PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Approves Sweeping E-Cigarette Restrictions

DamianTV
03-04-2014, 04:45 PM
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-los-angeles-ecigarettes-ban-20140304,0,4359853.story

The Los Angeles City Council on Tuesday approved sweeping new regulations that would treat e-cigarettes like conventional cigarettes, after one of the most personal debates to be heard on the council floor in years.

On a 14-0 vote, lawmakers outlawed "vaping" -- the practice of inhaling the vapors produced by e-cigarettes -- in most work sites and many public places, including parks and certain beaches.

Lawmakers voted to continue allowing e-cigarette use in so-called vaping lounges, where patrons can try the various e-juices that are loaded into the battery-powered devices. And they narrowly defeated a push by the e-cigarette industry to let the practice continue in 21-and-over establishments, such as bars and nightclubs.

(more on link)

Philhelm
03-04-2014, 05:25 PM
The comments...what a bunch of gutless cunts.

DamianTV
03-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Be afrad of Terrorists, Brown People, and anything containing Nicotine.

Next Target: Butter, Coffee, Red Meat, and Salt. Sugar has already had strict regulations placed on it.

Anti Federalist
03-04-2014, 05:53 PM

Not a day in AmeriKa unless you are banning something.

And Boobus cheers every time.

gwax23
03-04-2014, 05:54 PM
A way to quit smoking? BANNED

Dr.3D
03-04-2014, 05:55 PM
How can a country call itself free when it has more laws than any other country?

Anti Federalist
03-04-2014, 06:06 PM
How can a country call itself free when it has more laws than any other country?

I don't think even Boobus believes that freedom nonsense anymore.

They know it's a police state...

Boobus is just too scared, stupid or apathetic to do anything about it.

DamianTV
03-04-2014, 06:08 PM

It may be worse than that. They are scared, but what they fear I slightly disagree with you on. They WANT a Police State, and are terrified of life without it.

Lucille
03-04-2014, 06:09 PM
SMH. A bunch of Neo-Puritan control freaks, is what.

green73
03-04-2014, 06:19 PM

"Fucking cunts" is what I uttered when I saw this thread. I've spent too much time in England. What's your excuse? :D

Dr.3D
03-04-2014, 06:21 PM
"Fucking cunts" is what I uttered when I saw this thread. I've spent too much time in England. What's your excuse? :D
I've spent too much time in Mexico. They have far fewer regulations than we do here. From what I could see, you could do what you wanted (to a point) as long as it didn't bother somebody else.

DamianTV
03-04-2014, 06:24 PM

I was thinking that these people that get screwed so often are merely expecting to get screwed some more.

DamianTV
03-04-2014, 06:25 PM
(removed: duplicate post)

acptulsa
03-04-2014, 06:33 PM

How can a country call itself free when it has a higher proportion of its population in prison than any other developed nation?

Why ask why? Drink Bud Dry...

green73
03-04-2014, 06:37 PM
I was thinking that these people that get screwed so often are merely expecting to get screwed some more.

:p

Dr.3D
03-04-2014, 06:46 PM
How can a country call itself free when it has a higher proportion of its population in prison than any other developed nation?

Why ask why? Drink Bud Dry...
Imagine how much crime would go down if 95% of the existing laws were abolished. They wouldn't need nearly as many prisons.

Schifference
03-04-2014, 07:01 PM
From what I gathered they are banning it solely because of the way people look. They are afraid people will want to smoke after seeing someone with an e-cigarette.

cajuncocoa
03-04-2014, 07:03 PM

Well, duh! They're keeping us safe, don'cha know?

Todd
03-04-2014, 07:09 PM

Nope. They believe it. Talk to them everyday.

Lucille
03-04-2014, 07:16 PM
From what I gathered they are banning it solely because of the way people look. They are afraid people will want to smoke after seeing someone with an e-cigarette.

Yep.

So why is the Los Angles City Council taking steps to discourage smokers from switching to a far less hazardous source of nicotine? For the children:

Foes of e-cigarettes said they threaten to make smoking socially acceptable after years of public opinion campaigns to discourage the habit (http://reason.com/blog/2014/03/04/la-city-council-unanimously-bans-vaping). Young people who get hooked on the nicotine in e-cigarettes may then turn to tobacco use, said Jonathan Fielding, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.

