PDA

View Full Version : Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'

aGameOfThrones
03-06-2014, 04:20 PM
ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - Every Wednesday afternoon, Doug Varrieur steps into his backyard in the Florida Keys, aims his .380 caliber Smith & Wesson pistol and fires shots that ricochet through city halls around the state.

Varrieur, 57, discovered a little-noticed part of Florida law which prohibits local governments from restricting gun rights in any way, and in December he set up a personal gun range on his property in a residential subdivision.

Neighbors were outraged by the live gunfire, but their surprise was nothing compared to that of municipal leaders, who were shocked to realize there was nothing they could do about it.

"The rational gun owners I speak to realize this is lunacy," said Michael Ryan, the mayor of Sunrise, in southeast Florida.

Ryan, a lawyer by trade, is one of numerous city and county leaders now trying to regain some control over recreational gunfire in their communities, particularly in dense urban zones.

"You can slice and dice it anyway you want, but there's an accident waiting to happen," said Rick Ramsay, the Sheriff of Monroe County, where Varrieur's gun range is located.

Ramsay and Ryan point to the death of 69-year-old Bruce Fleming in Deltona near Orlando on Christmas morning. Fleming was struck apparently by accident by a shotgun blast from a neighbor's property. The shooting remains under investigation.

Varrieur, an author of diet books, set up his shooting target on December 26 after he and his wife bought his-and-her pistols for Christmas, and baulked at the 70-mile round trip to the nearest commercial gun range to practice shooting.

Under Florida Statute 790, gun control is solely under state, not local, jurisdiction. The only state restriction on recreational shooting on private residential property is that the bullets cannot fly over a paved public road or an occupied dwelling, and that shots cannot be "reckless or negligent."

Legislators in 2011 put teeth into the law by imposing a $5,000 fine and authorizing the governor to remove from office any local government official who attempts to restrict gun use.

Although nothing in the state law specifically required him to try to block errant bullets, Varrieur mounted his target on a 7 X 7-foot backstop which he installed against a 12-foot-tall shed. When he fires his weapon, Varrieur is shooting in the direction of a canal used by boaters to reach open water.

Varrieur said he stations his wife and father on the edge of the canal to warn him if a boat is coming. And he said he informs the sheriff's department of when he will be shooting.

"My passion is to make sure they are safe, safe, safe," Varrieur said.

After seeing a news account about the controversy in the Keys over Varrieur's gun range, mayor Ryan wrote in February to Governor Rick Scott asking him to explicitly promise not to exercise his authority to remove from office any local public official who imposes reasonable restrictions on target shooting in residential neighborhoods.

The Broward lawsuit complains that the law is unconstitutional because it violates the separation of powers by giving the governor the ability to remove local officials from office. Under current law, the governor is only allowed to suspend local officials.

"The irony is if someone wants to put in an addition to their home or an in-ground pool, they have to come through code enforcement and zoning. Here we can't say anything," Ryan said.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-mayor-fights-backyard-gun-ranges-gunshine-state-160945847--sector.html

phill4paul
03-06-2014, 04:24 PM
70 miles to a gun range. I wonder what kind of ponderous restrictions they have that would be the cause of that? Seems like a business opportunity to me.

Keith and stuff
03-06-2014, 04:27 PM
70 miles to a gun range. I wonder what kind of ponderous restrictions they have that would be the cause of that? Seems like a business opportunity to me.

Insanity. There is a great range where I live. I don't even have to leave the municipality.

kathy88
03-06-2014, 04:55 PM
My back yard is my range.

Kelly.
03-06-2014, 05:00 PM
i can think of 4 gun ranges in my "subdivision", regardless of what the law says :D

phill4paul
03-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Yup.

i can think of 4 gun ranges in my "subdivision", regardless of what the law says :D

And yup.

Danke
03-06-2014, 05:04 PM

I'm sure your family (and community) is well aware of this fact.

03-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Everybody here shoots in their backyard. I hear shots almost every day, it's not a big deal. But not the people who live in town like this guy. That's just stupid and asking for trouble. Just because you have the right to do something stupid doesn't mean you should.

catfeathers
03-06-2014, 05:07 PM

Here too, the guys stand next to the house, maybe 20 feet from the road and shoot at a target they set up near the back of our property. Nothing else back there but weeds, a creek and a steep hillside. I don't usually join them, the last time I did I nearly took the knuckle off my thumb with my son's Glock. I had been shooting my husband's Hi Point and got into a bad habit of holding it the wrong way. I want a revolver and I might shoot more.

Mini-Me
03-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Unless you guys shoot inside the house, you're all just a bunch of pansies. ;)