PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh: Establishment Republicans Willing to Lose Elections to Get Rid of the Tea Party

Coolidge/Dawes '24
02-19-2014, 05:44 AM
Article here (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/17/why-rush-limbaugh-agrees-that-the-gop-establishment-wants-the-irs-to-go-after-the-tea-party/).

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120305014539-frum-limbaugh-speaks-story-top.jpg

Agreeing with a theory put forth by Democratic pollster Pat Caddell, conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh said on Monday that the GOP Establishment has failed to push for a higher-level investigation into the IRS because they want the tax agency to "go after the Tea Party."

"When you have 71% who want an investigation, 64% who believe it is a sign of corruption including nearly a majority of Democrats, the reason is the Establishment Republicans want the IRS to go after the Tea Party," Caddell said.

Limbaugh went even further, theorizing that the GOP might even be willing to lose elections in order to get rid of the Tea Party.

"That's why there hasn’t been any Establishment Republican pushback on the IRS," he added. "It's almost safe to say the Republican Establishment might be willing to lose a couple of elections if it meant getting rid of the Tea Party; because it's clear, folks, they don't want to win any elections the Tea Party can claim credit for."

erowe1
02-19-2014, 06:48 AM
He's right. And anti-establishment Republicans are willing to lose elections in order to get rid of the establishment.

I doubt there are many Republicans who opposed Lugar in the last primary and regret it just because there's a D in the seat now.

cajuncocoa
02-19-2014, 07:37 AM
After another election loss or two, the GOP may as well roll up their tent...they will be dead.

Acala
02-19-2014, 08:49 AM
This is because there is really only one party. The Republican wing would rather lose elections than allow real conservatives to dismantle the apparatus of the omnipotent state. Elections are just a distraction. The continuation of government power is the bipartisan agenda. And if democracy ceases to be a sham and begins to seriously threaten government power, democracy itself will be finished.

jkr
02-19-2014, 08:50 AM
...IS IT FROM 2007?

Working Poor
02-19-2014, 08:58 AM
I have been saying that the GOP had no intentions of winning POTUS since the last election cycle otherwise they would not have forced Romney down our throats and had so many people running. Of course we all know that they were just trying to fight Ron Paul's people. They will fight us next time too as I am sure all of you well know...

AuH20
02-19-2014, 09:17 AM
This is because there is really only one party. The Republican wing would rather lose elections than allow real conservatives to dismantle the apparatus of the omnipotent state. Elections are just a distraction. The continuation of government power is the bipartisan agenda. And if democracy ceases to be a sham and begins to seriously threaten government power, democracy itself will be finished.

The Republican establishment has thrived selling government access for decades. They aren't going to willfully dismantle the patronage machine that has feathered their nests for so long.

nobody's_hero
02-19-2014, 11:49 AM
That's certainly an interesting theory about the IRS scandal, very plausible.

brushfire
02-19-2014, 12:10 PM
"Establishment Republicans Willing to Lose Elections to Get Rid of the Tea Party "

For sure - their motto: "The enemy of your enemy is your friend".

They'll also throw elections with candidates like Mitt, to ensure that liberty loving candidates dont make it to the ticket. The establishment cant afford another shutdown due to those tea party a-holes.

Todd
02-19-2014, 12:16 PM
After another election loss or two, the GOP may as well roll up their tent...they will be dead.

Not gonna happen. I've been hearing this narrative about parties in their death throes since I was a child. Jimmy Carter has destroyed the Democratic party.....George Bush has destroyed the Republican party.....:rolleyes:

compromise
02-19-2014, 12:21 PM
He's right. And anti-establishment Republicans are willing to lose elections in order to get rid of the establishment.

I disagree. Limbaugh is right in this circumstance, though candidates like Mourdock, Angle and Akin certainly did make inappropriate comments, they would have still stood a chance had the establishment not totally dropped support for them and openly disavowed them immediately after. The establishment's behavior right before the general election in these toss-up Senate races was disgraceful.

erowe1
02-19-2014, 12:27 PM
I disagree. Limbaugh is right in this circumstance, though candidates like Mourdock, Angle and Akin certainly did make inappropriate comments, they would have still stood a chance had the establishment not totally dropped support for them and openly disavowed them immediately after. The establishment's behavior right before the general election in these toss-up Senate races was disgraceful.

That may be true. But I doubt there are many people who supported Mourdock in the primary who would go back and support Lugar instead just so they could have a Republican in office rather than a Democrat. Maybe I'm overestimating how many. But I think a lot of Tea Party types are glad to see Lugar gone and have no regrets about it. And good for them if I'm right about that.

Peace&Freedom
02-19-2014, 01:35 PM

Absolutely correct. Limbaugh has made noises here and there of being aware of this over the years (for example, during his past public spat with then RNC Chair Michael Steele). I've wondered what would happen if Rush untethered himself from the Republican establishment line, and went back to being the free-wheeling conservative he was back in the late '80's/early '90's. It might just be the crack in the wall that finally breaks the dam for liberty with the mass public.

TheGrinch
02-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Meh, Obama will continue to push the envelope as a lameduck, and republicans will find a hack to take advantage of America being disenfranchised with the party in power. We know how this game works.

The more telling thing is Limbaugh kissing our asses. I still expect co-option and shifts towards the establishment when it comes to election crunch time, but until then, I'm going to enjoy every minute of them having to kiss our asses. They all know which way the wind is blowing. The power brokers are just still scrambling on how to deal with it.

acptulsa
02-20-2014, 05:41 PM
...IS IT FROM 2007?

Of course. Limbaugh will say things we've known for six years and more in order not to lose credibility with the isolated idiots who still listen to him. He won't say anything more contemporary than that, unless it shills for the establishment. But old news he will repeat, as long as it's already common knowledge. And that will be enough to convince certain idiots that he's actually anti-establishment.