PDA

View Full Version : I’m a cop, just like you guys: The Blue code of silence did not work for drunk driving cop

aGameOfThrones
03-05-2014, 10:23 PM
As reported by WSVN 7 News, after Coriat, a 14-year veteran of the Miami-Dade Police Department, was pulled over he flashed his badge and ID to the FHP trooper and denied being drunk. But according to the FHP report, the trooper detected a “strong odor of alcohol” from Coriat’s breath. The Miami-Dade police officer tried to use his shared law enforcement position with the trooper and asked that he look the other way.

After failing a field sobriety test, the dashcam video captured an exchange between the trooper and Coriat, who appears uncooperative. WFOR CBS Miami reported that Coriat begged for a break once the handcuffs emerged. Coriat says, “I’m a cop, just like you guys.” The trooper says, “I understand that. But you’re doing something that’s illegal.” Coriat responds: “No, I’m not…(unintelligible).” Then Coriat threatens, “It’s not gonna be good for you. Listen to me…” Then the trooper questions him, “What’s not gonna be good for me?”

Eventually the trooper cuffs Coriat after telling him, “You say you're a cop? Are you saying you're a police officer?...Then you understand how the job is. Turn around, face the vehicle."

In handcuffs in the back of the FHP vehicle Coriat would not stop referencing the ‘blue code of silence’ saying, “I'm Metro, bro. I'm Metro. Come on. Just [inaudible] me out, man. We're good. I'm Metro. We're all cops, man. Come on, I'm Metro. Please...please.” Office Corait continues asking the trooper, “Why are you doing this to me?” To which the trooper replies, "Sir, I haven't done anything to you, sir. You did this to yourself. I didn't tell you to go out and drink and then drive." On the drive in the troopers’ car, Coriat is heard complaining about the handcuffs saying, “It hurts, it hurts.”

At around 7:30 a.m., Coriat was transferred to the Broward County jail. The arrested police officer appeals to the trooper one last time telling him that if the trooper was drunk, Coriat would let him go. The trooper said, "You wouldn't take me to jail?" "No, I would have let you go," Coriat said. Then the trooper finally said, "No, I'm sorry, that doesn't work that way." He was apparently telling the truth because according to CBS Miami, the FHP report notes that Coriat told the trooper that “he has stopped and let people go in the past that were driving under the influence.”

At some point after he refused a breathalyzer test, Coriat became sick, vomited, and fell asleep in it. The Miami-Dade Police Department would not comment but said that officer Coriat is now relieved of duty with pay.

Video on site

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/drunk-off-duty-police-officer-attempts-to-get-arresting-trooper-to-let-him-off-214638819.html

fisharmor
03-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Get drunk enough to be a potential threat to people's safety on the road? Spend the night in jail.

Actually intentionally murder someone? Go home and start your paid vacation.

Mani
03-05-2014, 10:54 PM
I saw this really interesting comment from the article.

It's a cop who's talking about being real proud that he didn't let another cop from another state get off without speeding. He's proud about being a bully.

So you have 1 cop trying to use the Blue code of silence and another cop bullying the other into signing his paperwork. It's not a very dramatic story in terms of just a speeding ticket, but it's so interesting to see the mindset of these guys and their so proud of their authority and ability to ENFORCE the law. Also notice he's mentioning size and height, like they are in H.S.

PJ: I am on the 'job' and it hurts when you have to stroke a brother Officer, but sometimes it has to be done and this case the Trooper without a doubt made the right call. I recall a time quite a few years a go when I was in an unmarked at 3am and doing 60mph in a 50mph in the middle of 3 lanes when someone flew by me in the left lane. I jumped behind him, paced him for just under a 1/2 mile then lite him up. He immediately pulles over and stops as if he is making the stop (off set). I get on the bull horn and tell him to straighten out his vehicle so he has already told me he is probably an Officer. I ran the 'out of state' tag and marked my location. No wants on vehicle. I approach, and notice two sweet little girls aged about 6 and 8 sound asleep on the back seat, no seat belts on. Next I notice the Pax is sound asleep leaning up against the door again no seat belt on and I ask the driver for his licence/Registration and he attempts to give me his SERGEANT CRED's from another state. I ask again for lic/reg and again he badges me and a 3rd time I have to ask and he replies 'well my license is my back pocket but my reg is in glove box with my weapon' so I looked at him and said, ok well get it out then. He does and I return to run the license knowing it will all come back NEG for wants so I write him a summons for doing 64 in 50, pre-payable.