"We don't want to risk e-cigarettes undermining a half-century of successful tobacco control," he said.

It is rather mysterious how that would happen, since the main selling point of e-cigarettes is that they are much less dangerous and disgusting than the conventional kind. Nor is there any evidence that vaping is a gateway to smoking. But politicians do not need evidence when they've got the precautionary principle.

DamianTV
03-04-2014, 07:37 PM

These same people that demand to ban everything will remind you constantly of everything that is banned everywhere. No smoking signs are just as much of a reminder of smoking that in and of itself, it becomes an advertisement for smoking despite the message being the exact opposite. A sign saying "no e-cigarettes" will be just as much of a reminder of the existence of an e-cigarette as well.

kcchiefs6465
03-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Fuckin' fascists.

aGameOfThrones
03-04-2014, 07:50 PM

Why the hell they didn't just ban Mad Men? All they do is smoke and look cool while smoking. BTW, I don't like that show.

The more you tell me not to do something... the more I want to do it!

DamianTV
03-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Why the hell they didn't just ban Mad Men? All they do is smoke and look cool while smoking. BTW, I don't like that show.

The more you tell me not to do something... the more I want to do it!

I think that may be most people! Look how the DARE program completely backfired! Another study (grain of salt...) on Pro Vaccination messages are causing distrust in Vaccinations, another backfire.

The thing is, they dont really care about smoking or vaping, they care about TOTAL CONTROL over EVERYONE.

Henry Rogue
03-04-2014, 08:02 PM

Ban everything

DamianTV
03-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Ban everything

Except for the act of Banning itself.

Next requirement: Monitor people to make sure they brush twice daily as demanded by Proctor and Gamble.

Mini-Me
03-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Except for the act of Banning itself.

Next requirement: Monitor people to make sure they brush twice daily as demanded by Proctor and Gamble.

Is this toothpaste approved by the American Dental Association?

DamianTV
03-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Is this toothpaste approved by the American Dental Association?

Probably not, but the ADA would have a problem with my latest business idea: Drill & Fill - The Drive-Thru Dentist!

What I suspect would actually happen is that people will only be allowed to purchase toothpastes that have been recommended and will therefore be unlawful to buy toothpastes that are not on their "approved" list. Choosing outside the box will also soon be a Crime in the land of the Free.

NorfolkPCSolutions
03-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Stupid. Utterly stupid, stupid to the point that it makes me sad.

Let's see it for what it is though. There is a tobacco industry, and anything that sets their customers free is going to be fought tooth and nail.

Is chew illegal then? Snus? That shit can kill you.

Peace&Freedom
03-04-2014, 09:05 PM
This also reminds me of the congressional hysteria of 12 years ago, when "pro-hormone" supplements were mostly banned from the public. Politicians were aghast that despite their ban on steroids, there were non-drug compounds available that could metabolize into free testosterone or a steroid in the body once ingested.

The same issue as with 'vaping'---despite it not being destructive or even a drug, so long as the laws and regs were already on the books banning one type of substance, the template and pretext existed to ban anything like them the bureaucrats didn't like. The problem is with giving the state the power to ban what people ingest, which enables them to expand the categories of bannable things.

fr33
03-04-2014, 10:32 PM
It's a law you can get away with breaking. Blow the vapor out when nobody's looking.

nobody's_hero
03-05-2014, 05:41 AM
They won't be able to see the vapors through the smog anyway.

tod evans
03-05-2014, 06:53 AM

They lack the depth and warmth to qualify for the moniker...

[edit]

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1344928663438_6978549.png

juleswin
03-05-2014, 06:59 AM
I think that may be most people! Look how the DARE program completely backfired! Another study (grain of salt...) on Pro Vaccination messages are causing distrust in Vaccinations, another backfire.

The thing is, they dont really care about smoking or vaping, they care about TOTAL CONTROL over EVERYONE.

That and the effect it would have on their budgets. Cigarette tax is a big money maker for the state, if you all of a sudden have e cigs replaces tobacco, then what you are looking at is the possibility of your govt programs being underfunded. The state wants you to smoke tobacco and not e cigs.

belian78
03-05-2014, 08:10 AM
That word is like a gut punch, I love it. LoL

donnay
03-05-2014, 08:49 AM

And more people in jail than any other country! :mad: