PDA

View Full Version : Federal wood burning rule prompts rural backlash

aGameOfThrones
02-23-2014, 03:37 PM
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A federal proposal to clean up the smoke wafting from wood-burning stoves has sparked a backlash from some rural residents, lawmakers and manufacturers who fear it could close the damper on one of the oldest ways of warming homes on cold winter days.

Proposed regulations from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency would significantly reduce the amount of particle pollution allowed from the smokestacks of new residential wood-powered heaters.

Wood-burning stoves are a staple in rural homes in many states, a cheap heating source for low-income residents and others wanting to lessen their reliance on gas or electric furnaces. Outdoor models often cost several thousand dollars, but indoor stoves can cost as little as a few hundred dollars and sometimes double as fashionable centerpieces in homes.

Some manufacturers contend the EPA's proposed standards are so stringent that the higher production costs would either force them out of business or raise prices so high that many consumers could no longer afford their products.

"There's not a stove in the United States that can pass the test right now — this is the death knoll of any wood burning," Reg Kelly, the founder of Earth Outdoor Furnaces in Mountain Grove, told Missouri lawmakers during a recent hearing.

More than three dozen Missouri lawmakers have co-sponsored a bill that would symbolically fight back against the EPA by declaring that "All Missourians have a right to heat their homes and businesses using wood-burning furnaces, stoves, fireplaces and heaters."

View galleryDarwin Woods stokes the fire in the wood burning stove …
Darwin Woods stokes the fire in the wood burning stove that he uses to heat both his home and water …
This past week, a Missouri House committee endorsed a revised measure that proposes to ban state environmental officials from regulating residential wood heaters unless authorized by the Legislature.

Missouri appears to be one the first states to introduce legislation in response to the proposed EPA regulations. But concerns over wood-stove pollution and regulations also have been simmering in other states, including Utah and Alaska.

http://news.yahoo.com/federal-wood-burning-rule-prompts-rural-backlash-161516423.html

Anti Federalist
02-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Need to get on this in NH.

02-23-2014, 05:02 PM
and Maine. But I suspect no matter what the EPA says or does people here will just continue to use woodstoves and not really care.

Anti Federalist
02-23-2014, 05:07 PM
and Maine. But I suspect no matter what the EPA says or does people here will just continue to use woodstoves and not really care.

Until a few folks are SWAT raided and word gets out.

02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Until a few folks are SWAT raided and word gets out.

In Maine? :rolleyes:

My county doesn't even have a swat team.

oyarde
02-23-2014, 05:13 PM

Those Conservation officers do .

02-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Those Conservation officers do .

The warden service? Nope, just standard sidearms and shotguns. The forest rangers aren't even armed, although that is in the works.

There is no body armor and APCs here.

oyarde
02-23-2014, 05:40 PM
The warden service? Nope, just standard sidearms and shotguns. The forest rangers aren't even armed, although that is in the works.

There is no body armor and APCs here.
I did not even know there were rangers , yes it is the anal wardens I was speaking of . I have seen them barn storm places.

aGameOfThrones
02-23-2014, 05:47 PM
NEWS:

SWAT was serving a warrant over an unlawful wood stove

3 dead 2 injured in what is being called a normal search warrant that got out of hand. Police were serving a warrant for an unlawful wood stove when someone inside the house attempted to destroy evidence by burning wood in the wood stove, that's when police decided to enter and were attack by 2 pugs that were neutralize. Also, a man was killed when he complained about the dead pugs.

The real tragedy was when 2 police officers were injured when they suffered too much warmth.

JK/SEA
02-23-2014, 05:56 PM
let me see....freeze to death, or fight it out with a SWAT rape....er...raid...

pondering.....:rolleyes:

oyarde
02-23-2014, 06:01 PM
let me see....freeze to death, or fight it out with a SWAT rape....er...raid...

pondering.....:rolleyes:

I split wood today . I have no intention of freezing to death .My county does have a swat team......

CaptUSA
02-23-2014, 06:21 PM
There is perhaps no scent as sweet as the one you experience driving through the back country of the Alleghenies on a cold Autumn morning with the Jeep-top down; the smoke of the locals' wood burners wafting through the valleys. Must the State control everything?

Damn these planners.

Christopher A. Brown
02-23-2014, 06:31 PM
There is perhaps no scent as sweet as the one you experience driving through the back country of the Alleghenies on a cold Autumn morning with the Jeep-top down; the smoke of the locals' wood burners wafting through the valleys. Must the State control everything?

Damn these planners.

No, the state can't even control itself constitutionally. But if we don't do stuff as good as we can, it invites them to try. Planners are too dense for any thing 'cept butt kissing.

It will take time, but we can become more efficient and cleaner burning. Don't let these damm liberals show us up!

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

I suggest that people with the skills start building these for friends and neighbors. These things are about 8 times more work than a regular wood burner to build. However they are about 8 time more efficient too. No smoke, no fire hazard.

Imagine cutting 8 times less wood. Customers will like that. Small stuff works better. Slash piles will be perfect.

Because they are so much work to build, cost will be an issue. Also, a virtual addition is required to make it happen in most existing homes with a raised floor. In the long term it is worth it though.

The way to deal with the economics is have the customer pay for materials out front, then make payments on the labor.

If we weren't selling all of our scrap to China, much of what is needed could be scrounged. Lets see GATT rescinded while we are at it:-)

CaptUSA
02-23-2014, 07:24 PM
No, the state can't even control itself constitutionally. But if we don't do stuff as good as we can, it invites them to try. Planners are too dense for any thing 'cept butt kissing.

It will take time, but we can become more efficient and cleaner burning. Don't let these damm liberals show us up!

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

I suggest that people with the skills start building these for friends and neighbors. These things are about 8 times more work than a regular wood burner to build. However they are about 8 time more efficient too. No smoke, no fire hazard.

Imagine cutting 8 times less wood. Customers will like that. Small stuff works better. Slash piles will be perfect.

Because they are so much work to build, cost will be an issue. Also, a virtual addition is required to make it happen in most existing homes with a raised floor. In the long term it is worth it though.

The way to deal with the economics is have the customer pay for materials out front, then make payments on the labor.

If we weren't selling all of our scrap to China, much of what is needed could be scrounged. Lets see GATT rescinded while we are at it:-)

Yeah, my question was rather rhetorical.

Anyway, that stove heater looks pretty cool. I'm all about using your stuff more efficiently. I just don't think it's anyone's business how efficient you are.

Carson
02-23-2014, 07:43 PM
First I was thinking maybe ask for a jury trial.

Then I sort of figure what they want is you to abandon your life and turn yourself over to them if you get cold. They have a whole big central bank, banking on making loans for things like this.

I think they have a rule about making fires in the National Forest here. Someone told me you can't make one on the ground any longer. Someone else told me what you do is take an old washing machine with you to build your fire in it. The next time I was out in the woods I saw an abandoned washing machine.

How are you going to backpacking with one of those?

Anti Federalist
02-23-2014, 08:07 PM

No, but these guys sure do...

Maine State Police

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/special_units/tactical_team.html

In addition, the Tactical Team instructs students at the Maine Criminal Justice Academy, provides support to Federal agencies for Homeland Security issues and works in conjunction with other local, state and county law enforcement agencies.

No Knock for apprehension of a suspected wood burning terrorist.

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/images/100_3347.JPG

Hut Hut Hut Hut...

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/images/100_0066.JPG

oyarde
02-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Maine State Police

In addition, the Tactical Team instructs students at the Maine Criminal Justice Academy, provides support to Federal agencies for Homeland Security issues and works in conjunction with other local, state and county law enforcement agencies.

No Knock for apprehension of a noted wood burning terrorist.

Hut Hut Hut Hut...

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/images/100_0066.JPGWhat are they doing with that dog ?

Anti Federalist
02-23-2014, 08:11 PM
What are they doing with that dog ?

Going for a walk?

James Madison
02-23-2014, 08:14 PM

Playing Army.

Christopher A. Brown
02-23-2014, 08:16 PM
I just don't think it's anyone's business how efficient you are.

If we are in a closed building and I use a gas powered leaf blower to sweep up, your opinion will change. Maybe that's not the best example. but you'll get the point.

