PDA

View Full Version : Tim Scott succeeds at historically black college where Rand Paul failed

pulp8721
02-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Despite being appointed to the United States Senate just a year ago, Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) is already shaking up the Republican Party.
And, as Scott demonstrated during a speech Tuesday at a historically black college in Washington, D.C., he has the ability to succeed at changing minds about the GOP where others have failed.

“I always thought that African-Americans were mainly just Democrats,” Deja White, a junior at Howard, told Red Alert Politics. “I was close-minded to the whole Republican thing, but the way he was raised, his mentor and the things he believed in … I’m big on those aspects. It made me relate to him.”
Scott visited Howard University, which is categorized as one of America’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities, to discuss his ideas about education reform and tell students about his journey from small-business owner to United States senator.
Scott detailed his background to a crowd of more than 50 students at the university’s business school. Raised by a single mother, the South Carolina Republican was flunking high school — and is likely the only senator to fail civics — as a freshman before a mentor, an owner of a local Chik-Fil-A, stepped in.

According to Scott, he was heading in the wrong direction. But with the guidance of his mother, who showed her love through the end of a switch, he jokes, and his mentor, Scott put his life back on track.
His story is one that resonates with Howard students.
“Every time I think of Republicans, I think of the rich,” Asia Stevens, a 22-year-old senior, told Red Alert Politics. “In his case, he came from the background we came from.”
The South Carolina conservative, who assumed office in January 2013, is the second Republican to visit the campus since the 2012 presidential election, following Sen. Rand Paul’s (R-Ky.) speech (http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/04/10/students-open-but-skeptical-to-sen-rand-pauls-speech-on-civil-rights-at-howard-university/) in April 2013.

Though Paul’s reception from Howard students wasn’t unfriendly, he came under fire for appearing unprepared when it came to the students’ knowledge of Republicans’ participation in the Civil Rights movement and for butchering former Sen. Edward Brooke’s (R-Mass.) name.
Protesters also demonstrated at Paul’s speech and attempted to hang a sign stating “Howard University Doesn’t Support White Supremacy” before police removed them from the room.

While Paul’s decision to speak at Howard was called “bold” by students, it did little to change their minds about the Republican Party. Meanwhile, Scott’s ability to portray his upbringing in a way that was relatable left students rethinking the GOP.

“He made me more aware,” White said. “It makes me want to research what people actually believe in, not just based on what society portrays.”
Ra’Shawn Howard, a junior at Howard who attended both speeches, said Scott explained his political beliefs in a way Paul failed to do, especially when it came to the role of government and how it relates to Republican principles.

During his speech Scott told students why a big government is not always a functional government, particularly when it comes to spending. Howard said Scott’s explanation changed his perspective.
“Knowledge is power,” he said.

red alertpolitics.com/2014/02/25/after-howard-university-speech-tim-scott-succeeds-where-rand-paul-failed/

eleganz
02-26-2014, 11:12 PM
retarded. headline says he failed but article says "weren't unfriendly"

Crashland
02-26-2014, 11:12 PM
I'm thinking there might be a mixed reaction to this here on RPF, but I would recommend caution on being quick to judge the different reactions to Paul and Scott at Howard. I don't think it is necessarily all about race and there might be some things Rand can learn from this. Maybe there are things he can do differently from what he is doing now to more effectively engage African American communities. Or maybe there's just nothing he can do about it because of his race, but in any case I think we should always be looking for ways to open more ears. Rand didn't really "fail" like this article is saying, but it appears Scott was more well-received.

Brett85
02-26-2014, 11:19 PM
And all of this is based on what one college student said.

Spikender
02-27-2014, 03:30 AM
Protesters also demonstrated at Paul’s speech and attempted to hang a sign stating “Howard University Doesn’t Support White Supremacy” before police removed them from the room.

I believe I remember reading about that when Rand went to speak...

I'm not sure it was Rand who failed them so much as them failing to read up on Rand's positions. It's probably just that he's with the Republican Party, therefore he automatically is a racist in their eyes.

Either way, glad to hear that someone is waking them up.

philipped
02-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Simple way of looking at things: They like Tim Scott more because he was black and grew up rough like some students in attendance.

Better way of looking at things: Rand didn't execute his positions and how they can relate to people in attendance. Tim Scott just did a better job, Rand should ask Tim for some assistance next time he goes in front of this crowd, especially if he's going to go to the NAACP and talk about EFZ's and other things that African-American's can benefit from.

Besides Rand, Ted and Mike, Tim Scott is my next favorite Senator. It's good to hear that SOME in the GOP are working towards turning it into a 21st century party. Let's hope it works by the time 2016 comes.

Inkblots
02-27-2014, 07:33 AM
While I don't like the characterization of Rand's visit as a "failure", I think if indeed Sen. Scott connected better with the students, we should take this as a learning opportunity for Rand and all of us working on minority outreach.

mosquitobite
02-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Simple way of looking at things: They like Tim Scott more because he was black and grew up rough like some students in attendance.

Better way of looking at things: Rand didn't execute his positions and how they can relate to people in attendance. Tim Scott just did a better job, Rand should ask Tim for some assistance next time he goes in front of this crowd, especially if he's going to go to the NAACP and talk about EFZ's and other things that African-American's can benefit from.

Besides Rand, Ted and Mike, Tim Scott is my next favorite Senator. It's good to hear that SOME in the GOP are working towards turning it into a 21st century party. Let's hope it works by the time 2016 comes.

Agree.

If you can't relate, you can't relate.

Sounds to me like Tim Scott is a Frederick Douglass Republican. :)

TonySutton
02-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Or one could say Rand opened the door for other Republicans.

See how easy it is to describe the same event in a different light. I guess it all depends on who you are trying to prop up and who you are trying to pull down.

philipped
02-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Or one could say Rand opened the door for other Republicans.

See how easy it is to describe the same event in a different light. I guess it all depends on who you are trying to prop up and who you are trying to pull down.
Ahhh, the beauty of wording.

boneyard bill
02-27-2014, 09:12 AM
While I don't like the characterization of Rand's visit as a "failure", I think if indeed Sen. Scott connected better with the students, we should take this as a learning opportunity for Rand and all of us working on minority outreach.

Yes. The article is somewhat biased in categorizing Rand's appearance as a failure. In fact, as I recall, Rand's appearance got generally favorable press coverage with only a brief mention of the possibility that he might not have connected with the audience very well. But Scott did much better. Of course, he would. For one thing, he's black just as his audience is and for another, he had a compelling story from his childhood that Paul's middle-class upbringing couldn't match.