PDA

View Full Version : Name That Blimp! Round FOURa

BeFranklin
11-30-2007, 04:00 AM
Ok, I'm posting this as round four. This shouldn't be viewed as an official poll. The actual site will most likely email something out to pledge-es. The poll should just be to see what people like in names and generate discussion.

Instead of re-doing the poll names from the previous debate (ie taking into account the suggestions that there was no reason to split some votes into multiple names like liberty this or that, a valid concern), I decided to keep the exact same list.

However, this is a reverse poll: What is your *least* favorite name. Round 4a.

BeFranklin
11-30-2007, 04:05 AM
Also, please post why you felt that way. I noticed that freedom generated an immediate negative, I'm not sure why :)

Edit: FYI: I'll vote later after more people voted so as to not stack the momentum.

xexkxex
11-30-2007, 04:07 AM
I like "Air Force Ron" because it is a play on words...

Air Force Ron .... Air Force One

I just think it is the obvious and most clever name.

At least that is how the majority of the public will see it.

evandi
11-30-2007, 04:08 AM
I'm not trying to vote against freedom...

But I just liked the other names better and happened to be watching.

BeFranklin
11-30-2007, 04:10 AM
I like "Air Force Ron" because it is a play on words...

Air Force Ron .... Air Force One

I just think it is the obvious and most clever name.

At least that is how the majority of the public will see it.

This is a negative poll though, what is your least favorite?

BeFranklin
11-30-2007, 04:11 AM
I'm not trying to vote against freedom...

But I just liked the other names better and happened to be watching.

I was kidding. Freedom was the name I liked best, so I wondered if it was a vote against my polling :p I'll vote later this morning.

Dutch
11-30-2007, 04:14 AM
I don't like Air Force Ron just because it's a play of words on Airforce One.
That plane symbolizes the (current) US administration, which I don't
like right now. Air Force Ron gives me negative vibes, therefore.

JMHO,

Dutch

mkrfctr
11-30-2007, 04:29 AM
still no Liberty One option ... fail.

BeFranklin
11-30-2007, 04:36 AM
still no Liberty One option ... fail.

I know. I like it, I just wanted to keep this poll the same as the previous one for comparison purposes. Besides, in this case its a good thing - no one can say they liked Liberty One the least ;)

leonster
11-30-2007, 04:51 AM
Oops, voted without reading... so one of those votes for Air Force One, please discount, b/c that is my favorite, NOT my least favorite.

Probably at least a couple other people over time, will do the same thing. :(

xexkxex
11-30-2007, 04:54 AM
This is a negative poll though, what is your least favorite?

Oooppps.....

I just assumed the poll we for the best. Just seemed obvious that it would be.

I guess I can't change it now....bummer.

I think you will have at least half of everyone who votes doing what I did.

So, this poll is jeopardized. As it will not show our real opinions.

Edit: After reading all the comments coming in...you might want to start over with a new poll.

troyd1
11-30-2007, 04:54 AM
I voted for the US Constitution, but I did not see the not, it's early. So you can take one off of constitution and put 1 one on let freedom fly.

Kalash
11-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Oops, voted without reading... so one of those votes for Air Force One, please discount, b/c that is my favorite, NOT my least favorite.

Like me >_<

I'm up late trying to write a legal motion/brief.

>_<

Reading obviously isn't a strong attribute for me right now.
I should go sleep >_<

RonPaulCult
11-30-2007, 05:09 AM

Yeah I did that too - DOH

Man from La Mancha
11-30-2007, 05:17 AM
Liberty, Ron Paul sounds to me as very distinguish and what Ron Paul is all about. Liberty has two 1st names.

blamx8
11-30-2007, 05:53 AM
I think unless it's going to be decorated with bug eyes and fly wings, which would be really lame, we should stay away from "Let Freedom Fly" or any other kind of "fly" for that matter.

SneakyFrenchSpy
11-30-2007, 05:59 AM
I don't like Air Force Ron and here's why.

I think the MSM / pundits will spin the image of the blimp into an antiquated instrument of the 19th century and try to equate Ron Paul's belief system with ideology that doesn't belong in a "modern" society.

For example, while most late 20th century presidents traveled places using the colossal Air Force One with its powerful jet engines, Ron Paul would rather use the slow-moving blimp to get anywhere, like his ideas...

I think the focus needs to be shifted back onto Ron's main platform: FREEDOM.

My choice is Let Freedom Fly and I wouldn't mind Liberty Ship.

~ Sneaky

wisconsinite
11-30-2007, 06:17 AM
"Let Freedom Fly" just doesn't sound like the name of a vehicle. Names should be a noun or a noun and adjective, but "Let freedom fly" is a whole stand alone sentence, and so I thing it sounds too wordy to be a name of something.

How bout calling it the R3VOLUTION now that we know it'll carry the "Ron Paul R3EVOLUTION" logo on one side?

wisconsinite
11-30-2007, 06:26 AM
It just occured to me that every other famous blimp is simply known as "The ______ blimp".

The Goodyear Blimp
The Fuji Blimp
The Met-Life Blimp

and yes, The Duff Blimp.

So why not just call it "The Ron Paul R3VOLUTION Blimp"?

Because you know despite whatever we call it, nobody else is going to use some fancy name.

SneakyFrenchSpy
11-30-2007, 06:30 AM
Then following in that reasoning: The Liberty Blimp.

It's short, concise and to the point. Ron Paul welcomes you aboard The Liberty Blimp.

FreeTraveler
11-30-2007, 06:30 AM
"Let Freedom Fly" just doesn't sound like the name of a vehicle. Names should be a noun or a noun and adjective, but "Let freedom fly" is a whole stand alone sentence, and so I thing it sounds too wordy to be a name of something.

