PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a TV ad: Iowa

therealjjj77
11-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Anyone know who made this ad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Med926aDBoc

I'd like to get in touch with him about making a TV ad to air in Dubuque, IA, and Davenport, IA to let people know about him coming to Dubuque and Davenport on the 26th and 28th. Thanks!

GHoeberX
11-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Anyone know who made this ad?

I'd like to get in touch with him about making a TV ad to air in Dubuque, IA, and Davenport, IA to let people know about him coming to Dubuque and Davenport on the 26th and 28th. Thanks!

Adam Franklin is the person who made it. He's a professional and he works in Hollywood. He also made another awesome commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8mMTa79Uzc

More of his work is at www.frankdogg.net

therealjjj77
11-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks! Next thing we will need is fundraising to buy the ads. First I will find out what kind of cost we would be looking at.

therealjjj77
12-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Adam Franklin is the person who made it. He's a professional and he works in Hollywood. He also made another awesome commercial:

More of his work is at www.frankdogg.net

Is he on sabbatical or something? I have been trying to get in touch with him since last week to no avail. Any other people good at making commercial videos want to help?

The other issue I'm running in to is getting the campaign to commit to a time and a place. Advertising does no good if it doesn't direct them to a when and where.

therealjjj77
12-05-2007, 09:56 PM
I was able to get a hold of him today and also got rates from the advertising company in Davenport. I will need some help from those who are more market oriented on picking the right channels to use this commercial. This is the commercial that has been chosen:

The maker of it has agreed to allow it's use and is also willing to assist in modifying it as necessary for TV and to have the time and date where Ron Paul will be coming to.

Here are the choices of TV stations:

1 A&E
2 ABC FAMILY
3 AMC
4 ANIMAL PLANET
5 BET TV
6 BRAVO
7 CMT
8 CNBC
9 CNN
10 CNN HEADLINE
11 COMCAST
12 COMEDY
13 DISCOVERY
14 E! TV
15 ESPN
16 ESPN 2
17 FOOD NETWORK
18 FX
19 FOX NEWS
20 HALLMARK
21 HISTORY
22 HGTV
23 LIFETIME
24 MSNBC
25 MTV
26 NICK
27 SCI FI
28 SOAP NET
29 SPEED CHANNEL
30 SPIKE
31 TBS
32 TLC
33 TNT
34 TOON
35 TRAVEL CHANNEL
36 WEATHER CHANNEL
37 USA
38 VH1
39 VS

I personally think it would be great to put the commercial on several channels. Also, I was thinking it would be awesome to show it around 12-15 times between now and Dec. 26th/28th when he will be here. This would cost approx. 5,000-7,000$ depending on how many channels are picked. By getting people to Ron Paul when he comes here, we are basically beefing up the amount of caucus goers on the whole far eastern side of the state of Iowa. The goal in all of Iowa is to get nearly 18,000 caucus goers who are Ron Paul supporters. So if 70,000 people see the commercial between the two areas (Dubuque and Davenport) and 6,000 actually go to the gatherings, that could mean an extra 3,000 caucus goers in Iowa for Ron Paul. Plus they may bring family and friends. Add Des Moines and the rest of Iowa into that figure and we should be able to put Ron Paul as the number 1 candidate from January 3rd caucus. Here are some more numbers:

73,500 in the Quad cities(Davenport) who have cable
18,000 outside of the Quad cities(Davenport) who have cable

Cities this includes:
Davenport, DeWitt, Muscatine, Maquoketa, Bettendorf, Wilson, Eldridge, Clinton, Rock Island, Milan, and more

I don't have numbers for Dubuque area yet but will tomorrow.

Please let me know your input. Thanks!

saahmed
12-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Have you seen this thread? http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=48024

You should get a hold of opnh.org. They are getting 700 runs for $30,000. you should get much more than 12-15 for $7000.

Myerz
12-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Someone did a remix of this with Lincoln Park for the music, much more intense! I like it better. But it could be generational thing. How about both? Let's do it!

Myerz
12-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Ron Paul needs to use this guy for his ads....all of his ads!

Myerz
12-05-2007, 11:56 PM
LP version......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9xy18j0kWE&feature=related

saahmed
12-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Someone did a remix of this with Lincoln Park for the music, much more intense! I like it better. But it could be generational thing. How about both? Let's do it!

Not worth the licensing fees imo.

risiusj
12-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Using mainstream music can't be cheap.

Lord Xar
12-06-2007, 12:04 AM
contact

SKIINGFF

he is putting ads, starting this saturday in iowa. Perhaps he can get you in touch with his contact for media.

Compare with the pricing you have...

you *might* be able to get by with the music, under the radar .. :)

therealjjj77
12-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Have you seen this thread? http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=48024

You should get a hold of opnh.org. They are getting 700 runs for $30,000. you should get much more than 12-15 for $7000.

