PDA

View Full Version : This Is Why Everybody is Starting to Hate Conservatives

Working Poor
02-22-2014, 01:19 PM
http://www.westernjournalism.com/obama-encourages-drug-money-laundering/

The Obama administration has announced that it won’t enforce money-laundering laws against banks doing business with marijuana stores, in a move designed to “facilitate illegal conduct,” says Senator Charles Grassley (R-IA)

The Obama administration calls it “Guidance to Financial Institutions on Marijuana Businesses.”

The Washington Post story about this development carried the innocuous headline, “Obama administration clears banks to accept funds from legal marijuana dealers,” when in fact the marijuana “business” is not “legal” under federal or international law.

“Marijuana trafficking is illegal under federal law, and it’s illegal for banks to deal with marijuana sale proceeds under federal law,” noted Grassley. “Only Congress can change these laws. The administration can’t change the law with a memo.”

He added, “This is just one more area in which the Obama Administration is undermining our system of checks and balances and the rule of law.”

Robert Charles, former Assistant Secretary of State for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, told Accuracy in Media that, despite the “guidance” from the Obama administration, banks will stay away from laundering marijuana money because of the fear of being sued. “The range of suits is enormous,” he said. “The guidelines do absolutely nothing. They protect no bank against anything. The DOJ won’t give any bank an assurance that it won’t be prosecuted under federal bank secrecy or anti-drug laws.”

Read more at http://www.westernjournalism.com/obama-encourages-drug-money-laundering/#vQlKD7HShz1Joxwi.99

I don't know about you but I think it is a good thing that people in states that allow marijuana sales ought to be able to put their money in the bank and accept credit cards if they want to. I do think it should go thru congress. Hell cocaine cartels have been bailing out banks and wall street for years with not even a slap on the wrist...:rolleyes:

oyarde
02-22-2014, 01:22 PM
While I agree this should not be a problem , if I owned an institution like that , I could not risk trusting the Feds.

erowe1
02-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Is Grassley's position there representative of conservatives?

Working Poor
02-22-2014, 01:24 PM
While I agree this should not be a problem , if I owned an institution like that , I could not risk trusting the Feds.

I might not either but still conservatives are making a big deal over nothing.

erowe1
02-22-2014, 01:24 PM
I might not either but still conservatives are making a big deal over nothing.

Are they? Which ones?

angelatc
02-22-2014, 01:25 PM
http://www.westernjournalism.com/obama-encourages-drug-money-laundering/

I don't know about you but I think it is a good thing that people in states that allow marijuana sales ought to be able to put their money in the bank and accept credit cards if they want to. I do think it should go thru congress. Hell cocaine cartels have been bailing out banks and wall street for years with not even a slap on the wrist...:rolleyes:

I see both sides of this. The problem is that Obama is not a king, and he has no right to decide which federal regulations banks are allowed to ignore. Picking and choosing when we support this is problematic for everybody.

We can't pitch a fit about Obama deciding to postpone implementing the Obamacare portions that will damage his party while ignoring this.

“This is just one more area in which the Obama Administration is undermining our system of checks and balances and the rule of law.”

He is exactly right. Obama has single-handedly rewritten health care law, immigration law and now banking law. Someone needs to stop this. But they won't, so when the GOP does it they can say, "Oh well! The Democrats did it!!!!"

Thor
02-22-2014, 01:38 PM
This is a mixed bag....

Obama cannot just go changing laws as feels he wants to.
Those in the marijuana business legally sanctioned by the state, should not have to deal only in cash transactions, pay sales taxes (and everything else) in cash (instead of mailing a check), and run a higher risk for robbery due to large amounts of cash on hand.
Customers who elect to pay with a credit card, if allowed to do so, would be taking a risk, as then the transaction would be recorded so the Feds 'could' go after them if they decide to ever flip over the tables on the states allowing medical / recreational marijuana sales.

oyarde
02-22-2014, 01:42 PM
This is a mixed bag....

Those in the marijuana business legally sanctioned by the state, should not have to deal only in cash transactions, pay sales taxes (and everything else) in cash (instead of mailing a check), and run a higher risk for robbery due to large amounts of cash on hand.
Customers who elect to pay with a credit card, if allowed to do so, would be taking a risk, as then the transaction would be recorded so the Feds 'could' go after them if they decide to ever flip over the tables on the states allowing medical / recreational marijuana sales.

