PDA

View Full Version : Hartford Courant Very Angry About Thousands Not Obeying New Gun Registration Law In CT

RonPaulFanInGA
02-15-2014, 10:58 PM
http://articles.courant.com/2014-02-14/news/hc-ed-gun-registration-20140214_1_new-law-gun-registration-military-style-assault-weapons

State Can't Let Gun Scofflaws Off Hook
EDITORIAL
Gun Registration: Break the law, pay the price

Connecticut has a gun problem.

It's estimated that perhaps scores of thousands of Connecticut residents failed to register their military-style assault weapons with state police by Dec. 31.

That's the deadline imposed by a tough bipartisan gun-safety law passed by the legislature last year in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre.

Widespread noncompliance with this major element of a law that was seen as a speedy and hopefully effective response by Connecticut to mass shootings such as the one at Sandy Hook creates a headache for the state.

eduardo89
02-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Thousands haven't registered their guns and we haven't had a mass shooting in that time?!?! It's a miracle!

Origanalist
02-15-2014, 11:01 PM
No place for comments. :mad:

Christian Liberty
02-15-2014, 11:08 PM
The only binding law on this issue is "Shall not be infringed."

Unfortunately, I suspect most of them are unwilling to defend the 2nd amendment.

Relevant for consideration: http://www.copblock.org/5475/when-should-you-shoot-a-cop/

Acala
02-16-2014, 07:34 AM
An armed citizenry is intended to create a "headache for the state". Mission accomplished.

pcosmar
02-16-2014, 07:54 AM
No place for comments. :mad:

Intentional? or oversight?

DamianTV
02-16-2014, 08:12 AM
This whole thing is a powder keg. Is this going to be the spark that sets it off?

limequat
02-16-2014, 09:38 AM
We know how it goes. First registration, then confiscation.

The smart thing for the state to do would be to just ignore the "problem".

Conversely, they may decide to do SWAT drug-style raids on suspected rifle owners. That would be big leap that would virtually guarantee armed standoffs. I don't think they would dare. At least not in this generation.

Carson
02-16-2014, 09:42 AM
This whole thing is a powder keg. Is this going to be the spark that sets it off?

Didn't something happen like this before around there?

tod evans
02-16-2014, 09:44 AM
We know how it goes. First registration, then confiscation.

The smart thing for the state to do would be to just ignore the "problem".

Conversely, they may decide to do SWAT drug-style raids on suspected rifle owners. That would be big leap that would virtually guarantee armed standoffs. I don't think they would dare. At least not in this generation.

I'll bet ya' a cyber nickle and give ya' 5-1 odds........

limequat
02-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Let's make it a beer, Tod ;)
And yer on.

tod evans
02-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Randy Weaver and David Koresh were warm-ups...

I don't believe for even a moment that government learned anything from them but how to better control the media...

phill4paul
02-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Authorities should use the background check database as a way to find assault weapon purchasers who might not have registered those guns in compliance with the new law.

ROFLMAO. Kinda the point of not registering or going through a background check. F'em. They WILL come for everyone that is registered or has gone through a background check WHEN the "new" law changes to not allow firearms period.

Occam's Banana
02-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Connecticut has a gun problem.

Yeah, sure it does ... just like the Germans had a "Jew problem" ...

Widespread noncompliance [...] creates a headache for the state.

Awww! Poor little state! Perhaps it should just go lie down for while until it feels better ...

ctiger2
02-16-2014, 12:10 PM
"If you want to disobey the law, you should be prepared to face the consequences." Adolf Hitler 2 August 1934

Anti Federalist
02-16-2014, 12:24 PM

I wouldn't take that bet, even with those odds.

You can count on the tanks and MRAPs rolling before much longer.

Burn out and kill and imprison a few dozen recalcitrant gun owners and the rest will snap into compliance pretty quickly.

Anti Federalist
02-16-2014, 12:26 PM
ROFLMAO. Kinda the point of not registering or going through a background check. F'em. They WILL come for everyone that is registered or has gone through a background check WHEN the "new" law changes to not allow firearms period.

This is epic...let's watch this unfold.

Either they get a sad trombone when they find out there are no records like that.

Or, they follow through and obtain all the stored records from a central ATF database, which I suspect has been the case all along.

aGameOfThrones
02-16-2014, 12:52 PM
It's estimated that perhaps scores of thousands of Connecticut residents failed to register their military-style assault weapons with state police by Dec. 31.

Military-style civilian police with military guns is less bad than Law-abiding-citizens with lawful guns. That asshole just wants people to get swatted. You know, for being anti-gun violence he sure wants to use costume wearing, doughnut eating, tyranny enforcers on peaceful folk.

nobody's_hero
02-16-2014, 02:57 PM
So far I've resisted clicking that link.

DamianTV
02-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Im wondering if the real purpose of the law was to make as many people as possible violate the law. Fear and Violation are what is sought, not safety, not security, and not registration. The reactions to disobedience of the law will enable to the next step: Confiscation of all Guns.

Anti Federalist
02-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Im wondering if the real purpose of the law was to make as many people as possible violate the law. Fear and Violation are what is sought, not safety, not security, and not registration. The reactions to disobedience of the law will enable to the next step: Confiscation of all Guns.

