PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Evaluation: Dave Brat (U.S. House, VA-7)

Bryan
02-19-2014, 08:27 PM
This thread is intended to be a collection point of the strong pros and cons of any potential liberty candidate / campaign that is being discussed / promoted on the forum. You are welcome to post both positive and not-so-positive attributes about the candidate as they related to their position on supporting liberty as well as issues relating to their campaign. The most important information may be aggregated in this top post for easy reference.

Candidate Name: Dave Brat
Office Sought: U.S Congress
Social Media: https://www.facebook.com/davebratforcongress
https://twitter.com/DaveBratVA7th

Candidate Profile: On the Issues
Civil Liberties: [Rating TBD]
Constitutional Issues: [Rating TBD]
Economic Issues: [Rating TBD]
Foreign Policy: [Rating TBD]
Social Issues: [Rating TBD]
Overall Issues Rating: [Rating TBD]

Race Profile: Competition & Demographics
State: VA
District: 7
Incumbent:
Other Primary Candidates:
Non-Incumbent Candidates from Other Parties:
Relevant poll numbers: None.
Overall Race Profile Rating: [Rating TBD]

Miscellaneous Pros/Cons
Key strong points:

Unknown points for further research:

Possible weak points:

Possible deal breakers:

Overall Rating:

Media:
http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/19/why-i-want-to-replace-eric-cantor/

Brian4Liberty
03-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Good news for Dave Brat:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?447764-Virginia-GOP-grassroots-in-open-revolt

Brian4Liberty
03-26-2014, 09:20 AM
An article on the race:

PHILLIPS: Dave Brat and the conservative battle plan for 2014
Rep. Eric Cantor represents Virginia’s 7th Congressional District. He has been in Congress since 2001. Cantor’s rise to the leadership in the House has been rapid, and most experts agree that he will be the next Republican speaker of the House, whenever John Boehner steps down.

For conservatives, this is a huge problem. Despite his claims, Cantor is anything but conservative.

Since 2011, Cantor has been the chief check writer for the Great Obama National Debt. As the leader of House Republicans, Cantor has done nothing to stop the runaway spending of the Obama regime. Cantor has managed to arrange 50 symbolic votes against Obamacare but done nothing to actually stop it. And what may be the cardinal sin in the minds of many conservatives, Eric Cantor is very strongly in favor of immigration amnesty.

He is being challenged by Dave Brat in the Republican primary.

Brat is an economics professor at Randolph Macon College in Ashland, Va. He is following the example of Dave Jolly, who recently won a special election in Florida’s 13th Congressional District.
Eric Cantor has a huge war chest built up. As the House majority leader, he will have a lot of special interests that will donate heavily to him. Dave Brat has the Tea Party.

The fight over Virginia-7 will be the ultimate battle between the big government, big business wing of the Republican Party and the Tea Party.

The establishment has money. The Tea Party has activists.
More:
http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/21/phillips-dave-brat-and-the-conservative-battle-pla/

Brian4Liberty
03-26-2014, 09:42 AM
This is about as much detail as Brat goes into on the issues on his website. At least he would be better than Cantor, and he actually has a chance of beating him.

Dave Brat fully supports the Republican Creed, and any leader who unflinchingly upholds that Creed which reads as follows...

We Believe…

That the free enterprise system is the most productive supplier of human needs and economic justice,
That all individuals are entitled to equal rights, justice, and opportunities and should assume their responsibilities as citizens in a free society,
That fiscal responsibility and budgetary restraints must be exercised at all levels of government,
That the Federal Government must preserve individual liberty by observing Constitutional limitations,
That peace is best preserved through a strong national defense,
That faith in God, as recognized by our Founding Fathers is essential to the moral fiber of the Nation.

... unfortunately, however, our current congressman, Eric Cantor, has failed to uphold that Creed, and it is time for a change. It is time to term limit Eric Cantor.

William Tell
03-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Pete Greenwald is running too.
http://www.greenwaldforcongress.com/

William Tell
03-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Pete Greenwald dropped out and endorsed Brat:
https://www.facebook.com/GreenwaldForCongress

thoughtomator
03-28-2014, 10:22 PM
I have some familiarity with this race so let me add some info:

Brat is the chairman of the economics & business dept. at Randolph-Macon.

Seems slightly more in the Tea Party camp than liberty camp, although he also appears to be aware he needs both to win, which you can see in his approach which is compatible with both groups.

He is particularly good on fiscal and debt issues, as well as free market economics. Calls out crony capitalism for what it is.

Good quote from his site on that point:

Throughout his entire career, Eric Cantor has supported countless measures and budgets to increase our debt and grow government. Despite his fiscal rhetoric, Eric Cantor voted for new spending measures like Medicare Part D, TARP bailouts, Chinese bailouts, Wall Street bailouts, two unfunded wars, and backed the kick-the-can-down-the-road Ryan-Murray budget.

