PDA

View Full Version : THE DAY WE FIGHT BACK!

Barrex
02-11-2014, 03:05 AM
TODAY WE FIGHT BACK!
http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140204182108/central/images/f/f4/The_Day_We_Fight_Back_-_banner_%281%29.jpg

https://thedaywefightback.org/

This concerted effort will take the form of a webpage banner-advertisement that calls on viewers to contact their local representatives and urge them to oppose the FISA Improvements Act and support the USA Freedom Act, which digital privacy advocates argue provides more meaningful reform to the intelligence program. Although it deals with these proposed U.S. laws specifically, the central idea underlying this protest is to raise awareness of mass surveillance and ask online communities and citizens how these issues affect them.

It got the ticker and everything :D

CALLS PLACED
EMAILS SENT
SIGNATURES SO FAR(global)

Minute later:

They are asking for email and name... Anyone knows anything more about this?

Origanalist
02-11-2014, 03:12 AM
I brought it to Byran's attention yesterday. Apparently it passed his scrutiny as it's posted here now. I'm going to do this in the morning.

Edit, he was already considering it.

Czolgosz
02-11-2014, 04:58 AM
lawl

FindLiberty
02-11-2014, 05:10 AM
No.

Natural Citizen
02-11-2014, 05:56 AM
The thing that bugs me about this is that it reminds me of why I dislike PACs so much. It reminds me of their constant drive to hijack the terms of controversy in our political processes as well as the practice of assuming our roles as individual citizens in the representation department.

As soon as I saw that box that said all I had to do was give them my phone number and they would send me a script I said to myself "you know what?...pack sand!" Then I closed out the window. I can think for myself, thank you very much. Politically driven non profits, in my opinion, equate to just another corporation seeking your identity in the political process of representation and eventually what should be your representation is then reframed into terms of controversy that support a non individual model. By default they contradict the interest of the individual, these, poltical corporations. Or "non-profits", as they're known these days.

Sure, it's a practical cause initsface but it's the model that stinks to me.

Heh. Send me a script...:rolleyes:

And speaking of this particular phenomenon, what we really need to be concerned about right now is the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement. That's what we really need to be talking about with our representatives.

Origanalist
02-11-2014, 08:30 AM
The thing that bugs me about this is that it reminds me of why I dislike PACs so much. It reminds me of their constant drive to hijack the terms of controversy in our political processes as well as the practice of assuming our roles as individual citizens in the representation department.

As soon as I saw that box that said all I had to do was give them my phone number and they would send me a script I said to myself "you know what?...pack sand!" Then I closed out the window. I can think for myself, thank you very much. Politically driven non profits, in my opinion, equate to just another corporation seeking your identity in the political process of representation and eventually what should be your representation is then reframed into terms of controversy that support a non individual model. By default they contradict the interest of the individual, these, poltical corporations. Or "non-profits", as they're known these days.

Sure, it's a practical cause initsface but it's the model that stinks to me.

Heh. Send me a script...:rolleyes:

And speaking of this particular phenomenon, what we really need to be concerned about right now is the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement. That's what we really need to be talking about with our representatives.

So send me a script.

Origanalist
02-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Really, that's ridiculous. So don't use their script, use your own. I'm sure they won't mind. And if you are worried about the email, make a temporary one and then close it.

