PDA

View Full Version : Cops Cost NYC Taxpayers ONE BILLION Dollars Over Past Decade

KCIndy
02-16-2014, 09:04 PM
NYPD cop dubbed 'PistolPete' claims dubious record for 'most sued officer' in the city as it is revealed more than $1 billion in taxpayers money paid out in lawsuits over a decade

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560730/NYPD-cop-dubbed-PistolPete-claims-dubious-record-sued-officer-city-revealed-1-billion-taxpayers-money-paid-lawsuits-decade.html#ixzz2tXpffDAY

A tough-talking narcotics detective who has dubbed himself 'PistolPete' and the 'King of the Bronx' also holds the dubious title of most-sued NYPD officer.

Peter Valentin, has been taken to court by members of the public 28 times since 2006, to face a flurry of accusations that he has falsely arrested people - costing city taxpayers $884,000 in payouts for the 36-year-old cop.

Indeed, across the department the number of claims made doubled over the past decade to a high of 9,570 suits filed in 2012 that cost the city more than $1 billion during the same time period.

This is NEVER going to stop until the settlements start getting taken out of these guys' personal income - or their hides. :mad:

kcchiefs6465
02-16-2014, 09:11 PM
[The real] 'Pistol Pete' was widely known in NYC.

That a so called officer of the law took his name, as so many youths and wannabe gangsters do, is of no little relevance.

Imagine a police officer in Chicago calling himself Scarface, for instance. It's as blatant a known criminal moniker in the region as Pistol Pete is in the Bronx.

kcchiefs6465
02-16-2014, 09:23 PM
And while the billion dollars is utterly outrageous, I hope people understand this other aspect. That name elicits fear and has a strong connotation in the Bronx. This is not an officer who even attempts to project himself as the friendly police officer targeting crime. He intentionally took a name of one of the most violent men the Bronx has ever seen (and that's saying a lot). I'm not even from NYC but know the name.

When Bloomberg speaks of his former army or they blatantly admit to being the largest gang in NYC, this is what they are referring to. I am amazed at their blatancy (even more so than I amazed at the cost of their antics).

Those speaking of good cops, where are they? (the good cops, that is) If ever a man should not be walking around with a gun, who has carte blanche legal sanction to do what he wishes, it is the guy who assumes the name "Pistol Pete." I'd be unsurprised to learn that some of the missing in the area went so after having a run in with this asshole.

kcchiefs6465
02-16-2014, 09:27 PM
This is the list of the 12 most sued police officers in the NYPD over the past decade. Financial settlements are no an admission of guilt of any wrongdoing by the city.

1: Peter Valentin: 28 lawsuits. $884,004 in payouts
2: Vincent Orsini: 21 lawsuits: $1,087,502 in payouts
3: Fritz Gelmaud: 21 lawsuits: $404,002 in payouts
4: Warren W. Rohan. 20 lawsuits: $241,960 in payouts
5: James R. Rivera: 19 lawsuits: $436,500 in payouts
6: Andrew J. Jillery: 19 lawsuits: $614,001 payouts
7: Michael Rivera: 18 lawsuits: $520,500 in payouts
8: Steven R.. Sposito: 17 lawsuits: $973,750 in payouts
9: Christopher Schilling: 17 lawsuits: $297,500 in payouts
10: Michael Lopresti: 17 lawsuits: $1,016,001 in payouts
11: David P. Courtien: 17 lawsuits: $764,850 in payouts
12: Harry Bonhomme: 17 lawsuits: $452,501 in payouts

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560730/NYPD-cop-dubbed-PistolPete-claims-dubious-record-sued-officer-city-revealed-1-billion-taxpayers-money-paid-lawsuits-decade.html#ixzz2tXwAEuBl

kcchiefs6465
02-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Joanna Schwartz, professor at UCLA Law School, said that when an officer is sued at least 10 times or more, it could signal a 'problem' that needs to be examined.

'Research shows that only 1 to 2 percent of people who feel they’ve been mistreated by police file suit,' she said.

However, many point out that lawsuits do not mean that an officer is doing his job badly or even wrongly.

While the 'average citizen may find it unsettling, the more active an officer is the higher the likelihood of being involved in some type of litigation.

'It is neither indicative of wrongdoing nor stereotypical,' said Michael Palladino, president of the Detectives Endowment Association.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560730/NYPD-cop-dubbed-PistolPete-claims-dubious-record-sued-officer-city-revealed-1-billion-taxpayers-money-paid-lawsuits-decade.html#ixzz2tXwSOyK9

Christian Liberty
02-16-2014, 09:44 PM
I don't think there is such thing as a "good cop." I think there are decent people who simply don't understand, or for some reason do not agree, that their jobs are part of the problem, but even in that case, I'd disconnect the general "decentness" of those people from their jobs.

kcchiefs6465
02-16-2014, 09:58 PM
I don't think there is such thing as a "good cop." I think there are decent people who simply don't understand, or for some reason do not agree, that their jobs are part of the problem, but even in that case, I'd disconnect the general "decentness" of those people from their jobs.
If there were any good cops, "Pistol Pete" wouldn't have felt comfortable using that name. That he is able to do so and so flagrantly boast of being the King of the Bronx says all that needs to be said. I'm surprised he has as many lawsuits as he does. He took the name of a man who not only executed his competitors, but gunned down any he figured might have told of his activities.

Would most in the Bronx, who know of the real Pistol Pete, testify against a man whose moniker stems from executing an informer in front of dozens of people (and getting away with it), among other things? This, that is, him taking that name, is the summary of police in America.

Whether or not they are explicitly complicit in this officer's actions, as state sanctioned "law upholders", it would be of their duty to apprehend such a terror.

"Seventh largest army in the world".. the "biggest gang in New York City"..

KCIndy
02-16-2014, 11:00 PM
That Billion dollar sum is what floored me. Even for a city the size of New York, and even spread out over ten years, that's one helluva lot of money.

kcchiefs6465
02-16-2014, 11:15 PM
That Billion dollar sum is what floored me. Even for a city the size of New York, and even spread out over ten years, that's one helluva lot of money.
Indeed it is. My lack of surprise, or apparent disregard for what is being robbed from all to pay (at least) thieves and their victims is anything but an attempt to minimize the blatant crimes committed.

I find myself, having become somewhat acclimated with seeing extraordinarily large numbers; that millions and billions, while absurdly large, just are another number.

One billion is a lot. How much does it cost to operate the NYPD, though? Yearly it is undoubtedly more than one billion.

100 million a year (or a billion in ten years) is a pittance compared to what is annually stolen from New Yorkers. And to hell with the concept that some or most of them, at sometime, agreed to the theft.

It is amazing to me that one of the extortionists took the name of an extortionist. Well, that isn't what is amazing; that no one challenged that is what is amazing. There are no good cops. Empirically stated.

aGameOfThrones
02-16-2014, 11:54 PM
The Price of Freedom.