PDA

View Full Version : TX-Man checks himself into hospital for hernia surgery. Gets locked up instead.

Anti Federalist
03-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Texas man detained in a psych ward, nursing home without due process

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/charlie-fink/

RICHARDSON, TX — A man says that after he drove himself to a hospital for a surgery, social workers detained him against his will and he was then put into a psychiatric ward, and ultimately a nursing home. In a wild exhibition of state power, the man has been a prisoner without due process and no way to free himself.

On February 21st, Charlie Fink, of Arlington, Texas, drove himself to Methodist Richardson Medical Center for a scheduled hernia surgery. Fink, 85, was scheduled to leave three days later. But to his dismay, he was locked in a room against his will and told he may not leave.

With the government complicit in his abduction, he went to the media to help him.

“I tried to get out of Methodist and they locked the door… [APS] told me I wasn’t never coming home.”

“They put me in a mental institution Monday night,” Mr. Fink told MyFoxDFW.

Fink’s friend and neighbor, Kenny McIntosh, received a distressed call from the hospital. “He called me and said, ‘I haven’t left yet; Adult Protective Services lady came in here and told me I wasn’t never coming home,’” said McIntosh.

“I tried to get out of Methodist and they locked the door,” said Fink. “They wouldn’t even let me out.”

In secret, social workers held an emergency “protective” hearing and claimed Mr. Fink was a threat to himself. That allegation is all the state needs to nullify all of the man’s freedom and autonomy. Fink was soon transferred out of the psychiatric ward and over to a nursing home in Arlington.

Mr. Fink says he has no mental illness or dementia, and was afforded no opportunity to defend his freedom in court. The whims of Adult Protective Services (APS) were all it took to make him a permanent prisoner.

Fink expressed his frustration to reporters, saying, “I just don’t think they should have a law like that… it should not be allowed to be.”

APS got involved based on an anonymous tip that Mr. Fink could no longer take care of himself. And that’s just about all it takes to void out the independence of Charlie Fink and millions of other elderly or incapacitated individuals.

“Give him one more chance,” said his friend Kenny McIntosh. “That’s all I’m asking. Give him one more chance and bring him home and let us take care of him.”

But the state doesn’t have to give him anything once he is placed in its captivity. If the temporary guardianship is turned into permanent guardianship, Fink will not see another day as a free man. He will be locked up, forcibly medicated, and controlled in every way until he dies.

Cases of forcible medical detention have been receiving some much needed coverage recently. A teenage girl in Massachusetts named Justina Pelletier has endured over one year of forced drugging in state captivity after her parents were deemed to unsuitable guardians because they disagreed with the psychiatrists at Boston Children’s Hospital. Another detainee, 26-year-old Bret Bohn of Anchorage, has been turned into a permanent ward of the state because the government believes that federally subsidized psychiatrists care more about his well being than his own parents.

No one’s freedom is secure as long as people can be turned into medical prisoners in such a cavalier manner.

aGameOfThrones
03-03-2014, 10:37 PM
You like your freedom, you can keep your freedom.

Anti Federalist
03-03-2014, 10:46 PM
You like your freedom, you can keep your freedom.

Charlie Fink did this to himself.

Side note: FrankRep, come back, we need some new memes.

Anti Federalist
03-03-2014, 10:47 PM
////

Mani
03-03-2014, 11:48 PM

Darn it, you beat me to it.

He did this to himself for....needing a surgery....

Occam's Banana
03-04-2014, 03:06 AM

We are all of us already under the purview & authority of "adult protective services."

The only difference here is that Charlie Fink is being harassed & abused by goons whose "badges" literally say "Adult Protective Services."

We did this to ourselves ...

mrsat_98
03-04-2014, 05:11 AM
http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Adult_Protection/

What We Do
APS investigates abuse, neglect, and exploitation of adults who are elderly or have disabilities. Any adult who has a disability or who is age 65 or older over that is in a state of abuse, neglect, or exploitation is eligible to receive adult protective services.

Victims of abuse, neglect, or exploitation may get short-term help with shelter, home repairs, food, transportation, managing money, medical care, home healthcare services, and mental health services.

Our Mission
APS's mission is to protect older adults and persons with disabilities from abuse, neglect, and exploitation by investigating and providing or arranging for services, if needed, to stop or prevent further harm.
Services
The two major types of APS services are:

In-home investigations and services
Facility investigations
Note: APS provides interpreters as required by law for clients (and those suspected of abuse, neglect or exploitation) who have limited English skills or are blind, deaf, hard of hearing, etc.

Adult Abuse Facts
The problem of abuse of the elderly and adults with disabilities became widely recognized only in the past few decades. Yet, it may be as common as child abuse. As the number of older Texans and awareness of the issue has increased, so has the number of cases Texas APS investigates.

In 2011, APS completed 87,741 investigations of abuse, neglect, or exploitation involving adults living in Texas communities. Of those cases, 58,068 were confirmed as valid. That compares to 56,170 investigations and 40,559 confirmed cases just a decade earlier.

Signs of Abuse of the Elderly or People with Disabilities
Abuse may cause various injuries such as scratches, cuts, bruises, burns, broken bones, or bedsores. It can also result in confinement, rape or sexual misconduct, and verbal or psychological abuse.

Neglect may cause starvation, dehydration, over- or under-medication, unsanitary living conditions, lack of personal hygiene. Neglected adults may also not have heat, running water, electricity, medical care.

Exploitation may result in loss of property, money, or income. Exploitation means misusing the resources of an elderly or disabled person for personal or monetary benefit. This includes taking Social Security or SSI (Supplemental Security Income) checks, misusing a joint checking account, or taking property and other resources.

Sometimes adults who are 65 years old or older or those who have disabilities may become isolated or ill and not have someone who is willing and able to help meet their basic needs.

How You Can Help
Bridge Rooms, Silver Star Rooms, and Silver Ribbon Rooms
Prevention and Public Awareness
Elder Abuse Is Everyone's Business (awareness campaign and video)
Web Video - A Closer Look at APS Caseworkers and Clients
Health Information for SeniorsExternal Link (from U.S. government)
Danger from Summer Heat is Everyone’s BusinessPDF Document
APS Related Links
APS History
Community Satisfaction Survey Results Report
APS and the TEAM Institute
How to Request a Case Record
See Agency Reports for addition presentations and reports
Contract Services
Laws and Handbooks
APS In-Home Services and Investigations Handbook
APS Facility Investigations Handbook
Proposed and Adopted Rules in the Texas Register
Texas Adult Protection Legal Definitions
En Español
El Programa de Servicios de Protección al Adulto (APS) en Español
Normas y procedimientos de APS respecto a los clientes con dominio limitado del inglés y habilidades limitadas sensoriales o del habla
Protegernos contra el calor del verano es responsabilidad de todosPDF Document

moostraks
03-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Cradle to grave the nosey do gooders are going to stalk people. The irony is you take the elderly from their homes and family and hold them hostage you are going to likely get one of two reactions and both will deem them unfit by a psychiatrist. These bastards at Social Services need stopped. :mad:

thoughtomator
03-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Once you understand that a major point of Obamacare is to kill off the burdensome older generation as fast as possible, this stuff starts to make sense.

FindLiberty
03-04-2014, 08:13 AM
It's a brave new world. Time for your soma dose...

