother since Feb. 26. McGlone had been sick, she explained, and her phone was dead on Sunday night when her daughter in Virginia tried to call.

When deputies arrived for a routine welfare check, no one was home. There were no cars in the driveway and deputies noticed a broken window screen, pulled away from a window on the side of McGlone’s house.

They tried knocking on McGlone’s front door first but got no response, according to a sheriff’s office report.

As one deputy, Deputy Jonathan Reed, knocked on a window at the rear of McGlone’s house, he saw her dog “charging” and “snarling with bared teeth,” with its head lowered, the report states.

As Reed “retreated,” he saw that the dog was on a leash, he wrote in the report. “However, I saw that the leash was long enough to allow the dog to reach me before I could get away.”

With no time to “yell at the dog or use a less lethal deterrent,” Reed wrote, “I instinctively drew my handgun and fired once, striking the dog in the top of the head.”

The one shot killed Scarlett. Reed was not injured during the incident.

snip

On Tuesday, as Montana dug a hole in the yard for Scarlett’s burial, McGlone sat inside her home, looking at pictures of Scarlett, as her cats meandered around the yard and onto the porch.

McGlone was still in disbelief, she said, and wished she’d done things differently before leaving the house on Tuesday.

“Something told me to just bring Scarlett in and I didn’t. And I beat myself up for that.”

JK/SEA
03-07-2014, 10:28 AM
pussy cops make me sick. Too bad girly-men get badges and guns....maybe 10 year old girls should be called in to take care of 'scary' dogs for those whiny blood thirsty assholes.....

just a suggestion...can you hear me girly cop?

Cissy
03-07-2014, 12:03 PM
pussy cops make me sick. Too bad girly-men get badges and guns....maybe 10 year old girls should be called in to take care of 'scary' dogs for those whiny blood thirsty assholes.....

just a suggestion...can you hear me girly cop?

It's not fear; it's control.

The uppity peasant not only dared to own a dog, but she dared to have the dog in the path of the noble knight Of the realm.

Anti Federalist
03-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Family calls cops to check up on elderly, ill, mother.

Cops show up and shoot elderly, ill mother's dog.

Yup, sounds about right.

Outside, it's AmeriKa...

Paulbot99
03-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Was the poor, brave officer hurt? His safety is all that matters. :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
03-07-2014, 01:04 PM
It's not fear; it's control.

The uppity peasant not only dared to own a dog, but she dared to have the dog in the path of the noble knight Of the realm.

This.

The whole "I was skeered for muh safe-tee" thing is bullshit, that's just the magic incantation that has to be repeated for the Circular Force Continuum to take effect.

They shoot our dogs, they shoot US, because they fucking can.

Because we are Mundanes and they are the Enforcers.

Because we are "civilians" and they are "officers".

Because we are slaves and they are Paddy Rollers.

Because they think, and they are, as far as the legal system is concerned, better than us.

And if you cross them for one second, they will be sure to show you how much better they are.

They will kill you and your family and your pets and call in military style raiders to burn your home to the ground, and get away with it.

If the orders came down today to start rounding up "undesirables" and putting a bullet in their brains at the edge of the mass grave, they would do it.

And they will keep on doing it, until we stop them.

Simple as that.

thoughtomator
03-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Asking the government to bring you free stuff pretty much authorizes it to shoot your dog. I mean, after all, that process requires you being OK with the government shooting other people, and no matter how much you like dogs it's hard to argue that they deserve more protection from the law than human beings.

SeanTX
03-07-2014, 04:01 PM
A cop in OK shot himself shooting at a dog the other day . At least in this story the dog had supposedly attacked others, and was attacking the deputy who shot himself -- however, it shows that even with a truly aggressive dog, shooting may not always be the best option -- but it's the only one they are taught to use.

http://www.newson6.com/story/24893838/deputy-accidentally-shoots-self-as-dog-attacks-him-in-spencer

Deputy Accidentally Shoots Self As Dog Attacks Him In Spencer
Posted: Mar 05, 2014 11:52 AM CST Updated: Mar 05, 2014 11:52 AM CST

SPENCER, Oklahoma -

An Oklahoma County Sheriff's deputy accidentally shot himself in the foot when he tried to shoot a dog that was attacking him Tuesday morning in Spencer.

According to the Sheriff's office, at about 9:30 a.m., a deputy responded to the report of a vicious animal in the area of 3500 Hicks Avenue. Authorities say a large pit-bull had attacked two people, including an under aged girl who was transported to the hospital to receive stitches.