Note this represents a clear break from the establishment viewpoint. I evaluate the risk of actions not matching rhetoric is fairly low.

Brian4Liberty
03-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Related thread about Cantor being a scumbag:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?447982-Eric-Cantor-Bankrupting-the-Virginia-Republican-Party-to-Take-Control

Okaloosa
03-29-2014, 10:47 AM
http://davebratforcongress.com/promoting-economic-growth/

Promoting Economic Growth

Dave Brat, Ph.D., is a free market economist who has dedicated his life to educating college students, business professionals and civic and religious groups on economics and ethics. Dave wants to help create jobs and prosperity and knows that the free market system is the only proven way to stimulate innovation and economic growth.

Eric Cantor, on the other hand, distorts the free market by picking winners and losers, and only allows big business and big donors a seat at his table: a table that we in the 7th district do not share.

Dave Brat thinks everyone is the 7th district should have an equal voice and equal access.

This major difference in background and philosophy provides significant insights as to the contrasts between how Dave Brat and Eric Cantor will approach their job as your congressman.

Every day, Dave Brat will fight to grow our economy, boost opportunities for hard working Americans, and stabilize the economic health of our nation so that our children and grandchildren can enjoy greater prosperity.

While Dave Brat understands that such goals can never be achieved through the growth of government and increased spending, Eric Cantor has embraced big government over the course of his tenure.

Throughout his entire career, Eric Cantor has supported countless measures and budgets to increase our debt and grow government. Despite his fiscal rhetoric, Eric Cantor voted for new spending measures like Medicare Part D, TARP bailouts, Chinese bailouts, Wall Street bailouts, two unfunded wars, and backed the kick-the-can-down-the-road Ryan-Murray budget.

Dave Brat understands that an economy cannot thrive with such a crushing national debt, and will oppose the efforts of status quo politicians like Eric Cantor to continue to spend money we do not have.

Many young people are now beginning to understand the “inter generational” theft that is occurring. We charge the tab, and they will pay the bill. Unlike Eric Cantor, Dave Brat will fight for the younger generation.

Despite the president’s own admission to congressional leadership that millions of Americans would lose their insurance due to Obamacare, Eric Cantor and other members of the Establishment failed to make a compelling case to the American people.

We have seen time and time again that leadership is about more than holding a particular title. Real leaders are willing to take a stand and step up to the podium to articulate conservative principles and educate the public on what we can do to solve these problems.

Eric Cantor has failed to address the biggest issues of our time:

Deficits without End, Debt over $17 Trillion and Unfunded Entitlement Liabilities are over $125 Trillion.

Our debt rises, Obamacare remains the law of the land, businesses are still afraid to hire, and families are still struggling to make ends meet. Jobs are scarce and, if we continue on the same path, the future is bleak.

As our congressman, Dave Brat will end the reckless spending and fight every day to get rid of Obamacare. He will work to end the economic uncertainty caused by the lack of leadership in Washington and seek to restore confidence in our dollar, our marketplace, and our national credit.

Dave Brat is a free market conservative with the right background and experience to get our nation’s economy back on track.

Dave Brat offers conservatives in the 7th District a clear choice this June. Send Dave Brat to Washington where he will restore your voice and work hard to provide the fiscal and regulatory restraint needed for a free economy to thrive.

thoughtomator
03-29-2014, 11:00 AM
"Incumbent" is Eric Cantor, R-VA7, Majority Leader

Brian4Liberty
04-10-2014, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNb2ZPG5VVo

Brian4Liberty
04-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Pete Greenwald dropped out and endorsed Brat:
https://www.facebook.com/GreenwaldForCongress

Yes, he did.

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2014, 11:05 PM
Victory bump!

cjm
06-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Candidate Profile: On the Issues
Civil Liberties: [Rating TBD] No voting record - 100% Liberty on C4L survey; Very Pro Gun rating from VCDL
Constitutional Issues: [Rating TBD] No voting record - 100% Liberty on C4L survey
Economic Issues: [Rating TBD] No voting record - 100% Liberty on C4L survey
Foreign Policy: [Rating TBD] No voting record - 100% Liberty on C4L survey
Social Issues: [Rating TBD] No voting record - 100% Liberty on C4L survey
Overall Issues Rating: [Rating TBD]

Race Profile: Competition & Demographics
State: VA
District: 7
Incumbent: N/A
Other Primary Candidates: N/A
Non-Incumbent Candidates from Other Parties:
Relevant poll numbers: None.
Overall Race Profile Rating: [Rating TBD]

Miscellaneous Pros/Cons
Key strong points: Won primary in strong GOP district

Unknown points for further research:

Possible weak points: No voting record

Possible deal breakers: No voting record

Aratus
06-12-2014, 01:41 PM
admittedly the Libertarian Party may run someone for the seat, however inactivity after the primary
could hand the seat to the Democrat come fall. up in New England his win is all over my local news, it
has both sets of D.C insiders stunned. if we can remind the good professor that he is running for a
House seat in George Mason's home state, hopefully he will become the wise civil libertarian he has
the potential of being. he has yet to carve in stone his stances but he began this quest with a desire
for something other than politics as usual. i'd like to think his people can be helpful to Rand in VA in '16.
i sense few conflicts of an obvious nature. can we all describe Rep. Cantor as a civil libertarian at all???

