PDA

View Full Version : Help create a national database of people killed through interactions with cops

phill4paul
02-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Fatal Encounters
A step toward creating an impartial, comprehensive and searchable national database of people killed during interactions with law enforcement

http://www.fatalencounters.org/spreadsheets/

Why FE exists
This project to create a comprehensive national database of people who are killed through interactions with police started with a simple question: How often does that happen?

May 18, 2012: I was on my way home from work when I noticed a bunch of cop cars down by the Truckee River. As the editor of a newspaper, the Reno News & Review, I was curious. We’re a weekly, so we don’t much cover the police beat—not the day-to-day stuff anyway—but it’s my nature to satisfy my curiosity. So when I got home, I turned on the scanner app on my cell phone, fired up my laptop, and poured a glass of red wine.

It turned out the police had pulled over a stolen car, and they’d shot and killed the driver. (Jace Herndon, 41, we found out later.) Honestly—and not because I’m one of those hard-boiled, cynical types—I wasn’t particularly surprised or offended. Criminals often come to a bad end.

But again, I’m an editor, so I noticed when a gaping hole appeared in every single news story I read about the incident. There was no context. I kept looking for a sentence that said something like “This was x person killed by police in Washoe County this year.”

But it was never there. I searched the web for a few minutes, came up short, and started doing something productive. I simply considered the missing information a failing of the local news media, and I moved on. Still, its absence bugged me. I felt as though I’d accidentally left my wallet on my nightstand; while I knew I could retrieve it if I needed to, not having it was bothersome.

And then a few months later, an 18-year-old, naked and unarmed college student, Gil Collar, was killed by University of South Alabama police on Dec. 6, 2012. Early reports said the officer never got within five feet of the kid, and no non-lethal methods were tried. “Wow, how often does that happen?”

It was a national news story. But again, a complete lack of context. And this wasn’t some mid-sized city’s overburdened media workforce not reporting, these were the nation’s biggest news sources, like the Associated Press and the New York Times. I began to search in earnest, but nowhere could I find out how many people died during interactions with police in the United States. There are all kinds of articles that point out the issue, for example, I kept returning to the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s series Deadly Force (Nov. 28, 2011) “The nation’s leading law enforcement agency [FBI] collects vast amounts of information on crime nationwide, but missing from this clearinghouse are statistics on where, how often, and under what circumstances police use deadly force. In fact, no one anywhere comprehensively tracks the most significant act police can do in the line of duty: take a life.”

Try as I might, I just can’t wrap my head around that idea. In the 21st century, the only reason this information would not be tracked, data-based and available to the public is because somebody somewhere decided Americans shouldn’t know how many people are killed by police and under what circumstances.

No giant Big Brother conspiracy theory necessary. The information is out there. It’s not censored or hidden, even if it is under-reported. Certainly, though, it’s uncollected by the logical entity to assemble it, the U.S. Department of Justice.

But it is out there.

Somebody just has to collect it. That is this project’s vision and goal: a comprehensive, searchable database of people who die for any reason through fatal police encounters.

How to help
Essentially, there are four ways to help create this database of people killed during encounters with police. The first and easiest is with a little cash. While I expect to hit up nonprofit funders of journalism, more parts of this project have to go live before I feel comfortable asking people for money. In the meantime, I’m paying for web hosting, software, some development, classes, FBI FOIA charges, etc., out of my own pocket. And believe me, as a single parent, a double master’s student, and a lifelong journalist, there’s not a hell of a lot in my pocket. Lint, maybe.

Local public records requests
Second, journalists and other interested people can print out and submit public record requests in their own states from the “For public records requests” tab. The idea behind this is that locals know their own state’s public records laws. This site provides the names and mailing addresses of all the law enforcement agencies in any geographic area in the United States.

