PDA

View Full Version : Federal Regulations Have Made You 75% Poorer

Feeding the Abscess
02-09-2014, 11:07 PM
I wonder how much impact state and local regulations have had?

http://reason.com/archives/2013/06/21/federal-regulations-have-made-you-75-per

The growth of federal regulations over the past six decades has cut U.S. economic growth by an average of 2 percentage points per year, according to a new study in the Journal of Economic Growth. As a result, the average American household receives about $277,000 less annually than it would have gotten in the absence of six decades of accumulated regulations—a median household income of $330,000 instead of the $53,000 we get now.

The researchers, economists John Dawson of Appalachian State University and John Seater of North Carolina State, constructed an index of federal regulations by tracking the growth in the number of pages in the Code of Federal Regulations since 1949. The number of pages, they note, has increased six-fold from 19,335 in 1949 to 134,261 in 2005. (As of 2011, the number of pages had risen to 169,301.) They devise a pretty standard endogenous growth theory model and then insert their regulatory burden index to calculate how federal regulations have affected economic growth. (Sometimes deregulation extends rather than shortens the number of pages in the register; they adjust their figures to take this into account.)

Annual output in 2005, they conclude, "is 28 percent of what it would have been had regulation remained at its 1949 level." The proliferation of federal regulations especially affects the rate of improvement in total factor productivity, a measure of technological dynamism and increasing efficiency. Regulations also affect the allocation of labor and capital—by, say, raising the costs of new hires or encouraging investment in favored technologies. Overall, they calculate, if regulation had remained at the same level as in 1949, current GDP would have been $53.9 trillion instead of $15.1 in 2011. In other words, current U.S. GDP in 2011 was $38.8 trillion less than it might have been.

More at the link.

Christian Liberty
02-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Is this really a direct comparison? In other words, woul d the average person really have $330,000 (or the equivalent) in disposable income if it wasn't for the Feds? Or is there more to it than that? Can we really know?

enhanced_deficit
02-09-2014, 11:37 PM
That money goes to pay for $400/gallon gas in Afghanistan among other things.

oyarde
02-09-2014, 11:41 PM
I would go so far to say that my total accumulated wealth would be at least twice as high without the Feds. That is a lot of stealing .Stealing is wrong .

2young2vote
02-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Wouldn't surprise me. Government is the sole reason for slow economic growth. It is no surprise that the internet, which is almost entirely unregulated, is growing dozens of times faster than the actual economy. You literally just pay a few dollars to get a name, and pay a couple dollars a month to host your website and you can do pretty much whatever you want. Imagine if it were the same with your physical property - you throw an open sign on your front door and BAM, you have a retail store.

DamianTV
02-10-2014, 02:16 AM
Is this really a direct comparison? In other words, woul d the average person really have $330,000 (or the equivalent) in disposable income if it wasn't for the Feds? Or is there more to it than that? Can we really know?

Keep in mind the other way to do it would be to have gas that cost just 12 cents a gallon.

thoughtomator
02-10-2014, 02:51 AM
Feds stole everything from me. And had I worked harder during my life to earn more, they would have stolen that too.

DamianTV
02-10-2014, 02:56 AM
Feds stole everything from me. And had I worked harder during my life to earn more, they would have stolen that too.

What happened?

thoughtomator
02-10-2014, 03:03 AM
What happened?

What didn't happen? Directly discriminated against in school 2x for being white, and for being male. Screwed on student loans. Screwed on taxes. Screwed by having the feds deliberately import well over a million foreigners to directly compete against me in my industry, in one of the most massive labor dumps in human history. Screwed by the monetary system, screwed by deliberate inflation, screwed by serial bubble blowing, screwed by 0% (real negative) interest rates. Screwed again for being white and male again in employment, and again with my corporate LLC. When older members of my family die, they will steal my inheritance. When I die, they will steal my kids' inheritance. The country of my birth has saddled me with every economic disadvantage it possibly could other than directly calling me out by name for singular punishment.

DamianTV
02-10-2014, 04:40 PM
What didn't happen? Directly discriminated against in school 2x for being white, and for being male. Screwed on student loans. Screwed on taxes. Screwed by having the feds deliberately import well over a million foreigners to directly compete against me in my industry, in one of the most massive labor dumps in human history. Screwed by the monetary system, screwed by deliberate inflation, screwed by serial bubble blowing, screwed by 0% (real negative) interest rates. Screwed again for being white and male again in employment, and again with my corporate LLC. When older members of my family die, they will steal my inheritance. When I die, they will steal my kids' inheritance. The country of my birth has saddled me with every economic disadvantage it possibly could other than directly calling me out by name for singular punishment.

Theres a lot of us in the same boat.

ClydeCoulter
02-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Theres a lot of us in the same boat.

You guys need to move over little, I can't use my arms it's so cramped!