Yep

jkr
02-22-2014, 01:58 PM
everything they do is "illegal" what about that?

pick battles u can win...

angelatc
02-22-2014, 02:03 PM
everything they do is "illegal" what about that?

pick battles u can win...

This is a battle they can win though. They can challenge his right to rewrite law while passing laws to allow the banks to handle pot money. The fact that they won't is what is maddening to me.

Anti Federalist
02-22-2014, 02:18 PM
As others have already noted, regardless of whether it is "good" or "bad", the POTUS does not have the authority to just re-write laws as he sees fit.

Origanalist
02-22-2014, 02:21 PM
As others have already noted, regardless of whether it is "good" or "bad", the POTUS does not have the authority to just re-write laws as he sees fit.

He does until somebody stops him. What have now is a de facto dictatorship.

Working Poor
02-22-2014, 02:21 PM
I know ya'll are right but I found this link posted by a very conservative person who made it about this making it easier for children to get pot. I have been hearing about some pretty bad robberies happening to people who have pot stores. I think they should be allowed to bank their money if they are willing to take the risk of the feds busting them and confiscating their funds though. I did jump the gun so sue me I ain't got nothing you would want though.

Anti Federalist
02-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Take that "to the bank".

Very wise advice, do not, under any circumstances, use Matrix Money for "legal" purchases of pot.

I won't use plastic to buy booze or cigars either.

oyarde
02-22-2014, 02:24 PM
I know ya'll are right but I found this link posted by a very conservative person who made it about this making it easier for children to get pot. I have been hearing about some pretty bad robberies happening to people who have pot stores. I think they should be allowed to bank their money if they are willing to take the risk of the feds busting them and confiscating their funds though. I did jump the gun so sue me I ain't got nothing you would want though.

Your husband got a great catch and your children have a Mother that they will learn much more from than most.

Anti Federalist
02-22-2014, 02:25 PM

Just like with the cops, most folks don't have the stomach for what it will ultimately take to make them stop.

There may be some pushback here and there, but for the most part, the system is just steadily advancing the ball down the field.

oyarde
02-22-2014, 02:25 PM

Nothing he does is going to prevent them from rolling in and seizing everything if they decide to....

Origanalist
02-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Just like with the cops, most folks don't have the stomach for it will ultimately take to make them stop.

There may be some pushback here and there, but for the most part, the system is just steadily advancing the ball down the field.

Inexorably is a better descriptor. Steamroller style.

angelatc
02-22-2014, 02:28 PM
I wonder if the solution is a state run bank. Of course money crosses state lines so I haven't worked through it all yet.

juleswin
02-22-2014, 02:30 PM
I wonder if the solution is a state run bank. Of course money crosses state lines so I haven't worked through it all yet.

Could the answer be bitcoins? me wonders

oyarde
02-22-2014, 02:30 PM

Something to think about.

tod evans
02-22-2014, 02:41 PM

The "solution" is to trade in tangible items...

Gold, gems, silver, copper, wood, food, etc.

The sooner this make believe "money" is rejected the better off we'll all be and what better place to start than with the weed trade?

oyarde
02-22-2014, 02:44 PM

The sooner this make believe "money" is rejected the better off we'll all be and what better place to start than with the weed trade?
I do a little of that now , the more the better .

angelatc
02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
I do a little of that now , the more the better .

Well, the problem of theft doesn't disappear with a barter system. Assuming that you can run a pot business that makes a profit, and you take goods in lieu of cash, where are you going to keep all those goods?

Anybody who offers to store them for you risks the wrath of the DEA, and storing them yourself presents a different set of problems.

Thor
02-22-2014, 03:02 PM

Agreed.... The problem is that the store / dispensary would still be the target of thieves... robbing the gold, silver, gems, wood, food, and other tangible assets. Plus, assigning a value to each item on demand would require more of a pawn broker mentality to determine worth...

An exchange system where those items (gold, silver, gems), nor any paper "notes" (like FRNs or local currencies) laying claim to those tangible items, are not physically "on site" to be taken by thieves would be a little better. But then if it is an electronic transaction representational of the off site tangible items (like an electronic bartering system), it can still be monitored and recorded by the Feds... the only salvo would be if it was anonymous, but that would be shut down right quick as it moves against the directive of monitoring everyone...

