PDA

View Full Version : Man blows 0.00 on breathalyzer, gets arrested for DWI

aGameOfThrones
02-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Back in 2013, Texas resident Larry Davis ran either a red light or stop sign (reports vary) in his Buick in the city of Austin. Despite his insistence that he had had only one drink, he was put in handcuffs and arrested for driving while intoxicated. Then, when he was given a Breathalyzer test by the AustinPolice Department, he blew a 0.00. Nonetheless, as KVUE reports, Mr. Davis spent the night in jail.

While at the station, Mr. Davis agreed to give a blood sample as well, to prove he was not under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. The results would later come back 100% negative. Davis’ attorney, Daniel Betts, told KVUE, “My reaction was just shock that this happened."

The Austin Police Department stands by the arrest, saying they believed Davis showed signs of impairment, that while standing on one leg, he “swayed,” and “needed his arms for balance.” They also suggested that he could have been on marijuana, a drug that wouldn’t necessarily show up in a test. The APD said they’re going by a “take-no-chances” policy. That being said, they did acknowledge how unusual it is that Davis was arrested despite registering a zero on his breath test.

The Statesman reports that people, including Davis’ attorney, Mr. Betts, have characterized Austin PD’s drunken driving arrests as “overzealous.” They noted back in 2011, that Austin’s Travis County has, “dismissed a higher percentage of drunken driving cases than other major Texas counties -- in part because prosecutors said police filed weak charges or prosecutors allowed suspects plead to other crimes."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/man-blows-0-00-on-breathalyzer--gets-arrested-for-dwi-003450614.html

You know this was a DWB.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Never. Talk. To. Cops.

Even if you are road crawling, commode hugging hammered, "No. I have had nothing to drink".

Spikender
02-27-2014, 03:00 AM
Don't talk to cops if you're White.

Don't talk to cops if you're Latino.

Don't talk to cops if you're Asian.

Especially don't talk to cops if you're Black.

Lessons that people need to learn in this country.

Danke
02-27-2014, 07:29 AM
“take-no-chances” policy wth

Philhelm
02-27-2014, 10:54 AM
The Austin Police Department stands by the arrest, saying they believed Davis showed signs of impairment, that while standing on one leg, he “swayed,” and “needed his arms for balance.”

Let me guess: Davis was an amputee and the police took his prosthetic leg...or am I just being cynical?

Kelly.
02-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Never. Talk. To. Cops.

Even if you are road crawling, commode hugging hammered, "No. I have had nothing to drink".

actually you shouldnt lie to cops either.

he admitted he had been drinking and was stopped driving, he did this to himself.

KCIndy
02-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Why not? Cops lie all the time.

HOLLYWOOD
02-27-2014, 07:34 PM
saying they believed Davis showed signs of impairment, that while standing on one leg, he “swayed,” and “needed his arms for balance.” They also suggested that he could have been on marijuana

Make note... POLICE STATE says, "We will arrest you for anything 'we believe' may be suspect... you are now guilty, until you prove yourself innocent"

acptulsa
02-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Make note... POLICE STATE says, "We will arrest you for anything 'we believe' may be suspect... you are now guilty, until you prove yourself innocent"

Not in this case.

In this case the man remained guilty even after proving himself innocent.

aGameOfThrones
02-27-2014, 07:54 PM

They don't usually get jail time for lying to "suspects".

Don't DWB and don't WWB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztRSm_SJP58

Occam's Banana
02-27-2014, 09:31 PM

But that's totally different. Cops have badges & work for the gummint ...

Kelly.
02-28-2014, 11:23 AM

mainly because it is illegal for you to lie to cops, but not for cops to lie to you. freedumb!
remember, almost anytime you interact with a cop he/she is investigating something. lying will get you no where, especially when the 5th amendment is still sorta viable.
im no lawyer though...

Kelly.
02-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Not in this case.

In this case the man remained guilty even after proving himself innocent.
negative. the man self incriminated by saying he had a drink before driving. he admitted it.

i do agree that this shouldnt be a crime (no victim = no crime) but as it stands today, he did this to himself.

yet ANOTHER example of why to never talk to police.
a simple "i dont want to answer any questions without a lawyer present" usually works.