However, in the short term, you are correct. In the long term, we will have oppressive gov control breathing down our necks if we do not kick some butt and get as efficient as we possibly can eventually. Starting sooner is better than later.

I appreciate the feedback:-)

Carson
02-23-2014, 08:23 PM

He's got dibs on all the fetching sticks he can find in the confiscated wood?

donnay
02-23-2014, 08:27 PM

That's what all the bearcats are for. Then the drones will be in our skies to detect any smoke.

Pericles
02-23-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm net certain which office in the EPA devised these regulations, but, based on recent news reports, the EPA personnel are urgently needed in Ukraine.

Anti Federalist
02-23-2014, 08:30 PM
In the long term, we will have oppressive gov control breathing down our necks if we do not kick some butt and get as efficient as we possibly can eventually. Starting sooner is better than later.

That's going to happen regardless.

Those rocket stoves you posted will be illegal under these new rules.

The only butts that need to be kicked are FedCoat butts.

CaptUSA
02-23-2014, 08:36 PM
If we are in a closed building and I use a gas powered leaf blower to sweep up, your opinion will change. Maybe that's not the best example. but you'll get the point.

However, in the short term, you are correct. In the long term, we will have oppressive gov control breathing down our necks if we do not kick some butt and get as efficient as we possibly can eventually. Starting sooner is better than later.

I appreciate the feedback:-)

Yeah, I don't think you will ever become efficient enough to stave off those bastards. It's just not possible. You see, they aren't so much concerned with your efficiency as they are with you doing something outside of their control. But it's a nice thought.

axiomata
02-23-2014, 09:42 PM
I love camping in central Missouri on a chilly fall night for the same reason. Lots of rural wood heated homes willing to hook you up with a nights worth of firewood and let you partake of the outdoorsy countryside smell for free.

KCIndy
02-23-2014, 10:11 PM
http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/202653-header.jpg

YOUR CABIN IS SURROUNDED! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE OF ESCAPE!

DROP YOUR WEAPONS AND COME OUT WITH YOUR WOOD UP!!!

02-23-2014, 11:04 PM
I did not even know there were rangers , yes it is the anal wardens I was speaking of . I have seen them barn storm places.

The Maine game wardens? They ride around in pickups looking for poachers and bears in backyards. They don't kick in doors. Watch the show North woods law if you want to see what they do.

Maine State Police

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/special_units/tactical_team.html

No Knock for apprehension of a suspected wood burning terrorist.

Hut Hut Hut Hut...

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/images/100_0066.JPG

Ok so 19 militarized cops in the whole state. I'm not so worried about it. We probably have some of the least militarized cops in the country. Life is still good and safe here.

Anti Federalist
02-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Ok so 19 militarized cops in the whole state. I'm not so worried about it. We probably have some of the least militarized cops in the country. Life is still good and safe here.

I agree, I'm right over the border in the woods myself.

I'm trying to impress the fact that noise and pushback needs to happen here, if you and I both want to keep burning wood for heat.

When enforcement time comes they won't be looking for "wood burners" in downtown Manhattan or Houston or Chicago.

They'll be scouring the woods looking for guys just like us.

jbauer
02-24-2014, 10:47 AM
That's what all the bearcats are for. Then the drones will be in our skies to detect any smoke.

They're not after smoke. All they need to do is a quick infrared scan and can tell if you've got your stove going. Most wood fires aren't going to be letting off any smoke anyway.

ClydeCoulter
02-24-2014, 01:28 PM
One good sized forest fire burns more wood than all of the woodstoves during the season. And, it's none of their damned business.

Also, those rocket stoves aren't going heat a decent sized home in below zero weather. You'll have to feed the crap out of it continuously, and be sitting on it.

edit: And one more thing, what would those dead trees become if they aren't burnt, as far as gases and the like goes?

Keith and stuff
02-24-2014, 01:33 PM
More than three dozen Missouri lawmakers have co-sponsored a bill that would symbolically fight back against the EPA by declaring that "All Missourians have a right to heat their homes and businesses using wood-burning furnaces, stoves, fireplaces and heaters."

I like feel good measures like this. They don't technically do much but they do waste the time of the legislature. That means there is less time to pass bad bill.

