PDA

View Full Version : NYC Mayor de Blasio addresses income equality

aGameOfThrones
02-10-2014, 02:51 PM
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/n0kEfPpnBl98L4ssWSTU5g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTYzOTtweW9mZj0wO3E9Nz U7dz05NjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/58765136a4fd56054b0f6a7067001fd9.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — Mayor Bill de Blasio, delivering one of the most important speeches of his young administration, on Monday outlined his vision for New York and offered a glimpse into his signature goal of fighting the city's widening income inequality gap.

Among other things, de Blasio plans to ask state lawmakers next week for the power to raise the minimum wage.

"We want to ensure that New Yorkers aren't relegated to the ranks of the poor when putting in a full week's work," he said. "We will send a powerful signal to the people of New York — that we honor work ... and that we are committed to making work pay."

De Blasio also said municipal ID cards will be available to all residents this year regardless of their immigration status, "so that no daughter or son of our city goes without bank accounts, leases, library cards simply because they lack identification."

Fresh off a landslide election that he believes gives him a strong mandate, de Blasio is calling for sweeping liberal legislative action to close the gap between the nation's largest city's haves and have-nots.

http://news.yahoo.com/nyc-mayor-blasio-addresses-income-equality-170401122.html

Christian Liberty
02-10-2014, 02:53 PM
ID-everyone. Yeah, there's TOTALLY no power grab intended there...

Root
02-10-2014, 03:06 PM
So when is he going to start giving away Bloomberg's money?

Kords21
02-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Bloomberg's and his own money. Show us how much you care with your own money Bill

Anti Federalist
02-10-2014, 03:25 PM
LOL - "Red" DiBlasio being red.

NYC wants this, let 'em have it.

ravedown
02-10-2014, 03:26 PM
hey, guess what....nobody on the west coast really cares what the mayor of some goofy city on the east coast does. there are a lot of dumb people that vote for dumb politicians in a lot of cities. i know the MSM wants NY to represent the rest of the country and NY is the center of the media universe, but we get it already. NY'ers make a lot of bad decisions when it comes to elections, this current one seems to be ahead of schedule. they get what they deserve, hope they choke on it.

AuH20
02-10-2014, 03:27 PM
De Blasio also said municipal ID cards will be available to all residents this year regardless of their immigration status, "so that no daughter or son of our city goes without bank accounts, leases, library cards simply because they lack identification."

Why do we need permits to exercise the 2nd amendment?

Anti Federalist
02-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Among other things, de Blasio plans to ask state lawmakers next week for the power to raise the minimum wage.

"We want to ensure that New Yorkers aren't relegated to the ranks of the poor when putting in a full week's work," he said. "We will send a powerful signal to the people of New York — that we honor work ... and that we are committed to making work pay."

You'd better raise that to at least $100 bucks an hour.

That's about what it takes to live comfortably in Manhattan.

Anti Federalist
02-10-2014, 03:28 PM

tod evans
02-10-2014, 03:36 PM

$4k week, fuck yeah!

Go NY.......

Right down the tubes!

Philhelm
02-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Why do we need permits to exercise the 2nd amendment?

Your kind ain't welcome 'round those parts. Best to keep walkin'.

Philhelm
02-10-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure this guy's income is greater than mine. I demand redress.

Acala
02-10-2014, 03:51 PM
I think it would great if they teach us all a lesson and raise the hell out of that minimum wage. If they really believe it is good policy and really want to equalize income, why NOT $100 an hour like AF suggests? Let's make it nice and clear. Jack it way up there.

jonhowe
02-10-2014, 05:05 PM

I make about $800 a week and live quite well in Manhattan. Saving money, in fact. Just can't expect to live in Midtown, SoHo, the Village, or some place where every single other person wants to live too.

My view:
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/156580_10201151053278748_1032095309_n.jpg

That being said, I am shocked this city is still standing, with the politicians we have.

Anti Federalist
02-10-2014, 05:11 PM
You make $800 gross a week and can afford NYC?

Supporting a family as well?

Well I guess I'm doing it all wrong then.

I make about $800 a week and live quite well in Manhattan. Saving money, in fact. Just can't expect to live in Midtown, SoHo, the Village, or some place where every single other person wants to live too.

My view:
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/156580_10201151053278748_1032095309_n.jpg

That being said, I am shocked this city is still standing, with the politicians we have.

jonhowe
02-10-2014, 05:22 PM
You make $800 gross a week and can afford NYC?

