PDA

View Full Version : Senators preparing Ukraine aid bill with $1 billion in loan guarantees

tsai3904
03-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he stands ready to act in response to Russian military intervention in the Crimea, and a bill with more than $1 billion in loan guarantees for Ukraine is already in the works.

“I am terribly concerned about what’s going on in the Ukraine,” the Nevada Democrat said in a photo op Monday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

“I think Ukraine is in crisis and needs some help,” Reid said. “What I am going to recommend is that anything we do should be in coordination with our allies. President Obama said he wants to give economic aid, I think that’s appropriate. I will be happy to help in any way.”

Senate Foreign Relation Committee Chairman Robert Menendez, D-N.J., said he was working on a bipartisan package to provide aide to Ukraine.

“The Senate Foreign Relations Committee is developing a bipartisan legislative package to provide critical support to Ukraine, which is teetering on the brink of economic collapse following years of chronic government mismanagement and corruption,” Menendez said in a release. “This legislation will authorize funds to provide at least $1 billion in loan guarantees to provide structural support to Ukraine’s economy, as well as authorize technical assistance for energy reforms, support elections, strengthen civil society, combat corruption, and assist Ukraine in the recovery of stolen assets.”

More:
http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/reid-backs-ukraine-economic-aid-menendez-preparing-bill/

Mini-Me
03-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Out of their own pockets? Awww, how nice of...wait, OUR pockets?

idiom
03-03-2014, 06:30 PM
At least Russia is only using bullets.

America is using debt to slaughter Ukrainians.

Mini-Me
03-03-2014, 06:45 PM
At least Russia is only using bullets.

America is using debt to slaughter Ukrainians.

New slogan: "We won't kill you! We'll just make you want to kill yourself."

thoughtomator
03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Out of their own pockets? Awww, how nice of...wait, OUR pockets?

Nope, empty too. Try China's pockets.

MichaelDavis
03-03-2014, 07:45 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/were-gonna-free-the-shit-out-of-you.jpg

Mini-Me
03-03-2014, 07:46 PM

China's not big on paying for free. I think we might end up with a few more chains around our ankles.

Murray N Rothbard
03-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Someday they will stop getting away with this shit.

A size-able part of the US population, about 10% I think, has woken up for good and won't go running back to Statism just because of some Russian boogeyman.

Mini-Me
03-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Someday they will stop getting away with this shit.

A size-able part of the US population, about 10% I think, has woken up for good and won't go running back to Statism just because of some Russian boogeyman.

I hope it's sooner rather than later. War with Russia could be catastrophic, because it could go nuclear if the crazies get their way. Some Americans might deserve to learn the hard way what war is actually like when it touches your own backyard, but...I'm not going to wish it on them, and I sure as hell don't want to wish it on the rest of us.

mad cow
03-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Wow! The Ukraine must have an incredible credit rating!

specsaregood
03-03-2014, 09:18 PM

China has already officially sided with Russia in this situation.

thoughtomator
03-03-2014, 09:21 PM
China has already officially sided with Russia in this situation.

that doesn't mean they won't continue to feed us rope

mrsat_98
03-03-2014, 10:04 PM
that doesn't mean they won't continue to feed us rope

SWEET

2young2vote
03-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Loan a billion dollars to a financially and politically distressed nation? Sounds like an awesome plan! Man, it makes me feel so good on the inside when we help the little guy.

fr33
03-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Bitch some more about debt ceilings and govt shutdowns.

ZENemy
03-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Didn't they just cut benefits for veterans?

Brian4Liberty
03-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Related:

The playbook is described right here, by a "whistle-blower". Go to the 9:00 mark to hear discussion of manipulating nations into going into debt, around 12:00 mark he talks about fomenting coups.

"Our job was to convince other countries to take very large loans, and then to convince the World Bank and other such organizations to give these countries huge loans...so now they are saddled with this incredible debt that they can't possibly pay."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTbdnNgqfs8

Acala
03-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Loan a billion dollars to a financially and politically distressed nation? Sounds like an awesome plan! Man, it makes me feel so good on the inside when we help the little guy.

Keep in mind that these loans will be made by BANKS, with the profit going to BANKS, and the risk being covered by the US Government. Not matter who else loses, banks always win. Always. It is nothing short of astonishing just how good they are at it.

Mini-Me
03-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Keep in mind that these loans will be made by BANKS, with the profit going to BANKS, and the risk being covered by the US Government. Not matter who else loses, banks always win. Always. It is nothing short of astonishing just how good they are at it.

New lesson for kids: Without morals, anything is possible!

limequat
03-05-2014, 09:11 AM
"The Game Called Bailout"

^
That's the title of one of the chapters in "The Creature from Jekyll Island".

It's fascinating how we continue to fall for this trick. Again. And. Again.