Now when I ask him to sign he pulls attitude with me and in the process wakes his wife and the 2 sweet little girls in the back seat. Thats when I have him step out. He had atleast 6in height on me and probably a good 50lbs too so I brought him to the back of his car and I leaned up against his car, hooked my boot to his bumper and actually folded my arms across my chest as I spoke these words to him: "Sir, You have the right to refuse to sign that summons and if you refuse to do so I will handcuff you so fast your you will forget what you had for dinner, then I will bring you to Magistrate but I wont bring you to the Magistrate that is 5 minutes from here, I will bring to the one clear across the County and meanwhile your family will sit here on the side of I95 only 4 miles from the MD line and have no idea where your going or what to do AND I am gonna rip up this summons for 64 in 50 in write you for 83 in 50 which is what I paced you at which makes this Reckless Driving and you will have to come to court and you will have to hire a lawyer and Sir, in this County, you WILL go to jail for every 1 mph over 20, so thats 13 days in jail plus fines and oh I am guessing you will probably lose your job. Now, it's your choice, sign my summons thats pre payable and get on out of VA or be prepared to spend about 2 weeks here getting free meals 3 times a day" He signed my summons but continued to run his mouth and was saying how he was gonna tell everyone in his agency how backwards we all are down here. I said to him that's fine you tell everyone you know how I gave you this speeding ticket BUT you be sure to tell them the truth that you 1st passed me in unmarked cruiser likeyou didnt know what it was, 2nd you were doing 83 in a 50 3rd neither you daugghters or your wife wore seatbelts and 4th had you crashed, there wouldnt be enough of y'all left to fit into a tomato can and 5th and most importantly I kept you out of jail tonight and kept you in uniform abit longer to do your job.

He at this point actually thanked me and got back into his car, then i asked him if I could see that fine looking radar detector on his dash, he takes off and hands it to me and I dropped it, opppps. I said hey its ok because radar detectors are ILLEGAL in VA. Have a ice morning

aGameOfThrones
03-05-2014, 11:03 PM

It's a cop who's talking about being real proud that he didn't let another cop from another state get off without speeding. He's proud about being a bully.

So you have 1 cop trying to use the Blue code of silence and another cop bullying the other into signing his paperwork. It's not a very dramatic story in terms of just a speeding ticket, but it's so interesting to see the mindset of these guys and their so proud of their authority and ability to ENFORCE the law. Also notice he's mentioning size and height, like they are in H.S.

PJ: I am on the 'job' and it hurts when you have to stroke a brother Officer, but sometimes it has to be done and this case the Trooper without a doubt made the right call. I recall a time quite a few years a go when I was in an unmarked at 3am and doing 60mph in a 50mph in the middle of 3 lanes when someone flew by me in the left lane. I jumped behind him, paced him for just under a 1/2 mile then lite him up. He immediately pulles over and stops as if he is making the stop (off set). I get on the bull horn and tell him to straighten out his vehicle so he has already told me he is probably an Officer. I ran the 'out of state' tag and marked my location. No wants on vehicle. I approach, and notice two sweet little girls aged about 6 and 8 sound asleep on the back seat, no seat belts on. Next I notice the Pax is sound asleep leaning up against the door again no seat belt on and I ask the driver for his licence/Registration and he attempts to give me his SERGEANT CRED's from another state. I ask again for lic/reg and again he badges me and a 3rd time I have to ask and he replies 'well my license is my back pocket but my reg is in glove box with my weapon' so I looked at him and said, ok well get it out then. He does and I return to run the license knowing it will all come back NEG for wants so I write him a summons for doing 64 in 50, pre-payable.