12-15 is how many per channel. It also is based upon the times the ads are run at. Let me show you what I mean:

Quad Cities area
CHN 5-7 7-10 Time

2 $21 $35
8 $30 $50
10 24 40
13 45 75
15 57 95
17 39 65
19 57 95
24 30 50
25 21 35
31 51 85
33 51 85
37 51 85
477 795 One time ad run

Clinton area
CHN 5-7 7-10 Time

2 $7 $12
3 $9 $15
4 18 30
5 12 20
6 18 30
8 12 20
10 18 30
12 12 20
15 11 18
19 18 30
21 18 30
24 18 30
171 285 One time ad run

You then have to multiply that number by .85(15% candidate discount). This also does not include the Dubuque area. So

171 + 477= 648 x 0.85=$550.80 x 12=6609.60

Then add in Dubuque area too. That's why I'm asking for suggestions on picking the channels. I need to taper down my list a little.

LibertyEagle
12-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Therealjjj777,

To use either of these ads, you will have to license the music used within them. Very expensive. Go take a look at the ads here: www.operationnh.com

therealjjj77
12-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Therealjjj777,

To use either of these ads, you will have to license the music used within them. Very expensive. Go take a look at the ads here: www.operationnh.com

We are already looking into the licensing on the first one. Out of their ads I really like the Christmas one. I just think that any ads in our area should say when he's coming to town.

saahmed
12-06-2007, 12:58 AM
We are already looking into the licensing on the first one. Out of their ads I really like the Christmas one. I just think that any ads in our area should say when he's coming to town.

You should also try to mention the Jan. 3 caucus. As far as channels go, I think you should stick to news and educational channels (people who are more likely to be interested in politics?) and maybe an ad appealing to youth on MTV/VH1.

tsetsefly
12-06-2007, 01:18 AM
fox news...

yaz
12-06-2007, 01:33 AM
we need to advertise on fox news a lot

therealjjj77
12-06-2007, 03:49 PM
I've been communicating with the people who are doing the 700 runs for 30,000 and they will be primarily focusing on the central part of Iowa. Some may get run in Dubuque area and Davenport area. Fox news will be hit heavily with Ron Paul. However, I think what I can do is at least get the young people to these Ron Paul rallies by doing an ad strictly on MTV. He has had great success with the young people who have stumbled across him so far and I don't think we've scratched the surface of that group. Most of them have never even heard of Ron Paul but are feeling the crunch of the economy and sensing the path our nation is heading. If we harness that group, get them to a Ron Paul rally, and sick em on the caucuses, I think we will have some very successful numbers. Most college students will be home from school and watching the tube at home. Also, if done just on MTV, we could run at the prime watching time(7pm-10pm) twelve times for only $540.60 in just the Davenport areas.

Any thoughts?

AdamT
12-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I've been communicating with the people who are doing the 700 runs for 30,000 and they will be primarily focusing on the central part of Iowa. Some may get run in Dubuque area and Davenport area. Fox news will be hit heavily with Ron Paul. However, I think what I can do is at least get the young people to these Ron Paul rallies by doing an ad strictly on MTV. He has had great success with the young people who have stumbled across him so far and I don't think we've scratched the surface of that group. Most of them have never even heard of Ron Paul but are feeling the crunch of the economy and sensing the path our nation is heading. If we harness that group, get them to a Ron Paul rally, and sick em on the caucuses, I think we will have some very successful numbers. Most college students will be home from school and watching the tube at home. Also, if done just on MTV, we could run at the prime watching time(7pm-10pm) twelve times for only $540.60 in just the Davenport areas.

Any thoughts?

If you're going for the MTV style viewer, I would suggest one like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmsXFxcVuu4

davidt!
12-06-2007, 04:55 PM
If your going for the young demographic I would suggest these channels off of your list. ch 25 MTV, ch 30 Spike, ch 38 VH1 and possibly ch 14 E!

surf
12-06-2007, 05:13 PM
i like ESPN - first. I'd love to see Comedy Central if the strike ends and you can get them on during the Daily Show.
Depending on how specific you can be, i'd run the CCR version twice as often as the LP version on ESPN and the LP version twice as often on Comedy Central.
i love the midwest but i don't know if Fox News has a loyal viewership that is 95% i'll-vote-for-anyone-but-RP (as i tend to percieve it) or if we can convert these viewers.
Headline News isn't a bad idea either.

tsetsefly
12-06-2007, 05:38 PM
are you going to pay for it yourself or do a chip in?