When the deputy arrived at the scene, the dog began attacking him, according to the Sheriff's office. The dog had a hold of the deputy's leg, and in an attempt to protect himself and others in the area, the deputy attempted to shoot the dog.

However, according to the Sheriff's office, when the deputy pulled the trigger, the dog pulled on his leg. Instead of shooting the dog, the deputy accidentally shot himself in the foot.

snip

Philhelm
03-07-2014, 04:07 PM
However, according to the Sheriff's office, when the deputy pulled the trigger, the dog pulled on his leg. Instead of shooting the dog, the deputy accidentally shot himself in the foot.

I just creamed my jeans. An officer is hurt and made to look like a complete moron.

The dog only attacked because it feared for its life. The officer did it to himself.

Dr.3D
03-07-2014, 04:31 PM
I just creamed my jeans. An officer is hurt and made to look like a complete moron.

The dog only attacked because it feared for its life. The officer did it to himself.
I wish that would happen every time they did that.

Edit: Not your jeans part but the shooting themselves part.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
03-07-2014, 05:18 PM
A cop in OK shot himself shooting at a dog the other day . At least in this story the dog had supposedly attacked others, and was attacking the deputy who shot himself

http://www.newson6.com/story/24893838/deputy-accidentally-shoots-self-as-dog-attacks-him-in-spencer

Now THAT is truly funny. Too bad the dog was not biting that thug's face when he pulled the trigger.

Anti Federalist
03-07-2014, 06:08 PM

Stop resisting! Stop resisting!

Anti Federalist
03-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Stop resisting! Stop resisting!

Intoxiklown
03-07-2014, 06:15 PM
As one deputy, Deputy Jonathan Reed, knocked on a window at the rear of McGlone’s house, he saw her dog “charging” and “snarling with bared teeth,” with its head lowered, the report states.

As Reed “retreated,” he saw that the dog was on a leash, he wrote in the report. “However, I saw that the leash was long enough to allow the dog to reach me before I could get away.”

With no time to “yell at the dog or use a less lethal deterrent,” Reed wrote, “I instinctively drew my handgun and fired once, striking the dog in the top of the head.”

This cop, in a split second, fearful of this fast charging dog, drew his weapon, fired once, and got off a perfect shot in the middle of it's head?

BS

That is taking your time, and getting a well placed kill shot on an animal.

Cleaner44
03-07-2014, 07:17 PM
This.

The whole "I was skeered for muh safe-tee" thing is bullshit, that's just the magic incantation that has to be repeated for the Circular Force Continuum to take effect.

They shoot our dogs, they shoot US, because they fucking can.

Because we are Mundanes and they are the Enforcers.

Because we are "civilians" and they are "officers".

Because we are slaves and they are Paddy Rollers.

Because they think, and they are, as far as the legal system is concerned, better than us.

And if you cross them for one second, they will be sure to show you how much better they are.

They will kill you and your family and your pets and call in military style raiders to burn your home to the ground, and get away with it.

If the orders came down today to start rounding up "undesirables" and putting a bullet in their brains at the edge of the mass grave, they would do it.

And they will keep on doing it, until we stop them.

Simple as that.

+rep and thank you for your clarity.

DamianTV
03-07-2014, 07:55 PM
In the mind of a Cop, a Dog is a Weapon.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
03-07-2014, 08:03 PM
This cop, in a split second, fearful of this fast charging dog, drew his weapon, fired once, and got off a perfect shot in the middle of it's head?

BS

That is taking your time, and getting a well placed kill shot on an animal.

Yep; that is total baloney. Anybody who knows how difficult it is to get an accurate shot even at a stationery target would question this to its core. It would not even be a matter of a lucky shot either. This pig would have likely shot 2 or 3 three rounds under what he described. He viciously and calculatingly killed that dog.

SeanTX
03-07-2014, 08:07 PM
A damage control story, about the "hero" deputy who just "HAD" to shoot a dog ... yeah, the hero deputy could have been mauled and maimed by an old lab that was tied on a chain on its master's private property .... BARF .

If a cop does a good deed once in a while, I guess that entitles him to do whatever he wants. I think this article is one of the biggest pieces of pure statist propaganda I've ever read -- Pravda would have been proud.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2014/03/07/5749795/family-helped-by-york-county-deputy.html#storylink=cpy

Family helped by York County deputy who shot a dog: ‘He’s our hero’

By Andrew Dys

March 7, 2014

LESSLIE — Out in Lesslie, there is a mobile home that is just that – a home.