Now when I ask him to sign he pulls attitude with me and in the process wakes his wife and the 2 sweet little girls in the back seat. Thats when I have him step out. He had atleast 6in height on me and probably a good 50lbs too so I brought him to the back of his car and I leaned up against his car, hooked my boot to his bumper and actually folded my arms across my chest as I spoke these words to him: "Sir, You have the right to refuse to sign that summons and if you refuse to do so I will handcuff you so fast your you will forget what you had for dinner, then I will bring you to Magistrate but I wont bring you to the Magistrate that is 5 minutes from here, I will bring to the one clear across the County and meanwhile your family will sit here on the side of I95 only 4 miles from the MD line and have no idea where your going or what to do AND I am gonna rip up this summons for 64 in 50 in write you for 83 in 50 which is what I paced you at which makes this Reckless Driving and you will have to come to court and you will have to hire a lawyer and Sir, in this County, you WILL go to jail for every 1 mph over 20, so thats 13 days in jail plus fines and oh I am guessing you will probably lose your job. Now, it's your choice, sign my summons thats pre payable and get on out of VA or be prepared to spend about 2 weeks here getting free meals 3 times a day" He signed my summons but continued to run his mouth and was saying how he was gonna tell everyone in his agency how backwards we all are down here. I said to him that's fine you tell everyone you know how I gave you this speeding ticket BUT you be sure to tell them the truth that you 1st passed me in unmarked cruiser likeyou didnt know what it was, 2nd you were doing 83 in a 50 3rd neither you daugghters or your wife wore seatbelts and 4th had you crashed, there wouldnt be enough of y'all left to fit into a tomato can and 5th and most importantly I kept you out of jail tonight and kept you in uniform abit longer to do your job.

He at this point actually thanked me and got back into his car, then i asked him if I could see that fine looking radar detector on his dash, he takes off and hands it to me and I dropped it, opppps. I said hey its ok because radar detectors are ILLEGAL in VA. Have a ice morning

sign under duress

Schifference
03-05-2014, 11:08 PM
I think these stories will make headlines as propaganda to counter all the bad publicity cops get for their abuse. Throw a few crumbs to the mundanes and make them feel like we are all treated the same.

Mani
03-05-2014, 11:13 PM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check this guy out:

Sean: Being an ex cop 17 years , i think the troop could have been a little more human, take him home call a cab, and wait till he gets in it. Civilans get a big fine, possibly lose thier license for a year. This man has just lost a professional job after 14 years. Believe me its not just black and white out there, there is a lot of grey area, and yes cops drink, not all and some more than others, and its because what we see day in and day out fighting the domestic war at home, things you may never see in a lifetime. The troop could have been a little more lenient

NO FUCKING way. Did that Ex-cop just say, the FHP should have called him a taxi and called it a night???

OMG, he will lose his job, and that poor Miami Dade cop is fighting the DOMESTIC WAR at home????? DID HE FUCKING JUST SAY THAT???

HOLY SHIT. WAR ON US.

Anti Federalist
03-05-2014, 11:21 PM
TIL cops can't spell for shit.

Mani
03-05-2014, 11:23 PM
TIL cops can't spell for shit.

Give them a break. They are busy drinking from the stress from FIGHTING the DOMESTIC WAR.

Right from the words of a cop. Couldn't have been any fucking more clear.

Anti Federalist
03-05-2014, 11:27 PM
War on us is right Mani, war on fucking us.

Philhelm
03-06-2014, 12:27 AM
War on us is right Mani, war on fucking us.

What's funny is how fucked the pigs will be if the sleeping dragon awakens. When the pigs turn to look to their masters for help, it will be too late.