Supporting a family as well?

Well I guess I'm doing it all wrong then.

Psh, no. Condoms are cheaper than kids.

My rent is about $600 a month (splitting a 3 bedroom on the 7th floor of a walkup in Washington Heights with 2 others). I do all my own cooking (though, sometimes I buy tamales from the 'illegal' food carts for $1 a piece). I buy everything in bulk (food, beer and other intoxicants, socks, etc). I work out in my apartment instead of going to the gym. I walk whenever possible to save money. I sold my air conditioner so I wouldn't spike my electric bill. I don't have cable tv, just $20/month.

If Ron Paul's campaign has taught me anything, it's to live below my means. I've even had enough left over to buy some gold recently.

Anti Federalist
02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Good job.

My rent is about $600 a month (splitting a 3 bedroom on the 7th floor of a walkup in Washington Heights with 2 others). I do all my own cooking (though, sometimes I buy tamales from the 'illegal' food carts for $1 a piece). I buy everything in bulk (food, beer and other intoxicants, socks, etc). I work out in my apartment instead of going to the gym. I walk whenever possible to save money. I sold my air conditioner so I wouldn't spike my electric bill. I don't have cable tv, just $20/month.

If Ron Paul's campaign has taught me anything, it's to live below my means. I've even had enough left over to buy some gold recently.

CaptUSA
02-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Yeah, there's no surer way to eliminate the income inequality gap than to price those at the bottom out of entry into the labor market. :rolleyes:

ClydeCoulter
02-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Well, lots of us on the forum think that 50 experiments is better than one big mistake, right?

ClydeCoulter
02-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Well, lots of us on the forum think that 50 experiments is better than one big mistake, right?

But, yeah, we would have to learn from the mistakes that any of the 50 smaller ones make, in order for it to be of any value.

Ronin Truth
02-10-2014, 11:45 PM
How much does the NYC Mayor make? How many NYC taxpayers make that much? Put up or shut up, Commie bastard.

tod evans
02-10-2014, 11:47 PM
How much does the NYC Mayor make? How many NYC taxpayers make that much? Put up or shut up, Commie bastard.

No, no, no..........It's those damn businesses not the silk suits. :rolleyes:

Zap!
02-11-2014, 02:23 PM

If you're making your rent ($600) in less than a week's pay ($800), well, don't take this the wrong way, but it's a tad cheap to not have cable or A/C. You can easily afford it. I make what you make, pay more in rent ($750), have A/C and cable, plus a car and have plenty left over to spend. They say anyone who makes their rent in less than two weeks is good economically.

Summer in NYC indoors is a nightmare with no A/C.

Acala
02-11-2014, 02:41 PM
These "boots on the ground" reports of the cost of living in Manhattan are very interesting and inspiring. Thanks guys.

jonhowe
02-11-2014, 10:04 PM
If you're making your rent ($600) in less than a week's pay ($800), well, don't take this the wrong way, but it's a tad cheap to not have cable or A/C. You can easily afford it. I make what you make, pay more in rent ($750), have A/C and cable, plus a car and have plenty left over to spend. They say anyone who makes their rent in less than two weeks is good economically.

Summer in NYC indoors is a nightmare with no A/C.

I am a cheap person I guess. The only true luxury I buy is craft beer. And since I'm a manager at a craft beer store/bar... that's not a huge expense. Plus, I'm saving to invest in a few projects (my brother's brewery, Enlightenment Ales, needs to expand, my neighbors are starting a catering business, one of the smartest people I know is making an "app" I think could work, etc), buying gold, and making sure I have a few thousand dollars put aside at all times in case I lose my job/get hurt/etc. Also, a car would be pretty useless in this area. When I lived in Brooklyn I had one and rarely used it. And it got broken into 4 times in a year.

Hell, I spend my weekend (monday-wednesday) doing odd jobs. Some online, some in person on CL. I'm even doing a research study at columbia where they'll be giving me "illicit substances" and scanning me in an MRI.

I've been too close to destitute too many times in my short life to feel comfortable living any other way.

Plus, cable is for suckers. I want to watch things when I want to watch them, in the order I want to watch them. Since September, for example, I have watched every episode, in order, of Star Trek Original Series, Star Trek Next Generation, and Star Trek Deep Space Nine. For $7 a month. Can't do that with cable.