PDA

View Full Version : Why pot growers in California are dreading marijuana legalization

klamath
03-06-2014, 08:34 PM
In Northern California, Mendocino, Humboldt and Trinity Counties comprise what is known as the “Emerald Triangle.” This rural, sparsely populated region is the largest marijuana-producing region in the U.S.

Thousands of farmers earn hearty profits plying their trade in the Emerald Triangle. Before medicinal marijuana was legalized in certain states, growers set their own prices, which allowed them to recoup the heavy expenditures required for a large-scale growing operation.

According to journalist Emily Brady, who spent a year researching the Emerald Triangle, “A friend of mine made $6,000 a pound in the early ‘90s and now earns about $1,200 a pound. If the black market that Humboldt relies upon disappears, there is speculation that pot could go as low as $500 a pound.”

Legalizing marijuana would obviously necessitate subsidies to keep farms like the ones in California operational. For many, however, the do-it-yourself aesthetic of marijuana growing was what drew them to the profession in the first place. Involving the government would fundamentally alter the lifestyle that the Emerald Triangle’s pot farmers enjoy.

http://thelamron.com/2014/03/06/pot-growers-california-dreading-marijuana-legalization/

Good GOD! Already talking subsidies. "The lifestyle they enjoy" ..... Yeaw All cash not taxable income and below the poverty line so they can be on government aid in the off season. It is about time they earned a free market wage! Come on combines.

Dr.3D
03-06-2014, 08:55 PM
People should be able to grow it in their back yard.

klamath
03-06-2014, 09:04 PM
People should be able to grow it in their back yard. they do here unless the stench bothers the neighbors too much then they have to move it.

Dr.3D
03-06-2014, 09:09 PM
they do here unless the stench bothers the neighbors too much then they have to move it.
Hummm... somebody should start a skunk farm and then the neighbors could get used to it.

TomKat
03-06-2014, 09:15 PM
I almost feel sorry for the people that say that legalization would be terrible for the nation because they would lose money. Just like I feel sorry for the FED or the govt in general!!

kcchiefs6465
03-06-2014, 11:45 PM
I almost feel sorry for the people that say that legalization would be terrible for the nation because they would lose money. Just like I feel sorry for the FED or the govt in general!!
First, they aren't going to legalize it. Ever. They are going to regulate it, to tax it, and to arrest people for violating their petty and senseless bureaucratic decrees. In Colorado, for example, over six plants and under thirty is a fine of up to $100,000 and a couple years in jail. No more than three plants can be "mature" at any given time. What is the purpose of this, one may wonder? Well, it keeps the price artificially high, for one, it is about control, for two, and for three, some half-retard paper pusher who doesn't know a damn thing about botany or growing marijuana had a bright-good-idea. And with that, many a people are fined, their property stolen, or their homes/businesses raided to count plants. On top of all that, they enact draconian per se DUI laws with absurdly low thresholds for being considered intoxicated. Why? Because it is a business. Slave labor is hard to come by, otherwise.

If cannabis were ever truly legalized, there would be more than enough profit for private businessmen to wish to endeavor in it. The sky is the limit with regards to feminized seeds, gourmet foods, and purified extracts. The infinite capacity to manipulate strains for various ailments etc. would always create demand. And as well, there are many aspects such as delivery services, rolling services, smoking supplies, and more. Even educational seminars to teach the average person the basics of horticulture and how to grow sinsemilla. Bud doctors who would come for a fee to diagnose and treat, if possible, plants that were big enough to warrant the expense. T-shirts and apparel, limo services, bus tours, smoking cafes, and more.

But alas, they are fascists. They will imprison the sick, destroy or flat out steal the property of honest men, and brag about it. They will take pictures of their crimes and the newspapers will post the stories slanted positively. The people will cheer. What's even worse, possibly, is that somehow the brain-dead sheep will still insultingly label this capitalism and rally against it. And of course, worthless ticks of society will continue to earn well above 200% the median income, to act criminally and violate rights. And don't get me started on the SCOTUS, the worthless fucks.

Occam's Banana
03-07-2014, 03:55 AM
Legalizing marijuana would obviously necessitate subsidies to keep farms like the ones in California operational.

I know statements like this are just dime-a-dozen, par-for-course instances of verbal flatulence by clueless idiots and/or agenda-pushing manipulators, but it never fails to grind my gears when some jackass blithely brays about how "necessary" it is to rob & plunder people in order to keep some group "operational" in the manner to which it is accustomed ...

belian78
03-07-2014, 07:11 AM
First, they aren't going to legalize it. Ever. They are going to regulate it, to tax it, and to arrest people for violating their petty and senseless bureaucratic decrees. In Colorado, for example, over six plants and under thirty is a fine of up to $100,000 and a couple years in jail. No more than three plants can be "mature" at any given time. What is the purpose of this, one may wonder? Well, it keeps the price artificially high, for one, it is about control, for two, and for three, some half-retard paper pusher who doesn't know a damn thing about botany or growing marijuana had a bright-good-idea. And with that, many a people are fined, their property stolen, or their homes/businesses raided to count plants. On top of all that, they enact draconian per se DUI laws with absurdly low thresholds for being considered intoxicated. Why? Because it is a business. Slave labor is hard to come by, otherwise.

If cannabis were ever truly legalized, there would be more than enough profit for private businessmen to wish to endeavor in it. The sky is the limit with regards to feminized seeds, gourmet foods, and purified extracts. The infinite capacity to manipulate strains for various ailments etc. would always create demand. And as well, there are many aspects such as delivery services, rolling services, smoking supplies, and more. Even educational seminars to teach the average person the basics of horticulture and how to grow sinsemilla. Bud doctors who would come for a fee to diagnose and treat, if possible, plants that were big enough to warrant the expense. T-shirts and apparel, limo services, bus tours, smoking cafes, and more.

But alas, they are fascists. They will imprison the sick, destroy or flat out steal the property of honest men, and brag about it. They will take pictures of their crimes and the newspapers will post the stories slanted positively. The people will cheer. What's even worse, possibly, is that somehow the brain-dead sheep will still insultingly label this capitalism and rally against it. And of course, worthless ticks of society will continue to earn well above 200% the median income, to act criminally and violate rights. And don't get me started on the SCOTUS, the worthless fucks.
/standing ovation

luctor-et-emergo
03-07-2014, 08:00 AM

Well spoken.

Working Poor
03-07-2014, 08:48 AM

I feel sorry for the people who want it legal and will loose privacy if they buy the legal product.