PDA

View Full Version : Idaho eyeing higher speed limits of up to 80 mph

aGameOfThrones
02-12-2014, 05:46 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2014/02/idaho_eyeing_higher_speed_limi.html

BOISE — The Senate geared up Tuesday to raise Idaho's speed limits.

Sen. Bart Davis, R-Idaho Falls and the bill's main sponsor, said the plan would give the Idaho Transportation Department the choice to increase legal speeds from 75 to 80 mph on the interstate and from 65 to 70 mph on state highways.

But even if the bill passes, drivers won't be able to put the pedal down right away.

The department would be tasked with conducting studies to evaluate the risks of a higher speed limit on a road, and the Idaho Transportation Board would have to sign off on the department's recommendation before changes are made.

"Safety is and should always be paramount," Davis said. "If (the board) believes a certain stretch of road should not have an increased speed limit, then I have confidence they will exercise that judgment."

Committee members joked Tuesday that the lawmaker was seeking to shorten his own commute to the Capitol in Boise, but he denied being a speed demon.

"I'm one of the people driving home that most cars pass," Davis said.

A quick check of his court record confirms Davis' self-proclaimed Sunday-driver tendencies: He hasn't had a ticket in decades, at least according to Idaho police.

His bill, Davis said, would "take politics out of speed limits" by putting the Idaho Transportation Department in the driver's seat — and leaving the final decision on where speeds would rise to the experts on road design and safety.

"That's what this bill does: it says to the department and to the board 'You use your best judgment,' " he said.

But Michael Kane of AAA said that when it comes to speed limits, the state needs to consider factors like weather, night driving and wear and tear on roads.

"We are going into parts unknown in an area that has not been greatly studied up until now," Kane said. Only a few states have limits higher than 75, he said.

Utah, Idaho's neighbor to the south, upped speed limits on some roads to 80 mph last year.

Kane proposed an amendment to the bill that would delay any speed-limit changes for at least a year to ensure the Idaho Transportation Department can answer questions that might be overlooked.

"When we get to be 80 miles per hour, when do we begin to overdrive our headlights?" he asked. "Is there going to be any consideration for impaired drivers or weather conditions? We assume this, but we don't know."

Smart3
02-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Awesome.

eduardo89
02-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Awesome.

Are you old enough to drive?

DamianTV
02-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Already posted. Edit: Different State

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?443896-Utah-House-approves-80-mph-speed-limit-bill

aGameOfThrones
02-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Already posted.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?443896-Utah-House-approves-80-mph-speed-limit-bill

different state

Smart3
02-13-2014, 04:07 PM

That's a rather silly question. Not only am I old enough, I look way older than I actually am. I could have probably driven at 14 and gotten away with it.

DamianTV
02-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Are you really getting away with something if the action youre performing hurts no one? Like not doing homework or going to school?

Dr.3D
02-13-2014, 04:36 PM
That's the problem. Instead of going by age, they should go by maturity and the question would be, "Are you mature enough to drive?"