PDA

View Full Version : Two ex-navy SEALs found dead on M/V Maersk Alabama

Anti Federalist
02-19-2014, 10:09 PM
2 U.S. security officials found dead on the Maersk Alabama

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2022948120_pirateshipxml.html

The two Americans — Jeffrey Reynolds and Mark Kennedy, both 44 — were found dead Tuesday in a cabin on the Maersk Alabama.

The Maersk Alabama was hijacked by pirates in 2009, an event depicted in the movie “Captain Phillips.” Two U.S. security officers were found dead on the ship Tuesday, which was berthed in Port Victoria in the Indian Ocean island nation of Seychelles.

NAIROBI, Kenya — Two U.S. security officers have been found dead on a ship made famous when it was hijacked by Somali pirates, Seychelles police said Wednesday.

The two Americans — Jeffrey Reynolds and Mark Kennedy, both 44 — were found dead Tuesday in a cabin on the Maersk Alabama, according to the police. The ship was hijacked by pirates in 2009, an event dramatized in the movie “Captain Phillips” starring Tom Hanks.

The ship is berthed in Port Victoria in the Indian Ocean island nation of Seychelles.

The police gave no cause of death and said a post mortem had been scheduled.

The U.S. Coast Guard stated from its headquarters in Washington that it is investigating the deaths.

The two men worked for U.S.-based Trident Security, according to Seychelles police. Former military personnel frequently work on ships sailing off Somalia to provide security against pirate attacks.

Trident Security was founded by former U.S. Navy SEALs in 2000 and employs former special-warfare operators to provide security. Requests to Trident for information about the two men were not answered Wednesday.

The Maersk Line said the cause of death is under investigation but is “not related to vessel operations or their duties as security personnel.”

The Maersk Alabama’s home port is Norfolk, Va., where its parent company, Maersk Line, is also headquartered. The Maersk Alabama transports food aid to East Africa in support of the U.S. government’s “Food for Peace” program, according to the company. Crew members also help support the Bee Hive Children’s Home in Mombasa, Kenya.

Several crew members who were aboard the ship when it was hijacked in 2009 are suing Maersk Line and Mobile, Ala.-based Waterman Steamship over the attack. The hijacking captured world headlines in 2009 and again when the movie “Captain Phillips” was released recently.

The five-day hijacking standoff ended when Navy SEALs aboard the USS Bainbridge shot and killed three of the pirates who were holding Capt. Richard Phillips in a lifeboat.

Nine crew members in the lawsuit filed in Alabama in 2012 say they suffered physical and emotional injuries after Somali pirates boarded. Some crew members were held at gunpoint with Phillips, and others hid in an engine room.

mczerone
02-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Actual quote of article, extraneous words redacted:

2 U.S. security officials found dead on the Maersk Alabama

...pirates...
...pirates...
...pirates...
...pirate...

...the cause of death is under investigation but is “not related to vessel operations or their duties as security personnel.”

...pirates...
...pirates...

What was this story about, again?

HOLLYWOOD
02-19-2014, 11:36 PM
US Drone Base in the Seychelles... here's one that crashed at the Mahe airport

http://www.foxcrawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/MQ-9-Reaper-Seychelles-crash.jpg
http://business.mega.mu/cdn/media/news2/_thumbs/us-plane_jpg_460x345_q85.jpg

enhanced_deficit
02-20-2014, 12:20 AM

http://www.foxcrawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/MQ-9-Reaper-Seychelles-crash.jpg

Why is this drone being hanged from a tall pole?

Drones are harmless without people who load/trigger killing materials on them.

DamianTV
02-20-2014, 01:39 AM

http://business.mega.mu/cdn/media/news2/_thumbs/us-plane_jpg_460x345_q85.jpg

Is that an aircraft or a dildo with wings?

And for the record, why arent we allowed to call the "Flight Control Center" a "Cockpit" any longer?

ghengis86
02-20-2014, 06:38 AM
Is that an aircraft or a dildo with wings?

And for the record, why arent we allowed to call the "Flight Control Center" a "Cockpit" any longer?

Call it what you want, this thing will fuck you regardless...

Henry Rogue
02-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Why is this drone being hanged from a tall pole?

Drones are harmless without people who load/trigger killing materials on them.You're kidding, I hope. I see a hydraulic crane removing wreckage from a crash site.

Cap
02-20-2014, 09:23 AM
The police gave no cause of death and said a post mortem had been scheduled.

Me thinks lead poisoning despite what the official report says.

pcosmar
02-20-2014, 09:54 AM
The Maersk Line said the cause of death is under investigation but is “not related to vessel operations or their duties as security personnel.”

Hmm, that leaves,

Suicide pact?
Murder suicide?
Drug overdose?
autoerotic asphyxiation?

enhanced_deficit
02-20-2014, 11:12 AM
You're kidding, I hope. I see a hydraulic crane removing wreckage from a crash site.

I saw a crane too, was an attempt at sarcasm.

Need to confirm this but I recall reading somewhere while back that US based neocons supplied cranes to hang Iraqi Saddam Hussein.

Snew
02-20-2014, 01:29 PM

The pirates are coming fer ya! Ooga booga!

Uriel999
02-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Damn that sucks. Sheyshelles is a really nice place. I had a blast in Victoria a few years back. Didn't realize it was dangerous.

Ender
02-20-2014, 01:40 PM

'Zactly.

GunnyFreedom
02-20-2014, 01:54 PM
I saw a crane too, was an attempt at sarcasm.

Need to confirm this but I recall reading somewhere while back that US based neocons supplied cranes to hang Iraqi Saddam Hussein.

Why in the world would you need a crane? It's not like it's that hard to rig a gallows. Only reason I can see is so America can somehow say "we did it."

CPUd
02-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Why in the world would you need a crane? It's not like it's that hard to rig a gallows. Only reason I can see is so America can somehow say "we did it."

It was a statue they used the cranes for, not Saddam himself.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Looking like they OD' on some of that bad smack running around.

Autopsy: Men on Maersk had respiratory failure, suspected heart attacks

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/25/world/asia/seychelles-maersk-deaths/

(CNN) -- Autopsy results indicate two American security officers found dead on the container ship Maersk Alabama last week died of respiratory failure, coupled with a suspected heart attack, police in the Seychelles said Tuesday.

Further forensic analysis will be carried out to establish if the two men, Jeffrey Reynolds and Mark Kennedy, had consumed a substance that may have brought on these events, a police statement said.

Traces of narcotics were found with the bodies of the officers, it said.

"The police preliminary investigation report includes suspicion of drug use, as indicated by the presence of a syringe and traces of heroin which were found in the cabin," the statement said.

The two men, both 44, worked for Trident Group, a Virginia-based maritime security services firm. Trident Group President Tom Rothrauff said both were former Navy SEALs.

The 500-foot Maersk Alabama was the target of an attempted hijacking in the pirate-infested waters off East Africa in 2009 -- an incident that inspired the 2013 film "Captain Phillips."

The shipping giant Maersk, which hired the Trident Group to guard its ships, said last week that Trident would be conducting random drug tests of its employees.

"Based on our experience with the contractor, this is an isolated incident," Maersk said. But it said new drug tests would start immediately and the company's shore leave policy was under review.

Police said the ship arrived on February 16 in the Seychelles, an archipelago in the Indian Ocean, with a 24-man crew and had been expected to leave two days later. The bodies were found last Tuesday by a colleague who had gone to check in with one of the men in a cabin, Seychelles police said.

The Maersk Alabama has since left the Seychelles capital of Port Victoria.

Danke
02-25-2014, 08:28 AM
Gay sailors on smack, who'd have thunk?