Anti Federalist
02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
I like feel good measures like this. They don't technically do much but they do waste the time of the legislature. That means there is less time to pass bad bill.

I was hoping you'd check in here.

What can we do in NH to pass something more meaningful?

Nullification?

Keith and stuff
02-24-2014, 01:51 PM
I was hoping you'd check in here.

What can we do in NH to pass something more meaningful?

Nullification?
Sorry, I know very little about this issue. I know several people with wood stoves and none of them have ever talked with me about this. The soonest a NH bill on this can be debated up is January 2015. So after the November 2014 elections (for those newly elected, a couple months earlier for those already serving), we could look into the federal rules, what other states are doing and try to get a bi-partisan group of reps to propose a feel good statement like this or any actual bill, if the federal rules are really a big deal.

There was a NH bill last year to increase state regulations on wood stoves but most people laughed at it. It failed in the NH House 338 to 9. There is a roll call so you can see the 9 reps out of the 400 reps in NH that were ignorant enough to support it.

Burdwood, Greg Democrat Strafford 17 Nay
Cali-Pitts, Jacqueline Democrat Rockingham 30 Nay
Chase, Cynthia Democrat Cheshire 08 Nay
Miller, David Democrat Strafford 23 Nay
Phillips, Larry Democrat Cheshire 05 Nay
Reed, Dennis Republican Merrimack 02 Nay
Schmidt, Peter Democrat Strafford 19 Nay
Spang, Judith Democrat Strafford 06 Nay
Takesian, Charlene Republican Hillsborough 37 Nay
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_Status/Roll_calls/rc_yeahnay.aspx?yn=2&sy=2013&vs=27&lb=H&eb=HB0307&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2013&txttitle=stove&ddlsponsors=&lsr=675

08/03

HOUSE BILL 307

AN ACT relative to the removal of certain wood stoves upon the sale of a home and notification of such removal to the department of environmental services.

SPONSORS: Rep. P. Schmidt, Straf 19; Rep. Cali-Pitts, Rock 30; Rep. Chase, Ches 8

COMMITTEE: Science, Technology and Energy

ANALYSIS

This bill requires the removal of certain wood stoves upon the sale of a home and notification of such removal to the department of environmental services.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2013/HB0307.html

Danke
02-24-2014, 01:59 PM
I agree, I'm right over the border in the woods myself.

I'm trying to impress the fact that noise and pushback needs to happen here, if you and I both want to keep burning wood for heat.

When enforcement time comes they won't be looking for "wood burners" in downtown Manhattan or Houston or Chicago.

They'll be scouring the woods looking for guys just like us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b_gmO7AJS4&feature=player_embedded

ronpaulhawaii
02-24-2014, 02:11 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/p235x350/1798747_10152296091277953_794519434_n.jpg

Danke
02-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Molon labe

Pericles
02-24-2014, 02:15 PM

This is why the Texas legislature is only allowed to meet for 120 days once every two years. We have enough laws already. In fact, our problem is we have too many laws, and they are supposed to be using their 120 days to repeal laws.

Cowlesy
02-24-2014, 04:00 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/p235x350/1798747_10152296091277953_794519434_n.jpg

Isn't it just crazy? A relative purchased the last of a pre-EPA model outdoor wood stove from a merchant near where he lives. The guy is going to stop selling the stoves altogether, because the new ones are absolutely atrocious to try and keep running; like any little thing will clog the filters/scrubbers, to the point you'd have to have a professional come work on it. Meanwhile the one he got, you put wood in it once or twice a day, and the whole house is heated/water/etc for the ENTIRE DAY. Real easy maintenance.

This is a *prime* example of environmental lobbyists working with their DC lawyer friends to push federal agencies to pass rules/regs about which NONE of the people doing so have any clue about the problems they'll cause. Prime example.

CaptUSA
02-24-2014, 09:39 PM

You can have my wood burner when you pry it from my cold dead f... AHH! Fuck! That fucker's HOT!!!

tangent4ronpaul
02-24-2014, 11:12 PM

You poor, deprived sole... Could we give you ours?

