PDA

View Full Version : Professor Tells Congress: America at 'Constitutional Tipping Point'

CaseyJones
02-26-2014, 05:16 PM
http://freebeacon.com/the-imperial-presidency/

Members of Congress and constitutional law experts testified before the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, warning that the legislative branch is in danger of ceding its power in the face of an “imperial presidency.”

The hearing, “Enforcing the President’s Constitutional Duty to Faithfully Execute the Laws,” focused on the multiple areas President Barack Obama has bypassed Congress, ranging from healthcare and immigration to marriage and welfare rules.

Jonathan Turley, Shapiro Professor of Public Interest Law at George Washington University, testified that the expansion of executive power is happening so fast that America is at a “constitutional tipping point.”

“My view [is] that the president, has in fact, exceeded his authority in a way that is creating a destabilizing influence in a three branch system,” he said. “I want to emphasize, of course, this problem didn’t begin with President Obama, I was critical of his predecessor President Bush as well, but the rate at which executive power has been concentrated in our system is accelerating. And frankly, I am very alarmed by the implications of that aggregation of power.”

“What also alarms me, however, is that the two other branches appear not just simply passive, but inert in the face of this concentration of authority,” Turley said.

mad cow
02-26-2014, 05:40 PM
“What also alarms me, however, is that the two other branches appear not just simply passive, but inert in the face of this concentration of authority,” Turley said.

What alarms me is that the other two branches appear to be willing and eager partners in this concentration of authority.

twomp
02-26-2014, 05:53 PM
What alarms me is that the other two branches appear to be willing and eager partners in this concentration of authority.

What alarms me is that there seems to be someone or a group of people behind all of these people pushing this concentration of authority. It's the only plausible reason why things remain the same even when the people in power change.

twomp
02-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Must be nice for the government and it's corporate media to always have a finger to point at. Vandalism? must be those activists in OWS. Hacked on the internet? Must be those hacktivists in Anonymous. All the while, the biggest criminals in the government just keep on trucking along while people hone in on the citizens. Hoping that the government will protect them from these "big bad guys".

purplechoe
02-26-2014, 06:26 PM
What alarms me is that there seems to be someone or a group of people behind all of these people pushing this concentration of authority. It's the only plausible reason why things remain the same even when the people in power change.

And it's been happening for generations, it must be some kind of conspiracy I tell you and someone wrote a book about it...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/7133/7133-h/images/bookcover.jpg

http://www.cuttingthroughthematrix.com/images/greatcon3-372x248.jpe

Dianne
02-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Hopefully this means, we have legal grounds to overthrow the government ...

Deborah K
02-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Here's Turley on Fox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkpA3Bzm5PA

Turley is left-leaning ftr.

Christopher A. Brown
02-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Article V;

"The people are the rightful masters of the congress and the courts. Not to overthrow the government, but to overthrow the men who try to pervert the constitution".

Here the fears of Article V are addressed.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?444637-Georgia-House-approves-Article-V-convention&p=5433668&viewfull=1#post5433668

Anti Federalist
02-26-2014, 09:55 PM

As other Republics have fallen to Empire in the past, if history any guide, this is what usually happens.

HOLLYWOOD
02-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Here's Turley on Fox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkpA3Bzm5PA

Turley is left-leaning ftr. @ 1:35, Megan Kelly,
We heard a lot of objections when President Bush expanded the powers of the presidency from the left and media. They haven't been raising the same objections now that we have a Democrat in the White House.

Judge Napolitano touched on this, just last week, stating the GOP (politicians on Capital Hill gave Bush/Presidency more powers during his first term Iraq War/Terrorism/Etc)

Now that government abuse and Constitutional violations are on steroids, people blame Obama, when it was the NEOCONS/Republicans/Establishment Lifer politicians that enabled this situation. The politicians are for sale, they are prostitutes and have sold this country out to the highest campaign donors and powerful special interest groups

The country will continue to descend, as liberties and freedoms are infringed and oppression gets worse. Don't look for it to get any better as long as Americans are preoccupied with BS entertainment, partisan divide, bigotry, race, creed, economic, social status divide continues. You know, all the things of those in charge/control, push, to keep the people divided and weak.

belian78
02-27-2014, 12:13 AM
And what, pray tell, good would it do to worry about the legality of an action according to the entity that we were overthrowing? Sorry, not diggin at ya, I just think that if it that were upon us, what they thought of it would be the last of our worries.

jtap
02-27-2014, 07:49 AM
“What also alarms me, however, is that the two other branches appear not just simply passive, but inert in the face of this concentration of authority,”

What alarms me is...well...nothing anymore.

Christopher A. Brown
02-27-2014, 11:55 AM
What alarms me is...well...nothing anymore.

What about the lack of reasonable focus on solution?

Deborah K
02-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Congress intends to file a lawsuit against the executive branch, if Obama doesn't stop wielding his pen. But there's apprehension because the courts don't like litigation that involves other branches of the gov't. And then there's the question of how to enforce a ruling against his pen wielding.

You've probably heard that Holder told all State Attnys General that they are not obligated to enforce laws they don't agree with. http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/022614-691398-holder-tells-states-not-enforce-laws.htm

So, between Obama and Holder, we now have a new precedent being set that laws don't really matter anymore.

Deborah K
02-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Government is rapidly turning into a police state ready to enforce the will of the powers that be. Better get ready.

http://i62.tinypic.com/w6tk7t.jpg

DamianTV
02-28-2014, 04:49 PM
I hate to say this but perhaps we need MORE Police State abuse. I really really hope I am completely wrong about that.

