PDA

View Full Version : CA-Remember that man whose dog was executed by cops because he was recording them?

Anti Federalist
02-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Man Whose Rottweiler Was Shot By Police Sues City of Hawthorne, Officers

Graphic cell phone video that captured the violent confrontation sparked protests and media attention from across the country

By Christina Cocca

Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 | Updated 9:29 PM PST

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/leon-rosby-sues-hawthorne-officers-shooting-dog-rottweiler-245706811.html

Hawthorne police fatally shot a dog in an incident recorded on video and posted on YouTube on Sunday, June 30, 2013. The dog's owner, Leon Rosby, pictured in custody, faces felony charges for an alleged confrontation with another witness to the shooting.

The owner of a Rottweiler who watched police shoot and kill his dog has filed a civil rights lawsuit against the city of Hawthorne and three of its officers.

Leon Cordell Rosby, 53, is claiming the shooting of his dog was part of a "pattern of harassing conduct" and alleged corruption in the Hawthorne Police Department, the Los Angeles Times reported Friday.

Rosby alleged that the officers' decision to shoot his dog, Max, right in front of him was "intended to intimidate and harm him and to cause psychological trauma," according to the lawsuit.

The entire confrontation was caught on camera, and the graphic video of the dog's shooting went viral and garnered millions of views within just days of being online. The footage generated protests and media attention across the country.

The violent incident began on June 30, 2013, when the Rottweiler jumped from an open car window and lunged at officers who were taking Rosby into custody on suspicion of interfering with a SWAT stand-off.

Rosby was walking Max near 137th Street and Jefferson Avenue in Hawthorne and recording the stand-off with armed robbers on his cell phone camera.

"I never meant my dog to be killed and shot like that," Rosby said days after the shooting. "He wasn't just shot. He was executed."

The video, posted on YouTube (Warning: Disturbing Content), showed Rosby walking his dog along a sidewalk and recording officers on his cell phone. Another man who was also recording the police incident was standing just a few feet away from Rosby, but he was not approached by officers.

Police said he was playing "loud, distracting" music in his vehicle and walking in close proximity to the officers involved in a two-hour stand-off.

"This interference included loud, distracting music (from the individual's vehicle), and his intentional walking within close proximity to armed officers, while holding an 80-pound Rottweiler on a long leash-line," Hawthorne police said in a statement after the incident.

The officers handcuffed Rosby and the dog began barking out of one of the car's open windows. The dog jumped out and barked at the officers.

One of the officers reached toward the dog several times, apparently trying to grab its leash. The dog lunged at him and he fired four shots at the dog.

The dog fell to the ground, yelping and struggling in the street. The animal's owner, still handcuffed, cried out and his legs buckled.

The Hawthorne Police Department saw a major public backlash following the incident, with angry calls, emails and tweets pouring in, along with some threats, authorities said.

After the Hawthorne Police Department released a second video taken by a witness at the scene – showing more of the officer’s actions prior to the shooting – Rosby allegedly confronted the witness at her home.

Rosby was charged with six felony counts, including dissuading a witness from prosecuting a crime, intimidation of a witness and making criminal threats, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said in August 2013.

Rosby pleaded not guilty and is due back in court for a preliminary hearing in March.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Don't remember this one, but the cop sounds like a psychopath.

tod evans
02-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Their courts......:mad:

Carson
02-16-2014, 02:46 PM
I read until I got to this;

"The violent incident began on June 30, 2013, when the Rottweiler jumped from an open car window and lunged at officers who were taking Rosby into custody on suspicion of interfering with a SWAT stand-off."

Then I read a little more.

Dogs can bite.

Anti Federalist
02-16-2014, 02:54 PM

"The violent incident began on June 30, 2013, when the Rottweiler jumped from an open car window and lunged at officers who were taking Rosby into custody on suspicion of interfering with a SWAT stand-off."

Dogs can bite.

Judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COIYuS3mtIw

phill4paul
02-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Dogs can bite.

Never should have been arrested in the first place. The aggression was a police initiation. Which escalated. As it always does. With tragic results. As it always does.

Carson
02-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COIYuS3mtIw

Very dangerous to shoot with people behind your target but people really need to control their dogs.

The video you had me watch seems to have changed from the one that showed what actually played out. Now the video seems to be a well edited directors cut version or something like the news would come up with.

Originally posted;

https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/WDBZr4ie2AE

Probably doesn't' suffer any more than some of the kids we've been droning.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Very dangerous to shoot with people behind your target but people really need to control their dogs.

The video you had me watch seems to have changed from the one that showed what actually played out. Now the video seems to be a well edited directors cut version or something like the news would come up with.

Originally posted;

I have to disagree with you to some extent. I watched the raw video several times. People need to control their fears and their bowels, both of which fueled this incident. The dog was basically harmless on its own.

aGameOfThrones
02-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally posted;

Hard to control ones dog when you're being arrested for WWMWDWFDEP(WalkingWhileMundaneWithDogWhileFilmingD oughnutEa tingPigs)

Anti Federalist
02-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Yeah the raw videos are all age restricted.

No doubt.

Don't get me wrong, while I own a dog and like dogs, I'm not so attached to them to call them my furry children or some such.

My point in posting these "Cop shoots dog dead" stories is that many people DO.

They will look at some poor bastard being beat to death or lit up with a taser or shot 100 times and justify it somehow by saying "Oh well, the scumbag deserved it."

"Kelly Thomas did this to himself."

But they will get outraged at cops shooting a dog.

DamianTV
02-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Cops see almost no difference between an Armed Mundane and a Dog.

Both are threats to be eliminated, and especially so if the people are witness to ANY unlawful behavior of the Cops. Innocents are shot daily for such crimes as "being deaf", "whittling", "walking while black", "being in a coma", and "cop not getting a blowjob previous evening". When the enforcers of the Law are not held to the same Laws that apply to everyone else, you have Anarchy. There is no Law that a Mundane can not break and no Law that an Enforcer can break. True Lawlessness.

Carson
02-16-2014, 06:23 PM

No doubt.

Don't get me wrong, while I own a dog and like dogs, I'm not so attached to them to call them my furry children or some such.

They will look at some poor bastard being beat to death or lit up with a taser or shot 100 times and justify it somehow by saying "Oh well, the scumbag deserved it."

Good point.

Keep them coming. We need to be aware of what is going on around us.

If the voices were real in the original video many people are becoming aware of what is going on and saw trouble coming from early on in the video.

CCTelander
02-16-2014, 07:14 PM

No doubt.

Ain't it the sad, sad truth though?