PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma cop sues over firing after he cited 3-year-old for peeing in public

aGameOfThrones
02-14-2014, 12:26 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1612246.1392251958!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/piedmont13n-1-web.jpg

An Oklahoma cop canned for citing a 3-year-old boy for peeing outside is now suing the city of Piedmont for unfairly flushing his career.

Kenneth Qualls claims he had permission from on high to give little Dillan Warden a $2,500 public urination ticket in November 2012 after the tot unzipped in his pants on Ryan Drive.

The prohibited pee was on private property, the boy’s mother, Ashley Warden, said at the time.

"I said really, he is 3-years-old, and [the officer] said it doesn't matter – it’s public urination,” the boy’s grandmother, Jennifer Warden, told KWTV News 9 at the time.

But about 10 days after the ill-advised ticket, Qualls was dumped from the department, The Oklahoman reported.

“Of course we did receive a lot of notoriety over that,” City Manager Jim Crosby said at the time of the pee heard ‘round the world.

Qualls contends the charge wasn’t dropped — only amended to contributing to a delinquency of a minor — and that the city’s police chief knew of the ticket the day after it was issued but did not intervene.

During the 2012 pissing match, the officer was even called “stupid” by the city’s mayor, furthering muddying his reputation, the suit claims.

The city denies the claims, except for the fact that a personnel board did vote to fire Qualls, a veteran officer with 18 years of law enforcement experience.

But little Dillan’s grandmother said at the time of the ticket that the officer was just bothering the family and would frequently wait down the rural street in patrol car doing nothing at all.

"I am disappointed that the officer thinks ... what he needs to do with my tax dollars is sitting and harassing our family," she told the TV station.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/okla-sues-firing-toddler-citation-article-1.1612248#ixzz2tH6SzRJT

Mani
02-14-2014, 02:30 AM
BUt I was just following orders!??

You can't do this to me!!

TaftFan
02-14-2014, 02:33 AM
Honestly I wouldn't have fired him. Lots of things I would fire cops over, but this isn't one of them. I'd give him a lesson in discretion and dump the citation.

wetroof
02-14-2014, 03:08 AM
Uh, after age 6, I'd fine them. three kind of ridiculous. Not all 3 year olds can understand what is socially acceptable. by 6 yes, unless they have behavioral problems. If they have behavior problem at 6, going to have at 10 anyways in majority case.

Spikender
02-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Honestly I wouldn't have fired him. Lots of things I would fire cops over, but this isn't one of them. I'd give him a lesson in discretion and dump the citation.

Perhaps so, but the grandmother alleges that he had been bothering the family for some time and watching them, that sounds rather scary to me and worthy of something more than a simple lesson in discretion.

Besides, officer had eighteen years of law enforcement experience, pretty sure he should know better than to cite a three year old for peeing with a two and half grand fine.

asurfaholic
02-14-2014, 04:54 AM
Policing is a hard job. Part of the job description is to make people want to be more protected and served and sing praises to the city while they are being tasered/shot/beat to death/etc.... Officer did a fine job protecting and serving, but he embarrassed the king/mayor so he had to go.

Obviously this officer just needs a large sum of money, so all his problems will go away.

LibertyEagle
02-14-2014, 06:16 AM
Uh, after age 6, I'd fine them. three kind of ridiculous. Not all 3 year olds can understand what is socially acceptable. by 6 yes, unless they have behavioral problems. If they have behavior problem at 6, going to have at 10 anyways in majority case.

You must be kidding.. :rolleyes:

tod evans
02-14-2014, 06:31 AM

Stay in the city, you're not welcome out here in the country until you fix that attitude...

Spikender
02-14-2014, 06:35 AM
It's a crying shame the officer didn't get any on his boot.

Scrapmo
02-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Never move to a place where you cant pee outside.

phill4paul
02-14-2014, 06:58 AM
$2500 for peeing. The burden of freedom in AmeriKa is almost unbearable.

Henry Rogue
02-14-2014, 08:37 AM
$2500 for peeing. The burden of freedom in AmeriKa is almost unbearable.
I was shocked at that cost, thats twice a drunk driving ticket.

Spikender
02-14-2014, 08:41 AM

Someone could've slipped on the puddle and broken their neck.

tod evans
02-14-2014, 08:43 AM

You should see the fine if you're caught drunk peeing in Ok......

otherone
02-14-2014, 08:48 AM
http://www.heapsoffun.com/pictures/20110625/funny_piss_off_the_cops_m1001.jpg

Spikender
02-14-2014, 08:55 AM
http://www.heapsoffun.com/pictures/20110625/funny_piss_off_the_cops_m1001.jpg

If those were my kids, there would be a trip to Disneyland in their near future.

Cleaner44
02-14-2014, 08:59 AM
OK is a right to work state if my research is correct.