So many of these pussified people in the world that continuously call out for a Police State need to get exactly what they ask for, and all the horrors that come along with it. I think that may be the turning point when they realize that not only have their wishes been granted, but they were horrid wishes to begin with. When they feel the wrath of being violated, it might be enough to wake them up, but if not, there is nothing that will get people to change their minds. This is all said with the assumption that Tyranny and Liberty are Cyclical, and with hope that if the demands of boobus can change to support Liberty over oppression that we can even return to any sense of "Land of the Free".

jtap
03-03-2014, 08:17 AM

There are too few who care. The majority are too busy watching reality tv and if they happen to see it, believing what government's propaganda machine tells them.

jtap
03-03-2014, 08:20 AM
I hate to say this but perhaps we need MORE Police State abuse. I really really hope I am completely wrong about that.

So many of these pussified people in the world that continuously call out for a Police State need to get exactly what they ask for, and all the horrors that come along with it. I think that may be the turning point when they realize that not only have their wishes been granted, but they were horrid wishes to begin with. When they feel the wrath of being violated, it might be enough to wake them up, but if not, there is nothing that will get people to change their minds. This is all said with the assumption that Tyranny and Liberty are Cyclical, and with hope that if the demands of boobus can change to support Liberty over oppression that we can even return to any sense of "Land of the Free".

You probably are right, sadly. The hard part will be those of us that don't want the police state being able to avoid getting caught up in this.

Bungeebones
03-03-2014, 10:06 AM

The "group of people behind all of these people" is called the "Federal Reserve". What else could possibly be the outcome of giving a group the power of God (i.e. to create money out of thin air)? Heck, a monkey could take over after been given that kind of power. This has been the writing on the wall since 1913 when the Fed was created.

mczerone
03-03-2014, 10:41 AM

1st - this is a contradictory desire. You may have moral grounds, populist grounds, or economic grounds. But while there's a state, there's never a way that the state would accept a legal argument to allow usurpation.

2nd - I'm not looking to "overthrow" anything. That term implies instituting a new power structure to replace the old.

osan
03-03-2014, 11:12 AM

What alarms me is it's been going on since at least the Civil War era and not a single effort to stop it has been successful.

Precedent as overwhelming as this tends to leave bleak our prospects. However, the establishment of internet technologies remains something of a wildcard. Nothing like this has existed before in our historical memory and this it represents a fundamental change in certain aspects of the ways in which people communicate. This may prove providential to the future of humanity's status as free individuals.

Only time will tell. That, and our resolve.

osan
03-03-2014, 11:14 AM

What does legality have to do with it? Waiting for legality is waiting for permission that will never come.

osan
03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
And it's been happening for generations, it must be some kind of conspiracy I tell you and someone wrote a book about it...

http://www.cuttingthroughthematrix.com/images/greatcon3-372x248.jpe

Available online free at Gutenberg as Vols. I and II

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7133

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7139

osan
03-03-2014, 11:43 AM

I have expressed this exact same sentiment many times. It is clear that things are not going to improve on their own and there is not enough discomfort with the status quo. It would therefore seem that the only remedy before us is to have Themme continue their press into our territories and hope that one day the fuze is going to light and people will no longer care about what Theye say because they will finally feel they have nothing to lose by fighting back.

This is all said with the assumption that Tyranny and Liberty are Cyclical, and with hope that if the demands of boobus can change to support Liberty over oppression that we can even return to any sense of "Land of the Free".

More precisely, "have been to date". Technology may change this. Until only recently in our history, less than 100 years, humanity has had to rely on individual memory and the written accounts of what happened, why, how, and so forth, leaving tons of room for opinion to be surreptitiously masqueraded as facts. With the advent, advance, and now common presence of video technologies, coupled with those of internet communication, the wiggle room has been greatly narrowed. Yes, baloney editorializing can and still takes place, but at least there are now literally billions of potential sources of credible corroborating or refuting information, something that never before existed. This has changed the fabric of our daily lives notably. Deceit still exists, but at least the possibility also exists to uncover it whereas in ages past it was highly limited at best. But no matter how great the technology, people must be of a minimal personal character sufficient to objectively qualify them as Free Men. While this requires some nominal intelligence, most importantly it requires and attitude and the determination to use that with which God gifted you to the best possible effect and to stand intolerant of violation.

To that end I have returned to my "Constitution" project, though am no longer calling it that. My work, I have decided, is not a Constitution at all as this term denotes and connotes things with which I vehemently disagree. The world has been retitled and I will be publishing it here, first, starting with the Preamble the First Principles. I have, for example, discovered a few very tiny yet important discontinuities in the reasoning of the Canon of Individual Sovereignty and have endeavored to close them. I think I have succeeded, but perhaps you all will chime in.

This is my way of getting off my ass and offering to the people of this still-good land of ours a way of thinking that most definitely can defeat the Tyrant. The only question to remain in the absence of the excuse of ignorance being whether they will embrace the right attitude and endeavor to act. Over that, I have no control.

Pericles
03-03-2014, 12:47 PM

We always have - it is called the Constitution - the purpose of the 1A, 2A, etc., is to provide to mechanism by which we can alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect our safety and happiness.

Ender
03-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Congress intends to file a lawsuit against the executive branch, if Obama doesn't stop wielding his pen. But there's apprehension because the courts don't like litigation that involves other branches of the gov't. And then there's the question of how to enforce a ruling against his pen wielding.

You've probably heard that Holder told all State Attnys General that they are not obligated to enforce laws they don't agree with. http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/022614-691398-holder-tells-states-not-enforce-laws.htm

So, between Obama and Holder, we now have a new precedent being set that laws don't really matter anymore.

This is not new- been going on since at least Lincoln.