PDA

View Full Version : NC: Student mistakenly jailed after calling 911 to report dead body.

phill4paul
02-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Never call.........

DURHAM, N.C. — A 20-year-old sophomore communications major at North Carolina Central University, Lewis James Little sat in the Durham County jail for a month last year after he did what he says he thought was the right thing.

He and some friends had been visiting the home of a childhood friend on Melbourne Street in east Durham on the night of June 21, 2013, when, he says, they discovered 25-year-old Michael Lee dead in the middle of the road.

"I called the police – when none of the other guys were even thinking about it – trying to do the right thing, and it pretty much started from there," Lewis said.

Twenty minutes after officers arrived, he was handcuffed and later jailed under a $1.425 million bond on burglary, kidnapping and several other criminal charges in connection with a break-in at a nearby home.

"You can do good your whole life and like that, (you're in jail under) a million-dollar bond," he said. "It was kind of like a dream. I kept waking up, like, 'I can't believe I'm in here.' I kind of felt defeated."

Then, on July 15, a corrections officer told him he was free to go. The Durham prosecutor working the case dropped the charges and apologized to Little.

A witness inside the home had identified Little as one of three men who broke in, but statements to police called into question that identification, authorities say.

"You can assume a lot just from looking at my face and dreads. I was in basketball shorts and flip flops," Little said. "Something like that happening to them – I can kind of understand that maybe they would jump to conclusions."

Arrest's stigma continues for Little

Little had been wrongly accused, and even though the case was dismissed, the damage was already done. Since then, he says, he has had issues finding both housing and employment.

For proof, he just has to search his name on the Internet, where his mug shot and numerous stories about his arrest show up, including one on WRAL.com.

"I feel ashamed about it, because I don't want to be known as that," he said. "It's up there, and there's no taking it back."

Knowing what he knows now, Little says that if he had to do it again, he would have ignored the dead body in the street.

"I felt like it was the right thing to do (by calling police)," Little said. "I did it, and I suffered from it."

Little's experience not uncommon

Irving Joyner, a law professor at North Carolina Central University, says Little's experience isn't unlike that of other black people who have encounters with police.

"His resemblance to the person who actually did it or what information was provided to the officer was probably a catalyst in what happened to him," Joyner said.

That's partly why, he says, people won't report crimes, cooperate or answer police questions.

"They don't want to run the risk that they'll end up being the target of an investigation. It's a valid fear that people have," Joyner said. "People often have this notion that, if it is an African-American young person, it is highly likely that they participated in the crime, if they were anywhere physically close to it."

Little wants to keep moving forward

But Joyner says there aren't many legal options for Little and that any kind of lawsuit against police would likely fail.

"The opportunities for redress are limited in these situations," he said. "The law protects police officers. The theory is you don't want to have police subject to lawsuits every time they do something."

A more successful option would be for Little to get his record expunged, and while he is considering the option, Little says he doesn't think the burden should be on him to clear his name.

While what happened angers him, Little says, he isn't going to let it cloud his vision for the future.

"Holding onto the anger every day doesn't get you anywhere, so most definitely, I'm mad, but I still have other stuff going on," he said. "So, I have to balance that, and keep moving forward."

http://www.wral.com/nccu-sophomore-mistakenly-jailed-for-doing-the-right-thing-/13431855/

CaptUSA
02-26-2014, 08:16 PM
"I called the police First mistake. He obviously doesn't visit this site.

Anti Federalist
02-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Once you are in the prison matrix, you're fucked.

Do. Not. Call. Cops.

Ever.

For. Anything.

Irving Joyner, a law professor at North Carolina Central University, says Little's experience isn't unlike that of other black people who have encounters with police.

Snew
02-26-2014, 08:47 PM
"Durham's finest" once again :mad:

aGameOfThrones
02-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Knowing what he knows now, Little says that if he had to do it again, he would have ignored the dead body in the street.

New Organization:

Dead Corpses Against Ignoring the Dead or DCAID

Mani
02-26-2014, 11:45 PM
I can't rep you for this thread, I'm all out of rep for you.

But this story is an EXCELLENT reason why you should never contact the police. You have nothing to hide, you have done know wrong, you are polite and kind to officers, you want to do the right thing.

And yet you could still sit in prison for a month and have your record mistakenly screwed up and it could haunt you for the rest of your life. Job after job, application after application.

KCIndy
02-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Then, on July 15, a corrections officer told him he was free to go. The Durham prosecutor working the case dropped the charges and apologized to Little.

A witness inside the home had identified Little as one of three men who broke in, but statements to police called into question that identification, authorities say.

