PDA

View Full Version : Is the GOP Now Rand Paul’s Party?

jct74
02-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Is the GOP Now Rand Paul’s Party?

Jonathan S. Tobin
02.12.2014 - 6:30 PM

It’s been a good month for Kentucky Senator Rand Paul. Last week, conservatives applauded as Paul tore into Bill Clinton as a sexual predator. Much of the nation was puzzled by the exchange because they couldn’t see how a rerun of the debate over the Monica Lewinsky scandal would help the GOP stop Hillary Clinton from being elected president in 2016. But many Republicans cheered because it showed that Paul had the guts to take on the Clintons and a mainstream media that continues to treat the former president as a revered figure in spite of his past. Paul added more luster to his image today by a filing a class action lawsuit against President Obama and the heads of U.S intelligence agencies over the National Security Agency’s metadata collection program. Like the spat with Clinton, the lawsuit is more about public relations than substance. But the support it has gotten from the GOP base shows that it is no longer possible to dismiss the senator as merely a housetrained version of his father—libertarian gadfly Ron Paul.

A year after Paul rocketed to stardom with a 13-hour Senate filibuster protesting administration policy on drone strikes against terror targets, the younger Paul is a genuine GOP star and a potential first-tier presidential contender for 2016. Unlike Ted Cruz he chose not to identify himself with the cause of the government shutdown that so tarnished the GOP brand last fall, thus showing he is willing to edge closer to the party establishment on tactics. More importantly, his views on distrust of government and foreign policy—positions that were bolstered by a series of Obama administration scandals involving the IRS, spying, and Benghazi—seem more mainstream today than ever. Though Paul’s stunt to force the government to give up its collection program may fail, the question is whether Paul’s views reflect mainstream Republican thinking. An even better question is if they are not, why aren’t more GOP leaders publicly disagreeing with Paul?

read more:
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2014/02/12/is-the-gop-now-rand-pauls-party-nsa/

LibertyEagle
02-13-2014, 08:34 PM
I find it rather hilarious that the author called Rand's foreign policy to the "left of Hillary's". Yeah, defending your own country and not arming people in other countries who turn those arms on you is a real lefty position. :rolleyes: It used to be called the patriotic American position.

klamath
02-13-2014, 08:37 PM
read more:
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2014/02/12/is-the-gop-now-rand-pauls-party-nsa/break the link. It is pure Neoconservative hit piece.

klamath
02-13-2014, 08:39 PM
I find it rather hilarious that the author called Rand's foreign policy to the "left of Hillary's". Yeah, defending your own country and not arming people in other countries who turn those arms on you is a real lefty position. :rolleyes: It used to be called the patriotic American position.It would be pretty freaking hard to out war monger Hillary. There hasn't been a war or intervention both R and D that she is against.

Christian Liberty
02-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I think the average Republican on the street, at least the more conservative ones, are probably somewhere in Rand Paul's general ballpark. I think these are the mainstream conservative positions, when it comes to the regular people. But the elites don't care and too many people are in "lesser of evils" mentality even while agreeing with most of Rand's positions.

But, I don't think TPTB will let Rand win.

Christian Liberty
02-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Just read through the thing... that writer is an idiot.

Not only is Rand not an "isolationist", he's not even a pure noninterventionist.

I don't say this to attack Rand. Rand is world's better than anyone else with a shot when it comes to foreign policy. But his policy is not even identical to Ron Paul's, and Ron wasn't actually an "isolationist' either, so the writers have a double whammy of "stupid" here.

NoOneButPaul
02-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Not yet but I suspect it will be...

twomp
02-14-2014, 12:58 AM
I find it hilarious that the common sheep of the GOP automatically go into a frenzy when they her the word "left." That is only matched by the stupidity of the the Dems when they hear the word "right."

Anti Federalist
02-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Stopped reading at:

But the support it has gotten from the GOP base shows that it is no longer possible to dismiss the senator as merely a housetrained version of his father—libertarian gadfly Ron Paul.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-14-2014, 07:24 PM
But the support it has gotten from the GOP base shows that it is no longer possible to dismiss the senator as merely a housetrained version of his father—libertarian gadfly Ron Paul.

What an odd way to word it. Makes it sounds as though Ron Paul urinates on the rug.

Cleaner44
02-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Yes, the GOP is now Rand Paul's party.

All your voters are belong to us.