It has heat and running water, windows and toys – and a family that loves each other. The home has two dogs, too, which live outside in doghouses.

It is a home just like the house on Clara Street in Rock Hill where a York County sheriff’s deputy had to shoot a chained dog that had tried to attack him on Tuesday.

A police officer is someone the public trusts to help when crime, accidents or other misfortunes happen. Cops often have less than a second to make decisions out there in the ugly world, where bad guys and dogs do not think twice about biting or worse.

Eight-year veteran Deputy Jonathan Reed, 28, went to the Clara Street house at the request of a family member to see if the person who lived there was OK. When the dog, Scarlett, lunged at Reed, he shot it in the head.

So many who get enraged when pets die – but maybe not so much when officers are potentially mauled or maimed – have wondered if this deputy did the right thing on Tuesday.

The woman who lives in that mobile home out in Lesslie was worried when she heard about the shooting. She was not worried about whether Reed had done the right thing – she knows Reed does the right thing.

“Oh, no!” Sara Barnstable shouted. “Is Reed OK? Was he hurt?”

Barnstable loves dogs; she has two of her own. She said she never wants to see a dog die, but her concern was for the deputy. A person’s safety “always” comes first, Barnstable said.

And Jonathan Reed? He is more than a police officer to Barnstable.

“He is our hero,” she said. “Jonathan Reed is one of the reasons my family is together today.”

Barnstable lives with her longtime boyfriend, Juan Mata-Morales, and their 3-year-old daughter, Maddisyn. They are a family thriving – due in large part to Deputy Reed.

On Jan. 10, 2012, Reed arrived at Barnstable’s mobile home and took away the toddler and an older son who lived with the couple then. Back then, the house had no heat, no running water. There were holes in the walls, holes in the floor.

The family kept water in the bathtub to flush the toilet, wore winter coats indoors and had rigged exposed wires to a generator.

Reed made a decision that night, just like he made a decision Tuesday when the dog attacked him. His decision then was that this family mattered. He would not turn his back on people who needed him.

Reed told Barnstable that he had to call Social Services officials, that the kids had to be taken away, because the home was not fit for children to live in such bitter cold.

snip

Reed is “a great man,” he said. “He is my friend.”

snip of more cop worshiping propaganda

NorthCarolinaLiberty
03-07-2014, 08:10 PM
A damage control story, about the "hero" deputy who just "HAD" to shoot a dog ...

http://www.heraldonline.com/2014/03/07/5749795/family-helped-by-york-county-deputy.html#storylink=cpy

Disgusting.

Anti Federalist
03-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Reed made a decision that night, just like he made a decision Tuesday when the dog attacked him. His decision then was that this family mattered. He would not turn his back on people who needed him.

Reed told Barnstable that he had to call Social Services officials, that the kids had to be taken away, because the home was not fit for children to live in such bitter cold.

Oh, dear, my head...it seems to have exploded.

Anti Federalist
03-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Disgusting.

Copsuckers.

Henry Rogue
03-07-2014, 10:34 PM
A cop in OK shot himself shooting at a dog the other day . At least in this story the dog had supposedly attacked others, and was attacking the deputy who shot himself -- however, it shows that even with a truly aggressive dog, shooting may not always be the best option -- but it's the only one they are taught to use.

http://www.newson6.com/story/24893838/deputy-accidentally-shoots-self-as-dog-attacks-him-in-spencerLOL, self fratricide. I guess he won't get the darwin award since he is still alive.

phill4paul
03-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Copsuckers.

So many who get enraged when pets die – but maybe not so much when officers are potentially mauled or maimed

I'd like to see some statistics.

Anti Federalist
03-07-2014, 10:59 PM
I'd like to see some statistics.

IIRC there has not ever been a single case of a cop getting killed by a dog attack.

phill4paul
03-07-2014, 11:04 PM
IIRC there has not ever been a single case of a cop getting killed by a dog attack.

Killed? No. Mauled..well there is this....

A pitbull owner who was jailed after his dog mauled five police officers saw his name cleared on appeal after judges heard it was the police who let the dog out in the first place.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10530605/Pitbull-owner-who-was-jailed-after-dog-mauled-five-police-officers-has-name-cleared-because-police-let-dog-out.html

Of course that is Britain so it is rather there...not here.

Cissy
03-12-2014, 11:36 PM

http://cdn.theatlanticcities.com/img/upload/2013/10/24/Petsadviser.png