PDA

View Full Version : Tax By Mile Goose Steps Forward

Anti Federalist
02-10-2014, 12:32 AM
Tax By Mile Goose Steps Forward

by eric • February 6, 2014

http://ericpetersautos.com/2014/02/06/tax-mile-moves-forward-another-step/

I hate to say I told you so . . . but, yeah, I told you so.

The fuel-efficient (and planet friendly) hybrid/electric vehicles the government has been aggressively encouraging people to buy via generous (with other people’s money) manufacturer and retail subsidies/tax incentives?

The ever-upticking of federal fuel efficiency mandates - set to crest 35 MPG on average less than two years from now and then, perhaps ascend to 54.5 MPG by 2025 – that were touted as a way to make driving more “affordable” for cash-strapped Americans?

It was another long con.

The object has never been to give American drivers a break, to make it less expensive to get around. It has always been to construct yet another way to fleece and control them. By pushing “efficient” cars, a new crisis has been manufactured: There’s not adequate revenue from motor fuels taxes flowing into state and county coffers because hybrid/electric cars and the latest fuel-sippy conventional cars are too efficient.

And the solution to this manufactured crisis?

Tax drivers by the mile instead.

Washington state’s Transportation Commission is pushing for exactly that – and it’s merely the opening libretto for what will inevitably become as inescapable as income and property taxes.

The “. . . move to cleaner, smarter vehicles must be accompanied by a change in the way we pay for our roads” announces the official release accompanying pending highway funding proposals (news story here).

And the “new way” is making drivers pay for every mile they travel.

The irony? Hybrid/electric car and conventional economy car owners would pay just as much as the guy driving a 10 MPG Hummer.

And they’ll all be paying through the nose.

But at least the Hummer driver gets to drive… well, a Hummer. The Prius driver is stuck with his Al Goremobile – and no “discount” for being concerned about his “footprint” or energy use.

So much for saving the planet.

If it passes, the system would begin to be put into place by 2015.

And it’s a two-fer.

Not only is it a new way to tax – and to increase taxes (people will pay more per-mile than they currently pay at the pump) it is also a way to monitor people’s movements. To know exactly how far they drive – and, potentially – when and where they drive.

Also how fast they drive there.

How so?

By real-time data transmission, via the receive/transmit capability most new cars (and most recent model cars) have had built into them. Some of this is already mandated by law. Event Data Recorders (“black boxes”) for instance. And the government is at this very moment “considering” that so-called Vehicle to Vehicle (V2V) communications capability be made mandatory (news story here). V2V would mean all new cars continuously broadcast their location, their speed and other data to other cars in the area – ostensibly to reduce crashes due to driver inattention. Of course this data would be “open” – like Wi Fi at Starbucks - and could just as easily be received/recorded by government for purposes other than “safety.”

It is no great leap forward, in terms of technology, to have a car periodically transmit its current odometer reading – and other data – to a government server. You’d be dunned automatically, perhaps – as is already done using those “EZ Pass” electronic transponders many commuters already have in their cars, in order to not have to stop at toll booths.

But unlike EZ Pass – which you don’t have to have – in this case, you’d have no choice. Submit to government monitoring of your driving and be taxed accordingly.

Or be an outlaw.

The logic flows ineluctably. It will be so much more efficient this way. No need to go in for periodic odometer checks. Just like Smart Meters which transmit data about your electricity usage. It will all be handled seamlessly by – one can almost hear the echo of Dr. Strangelove – computers.

The plan set forth by the Washington State Transportation Commission practically drools with anticipation over the prospect of the projected $3 billion haul that could be achieved by direct mulcting of motorists as opposed to motor fuels taxes.

Other state government apparatchiks are surely drooling, too.

Bear in mind that motor fuels taxes are already extortionate. Grossly regressive and disproportionate. On average, the price of a gallon of gas includes at least 50 cents in federal/state/local taxes (see here for Congressional Budget Office breakdown).

Consider that.