-t

Christopher A. Brown
02-25-2014, 01:47 AM
Actually, the new rules will probably be modified to only allow rocket mass heaters if some one is cited under the ordinary wood stove ban.
Engineering documentation showing the lack of emissions will be, or all ready is available but the EPA doesn't know about it. Legal recourse using such fact should work as a defense and wise up the EPA at the same time.

Antifed wrote:
"Those rocket stoves you posted will be illegal under these new rules."

Really, the plethora of problems such as this are not needed for focus. Yes we should know of them. However much larger problems as well as these can be solved and comprehensive solution is truly worthy of our focus.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?444929-Do-COS-and-ALEC-Really-Want-An-Article-V-Convention-with-Constitutional-Intent&p=5431250#post5431250

See the XL pipeline thread to understand how badly the EPA was thwarted in the gulf BP spill. They were limited to "telling BP" to not spray corexit. If US law was in authority there would be an "order" issued and swat teams stopping planes at airports from flying with corexit with criminal indictments upon multinational corporations would have been in the the headlines.

jbauer
02-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Isn't it just crazy? A relative purchased the last of a pre-EPA model outdoor wood stove from a merchant near where he lives. The guy is going to stop selling the stoves altogether, because the new ones are absolutely atrocious to try and keep running; like any little thing will clog the filters/scrubbers, to the point you'd have to have a professional come work on it. Meanwhile the one he got, you put wood in it once or twice a day, and the whole house is heated/water/etc for the ENTIRE DAY. Real easy maintenance.

This is a *prime* example of environmental lobbyists working with their DC lawyer friends to push federal agencies to pass rules/regs about which NONE of the people doing so have any clue about the problems they'll cause. Prime example.

Thought this wasn't law yet? We just moved and didn't take ours with. Was that a mistake?

Anti Federalist
02-25-2014, 07:43 AM
Thought this wasn't law yet? We just moved and didn't take ours with. Was that a mistake?

I thought maybe so, but there are still plenty here for instance:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Fireplace-Hearth-Freestanding-Stoves-Wood-Burning-Stoves/N-5yc1vZc4ls

ClydeCoulter
02-25-2014, 09:02 AM

There are already laws about the manufacture of wood stoves, but the new laws will make it even worse.

If all of these laws take effect, then wood stoves will start to become useless, if you can only get those wood stoves that obey the laws. Maybe someone will come up with a way to make one that doesn't need continuous maintenance and feeding, but it would be hard.

Matt Collins
02-25-2014, 10:24 AM
(click for larger image)

Matt Collins
02-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Here is Thomas fighting for our rights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N88Grg2iV4

Cowlesy
02-25-2014, 10:46 AM

You're probably fine. I think the kind he got isn't manufactured anymore, because of the regulations (takes a while for businesses to re-tool operations, so they try and get ahead of this stuff). It was one of those that are like $6,000-$8,000, and have a buried pipe that connects through the basement of your house to deliver the heat. The thing is, you can burn pretty much anything in it, and it takes very little maintenance. The ones replacing the one he has, are almost impossible to maintain from what the store owner told him, so he wont' sell them.

jbauer
02-25-2014, 10:55 AM
You're probably fine. I think the kind he got isn't manufactured anymore, because of the regulations (takes a while for businesses to re-tool operations, so they try and get ahead of this stuff). It was one of those that are like $6,000-$8,000, and have a buried pipe that connects through the basement of your house to deliver the heat. The thing is, you can burn pretty much anything in it, and it takes very little maintenance. The ones replacing the one he has, are almost impossible to maintain from what the store owner told him, so he wont' sell them.

Oh I know what he's talking about. Can you not buy the old style boiler anymore?

oyarde
02-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Oh I know what he's talking about. Can you not buy the old style boiler anymore?

Two of my Son In Laws have those , I must admit that I kind of envy the size of the door on those things . Would cut down on some of my wood splitting :)

Anti Federalist
02-26-2014, 01:27 PM
////

osan
02-26-2014, 01:35 PM

Then you miss the main point of the requirement, which is to provide yet another legal pretext to interfere in the affairs of those people who become "persons of interest" to those with the guns and the unflinching will to use them.

02-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Then you miss the main point of the requirement, which is to provide yet another legal pretext to interfere in the affairs of those people who become "persons of interest" to those with the guns and the unflinching will to use them.

