PDA

View Full Version : Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz

RonPaulFanInGA
02-19-2014, 06:32 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/19/conservative-legend-thomas-sowell-turns-on-ted-cruz/

A leading tea party intellectual has turned against the tea party movement’s favorite senator.

Economist Thomas Sowell, who has long been revered among conservatives, has slammed Sen. Ted Cruz in his last two columns, accusing the Texas Republican of being self-serving and comparing him to President Obama.

“Freshman Senator Ted Cruz says many things that need to be said and says them well,” Sowell wrote in his syndicated column Tuesday, before going on to compare Cruz to President Obama. “Moreover, some of these things are what many, if not most, Americans believe wholeheartedly. Yet we need to remember that the same was true of another freshman Senator, just a relatively few years ago, who parlayed his ability to say things that resonated with the voters into two terms in the White House.”

twomp
02-19-2014, 07:00 PM
“However unjustified Senator Cruz’s actions, the very fact that a freshman Senator can so quickly gain so many supporters, with so much enthusiasm, ought to be a loud warning to the Republican establishment that they have long been a huge disappointment to a wide range of Republican voters and supporters,” he wrote.

Before Ron Paul came along, the whole concept of an "establishment" in the government seemed like just some sort of crazy kooky conspiracy theory. The ravings of a madman. Now you can barely read any political article that comes out without seeing some sort of mention of an "establishment." Thank you Dr. Paul for opening people's eyes. Your effect on this country is still being felt. Patriot! The greatest one.

Origanalist
02-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks for posting this. I saw the headlines and didn't bother reading the articles thinking, well, there goes Thomas Sowell.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Legend?! LOL.

Origanalist
02-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Legend?! LOL.

I have always liked Sowell, along with Walter Williams. Back in the day before I discovered RP and the liberty movement I used to look forward to Dr. Williams sitting in for Rush Limbaugh.

Todd
02-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Thomas Sowell along with Shelby Steele and Walter Williams are some of the best African American voices of reason left. Not perfect mind you. But there books are still on my best reading lists.

jj-
02-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Sowell always had an establishment streak. Walter Williams is a much better advocate of small government.

Influenza
02-19-2014, 08:20 PM
http://www.tsowell.com/images/tom_4b.jpg
This is what turns Cruz on?... Well, who am I to judge..

Origanalist
02-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Sowell always had an establishment streak. Walter Williams is a much better advocate of small government.

No argument here.

juleswin
02-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks for posting this. I saw the headlines and didn't bother reading the articles thinking, well, there goes Thomas Sowell.

Sorry but I think he has truly jumped the shark with this article. What is wrong with someone rising too fast? and comparing him to Obama because he had a rapid rise through the ranks is silly. Remember, what makes Obama special(not in a good way) is not just that he had a rapid rise to the top but the way he did it. First of all, one favorites for the state senate experienced some paper work problems and dropped out the race, the second had a marital scandal that torpedoed his US senate bid and finally he faced off against Alan Keyes.

Lets not forget the number of people who helped him and his wife with money and land deals on the way to the top. Ted Cruz no matter what you think about him has nothing like that in his past. I don't know what his angle on this is but I stopped caring about his opinion on politics after reading his many pro Romney(and few anti Ron Paul) articles in the last presidential elections

CaptUSA
02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Sowell is almost always great on economic issues... It's when he dips his toes into international affairs that he sometimes goes astray. Still, doesn't matter to me.

I listen to the musician for his music - not for his politics. I listen to the economist in the same manner.

Origanalist
02-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Sorry but I think he has truly jumped the shark with this article. What is wrong with someone rising too fast? and comparing him to Obama because he had a rapid rise through the ranks is silly. Remember, what makes Obama special(not in a good way) is not just that he had a rapid rise to the top but the way he did it. First of all, one favorites for the state senate experienced some paper work problems and dropped out the race, the second had a marital scandal that torpedoed his US senate bid and finally he faced off against Alan Keyes.

Lets not forget the number of people who helped him and his wife with money and land deals on the way to the top. Ted Cruz no matter what you think about him has nothing like that in his past. I don't know what his angle on this is but I stopped caring about his opinion on politics after reading his many pro Romney(and few anti Ron Paul) articles in the last presidential elections

Full disclosure; I did not read the article. Now I will, and I will shut my trap until I do.

Occam's Banana
02-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Back in the day before I discovered RP and the liberty movement I used to look forward to Dr. Williams sitting in for Rush Limbaugh.

Oh, hell, yeah! I think I still have some old cassettes I used to record some of his Limbaugh guest-host appearances.

I remember him talking about things like how there should be a free market for human organs. :cool:
You could all but hear some of the Ditto-heads' heads exploding in the background ... :D

Walter Williams is da man.

Occam's Banana
02-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Quoted FTA:

The Republicans need every vote they can get in the Senate — plus additional votes by defeating some Democrats who are running for the Senate this fall. It can be a very close call. Jeopardizing the reelection of current Republican Senators is an act of utter irresponsibility, a high risk with zero benefits to anyone except Ted Cruz — and the Democrats.

Bah! "Jam tomorrow and jam yesterday - but never jam today."

Apparently, "responsibility" means being cringing, spineless & gutless "go along to get along (and get re-elected)" wonders.

I'm no Cruz fan, but at least the man doesn't walk on egg shells. We need more of that kind of thing, not less ...