PDA

View Full Version : Stossel episode tonight filmed at International Students for Liberty Conference in D.C.

jct74
02-20-2014, 02:07 PM
http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/stossel/sites/foxbusiness.com.on-air.stossel/files/sfl%20wmon.png

ISFLC: This week, I do my show in front of 1,500 college students at the International Students for Liberty Conference in Washington, D.C.

ECONOMICS 101: Economist Don Boudreaux says it's not government, but the market that helps the poor. In 1958, "The typical American worker back then had to work 30 hours to buy this vacuum cleaner. Today, a worker has to work only six hours to buy a much better vacuum." Abby McCloskey of AEI talks about how a minimum wage raise would actually hurt the poor.

CONSTITUTION 101: How often is the word "democracy" used in the Constitution? Answer: never. Tim Sandefur, author of "The Conscience of the Constitution," says that's because the Constitution focuses on restricting government to secure individual liberty.

FREE SPEECH 101: Robert Shibley of FIRE talks about rules limiting speech on campuses.

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY 101: Kmele Foster of The Independents started his own consulting firm as a sophomore in college. He says college graduates should be entrepreneurial, even though most universities don't teach entrepreneurial skills.

PERSONAL LIBERTY 101: Nearly all of the campuses in the University of California system have banned electronic cigarettes. Katherine Mangu-Ward of Reason Magazine argues that adults should be able to choose what they want to put in their own bodies-even if that includes "vaping" e-cigarettes, marijuana, alcohol, meth, cocaine, etc.

COMMUNICATIONS 101: Cathy Reisenwitz, Editor-in-Chief of Sex and the State, says libertarians should "check their privilege" when they talk to liberals. They talk to women about making birth control available over the counter, and to Blacks about school choice. Julie Borowski of FreedomWorks disagrees, and says we shouldn't "box" individuals in order to reach them.

MY LESSON: If you learn anything at Stossel U, it should be that the best type of government is limited government. The students at ISFLC understand that. Old politicians and old voters may never change their minds. But libertarianism grows fastest among the young, and so groups like Students for Liberty give me hope.

9PM ET on Fox Business Network

http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/stossel/blog/2014/02/20/stossel-university-9pm-et-fbn

jct74
02-22-2014, 04:01 PM
airing on Fox News right now

Wolfgang Bohringer
02-23-2014, 09:30 AM
I generally stay away from Foxified-TV-faux-libertarianism.

But I taped the Stossel show from last week because I knew that the Future of Freedom Foundation was having a conference within a conference at the event and I was curious whether Stossel would allow any of it on the air.

So I started watching it and there was Don Boudreaux and this real annoying broad Abby McClosky with Stossel taking questions from our budding young libertarians.

As I expected it became clear that Don Boudreaux--a George Mason economist who thinks Murray Rothbard was less than 1/100th the economist that Milton Friedman was--was NOT going to mention let alone question 1/3 of the economy being centrally planned at the American Empire Enterprize Institute and Lockheed while bitching about the minimum wage and complaining about a different 1/7th of the economy being being centrally planned by the government.

So the show began with a bunch of quick sample questions and answers spliced together and for some reason they decided to include the obvious question that every liberal statist has in his mind when confronting anything labeled "libertariansism" foxified or not, something like "how are you going to deal with poor?"--to which the blond American Empire Institute bimbo responded by saying something like "Milton Friedman had an idea to have a negative income tax"--causing me to turn off the TV and feel like I was going to throw up.

So that's what its come to. The Ron Paul answer (let's talk about Lockheed and 1/3 of the centrally planned economy then let's talk about the poor) that miraclulously peeped onto the tube in 2008 and 2012 has been completely erased from the filtered version of TV libertarianism that has been allowed to remain.

So somebody please tell me that Stossel/FOX/TV at least mentioned that FFF and that that commie-Chavez-loving and Lockheed-CIA control of 1/3 of the economy hating--Oliver Stone was there?