On a purchase of 15 gallons of gas – which is the tank capacity of the typical compact car nowadays – you’re paying about $8 in taxes.

Now, they want you to pay more. A great deal more.

And not just money.

They want more than merely money.

They want power. To micromanage and control your every movement. It is of a piece with “health care” reform – which encompasses literally everything.

We have arrived at a watershed moment. These people who have arrogated virtually unlimited power are no longer the least bit shy about asserting it. Nothing is beyond their purview. Not how we live, not how how we recreate, not what we eat and drink. Not whom we hire or rent to or even whom we marry.

And soon, not even how far we drive.

If, that is, we simply accept it.

As we have already accepted altogether too many things – from “Homeland” security to genital fondling at the airport to vaginal/anal probing by the side of the road to summary executions of grampas in their garages in the name of “officer safety.”

It has got to be stopped or else – well, it’s going to continue. And, get a whole lot worse.

Simple as that.

When enough of us finally stand our grand and make it clear we’ve had enough, then they’ll back off. But not before. We’ve given them the proverbial inch – and they’ve taken miles.

It’s time to hit the brakes – or else they will step on the gas.

Throw it in the Woods?

http://ericpetersautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/tax-by-mile-6-300x240.jpg

PS: If you like our stuff, please consider supporting EPautos.com. We got dumped by Google – see here for the full story about that - and now we depend on you, the readers, to keep the lights on and the wheels spinning.

The link to our “donate” button is here. You can also mail stuff our way – if you prefer to avoid PayPal. The address is:

EPAutos
721 Hummingbird Lane, SE
Copper Hill, VA 24079

DamianTV
02-10-2014, 02:25 AM
Theyre out of their rabid ass minds if they think im going to try to hold on to every gas receipt until the end of eternity. Hell, the ones that sit in my pocket for more than 3 days are comletely illegible. Gas hog or hybrid, the message is the same: they control you.

Occam's Banana
02-10-2014, 03:23 AM
Theyre out of their rabid ass minds if they think im going to try to hold on to every gas receipt until the end of eternity. Hell, the ones that sit in my pocket for more than 3 days are comletely illegible.

They aren't going to need your receipts ...

By real-time data transmission, via the receive/transmit capability most new cars (and most recent model cars) have had built into them. Some of this is already mandated by law. Event Data Recorders (“black boxes”) for instance. And the government is at this very moment “considering” that so-called Vehicle to Vehicle (V2V) communications capability be made mandatory (news story here). V2V would mean all new cars continuously broadcast their location, their speed and other data to other cars in the area – ostensibly to reduce crashes due to driver inattention. Of course this data would be “open” – like Wi Fi at Starbucks - and could just as easily be received/recorded by government for purposes other than “safety.”

It is no great leap forward, in terms of technology, to have a car periodically transmit its current odometer reading – and other data – to a government server. You’d be dunned automatically, perhaps – as is already done using those “EZ Pass” electronic transponders many commuters already have in their cars, in order to not have to stop at toll booths.

angelatc
02-10-2014, 03:47 AM
With the caveat of using the odometer instead of electronic tracking, I still think that taxing by mileage is more libertarian than just a flat tax.

mrsat_98
02-10-2014, 04:30 AM
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/104

(a) All taxes levied by any State, Territory, or the District of Columbia upon, with respect to, or measured by, sales, purchases, storage, or use of gasoline or other motor vehicle fuels may be levied, in the same manner and to the same extent, with respect to such fuels when sold by or through post exchanges, ship stores, ship service stores, commissaries, filling stations, licensed traders, and other similar agencies, located on United States military or other reservations, when such fuels are not for the exclusive use of the United States. Such taxes, so levied, shall be paid to the proper taxing authorities of the State, Territory, or the District of Columbia, within whose borders the reservation affected may be located.
(b) The officer in charge of such reservation shall, on or before the fifteenth day of each month, submit a written statement to the proper taxing authorities of the State, Territory, or the District of Columbia within whose borders the reservation is located, showing the amount of such motor fuel with respect to which taxes are payable under subsection (a) for the preceding month.
(c) As used in this section, the term “Territory” shall include Guam.

