PDA

View Full Version : Hartford Courant Under Scrutiny For Ridiculous Editorial

AuH20
02-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Their concerns have been duly noted. ;)

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/robert-farago/hartford-courant-declares-war-ct-gun-owners/

http://articles.courant.com/2014-02-14/news/hc-ed-gun-registration-20140214_1_new-law-gun-registration-military-style-assault-weapons

Guns defined in state law as assault weapons can no longer be bought or sold in Connecticut. Such guns already held can be legally possessed if registered. But owning an unregistered assault weapon is a Class D felony. Felonies cannot go unenforced.

First, however, the registration period should be reopened. It should be accompanied by a public information campaign.

Although willful noncompliance with the law is doubtless a major issue, it's possible that many gun owners are unaware of their obligation to register military-style assault weapons and would do so if given another chance.

But the bottom line is that the state must try to enforce the law. Authorities should use the background check database as a way to find assault weapon purchasers who might not have registered those guns in compliance with the new law.

A Class D felony calls for a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $5,000 fine. Even much lesser penalties or probation would mar a heretofore clean record and could adversely affect, say, the ability to have a pistol permit.

If you want to disobey the law, you should be prepared to face the consequences.

CPUd
02-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Letter to the editor

7:13 p.m. EST, February 12, 2014
Today's Courant says that there could be as many as 330,000 people with assault weapons who refused to register them according to the law [Feb. 11, Page 1, "Thousands Ignore Law On Gun Registration"]. Then now is the time to increase the penalty and start rounding them up.

At the first sign that someone has an illegal weapon , they should be immediately tried and imprisoned. These are the people we must be worried and concerned about -- the ones who need to keep their ownership secret.

Something wrong when they refuse to obey the law -- a law necessary for the safety of the rest of us and our children. Lots of laws are not pleasant, but we do not deliberately break them.

Pam Bergren, East Hartford

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/letters/hcrs-18696--20140211,0,7887220.story

AuH20
02-19-2014, 10:03 PM
http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/letters/hcrs-18696--20140211,0,7887220.story

Well, she convinced me. Do we burn the books that provoke uncomfortable thoughts afterward?

Anti Federalist
02-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Letter to the editor

7:13 p.m. EST, February 12, 2014
Today's Courant says that there could be as many as 330,000 people with assault weapons who refused to register them according to the law [Feb. 11, Page 1, "Thousands Ignore Law On Gun Registration"]. Then now is the time to increase the penalty and start rounding them up.

At the first sign that someone has an illegal weapon , they should be immediately tried and imprisoned. These are the people we must be worried and concerned about -- the ones who need to keep their ownership secret.

Something wrong when they refuse to obey the law -- a law necessary for the safety of the rest of us and our children. Lots of laws are not pleasant, but we do not deliberately break them.

Pam Bergren, East Hartford

You wonder who is going to turn you in to the Stasi?

Now you know.

Anti Federalist
02-19-2014, 10:17 PM
“Connecticut has a gun problem,” Hartford, Connecticut’s courant.com declares. Roger that. “Guns defined in state law as assault weapons can no longer be bought or sold in Connecticut. Such guns already held can be legally possessed if registered. But owning an unregistered assault weapon is a Class D felony. Felonies cannot go unenforced.” Wait. What? Is the Courant calling for Governor Malloy to start a civil war? Because that’s what will happen if the State Police start confiscating now-illegal unregistered modern sporting rifles. Oh sure, thousands of now-felonious CT gun owners will capitulate in the face of force. But tens of thousands won’t. And a percentage of these will defend their rifles with their life. Maybe that’s why the Courant is recommending that . . .

I wish this was so.

But, the fact is, nobody will do shit.

AuH20
02-19-2014, 10:21 PM
I wish this was so.

But, the fact is, nobody will do shit.

Only the older guys who are tired of enduring this painful existence. I think once you reach a particular age or 'expiration date', you simply don't care anymore. I wouldn't want to kick down one of their doors. I've talked to these people. They are dead serious. If the local stasi hits the wrong target, it could go very badly.

Anti Federalist
02-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Only the older guys who are tired of enduring this painful existence. I think once you reach a particular age or 'expiration date', you simply don't care anymore. I wouldn't want to kick down one of their doors. I've talked to these people. They are dead serious. If the local stasi hits the wrong target, it could go very badly.

I know the feeling.

I hope you're right.

AuH20
02-19-2014, 10:36 PM
I know the feeling.

I hope you're right.

I'm pretty certain about the older segments telling the authorities to go to hell. The middle aged citizens with families they have over a proverbial barrel, so I wouldn't expect much there, unless something blazes completely out of control.

pcosmar
02-19-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm pretty certain about the older segments telling the authorities to go to hell. The middle aged citizens with families they have over a proverbial barrel, so I wouldn't expect much there, unless something blazes completely out of control.

I would hope that folks would be quietly putting mutual defense plans together.

Anti Federalist
02-19-2014, 11:20 PM
I would hope that folks would be quietly putting mutual defense plans together.

One would hope so.

Pericles
02-20-2014, 11:36 AM
If you pass stupid laws, you should be prepared to face the consequences.