How bout calling it the R3VOLUTION now that we know it'll carry the "Ron Paul R3EVOLUTION" logo on one side?

Okay, kids, time to get serious. Air Force Ron is cute and all that, but what will sound best in the HISTORY BOOKS in 50 years time, when you're telling your grandkids about this?

"'Liberty Rising', Dr. Paul's blimp, was amazingly prescient at the time, although the party establishment and the old-form media didn't realize it at the time. The name of the ship alone, combined with Dr. Paul's name, made for a powerful message that even the sleeping masses couldn't ignore."

Dr. Ron Paul - Liberty Rising!

BeFranklin
11-30-2007, 06:37 AM

Ok, even though this is suppose to be more geared to 'why I don't like a name', let me explain that one since I came up with it awhile ago - the original idea was to call it Freedom, and the slogan was suppose to be "Let Freedom Fly", which would be catchy especially if we had to protest any unexpected "no fly zones". So "Let Freedom Fly" wasn't originally going to be a name but slogan, but I didn't create the original polls this negative poll was created off of. I kept everything else the same.

Someone suggested that freedom by itself wasn't a ship name, and someone else suggested Liberty One (which sounds like won) on the end. That isn't a bad idea, and many of these names could have one on them - ie Freedom One, Constitution One. They could still be used in slogans too, ie Let Freedom Fly.

bulloncoins
11-30-2007, 06:47 AM
I think the ship should be named the US Civil Disobedience especially now that there is no PAC.
:D

evadmurd
11-30-2007, 06:54 AM
"Freedom" is too generic. Could be a maxie pad, for all anyone knows.

Exponent
11-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Gah, I can't read directions either. Well, I can, but only after mis-voting for US Constitution. Need a warning in the thread title or something for lazy people like me. :o

I think I would have down-voted "Air Force Ron", for reasons that have been mentioned: clever sounding, but ultimately not nearly serious sounding enough.

Mark
11-30-2007, 07:24 AM
"Freedom" is too generic. Could be a maxie pad, for all anyone knows.

:D :D :D :D :D

by the way.. what's a "FOURa"? :confused:

jumpyg1258
11-30-2007, 07:24 AM
If it was the USS Constitution I would vote for it but the US Constitution as a name for a ship is dumb.

voytechs
11-30-2007, 07:49 AM
I don't like Air Force Ron just because it's a play of words on Airforce One.
That plane symbolizes the (current) US administration, which I don't
like right now. Air Force Ron gives me negative vibes, therefore.

JMHO,

Dutch

I wouldn't worry about it that much. It makes Dr. Paul look more presidential. Some people may actually misunderstand and think that Dr. Paul is arriving on air-force-one, which in my view is a positive image. Should certainly generate some buzz.

moberley
11-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Oops I voted wrong. Didn't realize the vote had been switched around.

hillertexas
11-30-2007, 08:45 AM

+1

Wolfgang Bohringer
11-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I think Lew Rockwell called it the "Peace Blimp" (alluding to Cat Stevens' Peace Train I think)

Mental Dribble
11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I voted for favorite too. I need to read things more closely.

LIBERTY RISING gives people hope! Makes you think of progress.

jabbott0
11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Please toss out this poll, as it appears everyone voted backwards... :eek:

torchbearer
11-30-2007, 11:43 AM
The Headlines will simply read: Air Force Ron.

BeFranklin
11-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Going to keep it going a little longer, so when I post 4b people will know what the poll is suppose to be. The results though are about what should be expected from comments on threads about negatives for various names.

Ball
11-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Catchy names win out. And for God's sakes, don't call it the ___ blimp as it only rhymes with wimp, limp, skimp, and shrimp. These names are so nerdy I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested a recursive name like

FINALE
Is
Not
A
Last
Expediment

Bigger than an elephant, graceful as a swan
He's not just the internet, he's really catching on
We'll take you for a ride so get your seat belt on
C'mon! Let's get aboard Air Force Ron!

xexkxex
11-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Why are we suppose to vote for our least favorite anyway.

Just make one poll....."What is your favorite name?"

It is so simple.

Eric21ND
11-30-2007, 10:18 PM
It should be called "Victory"

wecandoit
12-01-2007, 09:06 AM
The name has got to be Freedom One. It works on all levels.

First off, where there are some good suggestions, most are too cutesy, the type of thing you read in an internet message, this blimp is going to be in the real world.

The campaign should name this, but since they can't, we have to name it like the campaign would.

Air Force Ron is the best of the bunch, but it is still not there, Ron is not close enough to One to pull it off, and it's still too much of an attempt to be clever.

Here is why Freedom One works best, IMO.

1. It's straightforward, not too cutesy.
2. What is somehing that flys? above all else, it is FREE
3. The One makes it sound presidential
4. The best part, it has a built in subliminal message, I'll explain.

How many subliminal messages have we heard through the MSM that Hillary has already won? repeat it over and over and people will accept it.

We'll in our case, it will soak into people's head's that Freedom WON.

To sumarize, it's not trying to be too clever, it sounds presidential, it conveys the message of the movement probably better than any single word (freedom), it has a built in subliminal message, AND it is likely a name the campaign would not be embarrased by.

Freedom One, I'm I the only one who sees it? It has to be Freedom One!

RickNHouston
12-01-2007, 09:12 AM
This was a trick question ... not fair this early in the morning ...lol!!! I voted against my favorite , Liberty Ship " as it turns out!:mad:

bolidew
12-01-2007, 09:17 AM
The name has got to be Freedom One. It works on all levels.

+1