This database is available to anyone for any use. It’s from a public document, although I don’t think it was available until this database was created. In exchange for its use, particularly if it’s being used to make public records requests regarding fatal encounters with police, I’d appreciate it if you’d drop me an email at d.brian@fatalencounters.org, telling me what agencies you’ve made requests of (county and state) and, when a response is received, a copy of the results so the information on the incident database can be updated and/or verified.

New incidents
Third, for new incidents, submit directly to the site by clicking on the heading “Submit fatal encounters,” filling in available information, and hitting submit. It’s the nature of how this information trickles out that initial reports are spotty at best. It’s probably a good idea to allow a few days to pass and then begin researching and inputting the data. However, something is better than nothing, and if a few days pass, and the news media or law enforcement have not posted more complete data, please submit what information is available. This is a work in progress, and partial information will help focus future public information requests and enable further research.

Older incidents
The fourth way people can help is by updating partial information I’ve scraped from the internet regarding incidents going back to 2000. To accomplish this, I’ve created a Google spreadsheet of incidents scraped from various sources, including Wikipedia, here: http://tinyurl.com/cz3rafa.

Open the spreadsheet and look for a row that has a lot of empty fields. Open your favorite search engine in a new tab so you can switch back and forth from the search-engine tab to the spreadsheet. Column Q should have enough information to link to the original story that this partial information came from–just make it your search string. Sometimes Column Q will have a URL for a published piece. It’s easiest to start there just to get an idea of the environment in which you’re working. For example, it may be as easy as searching at the same media source for a follow-up story to fill in the gaps.

However, few things are easy.

After filling in any data from the original source that didn’t make it to the spreadsheet, I search the subject’s name and other pertinent information. Let’s use a random incident, Line 757, James Popkowski. For reasons of illustration, let’s pretend Column Q had no additional information to fill in empty cells. As an example, I’ll create a new row (Line 758) above Popkowski’s and fill in the blanks. First thing you do, is right-click on the row number, click on the paint bucket and select a red background, so no one else will accidentally select the one you’re working on.

Search James Popkowski. We actually got lucky on this one because he was a former Marine whose death illustrated the difficulties veterans face when dealing with the medical treatment provided by the Veterans Administration so there was a lot of media attention. http://www.kjonline.com/news/report-cites-failures-in-vets-treatment_2010-12-13.html?pagenum=full

Start by going across the columns: Add the middle initial ‘F.’ to the name. Add his age, 37, to Column C, and his sex to Column D. Next right-click his picture, Copy Image URL, and paste the result into Column E. To get the information for Column I, do a separate search for Togus Veterans Affairs Medical Center, which results in the address 1 VA Center Augusta, ME 04330. Do you notice the error in the original entry? Popkowski was from Medway, Maine, but he was killed in Augusta, Maine. Put in the correct information.

There is another problem with Column M, Agency responsible for death. We don’t know, yet. The story we are looking at says, “Popkowski died July 8 from a single gunshot wound to the neck after a confrontation with a Veterans Affairs police officer and two game wardens.” We’ll look for more specific information later.

That’s about as far as we can get from this article. Let’s look a little deeper into our search results. You may want to copy this article’s URL into Column Q, just because it has so many details.

Look at the next search result. This is about as official as it gets, and it’s actually the report the first story was written from: Findings of the Attorney General in the Matter of the Shooting Death of James F. Popkowski on July 8, 2010 at the Togus VA Hospital: http://www.maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/index.php?topic=AGOffice_Press&id=173931&v=article Since this is the better, more official source, I exchange this URL for the one that we just pasted into Column Q.

From reading the report, we see that an officer from the VA police and a game warden fired simultaneously, and although forensics must have known from which gun the killing shot originated, the report doesn’t say. The best we can do is list both: Veterans Affairs Police/Maine Warden Service.

In the section Analysis and Conclusion, we see that the use of deadly force was found to be justified.

All that’s left to do is add your name or nickname to the information in Column R, and add your email address to Column S, if you so choose.