This is the part that really surprised me. A lot of prosecutors would have gone ahead and stolen the guy's life just to rack up another notch in their prosecution record.

acptulsa
02-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Well, if someone made you put down your donut and go look at a dead body, wouldn't you be upset with him?

angelatc
02-28-2014, 12:23 PM
A more successful option would be for Little to get his record expunged, and while he is considering the option, Little says he doesn't think the burden should be on him to clear his name.

Yes maybe he is right. But reality is that you can't erase the internet. His best bet would be to legally get his name changed, so that Google wouldn't pick up the news items.

angelatc
02-28-2014, 12:25 PM

Do. Not. Call. Cops.

Ever.

For. Anything.

I knew a guy who was partying in a hotel room when one of the people there OD'd. They called 911 and left. For years I thought that was the most callous thing I could think of, but now I would likely do the same thing.

helmuth_hubener
02-28-2014, 12:30 PM
First mistake. He obviously doesn't visit this site.

Do. Not. Call. Cops.

Ever.

For. Anything.
I understand the sentiment, guys. But sometimes, that's not reasonable.

If I came across a dead body, I would call the cops. I don't think it's reasonable advice to tell people to not call the cops when they find dead bodies.

acptulsa
02-28-2014, 12:34 PM

If I came across a dead body, I would call the cops. I don't think it's reasonable advice to tell people to not call the cops when they find dead bodies.

It has long been a 'damned if you don't' situation. Now it has become a 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' situation.

This business of not expunging arrest records when people were found innocent is recent and pervasive. It's also just plain wrong. People look at me funny when I say this nation was more civilized forty years ago than it is now. Yes, there were problems we had then that we've made progress toward solving since. But there are also plenty of things like this that were done better then. And if we don't talk about them, no one will.

phill4paul
02-28-2014, 12:41 PM

If you do at least do it from a public phone and make sure that nothing about you can be linked to that particular area. Do not carry your cell phone with you. Do not park nearby. Wipe the phone down afterwards. Do wear a cap low with sunglasses.

Dianne
02-28-2014, 01:52 PM
North Carolina is a state completely controlled by attorney's and the Judges always believe what they say. There is no such thing as a crooked attorney in North Carolina, according to North Carolina and the Administrative Office of Court (AOC) that allows them to run like rabid dogs This kid is very lucky the charges were dropped, as otherwise he would probably spend the rest of his life in prison if the D.A. did not want to admit the mistake.

KCIndy
02-28-2014, 02:48 PM

I'm going to ask you a question. Please understand I'm asking it with the greatest sincerity. I'm NOT trying to "troll" you with this. I understand where you're coming from. Calling the police in the case described really seems, at first glance, to be a no-brainer.

But stop and consider this for a minute.

If you came across a dead body and you knew the price you would pay for reporting the body would be spending a month in jail - complete with the strip searches, lousy food, lack of privacy, and some truly detestable company - would you still do it?

That's the price this man paid up front. I'm not even going to discuss how this false arrest is going to dog him for the rest of his life.

All in all, it seems like an awful high price to pay for "doing the right thing." :(

devil21
02-28-2014, 03:43 PM
It's also a crime to fail to report a death. Can't win.

phill4paul
02-28-2014, 03:55 PM
It's also a crime to fail to report a death. Can't win.

"I thought he was sleeping in some spilled red paint..."

helmuth_hubener
02-28-2014, 04:50 PM
I'm going to ask you a question. Please understand I'm asking it with the greatest sincerity....
If you came across a dead body and you knew the price you would pay for reporting the body would be spending a month in jail - complete with the strip searches, lousy food, lack of privacy, and some truly detestable company - would you still do it? I first wrote that no, I wouldn't. But now thinking about it, if it looked to me like the person had been murdered, and thus calling early might give a greater chance of finding the culprit, then yes, I would. In real life I would follow phill4paul's advice or something like it to try to insulate myself from risk if I thought there was a fair possibility of being falsely arrested, but in your scenario avoiding arrest by tactics wasn't a possibility -- it was a certainty I would spend a month in jail.

So it would depend on whether, in my judgment, a murder had occurred. If so, I would think it worth a month of my time and misery to try to help the victim's family out. If not, what's done is done, there's nothing to do and it's not worth it.

All in all, it seems like an awful high price to pay for "doing the right thing." :( I agree, of course. It's completely outrageous and unacceptable. In any civilized system, those responsible would have to pay him handsomely and do all they could to restore his good name. Beyond just expunging -- I'm talking newspaper ads, TV spots, a whole PR campaign. Instead, nothing. That's the real outrage.

In any justice system, there will be mistakes made. We are only human. But to make an egregious mistake like this, and have everyone agree that the mistake was made, including yourself, and not to have to pay out and make it right? That stinks to high heaven.

phill4paul
03-10-2014, 06:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RNTJoAB.png