CaptUSA
06-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Looks pretty good to me:
http://davebratforcongress.com/issues/

Issues

Obamacare
Obamacare has proven to be an economically disastrous law and an unconstitutional power grab by our Federal Government. The government cannot and should not be permitted to run and regulate nearly 20% of our nation’s economy. We must restore the relationship between doctor and patient. We must restore the relationship between price and service in medicine or we will continue on the Road to Serfdom. I support a plan to defund the law and replace it with free-market solutions that lower costs, improve quality, and increase access to care.

Fiscal Responsibility
Our national debt has skyrocketed, reaching over $17 trillion dollars. What our leaders in Washington fail to mention is the $127 Trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities (see U.S. Debt Clock). This lack of leadership on both sides of the aisle threatens our nation’s stability and long term growth and forces an undue burden on our children and grandchildren. We must balance the federal budget by reducing spending. I will support a balanced budget amendment which will force Congress to reign in the out of control federal spending and to restore confidence in the American economy.

Immigration
When addressing the issue of immigration, we must start by securing our border. An open border is both a national security threat and an economic threat that our country cannot ignore. I reject any proposal that grants amnesty and undermines the fundamental rule of law. Adding millions of workers to the labor market will force wages to fall and jobs to be lost. I support proposals that will secure our border, enforce our current laws, and restore an orderly and fair process to allow law abiding individuals to work towards becoming citizens of this great nation.

Term Limits
I am a strong proponent of term limits for members of Congress. Career politicians and special moneyed interests have corrupted our democratic system. I pledge to support and submit legislation that enforces term limits. Ideally, Congressional term limits would be for 12 years total, across both The House and The Senate. Thus, I pledge to term limit myself to 12 years in Congress.

2nd Amendment
I will oppose any efforts to undermine or limit the Constitutional right to bear arms.

I am a strong supporter of gun rights. The right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right enshrined in the constitution for a reason - it provides the people with the ultimate guarantee of sovereignty. I will oppose any back door attempts to confiscate guns or create a national gun registry. All too frequently the knee jerk reaction to tragedies by the media and chattering class is to move to restrict our rights. In Congress, I will be a steady and firm supporter of our 2nd amendment rights at all times - not just when it is convenient. Our founding documents make it clear that our inalienable rights come from God and that the job of the government is to ensure and protect those God given rights. I intend to keep it that way.

Education
As an economist and educator for eighteen years, I understand the value of a good education. This is why I oppose top down approaches by the Federal Government such as Common Core and No Child Left Behind. I will support efforts to place Virginia’s teachers, parents, and local officials, who best understand the needs of the community, in control of our education system.

National Security/Foreign Policy
Ronald Reagan said it best: “Peace through strength.” A strong military is essential to the success of our nation. We must secure our borders, support the Armed Forces, both at home and abroad, and maintain a strong national defense in order to secure our country’s future. In addition, I support a full investigation into the Benghazi attacks.

Federal Reserve
I support a full audit of the Federal Reserve System.

Energy
I support a broad-spectrum energy approach that relies on the free market. The private sector must be set free to invest in natural gas, wind, solar, oil, nuclear, and other forms of energy as we move forward. Ending our reliance on foreign oil and moving toward energy independence is vital to the future welfare of America.

10th Amendment
The federal government has grown far too large. Our Founders envisioned a nation in which the federal government’s powers were explicitly listed and limited. I fully support the Constitution and enforcing the 10th Amendment and getting the government out of the way of economic growth. I will work to bring power back to the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Individual Freedoms
The federal government’s abuse of our freedoms has spun out of control. Whether it is the NSA violating our 4th Amendment Rights by collecting phone records, the IRS violating our 1st Amendment rights by targeting conservative organizations, or President Obama violating our 5th Amendment rights with the indefinite detention of American citizens, our freedoms have been under attack and they must be restored.

Uphold Human Life
Human life is sacred, as proclaimed by our founding documents, and I will always support laws that protect life. Our fundamental rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness precede the existence of government and come from God, the Author of Nature. These core constitutional rights have been usurped by the Judicial and Executive Branches and must be returned to the people and their representatives.