We got really fortunate with this entry. Usually, details are scant, and some tricks, like doing the initial name search, then hitting the “Search Tools” option, then clicking “Any Time,” then choosing “Custom Range,” and limiting the search to within 60 days of the death are necessary. Sometimes Zip Codes are difficult to find, but they’re very important because the mapping will depend on them. I use http://www.unitedstateszipcodes.org/ , but sometimes I have to use Google Maps to drill down if an intersection is all that’s available for a location.

The last thing I’d ask is that you would highlight the row you just completed by clicking the row’s number, then clicking the paint bucket on the toolbar, and change the row from a red to a green background.

Thank you,
Brian

phill4paul
02-28-2014, 10:12 AM
//

Anti Federalist
02-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Reading....thanks Phill

kcchiefs6465
02-28-2014, 12:52 PM
+reps for names not on the list.

Thor
02-28-2014, 01:28 PM
There is no column for "officer(s) responsible for death" ... just agency responsible...

Let's identify the actual culprits of police brutality. The cops that beat the person to death, or body slammed them, or tasered, or shot, or did whatever else they did to kill the person.

phill4paul
02-28-2014, 05:59 PM
An evening bump.

Here's a story of someone killed through interaction with cops. It was not reported in any media until this piece.

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/death-in-the-afternoon/content?oid=12858772

WM_in_MO
02-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Is this like our own holocaust memorial?

Matt Collins
02-28-2014, 07:49 PM
http://www.policemisconduct.net/

Working Poor
02-28-2014, 08:16 PM
There used to be a web site for people killed by police who went to the wrong house during a drug raid. The list was very long and had people of all ages, races, religion, and genders. I used to have it book marked but my computer crashed and when I tried to find it again I could not find it.

Christopher A. Brown
03-02-2014, 08:32 PM
These are real bad.

Andy Lopez-
Santa Rosa residents question shooting of 13-year-old boy
http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_24380767/santa-rosa-residents-question-shooting-13-year-old

Annette Garcia
Mother of 3 shot in back
http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_24380767/santa-rosa-residents-question-shooting-13-year-old

Oscar Grant
Shot in back by bart cop while on ground, pinned.
http://abcnews.go.com/topics/news/oscar-grant.htm

Kelly Thomas
Homeless disabled beaten to death
\http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/14/kelly-thomas-trial-officers-acquitted-in-homeless-man-death/

phill4paul
04-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Relevant bump

mrsat_98
04-05-2014, 04:00 AM
Is this like our own holocaust memorial?

I'd say it is a list of predicate acts under RICO.

WM_in_MO
04-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the bump, linking this to a thread in /r/anarcho_capitalism (http://www.reddit.com/r/Anarcho_Capitalism/comments/224hue/cop_pulls_gun_on_kids_building_a_tree_fort_video/)

Ronin Truth
04-05-2014, 11:22 AM
http://www.developmenteducation.ie/5-50-500/_files/067-murderous-governments.pdf

Origanalist
07-23-2014, 06:24 AM
http://zerogov.com/?p=3514

Ten Questions for D. Brian Burghart, Founder of Fatal Encounters

Publisher’s Note: I was intrigued when I ran across D. Brian Burghart on the web. He is the editor/publisher of the Reno News & Review, a dual-master’s student and journalism instructor at the University of Nevada, Reno. He started Fatal Encounters, www.fatalencounters.org, which went live on Feb. 27, 2014, to create a crowd-sourced, objective and comprehensive database of people killed during interactions with police and the circumstances surrounding the killing. Please understand that while Brian may not be a subscriber to the philosophy of this website and the abolitionist community, he is working toward a common goal. My questions are in italics. -BB

What brought to this Fatal Encounters project? Give us a little background on your interest in this.

