PDA

View Full Version : Texas: Man Wearing 2nd Amendment T-shirt Thrown Out of Voting Booth

green73
02-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Chris Driskill is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. But this week he found out that his pro-gun support cannot be proudly proclaimed on his clothing if he wants to cast a ballot at the Waller County Courthouse or any other Texas voting location.

Driskill, employed as a private security guard in Houston, went to the Waller County Courthouse in Hempstead on Tuesday to cast his early-voting ballot in the Republican Primary. He was wearing a black T-shirt with a logo on the front and back that says “2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security.” The words circle a skull and crossbones where the “bones” are short-barrel pistol grip shotguns.

"I heard a gentleman's voice over my shoulder say ‘he can't vote with that shirt on. You'll have to either turn it inside out our you'll have to leave,’” Driskill said of the polling place encounter.

Driskill says he thought maybe the polling place staff was either anti-gun, liberal, or over-reacting.

"I didn't quite understand it at first,” he said. "I was thinking they just didn't like something about the 2nd Amendment."

But Driskill was not being stopped by supposed liberal, anti-gun election workers. He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

The offense is considered a Class C misdemeanor. Election signs surround voting locations, but they are always kept at least that 100 foot distance from the door voters enter.

The Republican Primary ballot includes a proposition asking for a yes or no vote on expanded support for the 2nd Amendment and the places where a concealed weapon can be legally carried. Under the Texas Election Code rule the proposition is a “measure” and Driskill’s pro-2nd Amendment shirt considered “electioneering” or campaigning for his point of view and is treated the same as those yard signs kept 100 feet from the voting entrance at the courthouse.

cont.
http://www.kvue.com/news/Voter-wearing-pro-gun-shirt-turned-away--246554791.html

HOLLYWOOD
02-21-2014, 01:10 PM
LOL! He get's his 1st amendment rights violated by promoting the 2nd amendment rights... Nucking Futs!

phill4paul
02-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Shoulda worn this instead.........

http://rlv.zcache.com/first_amendment_t_shirt-r25630d99f6f646c7be1821b284ac1869_va6l9_512.jpg

Henry Rogue
02-21-2014, 03:06 PM
The Bill of Rights is electioneering...... It should be recited by every voter before they enter the voting booth. I'm sorry you missed a word in the Third Ammendment you can't vote.

ClydeCoulter
02-21-2014, 03:34 PM
"a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party ..."

Uhm, the Constitution is like neither of those?

Occam's Banana
02-21-2014, 04:03 PM
http://read-online.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Democrazy-1-cropped1.jpg

aGameOfThrones
02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
http://wrongside1.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/calming-circle-gif.gif?w=549

DamianTV
02-21-2014, 06:01 PM
The Bill of Rights is electioneering...... It should be recited by every voter before they enter the voting booth. I'm sorry you missed a word in the Third Ammendment you can't vote.

He probably wouldnt have gotten thrown out if he actually had a 2nd Amendment Right and carried a gun to the voting booth to begin with.

Back to the 1st. The 1st isnt there to protect the popular thing to say, its there to protect the unpopular. What is unfortunate is that what meets the qualifications of "popular" is defined by a Small Group, or single individual, not the collective that is affected by these Popularity Contests.

---

Fun with Propoganda:

Instead of calling them Guns, maybe we should refer to Guns as "Weapons of Peace".

(Propoganda goes both ways)

Occam's Banana
02-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Fun with Propoganda:

Instead of calling them Guns, maybe we should refer to Guns as "Weapons of Peace".

(Propoganda goes both ways)

http://cdn.motinetwork.net/motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1107/colt-peacemaker-colt-demotivational-posters-1309631642.jpg

nobody's_hero
02-21-2014, 06:24 PM

On the contrary, if you can do recite the B.o.R., you're a fully informed voter and if they find out they'll still kick you out of the booth.

DaninPA
02-21-2014, 07:17 PM
He probably wouldnt have gotten thrown out if he actually had a 2nd Amendment Right and carried a gun to the voting booth to begin with.

I Open Carried when I voted for Ron Paul in the primary in 2012. :D

Henry Rogue
02-21-2014, 09:32 PM
The 64 Dollar question. When has the vote ever been used as a weapon of peace?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Don't mess with Texas. :rolleyes:

Philhelm
02-21-2014, 09:36 PM
I Open Carried when I voted for Ron Paul in the primary in 2012. :D

And I thought I was cool for wearing a Ron Paul hoodie when I voted in the primary.

Carson
02-21-2014, 09:47 PM
I think there is a limit to how close you can be to a polling place preaching.

Weston White
02-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Isn’t an “electioneer” an individual that works or volunteers in the voting process itself or for a political candidate; and has no essence upon actual voters? More than that isn’t such a rule a First Amendment violation, striking against all voters? How is exclaiming or commenting to others in the voting area who they are voting for or why they voted for a certain person, or wearing a shirt that does the same, bad or wrong? All voters can just as easily ignore the message as they can respond to it.

mrsat_98
02-21-2014, 11:46 PM
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Anonymous quotes

fr33
02-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Just be a dumbass and vote for the ken doll hair. 'Murica.

Spikender
02-22-2014, 12:14 AM
So supporting the law of the land is tantamount to electioneering now?

Wacky bootlickers, what will they come up with next? A real fucking kneeslapper these guys always are.