PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Women Denied Hospital Entrance, Forced to Give Birth Outside United States of....

aGameOfThrones
02-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Mexico!

I can't imagine experiencing intense labor pains and heading to the hospital only to be denied entrance. Turned away time again even after my water breaks and blood begins dripping down my legs.

But it's happening in Mexico. A lot. As the Miami Herald reports, in the remote city of Huajuapan de Leon, near Oaxaca, women are being forced to give birth on the sidewalk in front of the hospital.

Nancy Salazar Lopez was checked by doctors who turned her away, saying there weren't enough doctors and she wasn't ready, even after her water broke and a crowd gathered. She ended up giving birth on the steps in front of a group of strangers.

The event isn't an unusual one. Seven women have given birth on the lawns or steps of hospitals or health clinics in Oaxaca and Puebla since last year. The women turned away are mostly darker-skinned from Mexico's native groups, which has led to calls of discrimination and racism. As the Orlando Sentinel notes, the cases also highlight policies that need revamping. There is a shortage of doctors as hospitals are swamped with routine pregnancies that could be managed in clinics or at home with midwives. But after a 1983 constitutional amendment gave every Mexican the legal right to healthcare and a subsequent mandate in Oaxaca to combat infant mortality required that all pregnant women give birth in clinics and hospitals, there just isn't enough room.

State Health Secretary German Tenorio Vasconcelos said he's doing what he can. He said he has a zero tolerance policy and has fired four physicians and suspended two others in cases where pregnant women were turned away. But is punishing overworked doctors the answer? Firing doctors when physicians are already so desperately needed?

The attitude of medical workers toward poor, indigenous women has also come under scrutiny.

"The women arrive and say, 'I'm about to give birth.' They say, 'No, you're not ready yet,' " said Maria Cristina Galante of Nueve Lunas, a nonprofit advocacy group for maternal health in the Oaxacan capital.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/mexican-women-denied-hospital-entrance-forced-birth-outside-191200832.html

Icymudpuppy
02-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Coming soon to a socialized medicine nation near you.

Origanalist
02-20-2014, 08:21 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

There is a shortage of doctors as hospitals are swamped with routine pregnancies that could be managed in clinics or at home with midwives. But after a 1983 constitutional amendment gave every Mexican the legal right to healthcare and a subsequent mandate in Oaxaca to combat infant mortality required that all pregnant women give birth in clinics and hospitals, there just isn't enough room.

Isn't it great when the government makes sure you're taken care of?

FindLiberty
02-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Eliminate all licensing, certification and regulation of doctors (all medical professionals), medicine (all drugs), medical supplies and hospitals...

Then the need for government and health insurance can just crawl back into the shadows.

angelatc
02-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Yeah, it's Mexico.

When I had my first, I had contractions that were 3 minutes apart like a clock, and went to the hospital. They took me in the back, and after she checked me the nurse said they would check me again in an hour, but I would probably be going home to wait.

She came back in an hour, her mouth dropped open and she said "Don't push!" as she literally shoved my husband away to get to a phone to call my doctor.

Apparently if I had been in Mexico, I would have had a home birth.

Pericles
02-20-2014, 10:46 AM

You may depend upon it.

VIDEODROME
02-20-2014, 10:52 AM
So... supposedly free health care is causing more women to get pregnant than hospitals can handle? Or is this just racism / discrimination?

Dr.3D
02-20-2014, 11:15 AM
So... supposedly free health care is causing more women to get pregnant than hospitals can handle? Or is this just racism / discrimination?
How can it be racism/discrimination when it happened in Mexico? Wasn't she a Mexican?

Cleaner44
02-20-2014, 11:19 AM
How can it be racism/discrimination when it happened in Mexico? Wasn't she a Mexican?

I thought only white Americans could be racist...:confused:

juleswin
02-20-2014, 11:24 AM

That is racist to say only white people are capable of being racists. Check your white privilege before typing anymore comments :)

Dr.3D
02-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Don't worry about it. If Clinton becomes president, we can all be called sexist.

Cissy
02-20-2014, 11:37 AM

Yep.

aGameOfThrones
02-20-2014, 11:37 AM

White Mexicans.

Origanalist
02-20-2014, 11:42 AM
White Mexicans.

The women turned away are mostly darker-skinned from Mexico's native groups, which has led to calls of discrimination and racism.

Snew
02-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Government run healthcare works so well, doesn't it... ;)

Ender
02-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Actually, Mexico is known to have better health care practitioners than the US- have a lot of friends who go to Mexico for dental and chronic health problems.

Also- Brigham Young once said that the day would come when a woman could not have a baby w/o a doctor. People thought he was crazy.

Just sayin'..... ;)

nobody's_hero
02-20-2014, 03:16 PM
But after a 1983 constitutional amendment gave every Mexican the legal right to healthcare

And that's where they went wrong.