Origanalist
02-11-2014, 11:11 AM
http://www.reddit.com/r/blog/comments/1xm3qu/today_we_fight_back_against_mass_surveillance/
1445 comments
Couldn't get through to Senator Mitch McConnell or Senator Rand Paul. The lines are too busy already. NICE.
EDIT: I just got through to Rand Paul's office, and his clerk said Paul is going to serve the class-action anti-NSA lawsuit in the next one or two days. I'm a reporter here in Kentucky, so not only did I do my political part, I got a story tip! Sweet!
OTHER EDIT: Thanks for the gold, anonymous gifter -- you are a rad person. I have a message in to Sen. Paul's office's press-line (even though technically I left the newsroom 2 hours ago ... hooray, morning news hours) buuut I bet his press secretary is kinda busy today for some reason. I'll update this comment when there is news worth reporting. CALL ONWARDS, BADASSES
[–]hueypriest[S] 542 points 2 hours ago
Thank you for taking action and thank you for covering this issue. Keep us updated.
permalinkparent
[–]sterbz 88 points 2 hours ago
I contacted my local offices in Georgia and had the message sent over. Shared with my Facebook friends as well.
permalinkparent
[–]mentelligence 56 points 1 hour ago
Same here - I was able to get through right away and both of the senators' aides seemed unhappy to hear me ask about their stance on the issue. My representative's aide just put me on hold.
I love Reddit.
permalinkparent
[–]writer85 9 points 35 minutes ago
Just did my part in New York...I feel so...American!
permalinkparent
load more comments (2 replies)
[–]ebwaked 11 points 1 hour ago
Dialed and shared! Nc represent!
permalinkparent
[–]TheVacillate 5 points 1 hour ago
Did Paul Broun's office hang up on you? Just curious of it was just a bad connection or if they're really hanging up on the calls they're getting today.
permalinkparent
load more comments (1 reply)
[–]bazinga3604 18 points 54 minutes ago
I work in a congressional office. Our phones have been ringing all morning. I also did my part and marked my own comment down on our call log in favor of this.
permalinkparent
load more comments (3 replies)
[–]Full_on_throwaway 50 points 1 hour ago
What can us non Americans do?
permalinkparent
[–]i_lost_my_password 60 points 1 hour ago
https://necessaryandproportionate.org/take-action/EFF
permalinkparent
[–]IM_NOT_A_SMART_GUY 24 points 1 hour ago
This is actually a really good link. After you've signed it if gives you the option to take action in the country you live in. I guess two signatures is better than one.
permalinkparent
load more comments (22 replies)
[–]EllaMinnow 24 points 1 hour ago
I'll be shocked if his office gets a free 5 minutes to return my press-line phone call today, if their call volume stays this high. But I'll definitely update this comment if they do and I can get details.
permalinkparent
load more comments (4 replies)
[–]glass_hedgehog 39 points 1 hour ago
We Kentuckians really need to pressure McConnell. He is actually facing a primary this year, and the more Kentuckians who contact him about this the better. He might start to feel the pressure.
permalinkparent
[–]EllaMinnow 9 points 1 hour ago
You know what we should do? Call Grimes' office, and demand a statement on the USA FREEDOM Act and the other bills up for vote.
permalinkparent
[–]glass_hedgehog 12 points 1 hour ago
Call Grimes AND Bevin. Really make that old turtle sweat. He lost my vote the day he said his only goal was to make Obama a one-term president. Not only was his top priority NOT the state of Kentucky, but he couldn't even accomplish the one thing he set out to do. I want McConnell to loose to Bevin in the primary and I want Bevin to loose to Grimes in the general election. Long shot, I know. But a girl can dream.
permalinkparent
[–]EllaMinnow 6 points 1 hour ago
What scares the bejeesus out of me is the idea that Bevin primaries out McConnell, but then manages to swing enough to the middle to get right-wingers who weren't paying attention to vote for him in the general. Because Bevin is WHACKED, and no state that sucks in as many federal benefits as ours (HELLO, APPALACHIA) should be voting red anyway (so much of our state can't survive without food stamps, SERIOUSLY), but we do and it baffles me (no, I know the real reasons, but they're too sad for me to think about ...).
I have a lot of Thoughts About Grimes, mostly about how pissed I am she got the nomination and how the state's Democratic machine shot itself in the foot, shin, calf, femur, you name it by doing that. But yeah, CALL 'EM ALL, let's light up the lines and let them know what we think.
permalinkparent
[–]glass_hedgehog 4 points 1 hour ago
I thought about switching my registration so I could vote in a primary for once, but decided against it. The pro for switching was that I could potentially vote against McConnell TWICE! The con, however, was that I did not want to be responsible in any way for Bevin winning in November. I agree with you--I do not want to see Bevin in office.
permalinkparent
[–]TheVacillate 11 points 1 hour ago
I called my representatives in Georgia, and Paul Broun's office hung up on me. Otherwise it went well.
permalinkparent
[–]holcombj1 41 points 1 hour ago
Another fellow Kentuckian here about to call in. Props to Rand Paul!
permalinkparent
[–]Thjoth 25 points 1 hour ago
I shot AR-15s with him once at Knob Creek. He's pretty OK for a politician.
permalinkparent
[–]DoctorAwesomeBallz69 10 points 57 minutes ago
Sounds more like Rad Paul, to me.
The Rad Bad Randy Paul
permalinkparent
[–]holcombj1 10 points 1 hour ago
If I could shoot AR-15s with Rand Paul I would be sooo happy
permalinkparent
[–]Thjoth 11 points 1 hour ago
It was honestly the most American thing I think I've ever done. Arfcom was hosting a shoot at Knob Creek and he showed up with his PSD team and hung out for a while.
permalinkparent
[–]EricChurchisCool 30 points 2 hours ago
Fellow Kentuckian here. Thanks for your work. I'm going to call them when I get out of class.