Go find a new line of work idiot!

Stupid cop thinks he is owed a job.

Suzanimal
02-14-2014, 09:01 AM
You should see the fine if you're caught drunk peeing in Ok......

LOL, how do you know that?

fisharmor
02-14-2014, 09:02 AM
So the lesson cops everywhere learn from this is:

Next time, just kill the child and rape the grandmother, and everyone gets to keep his job.

Spikender
02-14-2014, 09:08 AM
So the lesson cops everywhere learn from this is:

Next time, just kill the child and rape the grandmother, and everyone gets to keep his job.

Shoot the dogs too.

No witnesses.

tod evans
02-14-2014, 09:09 AM
LOL, how do you know that?

How about drunk, peeing off a boat licensed in another state while in possession of fish and fishing tackle not registered in Ok...?

phill4paul
02-14-2014, 09:11 AM
How about drunk, peeing off a boat licensed in another state while in possession of fish and fishing tackle not registered in Ok...?

Lucky you weren't shot.

Ender
02-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Reminds me of the Broadway Musical:

Urinetown.

A musical satire of the legal system, cronie-capitalism, social irresponsibility, populism, bureaucracy, corporate mismanagement, municipal politics and musical theatre itself.

Story: In an attempt to regulate water consumption, Urinetown has outlawed the use of private toilets. The citizenry must use public, pay-per-use amenities owned and operated by Urine Good Company, a malevolent corporation run by the corrupt Caldwell B. Cladwell.

angelatc
02-14-2014, 09:56 AM

Go away and leave people alone.

LibertyRevolution
02-14-2014, 10:37 AM
The cop was completely justified giving this ticket, as the suspect was urinating in public.
I side with the cop on this one. I would also sue my boss if he fired me for doing my job.

Should there be a law against public urinating? I think not, but as long as that is a law, then this cop was just doing his job.

Ender
02-14-2014, 10:44 AM
The cop was completely justified giving this ticket, as the suspect was urinating in public.
I side with the cop on this one. I would also sue my boss if he fired me for doing my job.

Should there be a law against public urinating? I think not, but as long as that is a law, then this cop was just doing his job.

So, when a law is passed that you must have a license to pee, you'll be OK with that?

asurfaholic
02-14-2014, 10:45 AM

The suspect?

The suspect was 3 years old. There is NEVER a criminal charge that can be held against a child of that age .

The cop was in the wrong for citing the child.

otherone
02-14-2014, 10:55 AM

http://www.libertystickers.com/static/images/productimage-picture-i_was_just_following_orders-99.gif

http://slashinatorx.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/tumblr_ma73qjlxwx1qjic3ro1_500.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/30/cb/db/30cbdb6ad25fc953bea26e8674f28e82.jpg

http://thecommonsenseshow.com/siteupload/2013/12/enemy-of-the-state-just-following-orders.jpg

Danke
02-14-2014, 12:29 PM

I don't think a 3 year old can understand what a $2500 fine means.

I'd say it would be a quicker learning curve for the youngster, that peeing outside is wrong, if he'd been Tasered instead.

tod evans
02-14-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't think a 3 year old can understand what a $2500 fine means.

I'd say it would be a quicker learning curve for the youngster, that peeing outside is wrong, if he'd been Tasered instead.

https://warosu.org/data/tg/img/0279/19/1382647510143.jpg

Don't ya' know there's some sick bastards in uniform that'd get off on it too....

otherone
02-14-2014, 12:43 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/6/30/1277921548157/A-Bangladeshi-policeman-t-006.jpg

Brett85
02-14-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't even think an adult should get fined $2,500 for peeing in public. That's just ridiculous. Really, it shouldn't be illegal for anyone to be naked on their own private property, regardless of age. If someone decides to run around on their front lawn naked in a major city or urban area, they should just be ridiculed and made fun of, but the government shouldn't have jurisdiction over what someone does on their own private property, unless they harm someone else.

ZENemy
02-14-2014, 01:19 PM
The kid is a menace and should be deported to another country even if he was born here. I would fully support that kid heading straight to gitmo.

The cop should get his job back, a raise and his choice of underage girls, I mean these guys gotta live ya know? I don't think a lot of people know how hard it is to do your job; robbing people when you got all these child sex rings to build, homeless people to beat to death and dogs to shoot, you know how much target practice alone these guys invest just so they can make sure they can shoot even the smallest of puppies?

pcosmar
02-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Never move to a place where you cant pee outside.

Now that is a very good rule to live by.

youngbuck
02-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Part of being a cop is using common sense and exercising good judgement and discretion (especially as an 18 year veteran!). This cop failed at all of these, and therefore deserved to be canned.

Oh, not to mention that I would tend to believe the parents' account that the cop regularly parked down the street just waiting for some little infraction to occur so he could write them a citation. Got leech?