Schifference
03-04-2014, 08:16 AM
Due Process seems to be the issue here. It is easy to portray these individuals as either saints or menaces to society. Many elderly people have serious cognitive issues that they and their loved ones don't recognize or deny. A competent adult that makes a choice to live without running water, heat, or electricity has made a conscious decision. Has anyone ever met an old person that is not a safe driver? If your father built a financial empire from trading stocks but was no longer able to clearly express himself or was not alert and oriented to the present day and surroundings would you feel it is in his best interest to be making misinformed financial transactions? Or would you be concerned if your 90 year old wealthy father that seems to be lacking in a cognitive sense had a new live in 22 year old girlfriend and he was buying her expensive gifts? If you were 30 years old would you want your 85 year old parent or grand parent transporting or babysitting your youngsters? Is it prudent to have your loved one living alone in a city with no help and driving a car? If an individual has no loved one except their lifelong disabled spouse should they be living alone? Due Process is the issue. If he is capable to care for himself and his wife or has someone that has assumed that responsibility then by all means he should not be detained.

pcosmar
03-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Cases of forcible medical detention have been receiving some much needed coverage recently. A teenage girl in Massachusetts named Justina Pelletier has endured over one year of forced drugging in state captivity after her parents were deemed to unsuitable guardians because they disagreed with the psychiatrists at Boston Children’s Hospital. Another detainee, 26-year-old Bret Bohn of Anchorage, has been turned into a permanent ward of the state because the government believes that federally subsidized psychiatrists care more about his well being than his own parents.

And don't forget the young ex- Marine that was committed over FB posts.

And some people don't understand my objections to folks like Ken Cuccinelli,, who wants to give these folks even more power.

pcosmar
03-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Due Process seems to be the issue here.

No.
The issue here is Political abuse of psychiatry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry

Though due Process should prevent it,, the legal system is long been corrupted.

Cleaner44
03-04-2014, 08:55 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Uv9dlSX89cI/UUqQZdzVdjI/AAAAAAAAD5k/K712_v2dit8/s1600/One+Flew+Over+the+Cuckoo%27s+Nest+19.jpg

Schifference
03-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Does anyone have more information on this story? To me the details seem vague.

pcosmar
03-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Does anyone have more information on this story? To me the details seem vague.
Local news,
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/24845464/elderly-man-state-sent-to-nursing-home-defends-independence
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/24833984/north-texas-man-says-he-cant-leave-hospital

"Charlie Fink's my friend," said Kenny. "He's an 85- year-old man that doesn't have any family, and I feel like he's getting preyed on by a few certain people."

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/24856271/lawyer-weighs-in-on-man-sent-to-nursing-home

Adult Protective Services became involved with the Finks after an anonymous referral, which is part of state law to prevent abuse and neglect of elderly.

I'll bet someone wants his property.

Schifference
03-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Even still few actual details have been released. I wonder if it would be difficult for his wife to live independently. It is a sad but many people have a diminished capacity when they get old.

Philhelm
03-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Never talk to a social worker?

Philhelm
03-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Or would you be concerned if your 90 year old wealthy father that seems to be lacking in a cognitive sense had a new live in 22 year old girlfriend and he was buying her expensive gifts?

What's wrong with that?

Schifference
03-04-2014, 02:07 PM
maybe nothing
What's wrong with that?

aGameOfThrones
03-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Black market surgery next time.

fisharmor
03-04-2014, 02:16 PM
In 2011, APS completed 87,741 investigations of abuse, neglect, or exploitation involving adults living in Texas communities. Of those cases, 58,068 were confirmed as valid. That compares to 56,170 investigations and 40,559 confirmed cases just a decade earlier.
I don't get how people don't see through this.
The only reason for either APS or CPS to exist - ever - is to take people away from their living situations.
They don't exist to investigate and make sure that everyone's ok - they exist to ruin people's shit. If that wasn't the goal, then there would be no need for these organizations.
And then they brag about it, like taking elderly people and children and locking them up is something to take pride in.

Black market surgery next time.

Or at the very least medical tourism. He probably could have gotten the surgery and a vacation in Costa Rica for less money, and if they decided to lock him up, the state department might even have tried to prevent it.

Anti Federalist
03-04-2014, 02:27 PM
I'll bet someone wants his property.

I'd wager hard money on that.