This project was metaphorically conceived on May 18, 2012, as I was driving home from my job at the newspaper. A bunch of police cars had a street cordoned off, and I could just see that something serious had happened. My guess, and I was right, was that police had shot and killed somebody. When I got home, I was just curious how often that happened. I couldn’t find the information for the city, county, state or country. In my research, I discovered there was no national database focusing on circumstances in which police killed people. In the 21st century, I just could not accept that absence of data. I was offended that our government wanted us ignorant with regard to this. I thought about the ramifications of this lack of information for quite some time. That’s when a naked, drug-addled, unarmed, 18-year-old college student, Gil Collar, was killed by a police officer at the University of Southern Alabama. No less lethal methods of restraint were tried. On that day, I realized that somebody was going to have to create a system by which regular people could build this database, otherwise it was never going to exist. To sustain the metaphor, that was the day Fatal Encounters was born.

With over 19,000 departments and nearly a million statist badged police in the US, the culture of violence has ramped up significantly. Is police violence against civilians reaching epidemic proportions?

My numbers suggest closer to 1.2 million full- and part-time sworn and full- and part-time “civilian” state and local police, and that doesn’t include federal officers, but my information is a few years old, maybe its gone down. I don’t know the answer to this question. It certainly seems like incidents have increased, but since the database is not yet complete, we have no way of knowing whether numbers of incidents have increased, or whether it’s just our awareness has been raised by things like social media, but the numbers of incidents have actually decreased.

Why is it worse now?

Again, I’m not willing to say it is worse without the solid numbers. From my own experience as a journalist, I can say that government agencies are more antagonistic to giving out public documents or being transparent with their actions. I know that ex-military personnel get preferential treatment in hiring for government jobs. I know that there are a lot of military surplus weapons and vehicles being made available to state and local law enforcement. I know that government surveillance of citizens has increased post-911, which creates a society that flip-flops the citizen/government relationship, which would tend to make those who represent government authority more willing to take forceful action against citizens.

What is the impact or negative contribution of the DoD/Pentagon 1033 program and other lend/lease deals for the police departments?

Increased militarization of gear, personnel and training creates situations in which police response is already heightened and more intimidating, which tends to escalate crisis situations. While the apparent intention is to tamp down crisis situations with ostensibly overwhelming force, my feeling is that the result is often the opposite.

There is an evil trifecta, I believe, in police unions, qualified immunity and officer safety training that provides some uniquely perverse incentives to encourage and justify bad behavior toward taxpayers. What are your thoughts?

To me, it all comes down to training and culture. People in government bureaucracies are very good at following orders and protocol. If the training and culture are such that police are trained and enabled to get the best outcomes in whatever situation with which they are presented, we’ll have better outcomes. But look at what we appear to hold as the standard in our culture. You don’t have to go any further than the silver screen to see that we present vigilantes (comic book superheroes) as something to be emulated. How many times in the movies or on television are police presented as protecting people’s rights versus being extra-judicial judges?

What are some of the causes of the thuggish behavior seen by people on the streets when cops encounter civilians?

That’s another difficult question to answer. The only time I ever experienced “thuggish” behavior from a cop was when a Harris County deputy bounced my head off my car in Texas in 1982 because he didn’t like yankees. Other than that, I think that police are trained to demand immediate obedience in the most incidental of matters, but as tension and numbers of officers/people increase, police are more likely to use force to coerce obedience. Constitutional rights of others take a secondary role to their own rights to life in unpredictable situations. And the courts have enabled this philosophy time and time again. Even though I constantly see Facebook videos “How to act when an officer asks for identification” that suggest an individual has a right to refuse to show ID unless the officer can state an infraction, I know this is not true because the U.S. Supreme Court in Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada found that the very act of asking for ID created an investigation. The result is we have police and people believing opposite things are the law, and that can create a situation where two right-minded individuals can become hostile. We believe we have a Second Amendment that gives us the right to carry guns, but the courts find again and again, the possession and sometimes the imagined possession of a firearm is enough to justify an officer killing someone without repercussion.

continued at ...http://zerogov.com/?p=3514