PDA

View Full Version : All our criticism of police is wrong (Sarcasm)

Christian Liberty
03-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Someone posted this on TOL in response to something I said:

So you wouldn't call them, right? Say if you were locked upstairs and they didn't realize there was someone in the home. It would make sense that you would allow them to ransack the place, find you, do whatever they are inclined to do rather than calling for the assistance of the cops. Right? Show em how it's done, Superman.

Yes, because this extreme situation OBVIOUSLY discredits everything bad we say about police around here. How dare we criticize the heroes who put their lives on the line arresting victimless "criminals" day in and day out because something like this just might happen and we might find a rare situation where a cop might (no guarantee) be useful:rolleyes:

fisharmor
03-06-2014, 04:11 PM
You mean like at Virginia Tech, where they hung out outside the building and waited for Cho to get tired off it?

Facts are against that commenter's notions... they don't go in guns blazing.

Unless they think you have a joint, that is.

Christian Liberty
03-06-2014, 04:15 PM
You mean like at Virginia Tech, where they hung out outside the building and waited for Cho to get tired off it?

Facts are against that commenter's notions... they don't go in guns blazing.

Unless they think you have a joint, that is.

Yeah, I know. The ignorance of most people is astounding.

In that extreme situation (ie. life or death, assuming I wasn't sufficiently armed to deal with them myself) I'd probably call 9-1-1. That extreme situation does NOT excuse most of the rest of what cops do. And even in that extreme situation, I know I'm far from guaranteed to get any help.

GunnyFreedom
03-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Yes, because this extreme situation OBVIOUSLY discredits everything bad we say about police around here. How dare we criticize the heroes who put their lives on the line arresting victimless "criminals" day in and day out because something like this just might happen and we might find a rare situation where a cop might (no guarantee) be useful:rolleyes:

In that particular situation, I would probably find my .40 a lot more useful than any cop.

Christian Liberty
03-06-2014, 04:18 PM
In that particular situation, I would probably find my .40 a lot more useful than any cop.

No doubt;)

Mini-Me
03-06-2014, 05:41 PM

If you ever might need any assistance defending yourself or your property, you have no grounds to complain about absolute authority and immunity, no accountability, a license to kill, and a gang in blue ready to corroborate any lie and ruin anyone who doesn't. I wonder if he'd agree to spelling it out like that.

Yeah, I know. The ignorance of most people is astounding.

In that extreme situation (ie. life or death, assuming I wasn't sufficiently armed to deal with them myself) I'd probably call 9-1-1. That extreme situation does NOT excuse most of the rest of what cops do. And even in that extreme situation, I know I'm far from guaranteed to get any help.

Not to mention, enormous police departments accountable only to the city who go out looking for trouble aren't exactly the same as an elected sheriff's office responding to calls and investigating crimes.

Anti Federalist
03-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Given that it is becoming more and more common for cops to show up on a scene like that and just blast everything in sight, you bet your ass, I'm not calling those hut hutting assholes.

aGameOfThrones
03-06-2014, 05:52 PM
So you wouldn't call them, right? Say if you were locked upstairs and they didn't realize there was someone in the home. It would make sense that you would allow them to ransack the place, find you, do whatever they are inclined to do rather than calling for the assistance of the cops. Right? Show em how it's done, Superman.

Here is your assistance....

The two other women in the house, Carrolyn Warren and Joan Taliaferro, heard Douglas' screams and called the police. Within 3 minutes four squad cars were dispatched to the house, but the call was radioed out as a "Code 2," a lower priority call than the "Code 1" usually used for crimes in progress.

Warren and Taliaferro crawled out a window onto an adjoining roof and waited for the police to show up. When the police arrived, they knocked on the front door, received no response, and just left.

The two women crawled back in through the window and called the police AGAIN. The call was logged as "investigate the trouble," but no officers were dispatched.

The men then kidnapped all three women. They forced the women at knifepoint to go to Kent's apartment where "...For the next fourteen hours the women were held captive, raped, robbed, beaten, forced to commit sexual acts upon each other, and made to submit to the sexual demands of Kent and Morse." (Id.)

Christian Liberty
03-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Given that it is becoming more and more common for cops to show up on a scene like that and just blast everything in sight, you bet your ass, I'm not calling those hut hutting assholes.

I hear you, its a gamble, yet another reason I don't like them. Maybe I don't dislike them enough? That's certainly more likely than the inverse.

Christian Liberty
03-07-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm gonna link this thread on TOL, so any more examples that disprove this craziness would be great. Thanks to agameofthrones for linking one.

kcchiefs6465
03-07-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm gonna link this thread on TOL, so any more examples that disprove this craziness would be great. Thanks to agameofthrones for linking one.
At Columbine High School they waited forty five minutes after the shooting stopped (the gunmen shot themselves) to enter. Many bled to death as a result.

They shoot countless people yearly and refuse to allow friends/relatives to administer aid. Just recently a cop shot a child as he was holding a Wii controller. She then pointed her pistol at the kid's sister who was trying to comfort/administer aid.

Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981) is an oft-quoted[2] District of Columbia Court of Appeals case that held police do not have a duty to provide police services to individuals, even if a dispatcher promises help to be on the way, except when police develop a special duty to particular individuals.

In the early morning hours of Sunday, March 16, 1975, Carolyn Warren and Joan Taliaferro, who shared a room on the third floor of their rooming house at 1112 Lamont Street Northwest in the District of Columbia, and Miriam Douglas, who shared a room on the second floor with her four-year-old daughter, were asleep. The women were awakened by the sound of the back door being broken down by two men later identified as Marvin Kent and James Morse. The men entered Douglas' second floor room, where Kent forced Douglas to perform oral sex on him and Morse raped her.

Warren and Taliaferro heard Douglas' screams from the floor below. Warren telephoned the police, told the officer on duty that the house was being burglarized, and requested immediate assistance. The department employee told her to remain quiet and assured her that police assistance would be dispatched promptly.

Warren's call was received at Metropolitan Police Department Headquarters at 0623 hours, and was recorded as a burglary-in-progress. At 0626, a call was dispatched to officers on the street as a "Code 2" assignment, although calls of a crime in progress should be given priority and designated as "Code 3." Four police cruisers responded to the broadcast; three to the Lamont Street address and one to another address to investigate a possible suspect.

Meanwhile, Warren and Taliaferro crawled from their window onto an adjoining roof and waited for the police to arrive. While there, they observed one policeman drive through the alley behind their house and proceed to the front of the residence without stopping, leaning out the window, or getting out of the car to check the back entrance of the house. A second officer apparently knocked on the door in front of the residence, but left when he received no answer. The three officers departed the scene at 0633, five minutes after they arrived.

Warren and Taliaferro crawled back inside their room. They again heard Douglas' continuing screams; again called the police; told the officer that the intruders had entered the home, and requested immediate assistance. Once again, a police officer assured them that help was on the way. This second call was received at 0642 and recorded merely as "investigate the trouble;" it was never dispatched to any police officers.

Believing the police might be in the house, Warren and Taliaferro called down to Douglas, thereby alerting Kent to their presence. At knife point, Kent and Morse then forced all three women to accompany them to Kent's apartment. For the next fourteen hours the captive women were raped, robbed, beaten, forced to commit sexual acts upon one another, and made to submit to the sexual demands of Kent and Morse.

And many more. The evidence is clear that one's defense, no matter how much you are told otherwise, rests upon the individual. As the saying goes, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Spikender
03-07-2014, 09:30 AM
What I find most interesting is the implication that a fat ass cop with doughnut crumbs caught in his teeth is the Superman you're looking for in this situation.

That person will forever be a victim with his tongue stuck on the gum that's stuck on the bottom of a police boot.

PaulConventionWV
03-07-2014, 09:44 AM

If I'm armed, I WILL show them how it's done... and it won't take a few minutes when seconds count.

pcosmar
03-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Or my axe.

and why would I be locked upstairs in my own home?

Henry Rogue
03-07-2014, 09:49 AM
If you have to rely on cops for your safety, you are already screwed.

Madison320
03-07-2014, 10:56 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the root cause of the problem lie with the politicians, not the police. By creating laws that make voluntary actions illegal, they create a system where the police are our enemies.

pcosmar
03-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the root cause of the problem lie with the politicians, not the police. By creating laws that make voluntary actions illegal, they create a system where the police are our enemies.

The problem is Authoritarianism.

Without it Police (Control Enforcers) would simply not exist.

DamianTV
03-07-2014, 11:50 AM
If you have to rely on cops for your safety, you are already screwed.

Not just cops, but anyone with a Monopoly on Violence.

IBleedNavyAndOrange
03-07-2014, 12:11 PM
What is the purpose of calling the police? Is it because criminals respect the police and the law so much they'll stop? Or is it because they know the responders will have firearms?

Why call for a middle man?

Police have no duty to protect anyone.

Christian Liberty
03-07-2014, 12:22 PM
What is the purpose of calling the police? Is it because criminals respect the police and the law so much they'll stop? Or is it because they know the responders will have firearms?

Why call for a middle man?

Police have no duty to protect anyone.

Well, I don't own a gun ATM. I'd like to some day. Stuck in NYS and currently a college student without... you know... money.

Anti Federalist
03-07-2014, 01:35 PM

Meh, root causes.

The history of police in America starts with slave patrollers.

200 years later, it's about the same.

The construct, the very nature of "police", is not compatable with a free society.

They do these things not because a politician wrote a law.

They do these things to us, because they can, because they are a protected caste, perceived by themselves and the law, to be better than us.

Anti Federalist
03-07-2014, 01:35 PM
//// damn dupes ////

Christian Liberty
03-07-2014, 11:04 PM
//// damn dupes ////

I hope you're talking about the person I quote in the OP, and not about me?;)