DamianTV
02-10-2014, 05:19 AM
Maybe instead of raising taxes, they just spend less?

Maybe ditch the gas tax and stop buying Grenade Launchers and tanks for Cops, and 100 Cops for every 50 citizens?

Maybe if people went back to work, they'd actually spend more because they have more to spend?

Maybe if they were in our shoes...

tod evans
02-10-2014, 06:09 AM

Their gilded shoes paid for with tax-dollars and borrowed money suit them fine.

Expect the jack-boots to enforce all new edicts with impunity..

Philhelm
02-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Maybe instead of raising taxes, they just spend less?

Maybe ditch the gas tax and stop buying Grenade Launchers and tanks for Cops, and 100 Cops for every 50 citizens?

Maybe if people went back to work, they'd actually spend more because they have more to spend?

Why should they do any of those things? What consequences are there for them?

jtap
02-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Sounds great! What could go wrong? :D

I think these days I really only carry my gun so that when the government catches me not doing their will I can just take the easy way out; it's not for protection anymore.

jbauer
02-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Theres got to be a way around such a thing. Car computer hacks will become the norm. Of course if the "machine" doesn't know where you're at they'll probably send the boys in blue and black to find you.

ZENemy
02-10-2014, 10:27 AM
If my kid was 17 trillion in debt, I would cut him off.

WTF are we doing.

Anti Federalist
02-10-2014, 11:16 AM
With the caveat of using the odometer instead of electronic tracking, I still think that taxing by mileage is more libertarian than just a flat tax.

A flat tax or use tax like tolls or per gallon gas tax?

If there is going to be a tax, then I can think of no better way to administer than by fuel taxes...you ultimately have a little control over it, use less gas, pay less tax.

But always keep in mind, this has NOTHING to do with taxes, that's just the smoke screen.

It's all about keeping you under even more surveillance.

oyarde
02-10-2014, 11:38 AM

If there is going to be a tax, then I can think of no better way to administer than by fuel taxes...you ultimately have a little control over it, use less gas, pay less tax.

But always keep in mind, this has NOTHING to do with taxes, that's just the smoke screen.

It's all about keeping you under even more surveillance. I tend to agree that this is not about tax collection .

jtap
02-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Anyone actually think they will charge by the mile and drop the gas tax? The gas users will get double-dipped.

Anti Federalist
02-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Anyone actually think they will charge by the mile and drop the gas tax? The gas users will get double-dipped.

Not for a second.

Philhelm
02-10-2014, 01:50 PM
If my kid was 17 trillion in debt, I would cut him off.

WTF are we doing.

Well, in this case, your kid is 300 lbs. and is holding a shotgun to your head while his friends hold you down.

DamianTV
02-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Why should they do any of those things? What consequences are there for them?

Basically, incentives.

People respond to incentives. If people have high taxes, high cost of living, low paying jobs (if available), and a local govt that discourages growth, the incentive is to leave. Down the drain, the state has no other choice but to raise taxes even higher and discourage growth even more and even more people respond to the incentive to leave. On the other hand, lowering taxes or eliminating some of them altogether can offset a high cost of living, encourage new businesses, there is an incentive for people to stay and move to there thus increasing the revenue from existing taxes, they end up making more instead of less. I know it makes little sense to anyone to lower taxes to bring in more money. But really its not any different than a sale. Lower profit margin is more than offset by increased sales which increases overall sales. The reduction in cost by a decent ammt increases sales. Reduce the cost (taxes) too much and the benefits disappear. For example, instead of 10% off of an item, profits go up, but offer a sale of 90% reduces overall profits.

Lowering taxes instead of finding new ones to impose or replace is an incentive to grow. I have a feeling most already know this however.

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2014, 04:27 PM

It's all about keeping you under even more surveillance.

Agree.

Now who could possibly benefit from switching from fuel tax to mileage tax? Oh yeah, probably our friends at the US Chamber of Commerce again.

You know it.