Mini-Me
03-06-2014, 12:45 AM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check this guy out:

Sean: Being an ex cop 17 years , i think the troop could have been a little more human, take him home call a cab, and wait till he gets in it. Civilans get a big fine, possibly lose thier license for a year. This man has just lost a professional job after 14 years. Believe me its not just black and white out there, there is a lot of grey area, and yes cops drink, not all and some more than others, and its because what we see day in and day out fighting the domestic war at home, things you may never see in a lifetime. The troop could have been a little more lenient

NO FUCKING way. Did that Ex-cop just say, the FHP should have called him a taxi and called it a night???

OMG, he will lose his job, and that poor Miami Dade cop is fighting the DOMESTIC WAR at home????? DID HE FUCKING JUST SAY THAT???

HOLY SHIT. WAR ON US.

That comment is...amazing. It's so bad it's good. I also think he just broke the first rule of War Club: You do not talk about War Club.

Spikender
03-06-2014, 01:45 AM

What a bitch. Radar detectors aren't illegal in Virginia.

After all, the police have them and they're citizens too.

Weston White
03-06-2014, 02:58 AM
This man has just lost a professional job after 14 years.

Not to worry, I have it on good authority that the Devil Dogs will gladly snatch him up and then he can start a brand new professional job overseas protecting the poppy crops for Mr. Al-Qaeda, which will eventually be shipped back to America after manufacturing so as to advance this supposed domestic war and as a consequence further empower his blue-code brothers and sisters back home.

Red Green
03-06-2014, 09:34 AM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check this guy out:

HOLY SHIT. WAR ON US.

I have one (only 1) friend that is a cop, and he was complaining that the new police chief was firing cops over DUI convictions. I told him "dude, do you know how many people who get a DUI from cops end up losing their jobs? People who need to pass a security clearance, drive company vehicles, etc? A lot of people you guys bust for DUI end up losing their jobs, so suck it up"

These guys only see one side of the argument and it's real convenient for them to claim "hey, I don't make the laws, I just enforce them" when it suits them. So the answer to piggy here who might lose his job due to a DUI is "don't like the laws, then change them". Buh-bye piggie!

Christian Liberty
03-06-2014, 09:48 AM
I have one (only 1) friend that is a cop,

I'm quite anti-cop, but there are people here who would judge you just by the fact that you say this. Keep this in mind.

and he was complaining that the new police chief was firing cops over DUI convictions. I told him "dude, do you know how many people who get a DUI from cops end up losing their jobs? People who need to pass a security clearance, drive company vehicles, etc? A lot of people you guys bust for DUI end up losing their jobs, so suck it up"

These guys only see one side of the argument and it's real convenient for them to claim "hey, I don't make the laws, I just enforce them" when it suits them. So the answer to piggy here who might lose his job due to a DUI is "don't like the laws, then change them". Buh-bye piggie!

Yes, they chose to take the job, that's what it is.

Red Green
03-06-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm quite anti-cop, but there are people here who would judge you just by the fact that you say this. Keep this in mind.

He seems like a decent enough guy, but I don't understand his choice of occupations. And to be clear, he's not a close friend. And he's close to retirement, so he'll be an ex-cop soon. And he's an RP fan.

Christian Liberty
03-06-2014, 10:20 AM
He seems like a decent enough guy, but I don't understand his choice of occupations. And to be clear, he's not a close friend. And he's close to retirement, so he'll be an ex-cop soon. And he's an RP fan.

Yeah, the one I know is a decent guy too. I've been criticized by a couple people for even saying that. I don't get how a decent person could be a cop either, but some do. I guess the same reason a lot of decent people support them, they don't understand that nearly everything the cops do is inherently aggressive.

John F Kennedy III
03-06-2014, 11:16 AM
What's funny is how fucked the pigs will be if the sleeping dragon awakens. When the pigs turn to look to their masters for help, it will be too late.

I WANT ME SOME DRAGON ROASTED BACON!

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34600000/got-game-of-thrones-34680300-972-475.jpg

kcchiefs6465
03-06-2014, 01:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LwQBBjx.jpg?1