Adamsa
12-06-2007, 05:41 PM
We all want this ad on TV in Iowa, use some different music though.

rooteroa
12-06-2007, 05:44 PM

that's one of the best commercials i've seen, very well done

Mastiff
12-06-2007, 07:15 PM
We all want this ad on TV in Iowa, use some different music though.

Keep the CCR if you can get the rights.

therealjjj77
12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
It will be a chip in once I get all of the information and details sorted out. I want to make sure everything is very transparent before asking for any donations, and if someone wanted to just pay "On Media" directly, that would be great too. However, I need the campaign to commit to a time and place still for both rally locations.

I like the Constitution one. However, most people my age don't know it, nor do they see it as very relevant to this day so talking about it just makes them lose interest. However, talking about the issues they are facing and they are concerned about:

the war

taxes

abusive government

etc.

They will respond better to these issues being addressed. Then when they get involved they may learn about all the intricacies of the Constitution and why it's actually a wonderful document and very relevant to these issues. But talking about the 2nd amendment or 1st amendment has no relevance to most people in their 20s and early 30s. They don't even know what they are, or hardly remember them from school. It's making them think too much. =P Sweet, simple, and addressing their worries and our countries problems from their perspective is the best approach to get a response. (I speak about "them" in the 3rd person but I myself am a 24 year old and was very ignorant of the constitution 6 months ago, but very aware that there are serious problems in our country, just didn't know what they were.)

therealjjj77
12-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Dubuque area is actually much cheaper then the Davenport area. Here are the numbers:

MTV: $22 5-7pm
$24 7-10pm

VH-1 is the same.

Spike: $27
$30

ESPN: $44
$48

Comedy: $27
$30

Also, there is a 15% discount for political ads and the more ya buy the better deal you can work out as a package.

Thanks for the input on channels.

therealjjj77
12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
:mad:

Still haven't gotten a commitment yet from the official campaign on a time and place. That is very important. Can't do this without anywhere to direct these people to act.

The Revolution has not hit the eastern side of Iowa yet. We have got to use something like this to speed up the process.

KewlRonduderules
12-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Wasn't there another thread where there was talk of getting a license for the music?

maxbish
12-07-2007, 11:44 AM
The CCR ad is my fav, it would be great to have that run if licensing is worked out.

If you are targeting a younger audience, I think the same commercial but remixed with this music may be a better choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kn5ofxj3TQ

I don't recognize the music, so it may be royalty free! But you'd have to check w/FrankDog 1st to confirm.

Great work!

malibu
12-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Nice graphics work and great music go together well, and the quick movements of those graphics are ok enough, but I personally prefer fade-ins etc. if needed.

I like the commercials with alot of fans, and RP signing the back of shirts and all - makes him look like a rock star.

And "Mama I'm Comin' Home" goes well in the background to state our foreign policy position and put a smile on peoples faces to get them to wonder that maybe the neo-cons ARE wrong about this after all.

live concert 536,000 hits : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol0U7quGYCA
VH1 music video 105,000 hits : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxIRNBqGMjw

Like RP said himself at the end of a townhall meeting in Salem, NH broadcast on CSPAN last week when a guy asked him about putting up a big sign in a field --

"go ahead, be creative"

therealjjj77
12-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Generally in this area people my age would be turned off to that kind of music associated with a politician. People my age tend to listen to that kind of music at a club or something of the sort where they don't want their parents seeing what they are doing. I don't want that association made with Ron Paul. He is a man of integrity and people of all ages tend to want to elect people they see as having integrity and honesty. In high school and college politics, the people who tend to get elected tend to also be viewed as the most outstanding morally and academically. That kind of leadership people of all ages will follow. I just don't want the music conveying a different message.

malibu
12-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Generally in this area people my age would be turned off to that kind of music associated with a politician.

With all due respect, maybe people your age or others far away from - or not paying attention to - the university campuses in Iowa
aren't really all that interested in ending the US invasion of Iraq either ?

And if some feel guilty for using young men and woman as their cattle-slave troops to boost the military-industrial complex economy
that Ike warned us about, then fine.

And Ozz's song is also great for the shuttle astronauts when they are getting gear stowed for re-entry.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." - James Madison

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen
its brutality, its futility and its stupidity." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it.
After my experience, I have come to hate war. War settles nothing." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

http://www.betterworldheroes.com/eisenhower.htm

http://www.westpointgradsagainstthewar.org/

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/76c73b38a9.jpg

Eric21ND
12-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Nothing beats CCR...anyone have an official price on the music rights?

brumans
12-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Why not this one:

Why use the one that doesn't have any vocals? The above one is a lot better and would be more effective.

And we wouldn't have to worry about copyright laws and it gives Dr. Paul A LOT more face time so they can connect the face with the name.

Mastiff
12-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Why not this one:

Why use the one that doesn't have any vocals? The above one is a lot better and would be more effective.