Wondering? ;)

DamianTV
02-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Wondering? ;)

It should be obvious to everyone, but appears not to be. Most people here will recognize it for what it is, but those that respond to the propoganda cant see the law is designed to further provoke the situation as a Win Win for the writers of the law. People resist, they have an excuse for more violence. People dont resist, they confiscate those that registered. Both possible outcomes need to be recognized and addressed. And yes, you can slap me with a "Captain Obvious" title now.

Paulbot99
02-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Next up will be a manufactured or government-provoked stand-off with Sovereign Citizens, a gun rights group, or another liberty group.

asurfaholic
02-16-2014, 06:45 PM

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/103/366/Captain-Obvious.jpg

;)

CPUd
02-16-2014, 07:08 PM
They say they are moving to NH:

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/hc-op-aron-gun-laws-drove-me-out-of-connecticut-02-20140214,0,860648.story

(^ that's where the comments are open)

also in thread:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?444240-Gun-Control-Sent-Me-Packing-from-The-Hartford-Courant

kcchiefs6465
02-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Next up will be a manufactured or government-provoked stand-off with Sovereign Citizens, a gun rights group, or another liberty group.

They are the gun-toting, scripture-spouting, government-hating Texan family who warn anyone daring enough to approach the fencing around their home: 'We fear no man. We believe in an eye for an eye and a bullet for a bullet.'

Led by grandfather John Joe Gray, the tribe of a dozen or so men, women and children have been waging a war against both local sheriffs and federal agencies for an incredible 11 years.

Welcome to America's longest-running police standoff. It shows no signs of ending.

'I'll never leave,' said Gray, who has grown a long, silvery beard in the 11 years he has remained locked in the compound. 'I don't feel like a prisoner ... because I'm living out here and following God's laws.'

Gray, now 63, had worked in construction and led a Texas militia group that often trained on the isolated property where he lived for about 15 years before the so-called standoff.

Gray hasn't paid property taxes since 1995. The county has sued him for $12,700 in back taxes and interest penalties. But Nutt said it's too dangerous for deputies to serve notice of the suit filed in 2008, and until that happens, the case cannot proceed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2062479/John-Joe-Gray-How-Americas-longest-running-police-standoff-shows-signs-ending.html

Local law enforcement has indicated that they have no plans to enter his property. Local Henderson County Sheriff Ray Nutt has stated "John Joe Gray is not worth it. Ten of him is not worth going up there and getting one of my young deputies killed."

Pericles
02-16-2014, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't take that bet, even with those odds.

You can count on the tanks and MRAPs rolling before much longer.

Burn out and kill and imprison a few dozen recalcitrant gun owners and the rest will snap into compliance pretty quickly.

Or, some of the rest will figure it is game on, and practice what the Army used to call "active defense".

Schifference
02-16-2014, 11:17 PM
I wish Rand Paul would comment on the situation.

ChristianAnarchist
02-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Liberty = Slavery, freeman = terrorist, good = bad...

Keith and stuff
02-16-2014, 11:42 PM
They say they are moving to NH:

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/hc-op-aron-gun-laws-drove-me-out-of-connecticut-02-20140214,0,860648.story

(^ that's where the comments are open)

also in thread:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?444240-Gun-Control-Sent-Me-Packing-from-The-Hartford-Courant

Nothing wrong with that :toady:

Anti Federalist
02-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Nothing wrong with that :toady:

Let every single gun owner in CT move to NH.

More than welcome.

enoch150
02-17-2014, 07:04 AM
The author of that article is the 2nd or 3rd from the CT Ron Paul meetups to go to New Hampshire that I know of. I know a couple of others are planning to go there. Others have left for Maine and Texas. I've gone to Virginia. Connecticut always had very low population growth rates because of the tax situation, but it survived because it was better than New York and New Jersey for people who worked in New York City and it generally had an unemployment rate well below the national average and income well above it. But the new taxes that took effect in 2012 killed both the tax advantage over NY and NJ and caused the unemployment rate to spike above the national average for the first time in 35 years. And now with 5% - 15% of the adults in the state committing a felony for not registering their guns... people are running out of reasons to stay.

Keith and stuff
02-17-2014, 09:30 AM
The author of that article is the 2nd or 3rd from the CT Ron Paul meetups to go to New Hampshire that I know of. I know a couple of others are planning to go there.
Awesome! I know of dozens of liberty folks that moved from CT to NH ;) I know a pro-liberty Democratic family that moved. There's a guy in my community that moved. Heck, just last night at a liberty meet-up, this guy from southern CT was at the event. He said he was going to go skiing today or something.

Since we have a central liberty calendar and the FSP in NH, 100s of visitors in total come every year (mostly from NY, PA, CT and MA) to the local liberty meetups. Some are just in Boston for business and stopping by. Some are considering moving. Some like that guy are here to ski. It's really exciting. My guess is the only other thing like it is Liberty on the Rocks. I know when I was visiting CO a few years ago, for example, I noticed that there was an event so I visited the local Liberty on the Rocks meetup.

http://nhcalendar.org/