PDA

View Full Version : Same-sex marriage could lead to a parent claiming marriage to his/her kid to gain tax benefits

aGameOfThrones
02-22-2014, 08:29 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Republican Senate candidate in Kentucky said that same-sex marriage could lead to a parent claiming marriage to his or her child to gain tax benefits and other privileges.

Bevin told a Christian radio program hosted by Janet Mefferd: "If it's all right to have same-sex marriages, why not define a marriage — because at the end of the day, a lot of this ends up being taxes and who can visit who in the hospital, and there's other repercussions and things that come with this —so a person may want to define themselves as being married to one of their children so that they could then in fact pass on certain things to that child financially and otherwise."

"Where do you draw the line?" he said. "And if, in fact, a person can arbitrarily draw it here, why not could someone else draw it arbitrarily draw it somewhere else?"

Bevin spokeswoman Rachel Semmel said Bevin was not connecting gay marriage with incest. She said he was speaking of questions such as "hospital visitations and benefits."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gay-marriage-issue-flares-kentucky-180623486.html

kpitcher
02-23-2014, 01:31 AM
If the kid is over 18 perhaps. Wonder about those states that allow marriages younger with parental consent. Really weird that some states allow girls to marry younger with consent than guys.

Really stretching his arguments... Inheritance taxes for parents / kids didn't really hit until over 2 million. A simple living will handles the hospitals just fine.

Antischism
02-23-2014, 03:37 AM
Matt Bevin is an idiot.

DamianTV
02-23-2014, 03:40 AM
Uncle Dad?

squarepusher
02-23-2014, 04:05 AM
lol what

Snew
02-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Yeah, no. Talk about a stretch.

The real problem here, as it is everywhere, is government involvement.

kathy88
02-23-2014, 12:21 PM
aaaaaand...... this goes here. I am my own grandpa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7AvG6q_iTcA#t=0

eduardo89
02-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Doesn't sound any worse than what Ted Nugent did which was adopting a girl he couldn't legally marry in order to sleep with her.

Occam's Banana
02-23-2014, 01:54 PM
"Where do you draw the line?" he said. "And if, in fact, a person can arbitrarily draw it here, why not could someone else draw it arbitrarily draw it somewhere else?"

Bevin spokeswoman Rachel Semmel said Bevin was not connecting gay marriage with incest. She said he was speaking of questions such as "hospital visitations and benefits."

The real problem here, as it is everywhere, is government involvement.

Exactly. Allow hospitals to set their own policies for visitation & such - and keep the State OUT of it.
Allow beneficiaries to designate their own inheritors. (Or better yet, stop handing out government benefits altogether.)
Hitching those kinds of things to the "marriage" wagon is just an artificial & arbitrary means of exerting power & control.

This is exactly the same sort of crap we see when it comes to government involvement in "public" schools (as manifested, for example, in the endlessly pointless and utterly unnecessary divisiveness over things like "Creationism" vs. "Evolution").

Bevin's arbitrary "line drawing" is no better than anyone else's. No matter where the line is drawn, it will still be bitterly argued and fought over. The only viable "solution" is for the State to simply stop drawing such lines. (I put "solution" in quotes because there actually isn't any real "problem" to begin with - the "problem" only exists because the State has manufactured it.)

enhanced_deficit
02-23-2014, 03:21 PM
In this case, over 18 adults should not have right to consent and their "civil rights" should be oppressed by man made Courts. God also did not intend even consenting adult brother-brother same sex marriages even if they are conseting adults ( or sister-sister same sex marriages) and courts can deny their "civil rights" in these cases.

SWC Obama handlers may have opened can of worms.

Voluntarist
02-23-2014, 03:35 PM
xxxxx

Henry Rogue
02-23-2014, 03:49 PM
aaaaaand...... this goes here. I am my own grandpa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7AvG6q_iTcA#t=0
I remember a comedy song on the morning radio show, set to dueling banjos. I found some of the lyrics on line, but I couldn't find who sang it or what it is called. Here are the lyrics.