mczerone
02-11-2014, 11:35 AM
I have a couple of problems with this: first, there's no way to guarantee that this USA FREEDOM Act will limit the NSA, at all. Even if it passed in a relatively 'pure' form, the NSA would simply go back to clandestine surveillance. I'd rather have them as much out in as possible, and "outlawing" what they do will just drive them underground.

Second, want to get on NSA's red-flag list? Sign up to limit the NSA!

Lastly, this just legitimizes everything that the NSA does that's not on the new bill's "bad" list.

Natural Citizen
02-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Really, that's ridiculous. So don't use their script, use your own. I'm sure they won't mind. And if you are worried about the email, make a temporary one and then close it.

It's just the principle of it, O. It's not the script, per se. And I don't really care about the email or phone number. Cripes, politicians call here all of the time.

I'm just so tired of these PACs and non profit political companies doing the navigating. These are social constructs. Our founders didn't need a PAc or a non-profit. So then how come all of a sudden we need a PAC or political corporation running the ship?

I just don't agree with the idea of PACs and political non-profits across the board. They are the antithesis of individul liberty and the historic role of the individual in having any relevance in ensuring a body representative of his/her interest.

Origanalist
02-11-2014, 02:12 PM
It's just the principle of it, O. It's not the script, per se. And I don't really care about the email or phone number. Cripes, politicians call here all of the time.

I'm just so tired of these PACs and non profit political companies doing the navigating. These are social constructs. Our founders didn't need a PAc or a non-profit. So then how come all of a sudden we need a PAC or political corporation running the ship?

I just don't agree with the idea of PACs and political non-profits across the board. They are the antithesis of individul liberty and the historic role of the individual in having any relevance in ensuring a body representative of his/her interest.

Meh. There seems to be next to no interest here for this either way. It is what it is.

kahless
02-11-2014, 02:37 PM
I do not like the idea that they want you to use their own scripts hosted at cloudflare. The even say do not copy the banners and rather use the javascript that loads the images from cloudflare. Why should webmasters give their hosting stats to this group and violate the privacy of their users.

Anyway I participated by copying a few banners and combined them as one to fit the right size to be hosted directly from my site. That way my users are not tracked by them and they can simply click on the Ad to participate if they wish.

milgram
02-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Well, previous attempts for public activism on this issue have failed to produce any significant results. That's what I find more disappointing -- it seems to be very difficult to reach a critical mass of engagement without securing the endorsement of several internet and tech giants.

That said, I'm glad something is finally happening, even if the Freedom Act is a tepid bill. Hopefully this will be beginning rather than the end.