PDA

View Full Version : Cop Fired After Shooting Family's Dog

SeanTX
02-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Sounds like he was fired more for trying to "cover it up" than the shooting itself. Of course, most likely he will appeal the firing, and they will be forced to rehire him, with full back pay. If not, plenty of other depts will want him.

http://www.wlos.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wlos_officer-fired-after-dog-shot-15074.shtml

Officer Fired after Dog Shot

Updated: Tuesday, February 11 2014, 03:54 PM EST

A Forest City Police Officer who shot a family's dog is no longer employed by the department. City officials confirm that officer Sean Brooks is no longer employed by the police department. The Packett family says last week, Brooks shot and killed their dog "Raccoon Baby" and tried to cover it up. Brooks told the police chief it was in self defense. So far, no charges have been filed.

SeanTX
02-11-2014, 09:21 PM
More detail in this article ... looks like he was off-duty and shot the dog, then tried to hide it . If he had been on-duty it would have been "Good Shoot!" ...

http://www.thedigitalcourier.com/news/x849282439/Family-dog-shot-police-officer-suspended-from-duty

Family dog shot; police officer suspended from duty
Feb. 09, 2014 @ 05:07 AM

Jean Gordon/Daily Courier Forest City Police Chief Jay Jackson said Officer Sean Brooks has been suspended pending further investigation into the shooting death of Brooks' neighbor's dog. Brooks said he acted in self defense.
FOREST CITY —

Zaley Packett's favorite thing to do with her Boxer bulldog was to cuddle. When 8-year-old Zaley, daughter of Mike and Christy Packett, went to bed at night, Raccoon Baby was always beside her.

Zaley was taken out of school Friday morning where she is a second grader at Forrest Hunt Elementary School so her parents could tell her the fate of her playmate of six years, Raccoon.

Thursday afternoon Raccoon was found dead of a gunshot wound between her eyes in the woods about 150 yards from Mike, Christy and Zaley Packett's home off Valley View Drive in Forest City.

Forest City Police Officer Sean Brooks, who also lives on Valley View Drive, was placed on paid suspension from his duties regarding shooting the neighbor's dog while off-duty.

snip

According to Jackson, Brooks admitted shooting the six-year-old boxer and said it was "in self-defense of his family and wife."

However, there was no police incident report of any dog being aggressive and no police report was filed of shooting an animal inside city limits, which is unlawful.

snip

"He was an off duty officer, used his own personal weapon and said the dog was aggressive with him . . . he never came to us to tell us he had to shoot my dog," Mike said.

snip

Mani
02-11-2014, 09:39 PM
YES, he got busted because he forgot to file a bogus report that says, "I feared for my safety and killed the beast."

Glad to see someone paid some consequence for killing someone's pet, but seems it was a technicality which got him screwed.

FindLiberty
02-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Maybe the cop gave up too soon, instead should have tried to revive the dog like in the movie, "Something About Mary".

Yea, the technicality probably got him in trouble, not the act of killing the dog.

LibertyEagle
02-11-2014, 10:28 PM
He'll just go to the city nearby and voila, cop again.

DamianTV
02-12-2014, 06:05 AM
He'll just go to the city nearby and voila, cop again.

I wish I didnt think you were absolutely right.