Well, I've known my sister all my life,
that is why she's now my wife,
and my son,I think he know's it's true,
he's my nephew too,

Well, my father he's my uncle Joe,
and my mama she's my dear aunt Flo,
that is why it's plain to see,
my first cousin is ME

Philhelm
02-23-2014, 10:09 PM
To be fair, once your wife becomes old and haggard when she turns 30, a replacement becomes necessary.

fisharmor
02-23-2014, 10:13 PM
I often say that I'm waiting with baited breath until polygamy comes to town.
Then, with same-sex marriage and polygamy, I'm going to drive my van to 7-11 every month and pack it with guys who will get all my house construction done in a jiffy.

And I won't even have to pay them.
I'll just marry them all. They get citizenship, I get construction. Win-win!

Christian Liberty
02-23-2014, 11:07 PM
I often say that I'm waiting with baited breath until polygamy comes to town.
Then, with same-sex marriage and polygamy, I'm going to drive my van to 7-11 every month and pack it with guys who will get all my house construction done in a jiffy.

And I won't even have to pay them.
I'll just marry them all. They get citizenship, I get construction. Win-win!

Morally, I have an issue with this kind of mockery of the institution of marriage, despite the fact that it gives govt. the middle finger.

PRB
02-23-2014, 11:25 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gay-marriage-issue-flares-kentucky-180623486.html

why can't opposite sex parents do the exact thing now?

PRB
02-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Morally, I have an issue with this kind of mockery of the institution of marriage, despite the fact that it gives govt. the middle finger.

what exactly is this institution of marriage? where did you get it from and what do we do to its mockers?

Christian Liberty
02-24-2014, 12:55 AM
what exactly is this institution of marriage?

Genesis 2:24

where did you get it from

See above.

and what do we do to its mockers?

Tell them about Jesus Christ:)

kcchiefs6465
02-24-2014, 01:05 AM
FF, I'm almost certain you do, but I will ask..

Do you have a problem with the mockery that the government has made of marriage?

I feel this issue should be stressed. Every person here (to be a Merican) is licensed ten times to Tuesday, including marriage. I can almost assume you are against all of this. Perhaps someone stops by or perhaps your position would be more palatable to those who don't adhere to the Bible if you also use a freedom approach?

The "government" has no authority in marriage. Simply put.

PRB
02-24-2014, 04:08 AM
Genesis 2:24

See above.

Tell them about Jesus Christ:)

where in the Bible does it say "This is the only relationship with God approves of"? And what does that say about divorce?

PRB
02-24-2014, 04:09 AM
FF, I'm almost certain you do, but I will ask..

Do you have a problem with the mockery that the government has made of marriage?

I feel this issue should be stressed. Every person here (to be a Merican) is licensed ten times to Tuesday, including marriage. I can almost assume you are against all of this. Perhaps someone stops by or perhaps your position would be more palatable to those who don't adhere to the Bible if you also use a freedom approach?

The "government" has no authority in marriage. Simply put.

the government has all the authority we give it, so when people want gay people to be married, and only gay people to be married, then the government has the authority to make it happen, the government is but the people's servants.

fisharmor
02-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Would you have a moral problem if I mocked the institution of the DMV?
Or the institution of the legal bar?
Or the institution of the AMA?

I see neither moral nor logical difference between these institutions and the institution of state-blessed marriage.
One answers the question "Who is licensed by the state to drive".
One answers "Who is licensed by the state to practice law".
One answers "Who is licensed by the state to practice medicine".

One answers "Who is licensed by the state to receive particular benefits from the state".

And yes, I'm being quite serious. Once those benefits extend to their logical conclusion, I plan to avail myself of them for remuneration.

Cabal
02-24-2014, 09:31 AM
The only viable "solution" is for the State to simply stop drawing such lines. (I put "solution" in quotes because there actually isn't any real "problem" to begin with - the "problem" only exists because the State has manufactured it.)

This. Nothing else really matters beyond this.

Lucille
02-24-2014, 09:39 AM
That's what Jeremy Irons said (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?410051-And-Showtime-cancels-The-Borgias-in-5-4-3)! And then his show got cancelled.

He went on to suggest that the legalisation of gay marriage could lead to unexpected consequences, raising the possibility that family members could marry to avoid inheritance tax, and asked: 'Could a father not marry his son?"

Schifference
02-24-2014, 10:42 AM
"I have posted this to several threads and no one has ever responded. I say that if Gay marriage is A-OK then incest laws need to be addressed. Father son, Brother/brother, Mother/daughter, Sister/sister! Obviously all parties would have to be consenting adults. What is your opinion????? Understand that I am a heterosexual married male with 4 kids that has no interest in sleeping with my son."
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?419828-Gay-Marriage&highlight=sex+marriage+incest+laws

PRB
02-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Would you have a moral problem if I mocked the institution of the DMV?
Or the institution of the legal bar?
Or the institution of the AMA?

that's his point, he doesn't believe marriage is a government invented institution.

PRB
02-24-2014, 12:00 PM
"I have posted this to several threads and no one has ever responded. I say that if Gay marriage is A-OK then incest laws need to be addressed. Father son, Brother/brother, Mother/daughter, Sister/sister! Obviously all parties would have to be consenting adults. What is your opinion????? Understand that I am a heterosexual married male with 4 kids that has no interest in sleeping with my son."
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?419828-Gay-Marriage&highlight=sex+marriage+incest+laws

I'm OK with incest as long as both are consenting adults. Any 2 grown adults should be allowed to marry each other.

Ender
02-24-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm OK with incest as long as both are consenting adults. Any 2 grown adults should be allowed to marry each other.

Exactly.

The government should have NO say in consenting marriages or relationships.

Working Poor
02-24-2014, 02:34 PM
WTF who cares

LibertyEagle
02-24-2014, 03:21 PM
If the kid is over 18 perhaps. Wonder about those states that allow marriages younger with parental consent. Really weird that some states allow girls to marry younger with consent than guys.

Really stretching his arguments... Inheritance taxes for parents / kids didn't really hit until over 2 million. A simple living will handles the hospitals just fine.

It's not weird at all. Girls mature a lot younger than boys do.

ZENemy
02-24-2014, 03:34 PM
the government has all the authority we give it, so when people want gay people to be married, and only gay people to be married, then the government has the authority to make it happen, the government is but the people's servants.

LOL

Voluntarist
02-25-2014, 10:16 PM
xxxxx

Feeding the Abscess
02-25-2014, 10:28 PM
That's what Jeremy Irons said (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?410051-And-Showtime-cancels-The-Borgias-in-5-4-3)! And then his show got cancelled.

Lame. I actually enjoyed that show. Took place at the same time as the Assassin's Creed 2-Brotherhood games.

aGameOfThrones
02-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Lame. I actually enjoyed that show. Took place at the same time as the Assassin's Creed 2-Brotherhood games.

There is another borgia show that's not that bad. I would have liked for some of the actors of showtime's borgia to replace some of the actors from canal+ borgia.

Feeding the Abscess
02-25-2014, 10:56 PM
There is another borgia show that's not that bad. I would have liked for some of the actors of showtime's borgia to replace some of the actors from canal+ borgia.

Waiting for season 3 of that to hit Netflix. I'll probably end up pirating season 3 of the Showtime series.

fr33
02-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Fear mongering. I've known straight couples that lived together and had kids but resisted getting married because the "single mother" could receive welfare. Government defining and promoting their versions of our personal lives and families should be abolished.

scottditzen
02-25-2014, 11:45 PM
People will always try and pull circus stunts for a favorable tax result.

For example, on the Simpson's the Nuclear Plant is actually owned by a canary. Which is almost as crazy/stupid an idea as marrying your siblings, your cat or your children.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/1508beaff696b9e08ca138bf458396c0/tumblr_msvo6jwQJP1s5tlmxo1_1280.png

Spikender
02-25-2014, 11:47 PM
I could care less who or what another person marries as long as it doesn't pick my pocket or hurt me.

So unless you're marrying a nuclear warhead and want to detonate it in my neighborhood, go right ahead and marry your sister's daughter's cousin.

PRB
02-25-2014, 11:51 PM
People will always try and pull circus stunts for a favorable tax result.

For example, on the Simpson's the Nuclear Plant is actually owned by a canary. Which is almost as crazy/stupid an idea as marrying your siblings, your cat or your children.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/1508beaff696b9e08ca138bf458396c0/tumblr_msvo6jwQJP1s5tlmxo1_1280.png

that's what antitrust laws were designed for, to prevent people from using legal strawman to avoid taxation and manipulate ownership