Anything ever come of the CombiBars (http://www.combibar.com/)? Still a physical item in hand tho....

LibForestPaul
02-22-2014, 03:27 PM

He can't. US DA's and Just-Us department and many more have to be complacent. And they will be, but not because of POTUS. Who the hell is pulling these strings...money laundering laws are a big deal.

pcosmar
02-22-2014, 03:50 PM

Who declared "War on Drugs"? (trivia question)

As far as what presidents can or can not do,,,

and another trivia question,,
What party introduced the Volstead Act?

Working Poor
02-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Your husband got a great catch and your children have a Mother that they will learn much more from than most.

One rep for you kind sir....

LibForestPaul
02-22-2014, 04:01 PM
http://www.dfi.wa.gov/banks/pdf/dept-of-justice-memo.pdf

Theres the memo. I want to summarize, but I do not speak double talk that well.

KCIndy
02-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Could the answer be bitcoins? me wonders

BTC for the win! :D

Yeah, I know in some cases it is "traceable" but tracking BTC transactions is one helluva lot harder than pulling credit card or banking records.

RM918
02-22-2014, 10:24 PM
I know ya'll are right but I found this link posted by a very conservative person who made it about this making it easier for children to get pot.

Hah! Kids would have an easier time getting a hold of pot than I would because they spend most of their time in the easiest possible place to get it: Grade school. This 'Think of the CHILDREN!!!' malarkey is responsible for vastly more infringements on liberty than even 9/11 was.

DamianTV
02-23-2014, 03:36 AM
#1 Children would have a much harder time getting pot if they were schooled by one of their parents, not a Public School

#2 Kid finds pot. Who gives a shit? Here, this is what it does. Get high if you want, but youre not leaving the house till you come down off your high. Now isnt smoking a bowl with your mother about as much fun as getting drunk with your granparents?

#3 Pot is an excuse by which our Govt continues to deprive us of our liberties. They act like putting a kid and a joint in a room is as volatile of a cocktail as Bleach and Ammonia. It isnt.

---

#4 Currency. Not everyone wants to trade for only the goods you currently carry. If a person tried to carry around various types of goods, they would find it is extremely cumbersome. Currency in and of itself is a medium of exchange. Carrying currency is as dangerous as carrying around goods. Either allows the opportunity to get mugged.

#5 "Take that to the Bank". More Group Think Psychology. Banks are not safe. All they give you is IOU's. Your deposits at a Bank are nothing more than an Exchange of Promises. Most of the time, Banks can make good on their promise which creates an Illusion of Safety. Add in Interest, Fractional Reserve Loan Systems, Fiat Currency and you have the modern nightmare on your hands.

#6 BitCoin. Still requires a "Central Authority". Solution? Decentralize the Authority. In times of old, the concept of the "Check" was born from the idea of a Receipt for Goods. Made from a Payer to a Payee for a specified Product, not a quantity of Currency. As far as Paper Money goes, it was worthless 3rd parties. Theft of the Check could still occur, however the thief would not be able to claim party to the check making it worthless to them. It kept the true nature of paper money in check by being only a Receipt of Goods and not the goods themselves. Not a perfect system as goods could still be stolen, and the other problem of proof of identity. BitCoin is supposed to be decentralized, but it isnt. However, the idea of a "Digital Check" that can be issued without a Central Authority directly for Goods and Services and bypassing the entire concept of the Dollar may be a concept worth thinking more about how to do. People issue their own currency representing only something they own or services they can perform. The concept of a fully decentralized currency of Digital Checks for Goods puts the power of the creation of wealth in the hands of people that produce, not money manipulators. The idea is still in its infancy and will have inherit problems that would need to be addressed. Dont put too much faith in the idea of BitCoin, but a fully Decentralized Currency is a much better solution to the monetary crisis than a Fiat Currency Issuing Private Bank like the Federal Reserve. BitCoin has already been co-opted as a means of a tracked centralized bank issued digital representation of debt, not value. They'll keep the same games up as long as people continue to fall for the same old tricks.

DamianTV
02-23-2014, 03:37 AM
(removed, double post, occurs during site backup)

GunnyFreedom
02-23-2014, 04:03 AM

Comrade Generalissimo'Obama only does what is best for us. Have you not had your two minutes of hate lately, citizen? The traitor Emmanuel Liberty Goldstein could strike again at any moment!

Origanalist
02-23-2014, 04:12 AM
Comrade Generalissimo'Obama only does what is best for us. Have you not had your two minutes of hate lately, citizen? The traitor Emmanuel Liberty Goldstein could strike again at any moment!

Not yet, but people are starting to morph on my tv screen.....

http://www.infiniteunknown.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/change.jpg

Acala
02-23-2014, 05:31 AM

The President and every other government employee not only have the authority but the OBLIGATION to refuse to enforce unconstitutional laws. Creating new laws and regulations is, and should be, limited by Constitutional process. But the enforcement of unconstitutional laws is not compelled by the Constitution. The drug war is unconstitutional. Therefore the President SHOULD refuse to enforce it regardless of what Congress tries to tell him to do. Of course that is not why the President is refusing to enforce it, but that is why WE should support it.

Working Poor
02-23-2014, 06:44 AM
The President and every other government employee not only have the authority but the OBLIGATION to refuse to enforce unconstitutional laws. Creating new laws and regulations is, and should be, limited by Constitutional process. But the enforcement of unconstitutional laws is not compelled by the Constitution. The drug war is unconstitutional. Therefore the President SHOULD refuse to enforce it regardless of what Congress tries to tell him to do. Of course that is not why the President is refusing to enforce it, but that is why WE should support it.

Why is the President refusing to enforce it?

tod evans
02-23-2014, 07:21 AM
What little I know of crypto-currency I've gleaned here, but what stands out to me is that it's electronic...

Folks of my generation are generally a bit skeptical of all electronic devices..

That same skepticism has kept me out of the stock market my whole life too...

I'm one of these Luddites who'd rather hold his wealth in his hands.....There's very few people who couldn't safely store 20# of gold and fewer yet who could transfer their FRN's into that quantity....

asurfaholic
02-23-2014, 10:53 AM
#1 Children would have a much harder time getting pot if they were schooled by one of their parents, not a Public School

#2 Kid finds pot. Who gives a shit? Here, this is what it does. Get high if you want, but youre not leaving the house till you come down off your high. Now isnt smoking a bowl with your mother about as much fun as getting drunk with your granparents?

#3 Pot is an excuse by which our Govt continues to deprive us of our liberties. They act like putting a kid and a joint in a room is as volatile of a cocktail as Bleach and Ammonia. It isnt.

---

#4 Currency. Not everyone wants to trade for only the goods you currently carry. If a person tried to carry around various types of goods, they would find it is extremely cumbersome. Currency in and of itself is a medium of exchange. Carrying currency is as dangerous as carrying around goods. Either allows the opportunity to get mugged.

#5 "Take that to the Bank". More Group Think Psychology. Banks are not safe. All they give you is IOU's. Your deposits at a Bank are nothing more than an Exchange of Promises. Most of the time, Banks can make good on their promise which creates an Illusion of Safety. Add in Interest, Fractional Reserve Loan Systems, Fiat Currency and you have the modern nightmare on your hands.

#6 BitCoin. Still requires a "Central Authority". Solution? Decentralize the Authority. In times of old, the concept of the "Check" was born from the idea of a Receipt for Goods. Made from a Payer to a Payee for a specified Product, not a quantity of Currency. As far as Paper Money goes, it was worthless 3rd parties. Theft of the Check could still occur, however the thief would not be able to claim party to the check making it worthless to them. It kept the true nature of paper money in check by being only a Receipt of Goods and not the goods themselves. Not a perfect system as goods could still be stolen, and the other problem of proof of identity. BitCoin is supposed to be decentralized, but it isnt. However, the idea of a "Digital Check" that can be issued without a Central Authority directly for Goods and Services and bypassing the entire concept of the Dollar may be a concept worth thinking more about how to do. People issue their own currency representing only something they own or services they can perform. The concept of a fully decentralized currency of Digital Checks for Goods puts the power of the creation of wealth in the hands of people that produce, not money manipulators. The idea is still in its infancy and will have inherit problems that would need to be addressed. Dont put too much faith in the idea of BitCoin, but a fully Decentralized Currency is a much better solution to the monetary crisis than a Fiat Currency Issuing Private Bank like the Federal Reserve. BitCoin has already been co-opted as a means of a tracked centralized bank issued digital representation of debt, not value. They'll keep the same games up as long as people continue to fall for the same old tricks.

#2 nope. Sorry mom

Acala
02-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Why is the President refusing to enforce it?
Two reasons:

1. He doesn't want to add fuel to the 10th amendment movement - especially from the social liberal side because that will unify anti-federal sentiments.

2. He can read the writing on the wall and knows mj is going to be legal and doesn't want to be on the wrong side of that issue for political reasons.

Don't imagine for one second that he actually cares about people.

pcosmar
02-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Two reasons:

1. He doesn't want to add fuel to the 10th amendment movement - especially from the social liberal side because that will unify anti-federal sentiments.

2. He can read the writing on the wall and knows mj is going to be legal and doesn't want to be on the wrong side of that issue for political reasons.

Don't imagine for one second that he actually cares about people.

And both #1 and # 2 are good reasons for the "R"s to join him in bipartisan solidarity.

oyarde
02-23-2014, 04:11 PM
And both #1 and # 2 are good reasons for the "R"s to join him in bipartisan solidarity.

That will come from state levels and it will begin to happen fast , I think .

erowe1
02-23-2014, 04:29 PM
This is a mixed bag....

[LIST]

Obama cannot just go around enforcing unconstitutional laws.

pcosmar
02-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Obama cannot just go around enforcing unconstitutional laws.

Obama does not enforce nor fail to enforce anything.

He plays golf and makes speeches.

But he can give directives to Cabinet level appointees,, who oversee unaccountable agencies.

sort of like how Drug Tsars are created in the first place.

FriedChicken
02-23-2014, 07:39 PM
I'll admit to not being totally understanding of the way the system works but doesn't the elected prosecutor have the authority to not prosecute cases in which he disagrees with the law?
(which is the main reason a prosecutor is an elected position).

I'd imagine that this is the same on the federal level with the appointed attorney general.

From what I can tell, in this particular case - this isn't a case of Obama re-writing law but rather instructing the attorney general which laws to enforce and which ones not to. And by by limited understanding that is a perfectly legal and acceptable act.

Please tell me if I'm missing something. I'm very unfamiliar with what I'm speaking of on this topic.

DamianTV
02-23-2014, 08:05 PM
#2 nope. Sorry mom

Would you prefer that the kids just find out for themselves what pot does in a completely uncontrolled enviornment? The intent of the one time exercise is to express that self control is more important than obedience to the authority of parents. It allows the child to make a decision based on experience instead of disobedience. It does depend on the personality of the kid, but the decisions to smoke a bowl are not based on experience often lead to one not smoking a bowl in a situation that could become dangerous. I got drunk and stoned as a kid with my dad before he died, and didnt enjoy either one. To this day, I dont drink or smoke and drive because I know how it affects me, not because I have any respect for existing authority or the law. Of course, your kids arent mine so I wont say one way or the other if you raise your kids "right" or "wrong" and just stay out of it, just sayin this is how my parents raised me and it seemed to work pretty damn well.

RandallFan
02-23-2014, 09:08 PM
He is exactly right. Obama has single-handedly rewritten health care law, immigration law and now banking law. Someone needs to stop this. But they won't, so when the GOP does it they can say, "Oh well! The Democrats did it!!!!"

I think this line of thinking actually helps Republicans politically. They wont be able to impeach him and get Harry Reid to pass something sensible.

HOLLYWOOD
02-24-2014, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I actually caught that hearing with Grassley's mouth and Oral Hatch doubling-down on Chuck's marijuana garbage.

I still think of that ass Chuck Grassley disrespected Ron Paul and his speech at the Reagan Dinner in Iowa... ignored him while jacking to his smartphone in the back.

unknown
02-25-2014, 08:58 PM
I think the "conservative" "issue" has more to do with Santorum types.

These scary zealots.

Working Poor
02-25-2014, 09:32 PM
I think the "conservative" "issue" has more to do with Santorum types.

These scary zealots.
There are a lot of them too