And we wouldn't have to worry about copyright laws and it gives Dr. Paul A LOT more face time so they can connect the face with the name.

I like that ad too.

Chomsky
12-08-2007, 10:22 PM
This video has sporting event slots written all over it, its appeal is on a truly emotional level.

therealjjj77
12-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, I believe I have a commitment from the campaign on a place and time for one location(Dubuque):

December 27th 6pm
Grand River Center

I believe Frankdogg's second ad may be a great ad to alternate with the first one. If anything, I can come up with some background music for the first one that would be mainstream and not detract from the message.

This ad would cost approx. 97.75$ each time to run it all on these 4 channels at once:

ESPN
MTV
Spike
VH-1

I was thinking that Frankdogg's second add would be a great run for ESPN, while the first ad will run on MTV, Spike, and VH-1. If we can't get the licensing we will simply run it with this version that needs no licensing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-GgJpfSmQ

Now, if anyone would like to help out with the fundraising, I have absolutely no experience with setting up a fundraising clicker. How much we raise will determine how many runs. If we raise 1000$ that will mean ten runs on all four of those stations during the 5-7pm slot(total of 40 runs). This needs to be done quickly though so we can start getting the ads rolling.

Thanks!

therealjjj77
12-10-2007, 11:28 PM
BTW, I expect this effort, if done, could muster up 500-1,000 more votes in the Iowa caucus for Ron Paul. When we need 18,000 to win, that is a big step in the right direction.

saahmed
12-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Have you started a Chipin yet? Definitely need to get the ball rolling on this.

synthetic
12-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Nothing beats CCR...anyone have an official price on the music rights?

There was another thread about getting this licence but no one seems to have any info. :(

If the grassroots can't pull this off maybe the offical campaign can step up and spend some of that money.

saahmed
12-11-2007, 03:00 AM
There was another thread about getting this licence but no one seems to have any info. :(

If the grassroots can't pull this off maybe the offical campaign can step up and spend some of that money.

Yeah its kind of frustrating that it does not seem like the official campaign is spending the money it has. I am in Eastern Iowa and have only heard one Ron Paul radio ad and seen one TV ad. I have seen one Tancredo ad though he has no where near the money Paul has. Why is this? I've also seen a lot of Huckabee recently. Ron Paul should at least be equivalent to Huck if not more. I know he is not focusing solely on Iowa, but it is important to do well here.

kjk437
12-11-2007, 03:16 AM

Bah, I'm only 20 years old, and I definitely liked the CCR better! It's "Fortunate Son," man! ;)

therealjjj77
12-11-2007, 08:23 AM

Like I said, if we can't get it we'll use the original that doesn't need a license.

Have you started a Chipin yet? Definitely need to get the ball rolling on this.

I have no idea how to. Maybe someone who is a little more familiar with that could help in that regard.

FreeTraveler
12-11-2007, 08:44 AM

Yeah, it's a generational thing, for sure. There's no comparison of the quality of the music, at least to these 55-yr-old ears. :D

Mastiff
12-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Can someone summarize the status here? Doing the chipin is easy enough, but are we ready to go otherwise?

therealjjj77
12-11-2007, 10:38 AM
For the Dubuque area we are ready to go. The Davenport area I still need to find out when and where Ron Paul will be. We just need the funds. So if someone knows how to do a chipin, be my guest.

therealjjj77
12-11-2007, 10:38 AM
For a goal we could set 1200. That would get us 12 showings x 4 channels for 48 showings.

Just Come Home
12-11-2007, 10:45 AM

Please do not use Linkin Park in Iowa!

TERRIBLE Idea!

therealjjj77
12-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Please do not use Linkin Park in Iowa!

TERRIBLE Idea!

We won't be. However, we will be using these two versions once the money is raised:

Ad #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-GgJpfSmQ

Ad #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPOveu2vPSU

They will be modified to have the date and location for when Ron Paul will be in town at the end.

Please, if someone knows how to do a chipin, go for it and do your part.

Mastiff
12-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Here's a chipin for this. I'm in the Cedar Rapids meetup by the way.

http://rpeastiowa.chipin.com/eastern-iowa-ron-paul-tv-campaign

therealjjj77
12-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks Mastiff! Maybe we can get the admins to put it on the main forum page.

Mastiff
12-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Not making much progress. Is there no interest in this?

therealjjj77
12-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Not making much progress. Is there no interest in this?

I condensed it all into one thread here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=51808&page=1

But it keeps getting buried. =/

saahmed
12-12-2007, 09:21 PM
I think we should get operationnh.com to focus on Eastern Iowa with their current fundraising and focus our efforts on getting them funds. They are already established, have the necessary contacts, and have ads.