PDA

View Full Version : Boehner: I'd Rather Kill Myself than Increase Minimum Wage

eduardo89
02-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Boehner: I'd Rather Kill Myself than Increase Minimum Wage (http://townhall.com/tipsheet/heatherginsberg/2014/02/21/boehner-id-rather-kill-myself-than-increase-minimum-wage-n1798615)
If there is one subject we know Speaker Boehner is passionate about, it’s the minimum wage. Although many have questioned Mr. Boehner about his squishiness on multiple issues lately, he certainly won’t be budging on his refusal to vote for a clean minimum wage hike.

Back in 1996 Boehner told The Weekly Standard, “I’ll commit suicide before I vote on a clean minimum-wage bill.”

Now, the only time Boehner didn’t keep his promise was in 2006, but it was for the sake of his party. Boehner backed the GOP measure that raised the minimum wage over three years, but it also contained deep cuts to the estate tax that made the bill dead-on-arrival in the Senate. He knew the bill wouldn’t pass, but he wanted to show support for his party. He also wanted to make sure this would not become an issue for him during the upcoming campaign.

Although Speaker Boehner has basically kept to his word about not voting for an increase in minimum wage, Democrats think they have a chance in getting him to cave and allow a vote this year. The liberals are hoping for a vote in this election year.

Ohio Rep. Steve LaTourette says Boehner has “always believed that it’s a job killer.” And who wouldn’t think that after the CBO’s recent report found increasing the minimum wage could cost the economy 500,000 jobs?

It’s going to take the Democrats a lot more than pure optimism to get Speaker Boehner to allow this vote. Clearly, Mr. Boehner has the country’s best interest at heart here and is not backing down on his promise to refuse votes on a hike in the minimum wage.

Damn, that's a tough choice for all of us...

VBRonPaulFan
02-21-2014, 03:44 PM
I don't want him dead, I just want his squishy ass to step aside and let someone with actual testicles take over as Speaker. That being said, since the Democrats want this, i'm sure he'll bring it up for a vote since he never seemed to master the use of the word "no".

pcosmar
02-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Go for it dude.

oyarde
02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
:) I love a guy with conviction , LOL

eduardo89
02-21-2014, 03:59 PM
:) I love a guy with conviction , LOL

He's broken the promise/threat before:

Now, the only time Boehner didn’t keep his promise was in 2006, but it was for the sake of his party. Boehner backed the GOP measure that raised the minimum wage over three years, but it also contained deep cuts to the estate tax that made the bill dead-on-arrival in the Senate.

Original_Intent
02-21-2014, 04:35 PM
RAISE THE MINIMUM WAGE. (apologize, but all caps was called for there)

oyarde
02-21-2014, 04:37 PM
He's broken the promise/threat before:
Yeah , I know . If they do it again they would have to get something nice in return. You can get nothing nice from the commie senate , so you would get nothing in return for further penalizing the young out of jobs .

DamianTV
02-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Did he purposefully open the door on himself on this? It just leaves so much potential.

We all know where he is going already, by some perspectives, he just wants to make the trip shorter. We dont even really need to offer any encouragement.

Now we know how he feels not only about Minimum Wage but Inflation as well. "Screw the People."

Newspapers have prewritten Obituaries about many high profile people. They leave the dates and causes of death blank. It saves time from writing and decreases the number of inaccuracies in the story. Those stories include a list of the successes and failures that a person is most well known for. Boehner might want to go as a newspaper what his current Obituary template would say about him because he might just find that people are not as happy with him as he thinks.