That is just not going to happen. First off we just don't have the goon squads with guns here. Just about nobody here is going to turn in anyone for using a wood stove and Lepage is against the new EPA regs. Quote at the bottom of article.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/02/21/business/maine-wood-stove-manufacturer-dealer-say-new-emission-standards-will-drive-up-costs-thwarting-desired-effect/?ref=search

osan
02-26-2014, 05:45 PM
That is just not going to happen. First off we just don't have the goon squads with guns here. Just about nobody here is going to turn in anyone for using a wood stove and Lepage is against the new EPA regs. Quote at the bottom of article.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/02/21/business/maine-wood-stove-manufacturer-dealer-say-new-emission-standards-will-drive-up-costs-thwarting-desired-effect/?ref=search

Come now, you're not that naive, so I must conclude that you have neglected to give this it's due consideration. To assert you ahve no goon squads, presumably in Maine, is simply not true. Every state in the Union has federal presence. We don't have "goon squads" here in WV either, yet four armed men entered on my property 2 years ago, loaded, unlocked, and very much ready to shoot me dead on an arrest warrant for someone else. They failed the due-diligence test miserably, and conducted absolutely no tactical assessment of the situation here, but did that stop them? Hell no. Just doing their jobs. Just following orders. Hmmm... where've we heard that one before?

To assert that such a law would never be used as a hook with which to grab up someone whom Theye feel needed grabbing, regardless of what they may or may not have done, is not even slightly credible in the wake of just the past 20 years of American history alone. Start attracting the wrong sorts of attention and Theye will actively seek a valid pretext upon which they may arrest and keep you for as long as possible. I have had first hand experiences with this where the "authorities", having failed to get what they wanted from me, they positively, feverishly, and obviously sought to find something on which they could hold me. They failed, but it could have been very different.

Anti Federalist
03-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Moving backwards: Northeasterners turn to burning wood for power

http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/17/moving-backwards-northeasterners-turn-to-burning-wood-for-power/#ixzz2wFdjMb2f

Americans living in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic U.S. are increasingly turning to a source of heat favored by humans for thousands of years: wood.

More and more people are using wood as their main source of heat as opposed to heating oil and kerosene.

The Energy Information Administration reports that, “All nine states in the New England and the Middle Atlantic Census divisions saw at least a 50% jump from 2005 to 2012 in the number of households that rely on wood as the main heating source.”

Those who switched to wood burning were spared high fuel oil and kerosene prices during this year’s harsh winter.

About 2.5 million households across the country now use wood as the main source of heat in their homes, up from 1.9 million households in 2005. And another 9 million households burn wood as a secondary fuel source for heating.

Millions of families faced skyrocketing energy prices as record low temperatures and snowfall hit much of the country. The U.S.’s constrained pipeline system could not keep up with the demand for propane and natural gas, causing prices to surge and utilities to burn oil and coal for power.

Midwesterners are expected to pay 54 percent more this winter on propane than last, reports EIA, and Northeasterners are expected to spend 7 percent more. Those who live in areas fueled by natural gas will pay 10 percent more this year and five percent more for electricity.

“Cold temperatures have continued to tighten heating oil supplies and helped drive up retail prices,” according to EIA. “Weekly U.S. residential heating oil prices increased by $0.20/gal during January and have averaged near $4.24/gal since the beginning of February.”

But EIA adds that heating oil prices will probably average about one percent lower this winter than last because of lower crude oil prices. Though natural gas spot prices hit record levels during periods of extreme cold.

But what this winter’s severe price swings demonstrate is the danger of over-reliance on one fuel source, says the coal industry. While low-priced natural gas is a good source of fuel overall, gas-fired plants have trouble operating in cold weather — which coal plants have make up.

This winter, gas-fired power plants failed due to cold weather and federal regulations that make it nearly impossible to burn coal.

“This year’s historically cold winter has served as a crystal ball into our future, revealing the energy cost and electric reliability threats posed by the Obama Administration’s overreliance on a more narrow fuel source portfolio that excludes the use of coal,” said Laura Sheehan, spokeswoman for the American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity.